Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
The 20 series sounds like a good shout, I'll look them up and find the period that appeals the most.

A Victory Denied might be the next step, we only get an afternoon to play every couple of months so need something we can definitely finish but also play other games that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Speaking of short games, anybody had a chance to play W1815? It looks and sounds quite clever and fun, but I can't help but wonder just how much replayability is there in a 15 minute-long wargame.

Tekopo posted:

Do you have this, we could play it on Friday?

Do not follow this path, this "modern classic" aged extremely fast.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Speaking of short games, anybody had a chance to play W1815? It looks and sounds quite clever and fun, but I can't help but wonder just how much replayability is there in a 15 minute-long wargame.

Marco seemed to really like it in his review. So, you can take from that that it either is or isn't a wargame and exists today.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lichtenstein posted:

Do not follow this path, this "modern classic" aged extremely fast.
Go on...

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

unicr0n posted:

Thank you! The two player aids I was following were contradictory but I then found the specific rule. I'm really enjoying this one, was hoping to pickup a physical copy but it seems to be sold out. I'm only just now getting into wargaming and I seem to be stumbling on games a few months too late.

If you're based in the UK, I might be thinking of selling my copy of The Hunters in a few months if you're interested.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Tekopo posted:

Go on...

He means that much like fine wine, it gets better with age. This one just gets better, faster!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I've only played A Victory Denied, but I thought it was pretty great!

Actually, what other games use a chit-pull system? Those are great to play solitaire. I know about the Grand Tactical Series (Where Eagles Dare / Devil's Cauldron / No Question of Surrender / The Greatest Day), but I don't have a 12' by 6' playing space currently, nor do I have $200+...

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

I've only played A Victory Denied, but I thought it was pretty great!

Actually, what other games use a chit-pull system? Those are great to play solitaire. I know about the Grand Tactical Series (Where Eagles Dare / Devil's Cauldron / No Question of Surrender / The Greatest Day), but I don't have a 12' by 6' playing space currently, nor do I have $200+...

I have WED. Would love to try it at some point, but it feels like it was deisnged for someone living in a massive house in the middle of nowhere who can fit a 15mx2m long board in their house......

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Do you have this, we could play it on Friday?

And, no, I don't have it. I pissed my money up the wall on Burning Blue and CC Napoleonics expansions. + My remainign wargaming budget for this year is going on Beyond the Rhine and EOTS 2nd Ed.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Go on...

Basically it made a big splash for being a very streamlined, down to basics, hex'n'counter game that can be played in few hours and can work as a great intro. Like, if I say "It's a chit pull operational game with an odds-based CRT" you already know 80% of the rules.

The thing is, that is not enough to constitute wow factor nowadays and the game itself just isn't that amazing. If you've played chit pull games before and therefore ain't knocked out by the mechanic itself, it's really kind of an old school pushing of generic counters over a fairly generic terrain on a bland, ugly map. Game's resemblance to history lies mostly in the opening set-up, as it is gamey as gently caress. For example, HQs activate units around them, which might result in a particular unit being activated several times, given proper order of activations. Now, this is not an oversight, but the supposed core loving strategy of the Germans, who are meant to try set up activation chains for their panzers turn after turn.

It also kind of drags. We live in a world where, if one needs a quick and simple operational game, he can whip out Battle for Moscow and be done in an hour. In the AVL timeframe you could play a few years of No Retreat, a game of Napoleon's Triumph, blaze through entire Fading Glory box, or play a number of other interesting games that have more to them than just mathing out attack odds. A particular culprit here is the STAVKA chit, which allows the Soviet player to activate his entire force at once - meaning pretty much having to wait out a countersheet's worth of math exercise each turn. This doesn't sound too bad in wargame context, but effectively means big game downtimes in a supposed breezy, light package. And this is really the key: it is just too light and bland to sustain its overall length and hefty downtimes.

