Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I had actually been spoiled on the subject so I can't tell if the scene felt off because I knew about what was happening or because there were genuine clues. I mean, in a game with Scarecrow as the main villain, you kind of can't take any bad thing that happens at face value. But... based on their past treatment of female characters, I was completely willing to believe that Rocksteady would off Barbara just for the drama and the "LOOK HOW GRIM AND MATURE OUR GAME IS, THIS IS WHY THE GAME IS RATED M" thing.

Now I haven't actually gotten to the point where the reveal happens because I've been dicking around doing a bajillion sidequests (I'M GONNA GET YOU PYG)That said, it's not really hard to figure out how Scarecrow knows what Batman saw under the effects of fear gas - he almost certainly rigged things to lead Batman to see exactly that. Barbara was probably genuinely in the room, genuinely under the effects of fear gas, and there may have been genuinely a gun in there. It was probably just loaded with blanks. Barbara wouldn't even have to actually try shooting herself for Batman to see that. He only has to know that she has a gun and hear the gun go off. It's only a matter of Scarecrow knowing what's most likely to scare Batman and if Scarecrow couldn't guess that, then he wouldn't be very loving good at his job.

Barbara helpless + gun + sound of gun firing = ? Bats isn't going to be afraid of Barbara firing the gun at him, especially with the glass in the way, so what's the only possible thing Barbara could do with the gun that would terrify him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Levantine posted:

Do you not really understand why I might want each challenge to actually be a challenge? I could spend X hours flying around collecting 300 trinkets or I could spend the same time solving 50 involved, interesting puzzles.

I suppose I just assume the result of that would be complaints that the puzzles are bullshit and too hard and why the gently caress didn't Rocksteady just make a bunch of easier ones.

It probably boils down to me, yes, not understanding why people find the most painless (and rather fun) collectathon I've ever seen in a game so aggravating.

Hell, they even did what you want, the Catwoman puzzles ARE the involved ones.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I suppose I just assume the result of that would be complaints that the puzzles are bullshit and too hard and why the gently caress didn't Rocksteady just make a bunch of easier ones.

It probably boils down to me, yes, not understanding why people find the most painless (and rather fun) collectathon I've ever seen in a game so aggravating.

Hell, they even did what you want, the Catwoman puzzles ARE the involved ones.

Yeah, I mean you can't make everyone happy. The Catowoman puzzles are definitely fun. I just find item collection tedious on its own without a fun activity to back it up. There are so many other reasons to explore the city and drive/glide around, I just feel like Riddler Trophies don't need to be another.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

There are so many other reasons to explore the city and drive/glide around, I just feel like Riddler Trophies don't need to be another.

.. Honestly, I can't think of many. I mean there are sidequests but they're all clearly marked or just groups of guys to punch/groups of tanks to blow up, aside from maybe the checkpoints which have some interesting gimmicks. The Riddler trophies are the most interesting reason to explore the city to me because at least some of them represent something besides the same basic gameplay. This applies to City and Knight equally.

I normally hate collect-a-thons but I hate empty boring cities I'm supposed to be impressed by due to their non-interactive size more.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

.. Honestly, I can't think of many. I mean there are sidequests but they're all clearly marked or just groups of guys to punch/groups of tanks to blow up, aside from maybe the checkpoints which have some interesting gimmicks. The Riddler trophies are the most interesting reason to explore the city to me because at least some of them represent something besides the same basic gameplay. This applies to City and Knight equally.

I normally hate collect-a-thons but I hate empty boring cities I'm supposed to be impressed by due to their non-interactive size more.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner. Yup, this is me.

I'm also the guy that gets bored of all the 'fun' mayhem you can create in a GTA or Saints Row game in about 5 minutes and actually plays the main story in those games.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

This is probably going to sound crazy, but if anything I think the game could have used MORE Riddler stuff to do.

In Arkham City, there were 440 and yeah, that was a little much but with the size of the game, you were tripping over Riddler stuff on every building you walked across. Arkham Knight has half the Riddler stuff to do, but in a city that's like five times bigger. poo poo's hard to find and that makes it more frustrating.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

This is probably going to sound crazy, but if anything I think the game could have used MORE Riddler stuff to do.

In Arkham City, there were 440 and yeah, that was a little much but with the size of the game, you were tripping over Riddler stuff on every building you walked across. Arkham Knight has half the Riddler stuff to do, but in a city that's like five times bigger. poo poo's hard to find and that makes it more frustrating.

