Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Sounds like she needs to :yotj:. Like seriously, she's getting paid $7.35 an hour and doing all that? Or am I misreading?

well, paid 7.35 an hour for 40 hours, but actually working 65 hours, it comes to around $4.52 an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are you sure there's not a better town you could be living in. I know it's not easy but please devote yourself to learning some highly marketable skills that will allow you to yotj the gently caress out.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

larchesdanrew posted:

I may have also sort of threatened to withhold grandchild visitations if he didn't do something about it.

ohhhhhhhhhhh that's dirty.

I like the way you think

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are you sure there's not a better town you could be living in. I know it's not easy but please devote yourself to learning some highly marketable skills that will allow you to yotj the gently caress out.

This is definitely something that's happening in the next 5-7 years if I can figure out something with this mortgage :smithicide:

I definitely don't want my kids doing anything past elementary school here. I've taught at the middle and high school. It's horrible.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

“Retailers will have two options if this rule is implemented: raise prices in order to absorb a dramatic increase in labor costs, or take away the benefits, such as flexibility and leadership opportunities, that come when an associate works their way into management,” Kelly Kolb, RILA vice present of government relations, said in a statement. “Neither of these are outcomes that will raise standards of living for our employees or our customers.”

Or just, you know, hire extra people so you don't need to force your employees to work overtime. Or just suck it up and pay people what they're worth. Either way, really. I'm reminded of a quote I heard a few years ago where someone did a cost analysis and discovered that if a big company like Walmart wanted to raise the wage of every hourly employee to $12/hour, they'd be able to cover the additional cost and then some by raising the price of every item they sold by one cent. I don't know how correct that statement is, but I seriously feel like most employers these days feel like their employees should be drat grateful just for the opportunity to work, let alone be able to be paid for it.

Then again, my wife is up for review at her grocery job, and her boss keeps loudly proclaiming that "no one should be surprised if they don't get a raise", and that "people only get raises if they improve since their last review". Her last review, they literally had nothing to give her for constructive feedback on how to improve, and when she asked for some a couple weeks ago, one of the assistant managers gave her the vaguest answer ever: "you're not very consistent. Work on that." and wouldn't elaborate. So, what I'm trying to say is that I may be a bit jaded.

I like the implication that there are a bunch of companies out there that know they could be bringing in more money at a higher price point and simply choose not to.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Oh god, I just got a fairly serious job offer. After being an unemployed student for two years, I can finally go back to full time wo---

A printer repair tech for a hospital? :negative:

Well. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. And that's to smile, take the job, and mentally scream "gently caress printers".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FireSight posted:

Oh god, I just got a fairly serious job offer. After being an unemployed student for two years, I can finally go back to full time wo---

Well. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. And that's to smile, take the job, and mentally scream "gently caress printers".

I can't really fathom how this could be a full time job for a single hospital.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

larchesdanrew posted:

This is definitely something that's happening in the next 5-7 years if I can figure out something with this mortgage :smithicide:

I definitely don't want my kids doing anything past elementary school here. I've taught at the middle and high school. It's horrible.

Dude just move, you and your wife have hellishly lovely jobs with no hope of improvement.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

Especially with the medical industry closing in on becoming Completely Paperless!!!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

FireSight posted:

I'm sure you'll be just fine.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

A ticket came in for a domain trust issue. Emailed the client back to test it now, and they won't be in the office for another 3 months.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

lampey posted:

A ticket came in for a domain trust issue. Emailed the client back to test it now, and they won't be in the office for another 3 months.

Those are my favorite type of calls; the ones that go to deskside for them to handle

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Sickening posted:

Could be for a regional hospital system, not just a single building. And that would be a pretty genius move on the part of that system's current staff, convincing management to create a job whose only role is driving around everywhere doing nothing but the worst part of IT so they don't have to.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sickening posted:

Really? My company has about 200 employees and ~60 printers among our 16 clinics. There have been times I've felt like a full time printer technician with just that many. With our new EHR system going live in two weeks each site is getting at least 3 more printers. (Please kill me.)

