Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Larry Parrish posted:

Ever heard of the Spanish Armada? :smugdog:

Have you?

The Armada suffered something in the region of 40% losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And it was less due to combat and due to being lost and trying to go all the way around scotland without supplies

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Dibujante posted:

Have you occupied that province? You can't demand unoccupied provinces from someone who is junior to the person you're negotiating with (and since you can't negotiate with a PU/vassal, you are always affected by this in that case). Unfortunately, the explanatory text is flat-out wrong. If you occupy the province you can demand it.

I fully occupied (except Faroes et al/Iceland) both Norway and Denmark. Still couldn't demand it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Holy crap you can get some crazy development levels by stacking cost reductions in the beta patch.

I cheated myself just so see how low I could get it with a stock country. A free city in the HRE with economic, all the techs, and a university went down to 14 admin (with a starting level development of 17). I got the one province ulm up to 150 development and each additional development level only cost about 60-70 monarch points.

Say hello to kingdom level one province minor in my next run baby.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Is it feasible to try to colony steal as Aztecs anymore? I've been getting back into the game by playing Aztec for the first time (last I played was pre-el dorado) and I'm able to get all the religious reforms by 1500. But I'm at amin tech 1, and getting 5 before Spain shows up at my doorstop, finding a colony in South America (which is kinda rough since the basic natives slowly murder my expedition force on the way down), and seizing it seems impossible, especially since Spain seems to show up around in Central America around 1525-1530.

I got all the way to getting an conquistador when Spain showed up last time, and completely wrecked me. I figured my only way forward was to Westernize ASAP but I was left with almost no admin points after pushing admin tech that hard, so Westernizing was pretty awful, and by then Spain got Colonial Spain making GBS threads colonies all along the eastern Central American coast.

There's probably a way to get all your reforms before 1500 with truce breaking but I'm just not good enough at the game to do it without getting coalition'd and murdered by the Mayans and whatever Nautl nations are left.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I'm seeing a LOT more wipes using the beta patch. Anyone else notice the same? In situations where armies would've retreated before they're just gone.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The new "must be able to core province to demand it" rule actually makes westernizing via Danzig and the other provinces a decent challenge. You can't just snipe it early now, you have to make a land path towards it first which means probably having to fight Poland/Lithuania at least once. Although vassal/diplo-annexing might be an option, but that would require Poland to win their war against TO first and take a bunch of their territories to get the cost down.

reL
May 20, 2007
So with the fact that Rome will allow painless westernization, is the recommended Tunis strategy to try and grab it early on? Or will that just wind up getting you poo poo on? I've never taken Rome as a muslim country, I'm not sure what sort of dogpile to expect.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

reL posted:

So with the fact that Rome will allow painless westernization, is the recommended Tunis strategy to try and grab it early on? Or will that just wind up getting you poo poo on? I've never taken Rome as a muslim country, I'm not sure what sort of dogpile to expect.

Rome doesn't do that, only Prague, Vienna, and Danzig

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Taking Rome itself doesn't trigger any huge events or anything, but you'll be pretty exposed to a bunch of people who don't like you at all. But if you're allied with say, the Ottomans, then none of them will do anything about it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Don't remember reading about this one in the patch notes:

I was a little annoyed because I was way over my forcelimits and had some tiny merc regiments I couldn't consolidate but couldn't move anywhere to be able to disband them.

This has to be the biggest comeback I've made in my ~1000 hours (yikes) of playing this game. Don't think I've ever been down to -87 war score and come back and won.

I attacked the Pope because his and Aragon's armies were running shattered through my territory and I thought I could wipe them and then turn around and beat Milan and Siena who were also allied to the Pope but I couldn't wipe them in time and was fighting with my 15k against their 45k. Aragon's army never left Italy even though they were getting torn up in Iberia by Castile and France but eventually I white peaced them out and began to grind down the rest of them. I had to ignore two stab hitting peace offers and right when they were about to be able to send the one that would've ended me I retook my province they were occupying. A tip for anyone playing in the HRE: don't underestimate the little free cities. Countries that before common sense would've been able to raise 3k troops like Siena are running around with 12k armies.

Another thing I noticed is I don't think I've ever seen rebels run for another province instead of besieging the one they're in before till now. They spawned in Lucca and ran straight for Firenze.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 1, 2015

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

VDay posted:

The new "must be able to core province to demand it" rule actually makes westernizing via Danzig and the other provinces a decent challenge. You can't just snipe it early now, you have to make a land path towards it first which means probably having to fight Poland/Lithuania at least once. Although vassal/diplo-annexing might be an option, but that would require Poland to win their war against TO first and take a bunch of their territories to get the cost down.