I haven't played the sequel, but from quick skimming of the rulebook it seemed like the same thing, but with more randomness bolted on.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

COOL CORN posted:

The World at War series by Lock N Load uses chit pulls for activations. Most of the games are WWIII in Europe but there is at least one in WW2. The chit pulls are used to show better command & control and training on the part of the NATO forces, so they get more chits in the pool than the Soviets and so can activate multiple times compared to the ruskies. They are good games if you like seeing scores of tanks getting blown the gently caress up anytime they pop their heads out of cover.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Fat Turkey posted:

Is there a Hex and Counter game that takes 30-60 minutes, doesn't cost the earth and is suitable for beginners to the genre.

Got a friend interested in trying some out but we want something we can fit alongside our other games.

If you like goofy science fiction poo poo, there's always OGRE, which is a pretty awesome value at 3 dollars. http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-pocket-edition

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I have some disposable income coming and have an itch for a solitaire wargame. I'm looking at the Field Commander series (Rommel, Napoleon and Alexander). Any differences between the three besides the obvious phalanxes/cannons/tanks?

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

If you like goofy science fiction poo poo, there's always OGRE, which is a pretty awesome value at 3 dollars. http://www.warehouse23.com/products/ogre-pocket-edition

I'm not sure if its the heat or the name Steve Jackson but I've broken out in a sweat...

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

I have some disposable income coming and have an itch for a solitaire wargame. I'm looking at the Field Commander series (Rommel, Napoleon and Alexander). Any differences between the three besides the obvious phalanxes/cannons/tanks?

Get Napoleon or none. It has a fun battle minigame for what otherwise is a :geno: dieroll and lots of scenarios.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

Get Napoleon or none. It has a fun battle minigame for what otherwise is a :geno: dieroll and lots of scenarios.

From what I've heard, Fleet Commander Nimitz is the same way for boats. I've heard very lackluster things about Rommel and Alexander.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

a cuba libre expansion has been announced

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Fat Turkey posted:

I'm not sure if its the heat or the name Steve Jackson but I've broken out in a sweat...

It's actually pretty fun. Basically the wargames equivalent of filler.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm playtesting the 25th anniversary version of Silver Bayonet for GMT, and so far I'm really enjoying it. Combat can either be a coordinated assault, or an abstracted form of maneuvered/guerrilla combat - depending on the type of combat and the availability of HQ in the area, the defender can bring in adjacent units or even retreat and refuse to fight. Leads to some really interesting strategic choices.

I'm really pleased to see how the classic "bump counters into each other" combat system can be updated to feel modern and guerrilla-y, and I'm excited to see how the final version looks! (I think my version is a near-finished map, which is beautiful, similar style to The Dark Valley, but the counters are hopefully just placeholders.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sounds neat, I wonder what the factions will end up being.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Lichtenstein posted:

The OP has led me astray. Tekopo!! :argh:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

The OP has led me astray. Tekopo!! :argh:

Speaking of OP, it could use some cleaning up*. Field Commander filed above Steel Wolves in complexity in the Fields of Fire tier, no separate caregory for superstar COIN, etc.

* If anyone cared, that is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I could clean it up somewhat, yeah. COINs are multiplayer wargames, that's a category all of its own.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

They're also card driven, in a way. :v:

Seriously though, I do believe the series deserves its own entry, because it's fairly distinct, people keep mentioning it in the other threads, luring in newbies, and it sort of blows up right now like CDGs a decade ago. We're still in a somewhat early stage, releases-wise, but with all the funky experimental stuff around the corner (Falling Sky, that 2P Algeria COIN Brian Train is supposedly working on, etc.) I am confident that in time, just like CDGs, it will be considered a subgenre, rather than series.

But yeah, mostly the newbie factor.

[edit] Though one could probably keep bringing up the Colonial Twilight for its non-multiplayerness.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 1, 2015

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

I want Castro ending up being the government faction, that hopefully leads to some "be careful what you wish for" comeuppance for the player's of the revolution in the base game :v:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 1, 2015

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
He is the government now. #REMOVECIGARFROMPREMISES!

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I want Castro ending up being the government faction, that hopefully leads to some "be careful what you wish for" comeuppance for the player's of the revolution in the base game :v:

From that link posted:

Castro’s fledgling government now aims to consolidate power and reform the country.