Now imagine the university hospital in town here. It's huge, probably employs 50,000 people. I can only assume they have a thousand or more printers to deal with just in the main hospital, so having one (or more) full time staff to deal with them seems completely reasonable.

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 1, 2015

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
so a phone call came in,

I get to go in for a second technical interview on Friday.

Can you :yotj: if you are an unemployed bum?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
:yotj: on you crazy diamond

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

FireSight posted:

This is exactly what I do.

Sirotan posted:

Really? My company has about 200 employees and ~60 printers among our 16 clinics. There have been times I've felt like a full time printer technician with just that many. With our new EHR system going live in two weeks each site is getting at least 3 more printers. (Please kill me.)

Now imagine the university hospital in town here. It's huge, probably employs 50,000 people. I can only assume they have a thousand or more printers to deal with just in the main hospital, so having one (or more) full time staff to deal with them seems completely reasonable.

Yep. I'm at that big medical campus across the state from you, and I'm responsible for 583 printers in the main campus. The corporate crap is honestly worse than the printers themselves.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oyster posted:

This is exactly what I do.

Yep. I'm at that big medical campus across the state from you, and I'm responsible for 583 printers in the main campus. The corporate crap is honestly worse than the printers themselves.

With the amount of almost daily bullshit that I have to put up with with our Ricoh techs, I'd welcome having someone on my staff be responsible for printers. I'd know where they are going to be and when, and if they were dicks to our staff we could fire their rear end instead of doing nothing because Ricoh won't give me contact information for their regional service managers, and we're locked into a contact.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So I am completely stumped on troubleshooting what should be a simple deploy.

We use MDT off a boot stick (non-WDS) to deploy our new machines. I'm doing a Dell Precision Tower 7810, and the MDT process goes fine (detects/injects drivers, installs the OS fine, moves to the next stage).

However, upon booting into the Win7 desktop, it never gets an IP. Stuck with an APIPA address and eventually the deploy process errors out. I can ping localhost

I have: Confirmed that the system deploys with network drivers. Swapped out the lines. Used different ports. Tested both lines/ports with another device,and I get a DHCP address. IPconfig /release /renew. Uninstalled the drivers for the NIC and reinstalled them from a freshly downloaded copy off Dell's site. Just done the whole MDT process again. Nothing.

What makes no sense to me is that the MDT process obviously requires a network connection, and I've confirmed that, when it's in WinPE, this machine is obviously getting a DHCP IP address. But once it reaches Windows, nope.

Our network requires that MAC addresses be whitelisted in order to get a DHCP address, and I have removed/readded this machine's MAC twice now, to no avail. But if that were the problem MDT wouldn't have worked anyway.

Going to try installing Wireshark to see if I can figure out what's happening to its DHCP discovery packets, I guess. It's definitely sending packets out. Other than that I'm about ready to just install Windows 7 from scratch.

:argh:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

So I am completely stumped on troubleshooting what should be a simple deploy.

We use MDT off a boot stick (non-WDS) to deploy our new machines. I'm doing a Dell Precision Tower 7810, and the MDT process goes fine (detects/injects drivers, installs the OS fine, moves to the next stage).

However, upon booting into the Win7 desktop, it never gets an IP. Stuck with an APIPA address and eventually the deploy process errors out. I can ping localhost

I have: Confirmed that the system deploys with network drivers. Swapped out the lines. Used different ports. Tested both lines/ports with another device,and I get a DHCP address. IPconfig /release /renew. Uninstalled the drivers for the NIC and reinstalled them from a freshly downloaded copy off Dell's site. Just done the whole MDT process again. Nothing.

What makes no sense to me is that the MDT process obviously requires a network connection, and I've confirmed that, when it's in WinPE, this machine is obviously getting a DHCP IP address. But once it reaches Windows, nope.

Our network requires that MAC addresses be whitelisted in order to get a DHCP address, and I have removed/readded this machine's MAC twice now, to no avail. But if that were the problem MDT wouldn't have worked anyway.