Well technically in order to enact the decision you not only need the province, but you have to be able to core it so I don't think it makes a huge difference. Also, it still takes you almost 20 years after GETTING the province before you can even enact the decision. Separatism must be below 1 in order to enact the decision. I think you start with 10 separatism for provinces taken in war and it goes down .5 a year. I could be wrong on that part.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
It's 15 separatism/30 years, but that's exactly why sniping Danzig early is so nice. By the time you carve a path out to be able to core it you've got separatism down to 0 and can Westernize the second you hit Admin 10. To be fair I'm only thinking about it coming from playing Muscovy/Russia a bunch, so maybe it ultimately won't make a super huge difference in terms of timing and westernizing. That's mostly just the first legitimately important instance of the new coring rule impacting gameplay that I've run into.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

VDay posted:

It's 15 separatism/30 years, but that's exactly why sniping Danzig early is so nice. By the time you carve a path out to be able to core it you've got separatism down to 0 and can Westernize the second you hit Admin 10. To be fair I'm only thinking about it coming from playing Muscovy/Russia a bunch, so maybe it ultimately won't make a super huge difference in terms of timing and westernizing. That's mostly just the first legitimately important instance of the new coring rule impacting gameplay that I've run into.

Hmm, good point. I didn't think of that at all.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yashichi posted:

Rome doesn't do that; only Prague, Vienna, and Danzig
I kinda wish there was a province in Italy or nearer the Med than Vienna that one could westernize off of. It would be neat if Paradox added a couple more provinces to the list...Lisbon, Barcelona, Marseille, and something in North Italy (Milan/Venice/Firenze) and allow Muslims to Westernize just like Eastern and Anatolian tech countries can.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

VDay posted:

No, especially for a Russian power it won't make a bit of difference, because you can just leapfrog from the Gulf of Finland, down to western Livonia, and then to Danzig.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A halfway decent Muscovy/Novgorod player can steamroll the Polish-Lithuanians anyway. If you're quick you can be a dirty bastard and vassalize LO in a war, then spend time smashing Novgorod and maybe Kazan. Then once you integrate, with any luck, you're either stronger than the Poles anyway or they have hosed around fighting Hungary/Brandenburg instead of the TO.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Kersch posted:

This may be true but it's also true that they did this in real life and not in eu4. The way forts block movement now is great for gameplay.

This!

I am very proud of the new fortsystem. I love doing eu4 expansions with Wiz and his team.

Maybe we should post a devdiary tomorrow about how our designprocess works and why that has improved EU4 beyond our wildest hopes in the last 1.5 years.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

aeglus posted:

Well technically in order to enact the decision you not only need the province, but you have to be able to core it so I don't think it makes a huge difference. Also, it still takes you almost 20 years after GETTING the province before you can even enact the decision. Separatism must be below 1 in order to enact the decision. I think you start with 10 separatism for provinces taken in war and it goes down .5 a year. I could be wrong on that part.

fun fact: if you give a province to a vassal and then diplo-annex the vassal, regardless of whether the vassal had a core on the province, the separatism will vanish.

heard this one from a friend using pro silesia-prague 'tech'

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

pdxjohan posted:

Maybe we should post a devdiary tomorrow about how our designprocess works and why that has improved EU4 beyond our wildest hopes in the last 1.5 years.

Would be amazing to read!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

pdxjohan posted:

I'd be down for this, I loving hearing about your successes over the last few years. Good to know other people think they're as good as we do after all. :v:

At the same time post the EU4 team's vacation schedule, so I can be jealous of all your holiday time again. :smith:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Eh, actually dealing with Poland-Lithuania and whoever they've allied early in the game is going to be pretty annoying regardless of how powerful you are. If nothing else their forts are pretty annoying and mean any war is going to be an ugly, prolonged one since they'll always just retreat after a loss and rebuild until they're thousands in debt.

Actually speaking of LO, the new coring rules affect taking that over too, since now you can't take Riga in a peace deal before annexing/vassalizing LO. My go-to move was giving all that land to Pskov, and since LO's total province warscore was a convenient 97%, you could take Riga first and then grab LO and get all that land cleanly. Oh and also I'm not sure which province it was, but one of Novgorod's four southwestern provinces got a development/warscore buff because I used to always take 5 of those provinces in my first war with them, but now only 4 fit under 100% if I want to also humiliate them, which I of course always want to do because hello free ~70 PP a year into the game.