Yeah, the huge gap in Riddler trophies makes them less engaging to me than in City because in City they were everywhere so I was just doing them as a matter of playing through the game while in Knight you have to actively seek them out. I'd rather them have done what they did in City and make capturing the Riddler not dependent on getting all the trophies and populate the game world more.

Edit: I think that is part of why I like City more. Arkham Knight has stronger core mechanics but I feel like I'm 'wasting' a lot more time. I went right back through City as soon as I finished it but the thought of redoing the Batmobile stuff leaves me feeling kinda... eh about Knight. The lack of Challenge Rooms also hurts.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 1, 2015

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Funky Valentine posted:

Note that Joker physically moves the gun, and then Barbara picks it up.

Also if I'm remembering correctly, Her shooting the glass cracks it, however it was cracked earlier when Poison Ivy bashed that dude's head into it. How did it uncrack? Fear Toxin, etc. etc.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I'm also the guy that gets bored of all the 'fun' mayhem you can create in a GTA or Saints Row game in about 5 minutes and actually plays the main story in those games.

me too. I appreciate it more when you're allowed to use that chaos to accomplish a goal because otherwise i've seen the explosion effects enough to know what poo poo will look like that its not worth the effort.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Not being able to read the storefront and restaurant signs because the textures take forever to load is also a pretty big discouragement from poking around to see what's there :)

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Something about the ending kinda bugged me. I thought Scarecrow was completely incapable of fear, wouldn't his own toxin have no effect on him?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

Something about the ending kinda bugged me. I thought Scarecrow was completely incapable of fear, wouldn't his own toxin have no effect on him?

Scarecrow isn't incapable of fear, only Batman seems to do it for him these days. It still seems unlikely that he wouldn't have tested the toxin on himself.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Killed the Cloudburst Tank. Is that the most annoying part of the game down? Cause holy crap what a slog.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Lunchtime reading

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Perry Normal posted:

Killed the Cloudburst Tank. Is that the most annoying part of the game down? Cause holy crap what a slog.

depends on how much riddler you can stomach

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Real hurthling! posted:

depends on how much riddler you can stomach

I can stomach all of it - I've already got most of the Riddler stuff done. Awesome, thanks!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Perry Normal posted:

Not even close. The next Batmobile boss fight is even worse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

:allears:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Perry Normal posted:

I can stomach all of it - I've already got most of the Riddler stuff done. Awesome, thanks!

Deathstroke boss fight is the exact same thing as the cloudburst boss fight. :ssh:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

JT Smiley posted:

Not even close. The next Batmobile boss fight is even worse.

The next fight was actually pretty easy for me because I had four bars of weapon charge after killing the other tanks, and a 10-missile barrage removed 75% of his health. Then it was just a matter of hammering off the remaining 25% while taking rockets to the face like a champ.

edit: Ignore me, that's a side quest boss, not main storyline one.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

quote:

One unexpected problem? The game’s secretive story. Rocksteady was deeply afraid of plot revelations being leaked ahead of release, said the same source, so traditional PC testing firms that are used to stress test games on different hardware configurations—one of the PC’s biggest hurdles—were avoided. From what I’m told, this is not an uncommon practice for major video games with story-heavy elements.

Yeah, Rocksteady's amazing story was something worth keeping secret and not obvious the entire time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr E posted:

Yeah, Rocksteady's amazing story was something worth keeping secret and not obvious the entire time.

People might figure out the plot twists that people figured out literally the moment the game was announced.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Ragdoll physics will never not be the best thing about these games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Commence th' jigglin'.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CuwiKhons posted:

I had actually been spoiled on the subject so I can't tell if the scene felt off because I knew about what was happening or because there were genuine clues. I mean, in a game with Scarecrow as the main villain, you kind of can't take any bad thing that happens at face value. But... based on their past treatment of female characters, I was completely willing to believe that Rocksteady would off Barbara just for the drama and the "LOOK HOW GRIM AND MATURE OUR GAME IS, THIS IS WHY THE GAME IS RATED M" thing.