Going to try installing Wireshark to see if I can figure out what's happening to its DHCP discovery packets, I guess. It's definitely sending packets out. Other than that I'm about ready to just install Windows 7 from scratch.

:argh:

Is the dhcp client service running on the computer? I have had issues where somehow this service gets corrupt and won't start.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Is the dhcp client service running on the computer? I have had issues where somehow this service gets corrupt and won't start.

Yep, taking a look at Wireshark it shows it sending out several DHCP discovery packets, getting a few DHCP Inform packets, finally sending a DHCP Request packet, and never getting a response. Would almost make me think it's a router issue if this wasn't the only machine that's ever done this.

I will try restarting the service though (I've turned the computer off and am about to move it to a different room, don't ask my why).

I'm going to spend a little more time on this but I've realized that it'd be a lot more cost effective to just install a spare standalone NIC if I don't resolve it soon.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yep, taking a look at Wireshark it shows it sending out several DHCP discovery packets, getting a few DHCP Inform packets, finally sending a DHCP Request packet, and never getting a response. Would almost make me think it's a router issue if this wasn't the only machine that's ever done this.

I will try restarting the service though (I've turned the computer off and am about to move it to a different room, don't ask my why).

I'm going to spend a little more time on this but I've realized that it'd be a lot more cost effective to just install a spare standalone NIC if I don't resolve it soon.

Can you check and see if there is an older system with the same hostname stuck in DNS as the new computer? Any weird firewall settings, you could try turning the firewall off completely on the computer if it isnt already.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sounds like she needs to :yotj:. Like seriously, she's getting paid $7.35 an hour and doing all that? Or am I misreading?

^ This

The amount of bullshit I'm willing to put up with directly relates to my pay. Minimum wage isn't even enough to get me to show up to work on time.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sickening posted:

When my daughter was born in April the nurses at the hospital somehow got wind of me being "in IT" and I was bombarded with printer horror stories. They even tried to get me to leave the wife and baby in the room to come look at a printer, and this is at a very well-off and successful hospital.

Nurses destroy printers on the daily, from what I hear. And if other establishments are like this one they don't buy enterprise class hardware or MFPs, they buy consumer HP dogshit and throw it wherever it fits.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

anthonypants posted:

Especially with the medical industry closing in on becoming Completely Paperless!!!

I'm not entirely sure if this was sarcasm or not, but I can assure all of you that we are probably around 50 years from that actually having a chance of happening. You're talking about an industry that still uses fax machines as a primary means of day-to-day communication in most places. Not digital faxes either, good old-fashioned "print->fax->shred" workflows.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So it's working after I plugged it into a third cable/port. I'm completely lost at this point.

To be clear, other machines get an IP address/etc just fine on the two cables/ports I was using before. I just tested them again after seeing that this machine was working. And again, MDT worked fine on the first two cables/ports. :iiam:

Hostname should be unique (Dell tags our machines, and we prefix that with our department designation to get the hostname).

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Dragyn posted:

I'm not entirely sure if this was sarcasm or not, but I can assure all of you that we are probably around 50 years from that actually having a chance of happening. You're talking about an industry that still uses fax machines as a primary means of day-to-day communication in most places. Not digital faxes either, good old-fashioned "print->fax->shred" workflows.

Trust me, healthcare doesn't have a monopoly on antiquated technology. The Financial sector still uses fax machines heavily. poo poo, the Fed *requires* faxing with custom coversheets.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

When my daughter was born in April the nurses at the hospital somehow got wind of me being "in IT" and I was bombarded with printer horror stories. They even tried to get me to leave the wife and baby in the room to come look at a printer, and this is at a very well-off and successful hospital.

Nurses destroy printers on the daily, from what I hear. And if other establishments are like this one they don't buy enterprise class hardware or MFPs, they buy consumer HP dogshit and throw it wherever it fits.