Curious to see how the AI handles Muscovy now though considering the buffs they got to their starting position. 3 Diplomats, 23k troops instead of 20k, 3 total forts instead of just Moscow's (which also now adds .7 AT right off the bat), and a 29 initial force limit compared to the pre-patch's 25. Maybe they'll actually manage to conquer Novgorod once in a blue moon now (probably not)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I've always found Poland-Lithuania way too weak anyway. You can just sit on your hands and beat up some hordes, and Lithuania will usually fall apart all on their own. Which sucks, because conflict with Poland completely dominated Muscovite foreign policy, while the hordes were almost a side show.

How early are you going after Riga? The LO tends to stick around a while, and you should be able to core Riga just based on naval range (assuming that's not been buggered up by the colonization/exploration bugs in the beta). That's really the great thing about the new westernization decisions; you no longer need to rush to do it, because it gives you a way to westernize while you're already huge. Keeping up in tech (esp. military) as Muscovy has never been difficult anyway.

And I don't think Novgorod has been buffed at all. You can take way more of their land in one war than you could pre-CS. Pretty sure that's just a cost boost from you also humiliating them, which if I remember the patch notes correctly, also makes other demands more expensive.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PittTheElder posted:

And I don't think Novgorod has been buffed at all. You can take way more of their land in one war than you could pre-CS. Pretty sure that's just a cost boost from you also humiliating them, which if I remember the patch notes correctly, also makes other demands more expensive.

Yeah I've only started playing again after taking like a 1.5 year break when CS came out. In 1.12 you can take Novgorod, Neva, Kholm, that province that borders LO, and the province above Neva while also humiliating Novgorod for like ~99% warscore. It was actually super nice because you didn't even have to siege Neva down (which is annoying because Novgorod has its ships there so it takes forever) and could just wait for a month or two for the warscore to tick up enough. In 1.13 something about doing that bumps the warscore past 100%, so you can't take the province above Neva. Not a big deal at all, just something I noticed.

And my optimal start in 1.12 with Muscovy was to declare war on Novgorod literally day 1, take the 5 aforementioned provinces, start fabricating a claim on one of LO's territories that you now border, and then most likely declare war shortly after the claim is made. There's this really nice timing window where you get your claim on LO right as Poland puts Lithuania in a PU, which eliminates Lithuania's alliance with LO and leaves them with just Riga and TO as allies. If they're at war with/against Sweden in their independence war, or if Poland attacks TO, then LO/Riga are pretty much free. I got my Muscovy start down so that a decade into the game I would have most of Novgorod's provinces (if they decide to ally Tver or Ryazan after my first war it's even more free territory), all of Riga+LO would be Pskov's to core/convert for me, owned Danzig and maybe another TO province, Tver would be Yaroslav's, Ryazan would be annexed, and either Kazan or Golden Horde would be ready for a cleanup after they inevitably fight each other and one of them gets crippled as a result.

Muscovy can get off to kind of a ridiculous start when played by a human, which made it all the funnier to see them constantly get crushed when the AI would pick terrible fights with Sweden/Novgorod and Golden Horde/Kazan/Timurids/Nogai.

VDay fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 1, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

pdxjohan posted:

This!

I am very proud of the new fortsystem. I love doing eu4 expansions with Wiz and his team.

A devdiary would be nice, but I would actually love to hear or watch a proper web series about your design process, as well as experiences from the type of model your studio uses, and how it has helped and hindered developing EUIV and CK2. I know Henrik Fahraeus has been on a podcast on the Idle Thumbs site called "Designer Notes" (to anyone who hasn't heard it: https://www.idlethumbs.net/designernotes/episodes/henrik-fahraeus) where he has talked about working on CK2, and discussed comparisons to Civ with Jon Shafer and it was extremely interesting, but I would really love for you guys to sit in your streaming studio and just talk about development.

Talk about how the design process works, discuss influences from the original EU all the way up to what has influenced modern EU, what your business model has done to your approach and how that may have adjusted fan expectations, the sort. Just you and the teams sitting down and talking shop. Also, get tales from the team about funny bugs. I will always read/listen/watch the team talk about funny bugs.

It would be interesting for me to listen to, for certain, but it might also be interesting for other studios who employ different methods to yours.

