Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

inferis posted:

I guess "Always on" wasn't a great catchphrase.

"It just works"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

They must be hosed hard, finally got the windows update installed, and clicking "I'm already a member" on the Apple Music page does nothing

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm assuming it's the servers being hammered but my local stuff is syncing with iCloud Music in iTunes--the stuff that's uploaded is showing on my phone, but it's all greyed out. Am I missing something or should I just give it a bit of time for everything to calm down?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

It's down as far as I know

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

flosofl posted:

So, what's the deal with iTunes Match? It's a completely separate subscription in my Apple Account.

Since all my music has lived there for a while now, should I do a download of my entire library to local storage before I turn it off? Apple's site isn't a real help here.

And what about the songs I have that aren't in the iTunes store/part of the Apple Music offering? Will I need to "re-add" them into Apple Music if I turn off Match?

Self reply, I know. But Mossberg says it will automatically move the music you uploaded over to Apple Music. And he also agrees the whole thing is a bit confusing and more messy than you'd expect from Apple.

http://recode.net/2015/06/30/apple-music-first-look-rich-fluid-but-somewhat-confusing/

quote:

Apple says iTunes Match will still be available for those who don’t subscribe to Apple Music. And, even for subscribers, your iTunes Match music that was manually uploaded remains.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
App Store the app seems completely down for me at the moment. My guess is a server farm is on fire somewhere. Try again tomorrow, I guess.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

App Store the app seems completely down for me at the moment. My guess is a server farm is on fire somewhere. Try again tomorrow, I guess.

It took me 2 hours after work for the the OS and iTunes update to show up in "updates". I think their servers are taking a shellacking.

Wander over the OS X thread, the combo update link is there in the last page or so (at least for OS X, not sure about iTunes)

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Uh, so adding things to my library does nothing. I don't even have an option to LOOK at an iCloud library. Just my offline stuff, and then anything I search for.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It seems aside from Beats 1, this is otherwise just the same product formerly labelled iTunes Radio. It's pretty good, although it still needs a bit more development to compete with Songza, which is probably going to be wrapped into Google Music now that it's not a paid feature in that app.

Sometimes I like to mentally pretend I'm at Disney World, so just take Disney stuff for a weird niche: Songza has stations for classic Disney film soundtracks, a station just the 90s films like Toy Story and Aladdin, and the modern teenie-bopper stuff. It's a good, accurate categorization for the different levels of nostalgia/fandom in their works. Apple has a all-purpose Disney station, a Frozen station, and a "Princesses" station. They all basically play stuff from the past ten years, with one of them giving me classics as well.

If that criticism sounds odd, keep in mind that soundtracks are one of the few categories where curated playlists like this really matters. Most artists will have an alright station simply by doing the Pandora thing of entering their name into search and playing "[Artist Name Here] Radio".

EDIT: This update did do a good job showing you all the curated playlists in the Radio app, though. Formerly you really had to dig around through all the categories and sometimes just search and randomly find one.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 1, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

It seems aside from Beats 1, this is otherwise just the same product formerly labelled iTunes Radio. It's pretty good, although it still needs a bit more development to compete with Songza, which is probably going to be wrapped into Google Music now that it's not a paid feature in that app.

Sometimes I like to mentally pretend I'm at Disney World, so just take Disney stuff for a weird niche: Songza has stations for classic Disney film soundtracks, a station just the 90s films like Toy Story and Aladdin, and the modern teenie-bopper stuff. It's a good, accurate categorization for the different levels of nostalgia/fandom in their works. Apple has a all-purpose Disney station, a Frozen station, and a "Princesses" station. They all basically play stuff from the past ten years, with one of them giving me classics as well.

If that criticism sounds odd, keep in mind that soundtracks are one of the few categories where curated playlists like this really matters. Most artists will have an alright station simply by doing the Pandora thing of entering their name into search and playing "[Artist Name Here] Radio".
Are you missing the "new" tab, which allows you to play (almost) any song on demand?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Are you missing the "new" tab, which allows you to play (almost) any song on demand?