The hospital I'm at has at least a thousand HP's that I thankfully am not responsible for, I only deal with the MFP's.

anthonypants posted:

They are just now transitioning away from paper chart copies. The main printer responsible for chart copies just broke 3,000,000 impressions. It's kinda crazy.

Sickening posted:

I average about 40 tickets a day. Parts wear out, automatic ordering doesn't work, people don't know how to clean scan glass, whatever. I usually get 2 actual fun tickets a day that require tearing the machine apart. Granted, that's for nearly 600 machines at a hospital complex of 11 buildings.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rhymenoserous posted:

The amount of bullshit I'm willing to put up with directly relates to my pay. Minimum wage isn't even enough to get me to show up to work on time. get out of bed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stubblyhead posted:

The amount of bullshit I'm willing to put up with directly relates to my pay. Minimum wage isn't even enough to get me to show up to work on time. get out of bed. wake up.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

A ticket came in, or a phone call, or an email.. Apparently there are some companies going around contacting people who run sites with SSL certificates saying something is wrong with the certificate. Whenever I ask who they are with they can never reply with the right company that we get our SSL cert's from.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B8bJ9f-VwE

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So it's working after I plugged it into a third cable/port. I'm completely lost at this point.

To be clear, other machines get an IP address/etc just fine on the two cables/ports I was using before. I just tested them again after seeing that this machine was working. And again, MDT worked fine on the first two cables/ports. :iiam:

Hostname should be unique (Dell tags our machines, and we prefix that with our department designation to get the hostname).

Does the WinPE set it's own MAC or is it using the the NIC's MAC? I only ask, because if you can get it working by changing the port, I wonder if you're experiencing an issue with port security. The other workstations may have started working after a specific aging time was met.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Sounds like sticky arp is turned on.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
2006 iMac status: Installed the new hard drive, but I still can't boot from the install DVD. I can get to the Startup Manager, but nothing is listed. Holding down C while booting up doesn't do anything different. Any ideas?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Trust me, healthcare doesn't have a monopoly on antiquated technology. The Financial sector still uses fax machines heavily. poo poo, the Fed *requires* faxing with custom coversheets.

Why hello there.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Segmentation Fault posted:

2006 iMac status: Installed the new hard drive, but I still can't boot from the install DVD. I can get to the Startup Manager, but nothing is listed. Holding down C while booting up doesn't do anything different. Any ideas?

Create a bootable drive/USB key with either the latest version of OS X or whatever version was installed on the iMac and then boot from that. The iMac could have a bad DVD drive so booting from an external disk is your best bet. It's way faster than the install DVD and can be loaded up with troubleshooting programs. See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 on how to do it for Yosemite and Mavericks

Also look at what MiniFoo posted to get around the firmware block

MiniFoo posted:

There are ways around this by making an image of whatever OS X disc you want, then modifying the installer script:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-w-pictures-installing-os-x-non-retail-on-un-supported-macs.859806/

Follow those directions until you get to the Distribution file, then basically just comment this entire section out:

This also has the added bonus of allowing you to install the modified image from a flash drive, which is faster than optical media. I can verify this works great, as I recently installed 10.5.7 on an old MacBook that was running 10.5.8 because that was the only disc I had available at the time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

None that don't rhyme with dumpster. Using a 5-7 year life cycle date, it's 2-4 years past "Time to replace" anyways. You've spent more time and money (In the form of payroll/parts) trying to fix it than it is technically worth. Print out the definition of "Sunk Cost Fallacy", tape it to the top and then throw it the gently caress away.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Why hello there.

Without rules there's nothing but anarchy, god drat it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pr0digal posted:

Create a bootable drive/USB key with either the latest version of OS X or whatever version was installed on the iMac and then boot from that. The iMac could have a bad DVD drive so booting from an external disk is your best bet. It's way faster than the install DVD and can be loaded up with troubleshooting programs.

Bad DVD drive could explain the behavior beforehand. Is it possible to make a bootable drive using OS X Tiger from a Windows machine?

• Locked thread