Incidentally, I think forts are the best thing to happen to EUIV, so thanks to you and the team for adding them. It adds a lot of strategic depth to the game in my eyes.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 1, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah forts are great, although I think there's still some room for refinement there. Moving around between provinces that have 2-3 forts neighboring them is still a bit wonky sometimes and every once in a while I get into a situation where it feels like I should be able to get by (just in terms of where my guys are on the map, not that I think the mechanic's broken or anything) but can't. And I'd love a diary about the design process as well. I got a friend of mine into CK2 and we talked a lot about how neat all the systems and mechanics are and how you even go about combining Sims with Civ.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VDay posted:

Yeah forts are great, although I think there's still some room for refinement there. Moving around between provinces that have 2-3 forts neighboring them is still a bit wonky sometimes and every once in a while I get into a situation where it feels like I should be able to get by (just in terms of where my guys are on the map, not that I think the mechanic's broken or anything) but can't. And I'd love a diary about the design process as well. I got a friend of mine into CK2 and we talked a lot about how neat all the systems and mechanics are and how you even go about combining Sims with Civ.

I really hate situations where you have two forts in a row, and the second fort somehow blocks movement to the first, so you have to take a huge detour around their country to siege a fort so you can siege the actual closest fort to your nation.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

event posted:

OR = {
emperor = {
exists = yes
NOT = { war_with = FRA }
}
emperor = {
exists = no
}
}

Does anyone know how this part of the King of Burgundy Dies event behaves if you're the emperor as France?
The emperor exists and is not at war with FRA since he is FRA. So the event should be able to trigger, right?

I've waited with triggering wars against Burgundy until I am emperor in the hopes I'd inherit them entirely, but now I am not sure if I can even do that.

vvv Ah thanks, so my plan is gonna work, now to DoW them and keep the war going until the event fires, got over 900 dip for war exhaustion

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 1, 2015

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

Does anyone know how this part of the King of Burgundy Dies event behaves if you're the emperor as France?
The emperor exists and is not at war with FRA since he is FRA. So the event should be able to trigger, right?

You get everything.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Has something changed with this? I'm playing an OP HRE Papal States game and Italian provinces are being constantly converted by a Protestant center of reformation in Denmark and a Reformed center in England.

This is sort of baffling to me.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Moridin920 posted:

This was irritating the gently caress out of me last night.

I can move into a province from the left, I can move into a province from the right. Moving all the way through the province? Nope gotta go like 10 provinces around even though all forts nearby are besieged and their armies have been completely smashed.

I'm probably just not used to it yet but goddamn. I get that it is supposed to keep big empires from smashing little countries but at the same time when I've already defeated their armies and I'm just waiting 4-5 years to be able to get to their capital it's brutal.

One of my issues is that it is kind of hard to tell after a certain point when there are forts everywhere what exactly the pathways are but again I'm probably just not used to it.

I think what Paradox is trying to do is simulate the ways in which forts were actually strategically placed to block the movement of men and material in choke points.

They were not willynilly thrown up wherever, and should not be construed in-game as some sort of "city" defenses.

Like Ehrenbreitein fortress. There was no way a 14th through early 19th century army invading the central Rhine region from France could have bypassed it.

Or think about the Maginot Line (or just World War One). The Germans bypassed heavily fortified French positions by invading France through Belgium.

They could not really slip past fortified French positions along the French/German border no matter how big the German army was.

Edit

I suppose this could be "fixed" by forcing the AI or player to choose the direction from which a fortress defends provinces from attack; however, I think that's a little to detail oriented as far as the type of military scale EUIV tries to achieve.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 1, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I love the new fort system. Makes wars more fun and feel better.

My only complaints are -

1.) The issue someone else noted where it seems like a fort deeper into the country blocks access to the fort you border. Some other weird zoc issues too, which I assume will be ironed out over time.

2.) Lack of clarity of where you can move and why/which fort is blocking you which is pretty much #1 again. I don't know how you can improve this visually, but it still needs work in my opinion. I kinda like the idea of visually highlighting 'NO GO' provinces with glowing red borders or something when you have a unit selected. The little 'red x fort' icon gets really lost in the sea of detail.

