Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
They were actually pretty good especially considering that was back when they would make a bunch of sandwiches and put them in a warming bin until they were ordered. Any lettuce or tomato would turn to slimy goop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Onion Nuggets look dank af to my hungry self right now

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Hirayuki posted:

Yeah. I'm old and ate a few of these. They were pretty good, I guess, but then again, I was a kid at the time and had dumb kid tastebuds. And as pentyne pointed out, the "assemble the rest of it yourself" thing doesn't really fly. Imagine trying to eat one of these in traffic:

"Y'know what Americans hate? Hot, melty cheese on their burgers!"

Honestly I kind of miss these. It was a good way to get homogeneous coverage of salad dressing without tossing it around in those lovely bowls terrified I'm going to spill it all over the place like an idiot moron baby.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

I made a bunch of beer-battered deep-fried garlic once (drinking, shut up), and it was AMAZING. I'd be down to try Onion McNuggets

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The McDLT is kind of a darling of "the way things use to be" :bahgawd: types.

It was killed by the banning of styrofoam packaging.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Edit: Also Spaghetti McD was totally my jam, even if it is quite sweet by Western standards:

(and yes, that is congee on lower left)

tribbledirigible has a new favorite as of 22:52 on Jun 30, 2015

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

cash crab posted:

What the gently caress is a DLT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

titties posted:

The hot side stayed hot and the cold side stayed cold motherfucker

It came in an insulating styrofoam container and it had a lid bitch

then you took off the lid and folded the clamshell closed and it was assembled and delicious

Or

OR

they could assemble my burger for me. Bonus points if they actually cut it into pieces and put it in my mouth for me

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I find that Wikipedia list of discontinued McDonald's menu items far more interesting than I probably should.

And I added to it, because I remember the McDonald's Cuban sandwich. :sweatdrop:

Those onion nuggets actually sound good, and I'd probably try making them myself if I had a deep fryer.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

cash crab posted:

Or

OR

they could assemble my burger for me. Bonus points if they actually cut it into pieces and put it in my mouth for me

Probably why Fuddruckers ended up going bankrupt.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

cash crab posted:

Or

OR

Yeah, tbh I don't think I'd have enough energy these days to place both halves of the burger together because you have to lift it to your mouth and also chew and I pretty much wore myself out when I unwrapped the straw.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

pentyne posted:

Probably why Fuddruckers ended up going bankrupt.

Fuddruckers aren't around anymore? I remember they used to have like sides of beef hanging in their windows and you could put whatever the hell you wanted on the burger. I liked that place.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

titties posted:

Yeah, tbh I don't think I'd have enough energy these days to place both halves of the burger together because you have to lift it to your mouth and also chew and I pretty much wore myself out when I unwrapped the straw.

I'm getting exhausted just thinking about it

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

McDonalds has had some less than spectacular food ideas.

Not for nothin', but salad in a jar that you shake up when you're ready to eat is a great way to transport it without it getting soggy from dressing. I don't think they assembled these the same way though.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, you guys unwrap your straws? Shiiiiiiit.

The Arch Deluxe was pretty good. That's back when McDonald's wasn't yet total poo poo (or when I was a kid and didn't know any fuckin' better, that's probably it). The Big n' Tasty that replaced it was just generic burgin', I don't care if it was the '90s resurrection of the McDLT.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fuddruckers aren't around anymore? I remember they used to have like sides of beef hanging in their windows and you could put whatever the hell you wanted on the burger. I liked that place.

They are, they got hit hard by the recession, closed a bunch of locations and sold off the company to someone else in 2011 I think. As far as I know they still do the fixin's bar thing...which I also liked, mostly because I could get like a pound of pickles to eat with my burger.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Wait, you guys unwrap your straws? Shiiiiiiit.

The Arch Deluxe was pretty good. That's back when McDonald's wasn't yet total poo poo (or when I was a kid and didn't know any fuckin' better, that's probably it). The Big n' Tasty that replaced it was just generic burgin', I don't care if it was the '90s resurrection of the McDLT.

The Arch Deluxe was really good. It was also like $6, which seems about normal today but this was in 1996. I could go to Hot 'n Now and get a sackfull of 35-cent cheeseburgers, fries, and a drink for 2 days for the cost of an Arch Deluxe.