Sound like you're in luck.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I kinda want a Cambodia COIN just to give the North Vietnamese a taste of their own medicine as well.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Fat Turkey posted:

If you're based in the UK, I might be thinking of selling my copy of The Hunters in a few months if you're interested.

I'm in Australia, thanks for the offer though. I ended up ordering a copy from CoolStuffInc despite the shipping costing more than the game itself.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I played a game of 1989 Dawn of Freedom with a friends of mine and while it's play style is pretty much the exact same as Twilight Struggle I can't help but feel that it is a game heavily biased against the Communist player since of the 4 times I've played this game so far the person playing the Communists always gets creamed. Which yes while true to life doesn't fill me with enthusiasm to play like Twilight Struggle does

While speaking of GMT Games the Cuba Libre expansion looks cool as does the two player Algeria COIN game. Anyone know what the third p500 game they added today was?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

KomradeX posted:

While speaking of GMT Games the Cuba Libre expansion looks cool as does the two player Algeria COIN game. Anyone know what the third p500 game they added today was?

Invasion: Malta. About Malta. using system of Roads to Moscow/Leningrad.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I played a game of 1989 Dawn of Freedom with a friends of mine and while it's play style is pretty much the exact same as Twilight Struggle I can't help but feel that it is a game heavily biased against the Communist player since of the 4 times I've played this game so far the person playing the Communists always gets creamed. Which yes while true to life doesn't fill me with enthusiasm to play like Twilight Struggle does
I've found the opposite: the communist player tends to sweep the board as long as he's able to hold on. Basically you just have to make sure that you don't lose through a rally in the square.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
1989 is interesting, as you're both right. The game is fairly well balanced, in that either side has a good chance to win, but the scoring is not as tight as in Twilight Struggle, and whoever wins will tend to do so by six or more VPs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

It's also not as popular as TS so there's not as much study of the game or tournament-level play to judge balance.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

It's also not as popular as TS so there's not as much study of the game or tournament-level play to judge balance.
Let me know if you wanna take up our game of EotS again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Let me know if you wanna take up our game of EotS again.

Sure, probably be sometime next week tho

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Tekopo posted:

I've found the opposite: the communist player tends to sweep the board as long as he's able to hold on. Basically you just have to make sure that you don't lose through a rally in the square.

You could be right, I've played it maybe 4 times as the Communist Player and as the Democrat player and just every time the Democrat Player just runs wild with it. I play it mostly with a friend who likes it more than Twilight Struggle cause he was 9 years old in Ukraine when these events were happening which I'm grateful for sice I don't think I would be able to correctly pronounce half the spaces on the board correctly if it wasn't for him. But he's still very green behind the ears when it comes to games like Twilight Struggle but no matter what who ever plays the Democrat just wins by crushing landslides. I was able to score Hungary and have Communism fall on Turn One. I scored on Poland but didn't have Communism Fall and that one we were close on. When East Germany came into play it was another close scoring but I won the power struggle and Communism fell. I had him out numbered greatly in Czechoslovakia and we were about tied in Bulgaria. He had Romania on lockdown but it was only the mid-year. We're both still kind of learning the game so maybe that's it. We use to play our FLGS copy of the game about a year ago, but they closed and I only just got my own copy so maybe the more we play the more it'll click and seem less one sided.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

Going to play Sekigahara for the first time tonight. Still waiting for my EotS copy to arrive, though I live in Canada so I guess it might be a while?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/historical-accuracy

Three moves ahead has an interesting episode on historical accuracy in wargames, with Ananda Gupta on the panel. Lots of discussion of the COIN games halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

And, no, I don't have it. I pissed my money up the wall on Burning Blue and CC Napoleonics expansions. + My remainign wargaming budget for this year is going on Beyond the Rhine and EOTS 2nd Ed.
so we played Napoleon's Triumph, C&C Napoleonics (Waterloo Scenario), Borodino 20 (from Fading Glory) and Julius Cesar (the Columbia Block game). I kind of liked them all, but C&C annoys me due to the swinginess of the dice. It's still a nice beginner game though. I liked the contrast in gameplay between the different napoleonics games we played.