3.) Maybe a slight increase in cost per fort the more forts you have - to reduce fort blanketing? Maybe reduce this with defensive policy?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I always miss out on joining coalition wars against my hated enemies because I never notice that one is going on. Is there a way to reliably notice when a coalition is forming without constantly checking the ledger/mapmode?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

I always miss out on joining coalition wars against my hated enemies because I never notice that one is going on. Is there a way to reliably notice when a coalition is forming without constantly checking the ledger/mapmode?

Go to message settings and make "when another country joins a coalition" set to pop-up.

The beta patch was hotfixed:

15/07/01: Updated with a fix for broken colonization/exploration and early reformation. Extra cost for primitives to develop and cost for native buildings were also reduced.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

genericnick posted:

You get everything.

Ok I can now confirm this, easiest way to get the BBB achievement, now to PU Muscowy for the next part of this.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
What I would like to see added if possible was for the fort map mode to also show which provinces are adjacent to forts (and thus protected from rebels), to make it easier to see where you need to place more.

As it is, you really should have a fort adjacent to every single province, just in case you get rebels. I wish they would change that so the negative effects from rebels only get added if they manage to hold the province for a while or have the forts protect provinces that are close even if they're not adjacent. The current system makes it way more expensive to hold islands and certain other areas, because sometimes you need one fort per province while in other places a single fort can cover 6 provinces or more. Maybe that's an intended design choice though, so I'd be happy to get a better fort map mode.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

Ok I can now confirm this, easiest way to get the BBB achievement, now to PU Muscowy for the next part of this.

How are you doing this, are you vassalizing electors or are you bribing them somehow? Which electors did you vassalize?

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Any thoughts on the beta patch at the moment now the colonisation/reformed bug has been fixed?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I love the new fort system. Makes wars more fun and feel better.

My only complaints are -

1.) The issue someone else noted where it seems like a fort deeper into the country blocks access to the fort you border. Some other weird zoc issues too, which I assume will be ironed out over time.

2.) Lack of clarity of where you can move and why/which fort is blocking you which is pretty much #1 again. I don't know how you can improve this visually, but it still needs work in my opinion. I kinda like the idea of visually highlighting 'NO GO' provinces with glowing red borders or something when you have a unit selected. The little 'red x fort' icon gets really lost in the sea of detail.

3.) Maybe a slight increase in cost per fort the more forts you have - to reduce fort blanketing? Maybe reduce this with defensive policy?
I agree completely. I totally love the fort system and it makes EU4 a far better game but it has some kinks that I am certain will be worked out in time.

One thing I have noticed is that if you use boats to land troops on a fort that is isolated, say on an island or a peninsula, those troops CANNOT leave, even back on to their boats. I have no idea if that is WAD but it seems a bit odd. I could also have been experiencing some other sort of issue and will likely test it again when I get home. Some examples of this are:
I landed troops on Rhodes when invading The Knights as the Ottomans. I landed 12k troops to win the battle against their standing army and wanted to move 5k back off to reduce the attrition I was suffering, but couldnt.
Again as the Ottomans, I ended up at war with Naples, who was allied to Hungary. I wanted to knock them out of the war and exact some War Reparations so I landed soldiers on Calabria, which has a fort. I spotted a huge army in Napoli marching south so I wanted to evac my army, but it could not move anywhere at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Bort Bortles posted:

I agree completely. I totally love the fort system and it makes EU4 a far better game but it has some kinks that I am certain will be worked out in time.

One thing I have noticed is that if you use boats to land troops on a fort that is isolated, say on an island or a peninsula, those troops CANNOT leave, even back on to their boats. I have no idea if that is WAD but it seems a bit odd. I could also have been experiencing some other sort of issue and will likely test it again when I get home. Some examples of this are:
I landed troops on Rhodes when invading The Knights as the Ottomans. I landed 12k troops to win the battle against their standing army and wanted to move 5k back off to reduce the attrition I was suffering, but couldnt.
Again as the Ottomans, I ended up at war with Naples, who was allied to Hungary. I wanted to knock them out of the war and exact some War Reparations so I landed soldiers on Calabria, which has a fort. I spotted a huge army in Napoli marching south so I wanted to evac my army, but it could not move anywhere at all.

Yeah this happened to me when I was trying to quick siege one of Milan's provinces while they were in Morocco. My fleet was slightly too slow to blockade their huge army in Africa so I figured I'd just have my troops sail back before Milan could send 50k troops back to Genoa. 20k brave Ottomans found out the hard way that Milan has one-way invisible walls along their cost :(

I guess that's incentive to commit to a beach landing but I don't think it is WAD.

• Locked thread