Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Can't connect to the server right now. Looks like it went poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Halfway through Furutaka. Holy poo poo is it ever painful, especially right now since I'm ahead of the curve and it's usually matchmakered into the high end of the team. I'm not used to being both high tier for a match and in a crippled ship when I usually can positively influence the round outcome.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Velius posted:

Halfway through Furutaka. Holy poo poo is it ever painful, especially right now since I'm ahead of the curve and it's usually matchmakered into the high end of the team. I'm not used to being both high tier for a match and in a crippled ship when I usually can positively influence the round outcome.

I feel your pain, just finished grinding this piece of crap.

The only thing it's good at is shooting other cruisers with AP rounds. You will citadel other Tier 4 and 5 cruisers to death.
DDs are hard to hit with your slow reload but the good accuracy help, use HE and hope for the best.
Other ships will often underestimate your torpedoes, keep them untill the last moment.

My best move, in one of my last game with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK0Pm8U8MpU

Krogort fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 1, 2015

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

New premiums, apparently.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mikasa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Marblehead_(CL-12)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_destroyer_Tachibana_(1912)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Diana_(1899)

So, how many Omaha-class premiums are they going to make?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Is that up on youtube yet or just a still they're sharing?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Why is the Chikuma such a cursed piece of poo poo? I've not won a single game where I've been driving that thing.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
probably because it's a pretty big target for what it is

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

yaay posted:

probably because it's a pretty big target for what it is

And by that we mean something with destroyer grade firepower, no torps, and a citadel larger than most destroyers' hull and no weird destroyer magic.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

xthetenth posted:

And by that we mean something with destroyer grade firepower, no torps, and a citadel larger than most destroyers' hull and no weird destroyer magic.

joy of discovery. i didn't think i'd be able to tell boat silhouettes apart after a single day but nope here's this xbox sized xp pinata that also has 2/3 of it is sticking out of the water

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

I've just got my hands on the Furutaka and am positively whelmed. I think I'm going to need a few more matches before I can really state anything definitely, but that 45 bloody second turret traverse is murder. Kuma was one thing think I was a bit harsh on in CBT, and Tenryu's really quite good. Hopefully the later actual cruisers are good too.

My current and permanent love is Warspite though... It's got so many flaws but none of them matter. I had a truly wonderful match earlier with a friend in which we raised the ghosts of the Grand Fleet and drove a pair of them into the enemy, flying both 'I have not received any damage' and 'It is dangerous to approach close to this vessel' flags. By the time we arrived at point C, there were numerous bits of chaff fighting. When I left we were down a Warspite but had pretty much stopped the enemy there. Our secondaries accounted for two Clevelands, and Atlanta and a couple of destroyers with minor backup from the main battery when it deigned to be pointing the right way.

With victory nigh-assured as the three remaining enemy ships were all BBs and out of position, I asked our destroyer to head over and cap the enemy's only point while I went to distract Fuso, Myogi and Something American. The moment I was detected, my division mate posted up the first line to Heart of Oak in chat. So I decided to make it a duet. By the first 'We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again!'. Myogi was gone, while by the second Fuso was firing uselessly at me as the cap points ticked over. Utterly glorious.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aesis posted:

Afaik there is a file or registry somewhere you have to modify. Check with WoT and see how it works, it should be the same with WoWS.

Cheers Dawg, that got it. :smugdog:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

At least the Marblehead is a different nation than the old Omaha premium. They're adding a ship identical to the Aurora, which is already a premium.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Hey if anyone else is playing on the euro server you should come chill in the Goons channel ingame and also 2pac TS with us, just sayin

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

James Garfield posted:

They're adding a ship identical to the Aurora, which is already a premium.

I'm totally expecting the third ship of the class to come out as a Japanese premium (was sunk by the Japanese in the Russo-Japanese war, then raised and put into service).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
That helpless feeling when a Sims just stays at 11 km and shoot me for 1.1k dmg per hit while my Cleveland hits (if it hits, which is near impossible) Sims for 350 damage.

e: He hit me once every 10~15 shells but I just had no DD chasing it or no friendlies pushing so he had free reign on me for a while.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 1, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Aesis posted:

That helpless feeling when a Sims just stays at 11 km and shoot me for 1.1k dmg per hit while my Cleveland hits (if it hits, which is near impossible) Sims for 350 damage.

Battleships vs. Cruisers .txt

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Were you firing AP at the Sims ?
At least with the cleveland you have 12 barrels and a fast rate of fire.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Aesis posted:

e: He hit me once every 10~15 shells but I just had no DD chasing it or no friendlies pushing so he had free reign on me for a while.

