Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dislike button posted:

I got a pair of Energy 3.1e speakers for cheap. What do I need to do to hook them up to my PC? Currently just have onboard sound and I don't even have speaker cable so guidance on whatever is needed would be much appreciated.

Specs here http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649109076-energy_speakers_31e_excellent_2_way_monitor_139/

You need an amp. How loud do you want to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

You need an amp. How loud do you want to go?

I mean I don't need to shake the house off the foundation or anything but no wimpy poo poo either.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dislike button posted:

I mean I don't need to shake the house off the foundation or anything but no wimpy poo poo either.

I use one of these for my PC setup.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX8020-TX-8020-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B00EE18O7W

It gets loud.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Alright assuming I purchase that what else would be needed?

Best I can figure out:

3.5mm to RCA to go from the motherboard to the receiver http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815
16 gauge speaker wire http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-Feet/dp/B006LW0WDQ/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_y
and banana plugs to go from the receiver to the speakers http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2943&seq=1&format=2

Am I forgetting anything obvious? Also that receiver is well over 3 times what the speakers cost me, although there are some open box ones for about $140 shipped. It's not a dealbreaker but is there anything comparable for less $$?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dislike button posted:

Alright assuming I purchase that what else would be needed?

Best I can figure out:

3.5mm to RCA to go from the motherboard to the receiver http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815
16 gauge speaker wire http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-16-Gauge-Speaker-Wire-Feet/dp/B006LW0WDQ/ref=pd_bxgy_23_img_y
and banana plugs to go from the receiver to the speakers http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2943&seq=1&format=2

Am I forgetting anything obvious? Also that receiver is well over 3 times what the speakers cost me, although there are some open box ones for about $140 shipped. It's not a dealbreaker but is there anything comparable for less $$?

Get on craigslist and find a stereo (not 5.1 or surround or anything like that) receiver from basically any era. You can use that same cable you described to run your computer through the Aux in or really any line-level input like CD/Video/etc (so not the phono one).

Bonus points if it's a silver-faced one from the '70s (ask in the vintage/2-channel thread if you see anything that you're unsure about. There are a lot of gems out there for very little cash but people are unloading lots of crap now that there's a strong demand for vintage stuff). Those sound killer and are overbuilt to all heck aside from looking dope.

You don't need very much power for an office setup so it's quite reasonable to expect that you'd have a really easy time finding the perfect receiver for less than $100.

You can (should) also add a turntable to one of those in the future and make yourself a cherry little office hi-fi setup.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 1, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Get on craigslist and find a stereo (not 5.1 or surround or anything like that) receiver from basically any era. You can use that same cable you described to run your computer through the Aux in or really any line-level input like CD/Video/etc (so not the phono one).

Bonus points if it's a silver-faced one from the '70s (ask in the vintage/2-channel thread if you see anything that you're unsure about. There are a lot of gems out there for very little cash but people are unloading lots of crap now that there's a strong demand for vintage stuff). Those sound killer and are overbuilt to all heck aside from looking dope.

You don't need very much power for an office setup so it's quite reasonable to expect that you'd have a really easy time finding the perfect receiver for less than $100.

You can (should) also add a turntable to one of those in the future and make yourself a cherry little office hi-fi setup.

This is true. Never be afraid of Craigslist finds - audio equipment is good for a LONG time.

I just recommended that receiver because I happen to have it and I know it cranks loud on my similarly-rated speakers (6 ohm, 86dB sensitivity). Then again, I got it on Black Friday for ~$150.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 1, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

This is true. Never be afraid of Craigslist finds - audio equipment is good for a LONG time.

For instance, I have a late-80s/early-90s 70WPC Denon PMA-520 stereo amp for sale at the moment, it's in Denmark though.

I paid ~$12 for it in absolutely mint condition appearance-wise, because it supposedly had some noise on one of the inputs. All it really needed was a spritz of contact cleaner and it's working beautifully now. I'm hoping to get ~$50-75 for it.

Sub-$100 amplifiers/receivers in perfect working condition can be had all day long, if you're not hung up on a specific brand or vintage.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
How's something like this for going the used/retro route?

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/sop/5057049942.html

Most of the stuff on Craigslist seems to be 5.1 A/V receivers. Also thanks for all the help, I know almost nothing about stereo equipment.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It would be a good choice, as long as it works.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It would be a good choice, as long as it works.
Is there any reason to not go with a 5.1 receiver if it's cheap?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Also wondering this as things like this https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/5058510008.html seem to be more available

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Josh Lyman posted:

Not at all, as long as you're not bothered by the fact that you won't use most of its features. Just switch off all effects and fake surround DSP processing and that sort of thing, and it'll work fine as a stereo amp.

Audiophiles like to claim that 2-channel sound quality is compromised by the additional circuitry, but no one has been able to show any detrimental effects.