Speaking strictly apples to apples, I'm only looking at the free jukebox radio services here. I won't pay for Apple Music or Spotify or any service like it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Speaking strictly apples to apples, I'm only looking at the free jukebox radio services here. I won't pay for Apple Music or Spotify or any service like it.
Oh. Well then yeah, the radio section is largely the same radio as before.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
St. Vincent is putting together a mixtape for an 11 year old girl on Beats 1 and it's really cool.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
On a radio note, I tried out iTunes artist radio back when it first came out like a year ago or whatever and the selection was laughable at best (putting hardcore jungle drum and bass tracks in with italodisco artists) and I wrote it off as Pandora and even Spotify were much better. Seems like having a year to aggregate data helped because the same couple stations I've just checked out again and the selection is much more tuned to the artist.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
One improvement to the radio side of things is that with an Apple Music subscription you get unlimited skips. That was my biggest annoyance with iTunes Radio. I'm the kind of person who can skip through 20 songs before finding one I want to listen to.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Am I missing something very obvious. I went through my Google play library and added all my artists (was surprised that they had all the artists but a handful of albums were not on Apple) and I was looking for a way to shuffle play all my library. That's what I do a lot with Google play when I get in the car and drive and don't know what to play. Just shuffle my entire library. But I'm not seeing where in Apple Music.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

CancerStick posted:

Am I missing something very obvious. I went through my Google play library and added all my artists (was surprised that they had all the artists but a handful of albums were not on Apple) and I was looking for a way to shuffle play all my library. That's what I do a lot with Google play when I get in the car and drive and don't know what to play. Just shuffle my entire library. But I'm not seeing where in Apple Music.
Click on the My Music tab, sort by Song, click play.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Hamburlgar posted:

I've not updated yet, but in the U.S. do the radio hosts really speak over the songs?!

http://radio.about.com/od/archivednewsondjshosts/a/aa061604a.htm

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

The Devil Tesla posted:

St. Vincent is putting together a mixtape for an 11 year old girl on Beats 1 and it's really cool.

This was actually awesome. Very little talking, just great music.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
Here's (possibly) a dumb question - is it still possible to sync music to an iOS device when Apple Music is enabled? One of the biggest reasons I never used iTunes Match was that I've pretty meticulously managed my library and often had specific pressing of albums that I wanted (e.g. pre- Loudness Wars), and I also apply ReplayGain adjustments to ensure volume consistency between albums.

I know there were ways to avoid this with iTunes Match (by disabling the service, syncing, and reenabling), but I'd prefer something officially supported.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Stutes posted:

Here's (possibly) a dumb question - is it still possible to sync music to an iOS device when Apple Music is enabled? One of the biggest reasons I never used iTunes Match was that I've pretty meticulously managed my library and often had specific pressing of albums that I wanted (e.g. pre- Loudness Wars), and I also apply ReplayGain adjustments to ensure volume consistency between albums.

I know there were ways to avoid this with iTunes Match (by disabling the service, syncing, and reenabling), but I'd prefer something officially supported.

This is niche enough that I think the answer is no. There is an "iCloud music library" switch in Music settings though - no idea what happens if you turn that off but leave Apple music on.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stutes posted:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Having to manually reapply adjustments to every single track isn't really a great solution to his question.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I don't know if this is because I turned I off, but I'm able to sync my phone and still access Apple Music by turning off Cloud Music Library in Settings. I've avoided iTunes Match since it turned a lot of my rap songs into clean versions (also, it's not good about play counts and can break a lot of playlists).

Speaking of which, has anyone played around with integrating Music tracks with their local library in smart playlists?

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The Modern Leper posted:

Speaking of which, has anyone played around with integrating Music tracks with their local library in smart playlists?
Works the same. Apple Music tracks work exactly like anything else but the iCloud status of it is "Apple Music" instead and the file format is m4p instead of m4a.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Stutes posted:

I'm still using Apple Music and syncing my music on my iPhone with my PC.

iTunes Match made a mess of my meticulously curated music, so I just avoided the iCloud stuff and left that off. You can still pull albums from Apple Music that catch your ear, but it won't sync across with your at-home library, if that makes any sense.

Honestly, I'm more impressed with the Radio stations and how well curated they are. That's what's impressed me most about Apple Music so far.