...what? You can oneshot a Sims if you land a good hit. Practice shooting destroyers more, perhaps play some yourself and try to understand why destroyers do the things they do. Use HE on destroyers too, AP will overpen and HE has a good chance of knocking out a lot of things at once on a DD (especially the engine, an engine disable will spell the doom of a DD).

The Sims should fear you as a Cleveland, not the other way around. Just be aware that American DDs need to play as opportunists, picking off lone players, overextended enemy DDs, and torping boats coming around blind corners. The best defense against an American DD is to not travel alone, though honestly you should still have the upper hand in a Cleveland.

xthetenth posted:

Battleships vs. Cruisers .txt

The Sims is a DD.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Krogort posted:

Were you firing AP at the Sims ?
At least with the cleveland you have 12 barrels and a fast rate of fire.
HE. It takes about 10.5 8 seconds to fly 11 km, by the time Sims will have easily avoided incoming fire. It's not so easy with Cleveland because of maneuverability difference.

I also play Sims from time to time but it's just laughable how easy it is to avoid shells past 10 km while making GBS threads yours against bigger target.

e: Also for some weird reason I was hitting that same Sims at 5 km with 8 shells for only 3,000 damage. Did damage his steer but I just couldn't do enough damage. All HE. Guess it wasn't my game.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 1, 2015

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Aesis posted:

HE. It takes about 10.5 seconds to fly 11 km, by the time Sims will have easily avoided incoming fire. It's not so easy with Cleveland because of maneuverability difference.

I also play Sims from time to time but it's just laughable how easy it is to avoid shells past 10 km while making GBS threads yours against bigger target.

Try firing a battery at a time instead of full broad sides. With all four turrets banging, it is fairly simple to box a DD into taking at least one turret full of HE to the face per cycle. Which is not a trade off they can win most of the time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

The Sims is a DD.

And the Cleveland isn't a battleship.

It's still the same mismatch where the bigger ship has guns that can't reliably hit and do less damage if not less damage per salvo. Honestly it's worse for battleships, because their guns are so much less accurate and there's a much larger disparity in reload rate.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Cleveland HE definitely does reduced damage compared to CBT now. Just can't get past around 350 damage per shell on any target at the moment it's just infuriating.

xthetenth posted:

It's still the same mismatch where the bigger ship has guns that can't reliably hit and do less damage if not less damage per salvo. Honestly it's worse for battleships, because their guns are so much less accurate and there's a much larger disparity in reload rate.
And maneuverability. Bigger size ships are likely to have to take some hits and just hope none of those cause fire.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 1, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

xthetenth posted:

I had a crazy-rear end duel in a Kuma vs a Myogi as I closed on him through several volleys of his guns (I'm not sure how small the speed difference is) until I made it to torpedo range. Even then the guns and fire did most of the damage.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Holy poo poo Iowa in my game :stare: Just how much free time/gold do people have?!

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Aesis posted:

Holy poo poo Iowa in my game :stare: Just how much free time/gold do people have?!

What do you mean by gold? I know you can transfer free XP from other boats with gold, but that isn't very much normally. How else can I advance using my gold?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

texasmed posted:

What do you mean by gold? I know you can transfer free XP from other boats with gold, but that isn't very much normally. How else can I advance using my gold?
Skip lower tier by grinding with premium and converting xp.

e: My team got murdered because they were all clustered around Iowa and nobody could get close :(

Aesis fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jul 1, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
What they probably did was buy the atago and dunk on everyone's low level ships and then convert all the xp up until at least like tier 7 or 8. There's some guys who average 3000+xp per battle (before any bonuses).

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

ok so I read the OP regarding using AP vs HE but the pinned guide on the boats forums has a guy saying almost always fire AP provided you aim and hit the citadel or magazines, so the question is, how good do you have to be to make it worth it? It looks like you can drop people really really quickly with some good ap shots but HE offers constant output and module damage + fires. Not knowing penetration values or how/where the armour layouts of the ships doesn't make it easy either.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

I wonder how they're going to work the Mikasa with its mix of 12 inch guns and 6 inch casement guns. It might be a secondary murder machine the way Nagato was in CBT.

Also, yeah, seriously, the Omaha wasn't that fun of a bote. Why another one?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

hopterque posted:

What they probably did was buy the atago and dunk on everyone's low level ships and then convert all the xp up until at least like tier 7 or 8. There's some guys who average 3000+xp per battle (before any bonuses).