Some surround receivers are designed to be configured through a GUI on a connected TV, if that's the case it'll be a little annoying for the initial setup. Most receivers can be configured directly on the unit itself, but it may be a little fiddly.

$160 is a little expensive though. You can definitely find something decent below $100.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dislike button posted:

Also wondering this as things like this https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/5058510008.html seem to be more available

The specs I'm seeing for that receiver say 12 watts per channel. It's not going to be very loud.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

The specs I'm seeing for that receiver say 12 watts per channel. It's not going to be very loud.

Yeah I wondered about that. Any issues with this https://charlotte.craigslist.org/ele/5096465830.html it seems to be the best combination of cheap plus relatively close by and modern (at least modern enough to have a review on C-net).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KillHour posted:

That's definitely not true. It was a $1100 receiver when it was new, and Pioneer says it's 100WPC in stereo or 90WPC in surround mode.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

That's definitely not true. It was a $1100 receiver when it was new, and Pioneer says it's 100WPC in stereo or 90WPC in surround mode.

I quoted the wrong link. :downs:

I meant the JVC. The Pioneer is fine, but a little overkill.

Still overkill, but the price is right.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 1, 2015

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

KillHour posted:

I quoted the wrong link. :downs:

I meant the JVC. The Pioneer is fine, but a little overkill.

Still overkill, but the price is right.

I pulled the trigger on that Onkyo for $80. Just set everything up and it seems to work great.

For my impatience I spent $44 at Best Buy for 30 ft of 16 gauge speaker cable, 4 banana plugs (when i need 8 of course) and a 3.5mm to RCA cable. At least the cheapers + receiver were only $130 total and sound great.

Thanks again for all the help.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I don't know if this exists, but are there any PC speakers that support AirPlay?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't know if this exists, but are there any PC speakers that support AirPlay?

Plug an Airport Express into any powered speakers or receiver or sound system you want. They're like $60 refurbished on Amazon.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I feel like I'm listening to music for the first time. Had to stick that giant rear end receiver under the desk

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Plug an Airport Express into any powered speakers or receiver or sound system you want. They're like $60 refurbished on Amazon.

Oh..... neat.

Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Oh..... neat.

Thanks!
You can get refurb ones w/1 year warranty straight from Apple for $65:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC414LL/A/airport-express-base-station

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

japtor posted:

Oh hell yeah. I was on their site looking earlier but couldn't find them. Thanks!

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dislike button posted:

I feel like I'm listening to music for the first time. Had to stick that giant rear end receiver under the desk

Those amps get hot, make sure there's some space above it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

japtor posted:

Even better.

Last I had checked (some months ago), Apple had them for $75 and Amazon was a good $15 cheaper. Adding the warranty and having it come straight from Apple is worth whatever the difference is now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I have a set of Logitech Z-2300s that just had a satellite speaker die. It's the actual speaker too, not the control or sub. Busted out the multimeter and checked 'em.

I looked up, and found some decent looking replacement speakers for the satellites.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-nd65-8-2-1-2-aluminum-cone-full-range-driver-8-ohm--290-206

So for about $50 I should be able to get them both working again, but it's kind of a gamble since the control pod could famously die or the sub could poo poo next. So my question is what are some comparable speakers that don't take up the whole desk? (Like studio monitors.) Depending on the price it might be worth just upgrading/replacing. If it's a lot more it might be worth attempting the repair and get a few more years out of these.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Audioengine A2's have a pretty small footprint.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not a lot of bass if you're used to a sub, though.

Other than that (and you can as a sub later), they're really great.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
A friend of mine picked up some mid-price Bluetooth speakers (I think this InaRock one) and I was thoroughly impressed with how it sounded for the price – full and relatively bassy while we were outside playing frisbee – and was wondering if the thread has any suggestions for similar Bluetooth speakers that'd be better for around that price or above. I think the absolute max I'd want to spend is 200 dollars, and optimally would be looking at something around 120, but really I'd love to get some recommendations for portable Bluetooth speakers if anyone's got some!

e: Was recommended here from the small/stupid questions thread in PYF and realized only after posting that it's for PC speakers rather than just casual bassy music + podcast listening, so maybe this isn't the best place to ask. :v: Still very interested in all advice, though!

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 15, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's only $60 and you've already heard it and like it, why not get that? For other options, I really like my sound link color, but it's not a bass monster.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

A friend of mine picked up some mid-price Bluetooth speakers (I think this InaRock one) and I was thoroughly impressed with how it sounded for the price – full and relatively bassy while we were outside playing frisbee – and was wondering if the thread has any suggestions for similar Bluetooth speakers that'd be better for around that price or above. I think the absolute max I'd want to spend is 200 dollars, and optimally would be looking at something around 120, but really I'd love to get some recommendations for portable Bluetooth speakers if anyone's got some!

e: Was recommended here from the small/stupid questions thread in PYF and realized only after posting that it's for PC speakers rather than just casual bassy music + podcast listening, so maybe this isn't the best place to ask. :v: Still very interested in all advice, though!