Now I haven't actually gotten to the point where the reveal happens because I've been dicking around doing a bajillion sidequests (I'M GONNA GET YOU PYG)That said, it's not really hard to figure out how Scarecrow knows what Batman saw under the effects of fear gas - he almost certainly rigged things to lead Batman to see exactly that. Barbara was probably genuinely in the room, genuinely under the effects of fear gas, and there may have been genuinely a gun in there. It was probably just loaded with blanks. Barbara wouldn't even have to actually try shooting herself for Batman to see that. He only has to know that she has a gun and hear the gun go off. It's only a matter of Scarecrow knowing what's most likely to scare Batman and if Scarecrow couldn't guess that, then he wouldn't be very loving good at his job.

Barbara helpless + gun + sound of gun firing = ? Bats isn't going to be afraid of Barbara firing the gun at him, especially with the glass in the way, so what's the only possible thing Barbara could do with the gun that would terrify him?

Not really, if you collect all the Riddler stuff one of the audio logs reveals that Jason spent his spare time protecting Oracle from Scarecrow trying anything on her, they probably just put an empty wheelchair and a gun in there and let Batman fill in the blanks.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

People might figure out the plot twists that people figured out literally the moment the game was announced.

Like anyone could've foreseen the brilliant twist of Under the Red Hood Arkham Knight Original Story

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

This game would've been so much cooler if Owlman were the Arkham Knight, voiced by James Woods.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Joe Gillian posted:

This game would've been so much cooler if Owlman were the Arkham Knight, voiced by James Woods.

I honestly can't think of a better idea than this.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Flytrap posted:

The things a person sees under the effect of Scarecrow's fear gas can be directed to show exactly what the Scarecrow wants. He once made all of Gotham illiterate to show them how terrifying a generation of people who can't read is.

:laffo: I'm so, so sad I'll never get to hear John Noble monologuing about how this the entire game wouldn't have had to happen if the loving PTA had just given him money for his latchkey program

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

So, you want the number to be lower, but the process to still take the same time? :psyduck: Again, i really don't get people. I enjoy the little puzzles and the collection, it's the perfect thing to just shove a podcast on and chill out doing.

I have not played this yet. But if someone comes along and tells me "those collection quests are nice if you want to listen to a podcast" than I seriously ask myself what the gently caress is wrong with that person?
If you want to listen to a pod cast do it while taking a walk in the sun, doesn't hurt to go outside once in a while.

Play time is finite and I'd rather not spend it on tedious tasks with little reward while doing somthing else to keep myself entertained. That sort of invalidates the entire purpose of a game.

How is a game aspect good that offers so shallow entertainment that you feel doing a second thing simultaneously is good?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Drill fight was the worst part for me, game keep restarting with it moving before the camera reset so a few times I had to wait through loading screens just to immediately explode, as for Jason Todd being Arkham Knight, it was the most obvious thing and still can't see how it was supposed to be a twist when it was all just a bad rehash of Under the Hood, which sucks because Under the Red hood was one of the first things to get me into Batman in the first place, like Red hood was trying to show Batman his methods didn't work and a tragic element of feeling betrayed that Batman didn't avenge him, while Arkham Knight was just "No gently caress you dad" and whining that Batman was breakign his toys, at least with Red Hood there was a believably that he had the upper hand at a few points, also his being branded with a J was stupid, it was like Suicide Squad Joker having the Damaged tattoo, "He has a J scar because Joker left his mark on him"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mr E posted:

this was definitely the most loving hilarious thing. can't believe they'd be willing to put out a broken game because of this blindingly obvious story spoiler.

Perry Normal posted:

The tunnel "boss" "battle" was legit one of the worst loving things I've ever experienced in a videogame in years, just you wait. I died so many times due to poo poo physics/camera angles.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
New TV spot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st5_sX7-xC0

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
What do you seek in those tunnels, Batman? Fun? You won't find that here..

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't actually get the "Seek in those tunnels" meme. Does it play constantly for some people or something? I heard the line all of once.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

:golfclap:

Shoulda simulated slowdown and framedrop before the crash, though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

I don't actually get the "Seek in those tunnels" meme. Does it play constantly for some people or something? I heard the line all of once.

If you're bad that's where you reset when you die

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I didn't have a lot of trouble with that boss fight, especially since it doesn't reset to the start if you die.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I didn't have any trouble with it whatsoever either. I had more trouble with the Cloudburst tank because the Arkham Knight would try and loving hunt you down like the Terminator during sections of it and eat your health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MinibarMatchman posted:

The tunnel "boss" "battle" was legit one of the worst loving things I've ever experienced in a videogame in years, just you wait. I died so many times due to poo poo physics/camera angles.

the whole game is littered with instant death bullshit.

• Locked thread