Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Arcsech posted:

yeah to get set up with F# on windows you install visual studio and the F# Power Tools extension and start coding. no yak shaving required

yeah, is p good. will honestly be a while before i go back to haskell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Algol60.js posted:

Buggy, half-written version of the Algorithmic Language Algol 60.

I wanted to learn Algol, as it is the ancestor of so many great programming languages.

But I'm lazy.

So instead of finding a working implementation, I started implementing it based on the Revised Report on the Algorithmic Language Algol 60.

For educational purposes, enjoy!

Pull requests with sample Algol code or bug fixes welcome.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MononcQc posted:

they replaced the entire facebook chat team by C++ engineers because they didn't feel like hiring new erlang peeps, then a few years later bought a company with <30 of them who handled 500M users easily for 16 billions. I'm guessing they'll try to replace them too.

19 bills

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c terrible machine learning s: lol ml is so much easier when your data isn't hot garbage served up by incompetent doctors

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

*farts a bunch of data into a matrix*
*correlates everything with everything else*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
huh, it says there's a correlation between my posting and unfunny poo poo. must be a bug

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sounds like you're over-fitting to the training data

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
whats a good messaging thing like rabbitmq but... not rabbitmq.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
whichever app is already being used by the majority of the people you work with or whatever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

uncurable mlady posted:

Kafka?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

uncurable mlady posted:

0mq?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

sounds like you're over-fitting to the training data

i sleepily worded that poorly. every signal of type a correlates strongly with every other signal of type a but not as strongly with every other type. same for types b, c, d, and e. strictly classifying off of these correlations is good enough for reasonably good results and i havent really tried to do interesting feature extraction yet or anything these are the base time-domain unfiltered signals it is weird and exciting how well they are behaving i need more data

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
inter app messaging stuff is pretty interesting tho. my mate just got a job working at a bank on a team that maintains their own bespoke messaging system used by pretty much every other system that clients face. i couldnt be responsibile for something like that

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

kinda overkill. there's some apps that use amq but I heard it was kinda lovely

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Valeyard posted:

inter app messaging stuff is pretty interesting tho. my mate just got a job working at a bank on a team that maintains their own bespoke messaging system used by pretty much every other system that clients face. i couldnt be responsibile for something like that

achq

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

geshundheit

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

i sleepily worded that poorly. every signal of type a correlates strongly with every other signal of type a but not as strongly with every other type. same for types b, c, d, and e. strictly classifying off of these correlations is good enough for reasonably good results and i havent really tried to do interesting feature extraction yet or anything these are the base time-domain unfiltered signals it is weird and exciting how well they are behaving i need more data

no I was joking about his bad posts

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Oh I get it now

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

What are you trying to do with it?

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
zeromq is over kill? i was thinking of using it, i wonder if i'm missing something. it seems like its simple unix style sockets, but with java.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
do we have any yosposters working in london? it seems like a big tech place but i cant think of anyone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

malcolm xml iirc?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

handling side effects from this poo poo has been part of my night :eng99: https://blog.thousandeyes.com/route-leak-causes-amazon-and-aws-outage/

(people thought we were down but we weren't and we could do nothing)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

do people actually get poo poo done in hipster langs like haskell and scala and such? i mean, I know the answer is "lol no". everytime i do poo poo in them i'm amazed at the amount of janitoring and yak shaving goes into getting a sensible development environment up and running. especially when i can just suck it up and use Java and just download IntelliJ or Eclipse and get something way more loving useful. am i just a baby who can't live with actual refactorings, autocomplete, codegen, compilation as i type, etc. etc.

i read this about Facebook using haskelland first thought cool, actually using haskell to do useful things! but then you realize that they only got there by having simon loving marlow lead the project. all you need to do useful things with haskell is just hire one of the compiler maintainers!! it's easy.

i wrote a scala at work today that used the totally intuitive <:< operator

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

uncurable mlady posted:

mqtt

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

the talent deficit posted:

i wrote a scala at work today that used the totally intuitive <:< operator

(-_-)

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Has anyone written a functional-language program that is just some huge ASCII picture? Seems like you could use a functional language to top seuss.c

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Valeyard posted:

do we have any yosposters working in london? it seems like a big tech place but i cant think of anyone

I do, couldn't tell by looking at my pay slip though

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pointsofdata posted:

I do, couldn't tell by looking at my pay slip though

not even a deece five and a half figgies, eh?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

VikingofRock posted:

Has anyone written a functional-language program that is just some huge ASCII picture? Seems like you could use a functional language to top seuss.c

sounds like it'd be really easy in non-whitespace-sensitive langs, just add spaces and newlines wherever you want

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Valeyard posted:

i'm looking for haskell/ocaml/f# work and i'm pretty sure they're all in london

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

gonadic io posted:

i'm looking for haskell/ocaml/f# work and i'm pretty sure they're all in london

my b-i-l writes terrible haskell in london but it's for an investment bank, do you really want to be first to the guillotine?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Soricidus posted:

my b-i-l writes terrible haskell in london but it's for an investment bank, do you really want to be first to the guillotine?

i'll get out within a few years and go into teaching, hopefully before the guillotines fall. besides, investment trading is like the lest unethical type of banking there is, as the people that you're taking money from are all entering the stock market trying to make a fast buck by taking money from other suckers on it (or so I tell myself :smith:)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
i've got a phone interview with a major investment trader today, the other company i've been talking to this week runs a gambling/poker/betting website. i know which i'd rather work for.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

gonadic io posted:

i'll get out within a few years and go into teaching, hopefully before the guillotines fall. besides, investment trading is like the lest unethical type of banking there is, as the people that you're taking money from are all entering the stock market trying to make a fast buck by taking money from other suckers on it (or so I tell myself :smith:)

won't hft algorithms eventually be responsible for wiping out millions of people's retirement savings?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

gonadic io posted:

i'll get out within a few years and go into teaching, hopefully before the guillotines fall.

funnily enough that's his plan too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

eschaton posted:

not even a deece five and a half figgies, eh?

As far as I can tell junior positions in London pay roughly the same as ones out of London (with soen exceptions), but more senior positions have a bit of a differential. I definitely belong in this thread though so ymmv

also I can't help interpreting six and a half figgies or w/e as 6.5=log_10(pay)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pointsofdata posted:

also I can't help interpreting six and a half figgies or w/e as 6.5=log_10(pay)

that's because that's what it means

the reason it's a ~~yospos meme~~ is because it's making fun of that one guy who thought otherwise and was talking up his 150k salary

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Valeyard posted:

i will be kinda, most of my work is outside close to London but occasionally ill travel in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

that's because that's what it means

the reason it's a ~~yospos meme~~ is because it's making fun of that one guy who thought otherwise and was talking up his 150k salary

I remember that post it was a good one

• Locked thread