The UE Boom line is basically the gold standard right now. All three of them (MiniBoom(discontinued/replaced by the Roll), Boom, and MegaBoom) have gotten rave reviews from basically everyone and, IIRC, The Wirecutter put each at the top of its respective category. The current-gen Boom is $199 new (maybe cheaper on Amazon) and $150 through their refurb store, with the Mega being $100 more expensive.

Also, you can pair two of them together to turn them into independent stereo speakers, which I think is pretty dope.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

powderific posted:

If it's only $60 and you've already heard it and like it, why not get that? For other options, I really like my sound link color, but it's not a bass monster.

Because if there were better options for the same price, I could just do that instead. Thanks for the tip on the Soundlink though, it was one of the ones I've been looking at and it looks pretty appealing! I feel like I probably shouldn't really chase after bass in these kinds of speakers anyway, it's not like it's ever going to be truly Great as well as portable, at least at this point in speaker tech.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The UE Boom line is basically the gold standard right now. All three of them (MiniBoom(discontinued/replaced by the Roll), Boom, and MegaBoom) have gotten rave reviews from basically everyone and, IIRC, The Wirecutter put each at the top of its respective category. The current-gen Boom is $199 new (maybe cheaper on Amazon) and $150 through their refurb store, with the Mega being $100 more expensive.

Also, you can pair two of them together to turn them into independent stereo speakers, which I think is pretty dope.

Thanks for the tip on this, too! I'm definitely leaning toward splurging and getting this (partially because my partner and I are probably going to split the price anyway, partially because some of those colors are fantastic), although the Cnet review leading with the indoor sound on the Boom being "a little underwhelming" isn't exactly the best sales pitch when I'll probably be primarily using these speakers indoors with outdoors as more of a bonus. :v: The battery life is great though, and being semi-waterproof is also fantastic.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I don't like the UE Boom line much and I really don't get why it is put so much on a pedestal, especially by Wirecutter. Sound isn't really good in my opinion, especially for the price. The Megaboom even sounds worse than the Boom. What they do have though is a ton of features.
The Denon Envaya Mini sounds better and is more compact (runtime is pretty limited though). Even the Bose Soundlink Mini 2 sounds better, same with the JBL Charge 2. And the new JBL Xtreme is amazing if size and price isn't much of a consideration.

Decius fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 15, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I have a Sol Republic Deck that I am quite happy with. It is a perfect travel speaker, the flat design makes it perfect for my laptop bag. The sound is pretty nice, the range is by far the best I have seen from bluetooth and I can hook it up to a proper stereo system when I am home and use it as a bluetooth receiver. The heist mode is pretty nice when you are at a party or gathering. You can get them now for around 50 bucks so you can't do any better in the price range.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm with Decius on the Boom. I listened to a huge swath of bluetooth speakers since NFM has an aisle full of them and the Boom, while it had decent 360 sound, was noticeably less full-sounding that most other speakers on the shelf. It hardly seems worthy of being considered a gold standard. The Soundlink Color was way better to my ears.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
A couple years ago I spent way too much time googling for a bluetooth speaker to use when (pedal) biking and settled on the TDK Life on Record. I've been very happy with the sound quality/balance, gets just loud enough at max to hear it OK when biking in a small group at decent speed, I only set it to maybe around 25% volume indoors playing board games and stuff, and around 50% outside at a garage sale recently. The only problem I've had with it is every few hours it might cut out (BT connection drops?) and I have to flip the power off and on. Other than that, very happy. Looks like there's a newer A34 version for $120, and the old one is at $100. I think I paid $150-170 last time and I'm half tempted to grab a backup at that hundo price.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the recommendations, all! Still mulling over which one to get but I might eat the cost of a UE Boom because the battery life is appealing and seems like it's higher than any of the other speakers. Still, lots of good leads, which is exactly what I needed.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why is receiver + bookshelf speakers generally recommended over a 2.1 system in the $100-150 range?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Why is receiver + bookshelf speakers generally recommended over a 2.1 system in the $100-150 range?

Because most computer speakers are cheap poo poo. There are exceptions (which cost >$150), but it's generally the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Josh Lyman posted:

If you like overwhelming amounts of lovely bass for your AWP to rumble the floor when it shouldn't, "subwoofers" that are crossed too high and a near complete death of midrange then yeah those are good.

Otherwise a $260 pair of LSR305s is going to slaughter anything cheaper, including bass performance even without a sub.