Have we figured out what "heart"-ing music does? As opposed to starring? Is starring just for me and my crazy-autistic smart playlists? What was the point of Genius mixes/Genius Results if I now have to flag everything I "like" again? Is this all for that "Just for You" page?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snuffman posted:

I'm still using Apple Music and syncing my music on my iPhone with my PC.

iTunes Match made a mess of my meticulously curated music, so I just avoided the iCloud stuff and left that off. You can still pull albums from Apple Music that catch your ear, but it won't sync across with your at-home library, if that makes any sense.

Honestly, I'm more impressed with the Radio stations and how well curated they are. That's what's impressed me most about Apple Music so far.

Have we figured out what "heart"-ing music does? As opposed to starring? Is starring just for me and my crazy-autistic smart playlists? What was the point of Genius mixes/Genius Results if I now have to flag everything I "like" again? Is this all for that "Just for You" page?

The heart just sends them data saying "this person like this thing" to help with recommendations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Is there a way to listen to Beats 1 shows after the fact IE the St Vincent show? Caught it a bit, it sounded fun and nice.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I never used Spotify or Pandora so I may be late to the idea, but Apple Music is pretty cool so far. It has a lot more music available than I expected, and using it offline is awesome. I'm already finding new music. This is as close to what I'm looking for I can probably hope for. I'm surprised I even like Beats 1 so far. I'm kind of blown away I can get unlimited access to so much music anytime I want at high quality for only $10 a month and AirPlay it or Bluetooth it wherever I want. The future is pretty dope so far. It sucks Apple Music is ruining so many people's lives around the internet today though.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Consummate Professional posted:

Is there a way to listen to Beats 1 shows after the fact IE the St Vincent show? Caught it a bit, it sounded fun and nice.

This would be cool if they would do that. I listened to that show and I agree.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

I can't find a BBC-style 'listen again' button but a lot of content seems to repeat 12 hours later. I missed St. Vincent's show at 2AM (UK time), but I'll be able to hear it at 2PM today. Same goes for the main DJs: http://applemusic.tumblr.com/beats1

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
There was some confusion about this before launch - does uploading your personal library to Apple Music eat up iCloud storage? I don't see myself ever using it but it never hurts to do it I guess.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

My 5s is 18 months old now. I currently have the awful app and music running and the handset is pretty warm. Not excessively but more than you'd expect. My mum got her 5c replaced due to overheating but that was a couple of months after getting it. Anyone had any similar experiences?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Question Mark Mound posted:

There was some confusion about this before launch - does uploading your personal library to Apple Music eat up iCloud storage? I don't see myself ever using it but it never hurts to do it I guess.

I just looked at my storage and music isn't listed anywhere. That's one of the things your ten bucks goes towards.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just looked at my storage and music isn't listed anywhere. That's one of the things your ten bucks goes towards.
Cool, thanks!

I just activated it on my phone and I don't see any spinny data transfer icon in my status bar. Will it only upload from iTunes on my home PC? I was hoping to get the transfer done in work because frankly, with my home connection, I'll be halfway into my trial before my home internet connection finishes syncing.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

If you tap on the beats 1 show on the radio tab and scroll to the bottom you can tap on a show to get a playlist of everything played on it.

Edit - apparently you can only get this for the 3 main DJs, St. Vincent's show itself isn't up. Odd oversight.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Question Mark Mound posted:

Cool, thanks!

I just activated it on my phone and I don't see any spinny data transfer icon in my status bar. Will it only upload from iTunes on my home PC? I was hoping to get the transfer done in work because frankly, with my home connection, I'll be halfway into my trial before my home internet connection finishes syncing.
It only uploads from a computer BUT it only uploads songs it doesn't have in its library. Matched songs it just adds to your music from the iTunes/Apple Music library.

So if your personal library is largely 2 hour EDM mixes, you might be screwed, but otherwise, it won't be nearly as much as you think.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Endless Mike posted:

It only uploads from a computer BUT it only uploads songs it doesn't have in its library. Matched songs it just adds to your music from the iTunes/Apple Music library.

So if your personal library is largely 2 hour EDM mixes, you might be screwed, but otherwise, it won't be nearly as much as you think.
Never underestimate how bad rural Northern Irish internet is. I might give it a go. Hopefully it matches based off the iTunes library and not the Apple Music one.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Can I add unlimited songs to my iPhone to "listen offline" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Samara posted:

Can I add unlimited songs to my iPhone to "listen offline" ?

No. They take up space like a regular song.

• Locked thread