However, it was the "adult" burger and at 16 I felt very grown-up driving my own car through the drivethrough and ordering one.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Plinkey posted:

They are, they got hit hard by the recession, closed a bunch of locations and sold off the company to someone else in 2011 I think. As far as I know they still do the fixin's bar thing...which I also liked, mostly because I could get like a pound of pickles to eat with my burger.

Ok good. I know there's none around me, but I one time made a burger with like half a pound of jalapeños, red onions, and pickles and it was simultaneously the best and worst my breathe has ever smelled.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plinkey posted:

That's precisely why I was in heaven the first time I stepped into a Fuddrucker's and saw the fixin's bar. Which immediately plummeted into hell when I realized that the pickles weren't the proper salty neon green fast food kind, but rather those pallid, limp, sickly things that I'm convinced exist only because onions are too exotic for some people.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

PhotoKirk posted:

I made a bunch of beer-battered deep-fried garlic once (drinking, shut up), and it was AMAZING. I'd be down to try Onion McNuggets

I would try that garlic sober. Sounds awesome.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is that Paté?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Wanamingo posted:

McDonalds has had some less than spectacular food ideas.

I know that's supposed to be a cob of corn, but I seriously see some Cambrian era deep sea extinct worm.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

sirbeefalot posted:

Not for nothin', but salad in a jar that you shake up when you're ready to eat is a great way to transport it without it getting soggy from dressing. I don't think they assembled these the same way though.

With those things you added the dressing and such yourself and then shook it up. For the observant amongst us, they actually illustrated the main problem with having people shake their salad up in the advertisement itself.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

Not for nothin', but salad in a jar that you shake up when you're ready to eat is a great way to transport it without it getting soggy from dressing.

I do this all the time. Put the dressing in first, then your greens & veg, then the "dry" stuff up top. Stick it in the work fridge and shake it all together come lunch.

Plus, I know it'll always be there when I go to eat it because nobody is gonna steal a salad :laugh:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is that Paté?

No, it's ketchup

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

No, it's ketchup

Pretty sure it's bananas

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

pentyne posted:

McD has a pretty robust history of people not understand their core brand and attempting to do something completely stupid and unnecessary. For example

On the other hand... they inaugurated one of their stores in my city (Milan, Italy) by dressing it up as an overpriced gourmet burger place for a day, they even hired two semi-celebrity chefs (who still had to follow the McDonald's recipes to the letter and only got free reign on the presentation). It was a huge success and nobody suspected they were eating McDonald's in a better packaging and at a markup, so maybe they could spin off a "gourmet" brand

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

cash crab posted:

This made me laugh for some reason

anyway:

Putting Spaghetti Bolognese in a taco with some lovely orange cheese on top isn't genius random woman on the internet.

cash crab posted:

What the gently caress is a DLT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSdUOC8Kac

Jason Alexander why!?

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Jul 1, 2015

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Reminds me of this:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's bechamel sauce, right...?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

I find that Wikipedia list of discontinued McDonald's menu items far more interesting than I probably should.

You'll love this, then: a cookbook for recreating McDonald's menu items, past and present.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
there's vomit on his spaghetti already

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

AnonSpore posted:

That's bechamel sauce, right...?

You and I both know it's probably cream cheese.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Toriori posted:

You and I both know it's probably cream cheese.
Alfredo sauce. From a jar.

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster

Hirayuki posted:

Alfredo sauce. From a jar.

I found the original recipe

quote:

*1 lb of ground beef

*1 jar of spaghetti sauce

*8 oz of cream cheese

*1/4 cup sour cream

*1/2 lb cottage cheese (equals 1 cup)

*1/2 cup butter (1 stick)

*1 pkg spaghetti 16 oz

*Grated cheddar cheese

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, God, it's even worse than I imagined! :gonk:

AnxietyMan1488
Apr 6, 2015

by Cowcaster
" Put a few more slices of butter on top of the noodles. "

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

quote:

Searing seals in the juices and flavors.

:bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

AnxietyMan1488 posted:

" Put a few more slices of butter on top of the noodles. "

What is the Million Dollar aspect to this dish? That's how much you'll be paying to have a triple bypass? I don't know how healthcare works in the states; I assume this is a 'murrcan invention

• Locked thread