Most/all people with 3000 average XP are dunking pubbies with japanese carriers.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

yaay posted:

ok so I read the OP regarding using AP vs HE but the pinned guide on the boats forums has a guy saying almost always fire AP provided you aim and hit the citadel or magazines, so the question is, how good do you have to be to make it worth it? It looks like you can drop people really really quickly with some good ap shots but HE offers constant output and module damage + fires. Not knowing penetration values or how/where the armour layouts of the ships doesn't make it easy either.
Link which guide you are talking about please. Depending on when it was written/updated, it may be outdated. The value of AP vs HE has changed a few times over the course of beta. AP was godly and HE barely did damage in March-April, then HE and fires were godly while AP bounced all the time in 0.3.1. Now I think Wargaming has struck a pretty good balance between the two so that deciding which to use depends on the situation. I'm not sure which guide you were talking about so cannot say whether it is accurate or not.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

grrarg posted:

Link which guide you are talking about please. Depending on when it was written/updated, it may be outdated. The value of AP vs HE has changed a few times over the course of beta. AP was godly and HE barely did damage in March-April, then HE and fires were godly while AP bounced all the time in 0.3.1. Now I think Wargaming has struck a pretty good balance between the two so that deciding which to use depends on the situation. I'm not sure which guide you were talking about so cannot say whether it is accurate or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBWlimlFPiQ

the video coincidentally dates back to march.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Yeah that is way out of date. This guide is good for battleships and shows the citadels and magazines on various ships.

Playing a cruiser, you should generally stick to HE unless an enemy cruiser exposes their broadside then hit their citadel amidships with AP, like the Omaha in the video you linked. IJN cruiser citadels are easier to hit because they tend to be bigger with thinner armor.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
43.4k dmg (120 shots) and 28k fire with Cleveland and only 1k base xp on win, 61.4k dmg and 23.67k fire and only 1.2k xp on loss :argh:

Also I just realized that Wargaming might have given out Humble Bundle stuff. Suddenly got 4 more slots + 1,000 doubloons :stare:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
I think I just caused a TORPS OP! thread in the official forums. :mmmsmug:

Best part was the two pubbie Chikumas driving right next to each other so they both ran into a 4-torp salvo intended for one of them to give me the double strike.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Chaotic Meh posted:

With victory nigh-assured as the three remaining enemy ships were all BBs and out of position, I asked our destroyer to head over and cap the enemy's only point while I went to distract Fuso, Myogi and Something American. The moment I was detected, my division mate posted up the first line to Heart of Oak in chat. So I decided to make it a duet. By the first 'We'll fight and we'll conquer again and again!'. Myogi was gone, while by the second Fuso was firing uselessly at me as the cap points ticked over. Utterly glorious.

Ahh. And now I know who you are. Grats on the lighter wallet.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
So i just started playing in the open beta.

Christ it feels like i am cheating by doing things like paying attention to the mini map and using terrain. How can A tier 1 cruiser do three times the xp as the tier three cruiser or battleship?

Oh right the swarm of pubbies.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The reason we're getting another Omaha-based premium is that the US lacks a mid-grade premium, and the Omaha is a decent jack-of-all-trades, pretty mediocre in all of them platform. Without the 8km torps it's worse than the Murmansk, but it's a cheaper option than the Atlanta for premium training. They'll give it some hook to make it worthwhile, like an extra round per minute, or higher speed, etc.

That being said, I'd have liked to have been in the meeting where they were pitching premium ship ideas to see SerB's face when someone said "you know, we can do the T-54 thing *even more* in this game, and just sell premium versions of existing ships, but with different names within the ship's class."

My guess on how it went over:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 1, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

xthetenth posted:

Honestly, BB's just arnt in a good place right now. You can only REALLY influence the game by closing to the 10-15km range where you can actually reliably land broadsides and get citadels, which puts you into cruiser HE fire hell range. I enjoy the idea of sitting at 20km and exchanging volleys with other BB's, but even playing decently like that, you often don't really influence the game much. I find myself saying "gently caress it" and charging in with my Kongo/Fuso anytime our team has an edge in the zone of the map I'm in. My Kongo, a New York and a Kumo vs a New York and an Arkansas? I'm angling my hull and going at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cheese posted:

Honestly, BB's just arnt in a good place right now. You can only REALLY influence the game by closing to the 10-15km range where you can actually reliably land broadsides and get citadels, which puts you into cruiser HE fire hell range. I enjoy the idea of sitting at 20km and exchanging volleys with other BB's, but even playing decently like that, you often don't really influence the game much. I find myself saying "gently caress it" and charging in with my Kongo/Fuso anytime our team has an edge in the zone of the map I'm in. My Kongo, a New York and a Kumo vs a New York and an Arkansas? I'm angling my hull and going at them.

I agree with this. I casually solo-pubbed my way to the North Carolina in the last bit of closed beta and while I was just starting to get decent at hitting targets right *at* the 20km range, 24km+ always felt like a hail mary, and most of the time the people who play BBs play them like the worst tanks players - expecting the rest of the team to win *for* them, and if they get one good hit in the entire match, then they've "done their job, it must be the rest of you that lost."