Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yeah, they used to clean up there, the rise of the USFs of the world was bad for them. I was wondering if the downgrading of the Big East/AAC would lead to a corresponding upswing, but those programs still seem to be recruiting at a decent level.

This is why I'm mad about all those schools using shitloads of subsidies to keep up with cost of attendance, coach pay, and all that other poo poo. P5 autonomy stuff doesn't help the lower tier power schools if all the other FBS schools use other funds to find a way to keep up. I thought that cost of attendance would give us a nice recruiting boost and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

At the time it was both. The field was really lovely that week (I was there, I saw it) but our S&C guy then was loving awful.

I'm coming up to Knoxville for the game this year. Show me a good bar that won't kill me for wearing red

I dunno Twisted Mikes I guess? Tin Roof? Is Tin Roof even still there? Half Barrel is ok.

Anywhere you go you gonna get bungholed with a beer bong.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

MindlessHavok posted:

I dunno Twisted Mikes I guess? Tin Roof? Is Tin Roof even still there? Half Barrel is ok.

Anywhere you go you gonna get bungholed with a beer bong.

Tin roof got shut down RIP

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Gonna agree that while Tennessee has shown a lot of positive flashes, 2016 is the better bet for a breakout season. Their schedule this year is pretty tough, and I think a lot of pundits are getting ahead of themselves because of the bowl game (which is an easy trap to fall into for any team, of course). At some point, Butch Jones is going to have to get a signature win over a team that is not South Carolina.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2015/06/27/man-who-depicted-chief-osceola-at-fsu-killed-in-gumbo-spices-argument/29398597/

Nigga rides in on a horse and plants a flaming spear in the ground like a bad rear end then gets a new job where he gets shanked over a quarter teaspoon of chili powder like some Martha Stewart intern rear end bitch

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

The Big Jesus posted:

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2015/06/27/man-who-depicted-chief-osceola-at-fsu-killed-in-gumbo-spices-argument/29398597/

Nigga rides in on a horse and plants a flaming spear in the ground like a bad rear end then gets a new job where he gets shanked over a quarter teaspoon of chili powder like some Martha Stewart intern rear end bitch

Yeah, rip

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

News: UGA's SBnation blog pointed out that so far no UGA players have been arrested
Views: How freaking sad is it that that is a thing and we all know it is only a matter of time

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
5th tier Florida recruits are better than a whole lot of state's 1st tier recruits.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crotch Bat posted:

5th tier Florida recruits are better than a whole lot of state's 1st tier recruits.

The Gators could use some of those players.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Thoguh posted:

This is why I'm mad about all those schools using shitloads of subsidies to keep up with cost of attendance, coach pay, and all that other poo poo. P5 autonomy stuff doesn't help the lower tier power schools if all the other FBS schools use other funds to find a way to keep up. I thought that cost of attendance would give us a nice recruiting boost and it doesn't look like that is going to happen.

Well from someone who knows (although I'd argue we're a weird case due to historical strangeness, and the Purdues and Minnesotas of the world are just as guilty), being able to ride on Michigan or Texas's coattails isn't that much better of a reason.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Spacebump posted:

The Gators could use some of those players.

Oh don't worry, we are focusing heavily on 5th tier players.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I'm coming up to Knoxville for the game this year. Show me a good bar that won't kill me for wearing red

The Downtown Brewery, Barleys, Preservation Pub, and Suttree's High Gravity Tavern are a few I visit a lot. They don't seem that douche (I have seen many opposing fans at the Downtown Brewery), and they are all around the downtown area. I would say stick to the Market Square and Gay Street area, and all should be good. Still all it takes is one rear end in a top hat fan to ruin your experience.

RumbleFish posted:

Gonna agree that while Tennessee has shown a lot of positive flashes, 2016 is the better bet for a breakout season. Their schedule this year is pretty tough, and I think a lot of pundits are getting ahead of themselves because of the bowl game (which is an easy trap to fall into for any team, of course). At some point, Butch Jones is going to have to get a signature win over a team that is not South Carolina.

As a Tennessee fan I have the same take. I think fans coming off the Iowa game have hyped themselves way too much in the off season. We barely made it to a bowl game, and our team is still pretty young. I am thinking more along 8 wins this season, and maybe compete for the SEC East in 2016. Also Jones does needs to get either a win over a rival (Florida or Bama ), or a good team like UGA or Oklahoma. If Jones goes again 6-6 this season (which is possible given the schedule), and is going for 8 wins next season, the natives might start to get restless.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Florida goons I might be visiting Gainesville soon. What would be a couple of places to check out while I am there? Probably won't be during football season. I am in my early 30s so not really looking for clubs or places where lots of undegrads only go per se.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Thoguh posted:

This is why I'm mad about all those schools using shitloads of subsidies to keep up with cost of attendance, coach pay, and all that other poo poo. P5 autonomy stuff doesn't help the lower tier power schools if all the other FBS schools use other funds to find a way to keep up.

"P5 autonomy stuff" wasn't supposed to help the lower tier power schools anyway

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jim Harbaugh sandbagged Colin Cowherd in a radio interview this morning, and intensely threw out a first pitch at the Tigers game last night.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
That Harbaugh interview is one of the most uncomfortable I've listened to.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Here is the Harbaugh interview:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2015/07/55358/jim-harbaugh-just-hilariously-bombed-an-interview-on-colin-cowherds-radio-show

Wow, this is awful.

Every answer is like pulling teeth or just a complete non-answer.

edit: hahahahahahahaha Cowherd basically hangs up on Harbaugh that was incredible

Ehud fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 1, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Being a dick to Cowherd is the most likable he's ever been.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

Being a dick to Cowherd is the most likable he's ever been.

I can't stand Cowherd, but Harbaugh's attitude was very off-putting. I wouldn't want to play for him. He's a psychotic dickhead who gets off on treating people poorly.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Jim Schwartz would have hosed him up tbqh

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Winced like five times in the first minute aaaaaaaa

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Korranus posted:

"P5 autonomy stuff" wasn't supposed to help the lower tier power schools anyway

Not directly. But when I first saw it I felt like the extra stuff - especially full cost of attendance scholarships - would provide a boost to the lower tier P5 schools who mainly recruit against the upper tier G5 schools.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ehud posted:

I can't stand Cowherd, but Harbaugh's attitude was very off-putting. I wouldn't want to play for him. He's a psychotic dickhead who gets off on treating people poorly.

Today, I found someone who is less effective at communication than Les Miles.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

That's true, but some reports I've read (could be BS, admittedly) say that he left the scene in their vehicle, and I'd be willing to bet that getting a ride with agents is a benefit. Either way, I think it is odd that Freeze announced in a press conference that charges had been filed against the step dad when they weren't actually filed until two days later. Really, I just think it is odd that a player who had a ton of controversy around his recruitment to the point where Mark Richt called shenanigans magically had his whole family relocated to Oxford, when it's known that they weren't exactly in financial position to just up and move there, from what I've heard.

I am a hardcore homer and I want them to be busted. I'd love for them to be without their best player this season.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Tennessee Nike uniforms were released today. You shouldn't care unless you are a Tennessee fan, but on the Smoky helmet they did something interesting (not sure how I feel about it, need to see in person).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nate fisher posted:

Tennessee Nike uniforms were released today. You shouldn't care unless you are a Tennessee fan, but on the Smoky helmet they did something interesting (not sure how I feel about it, need to see in person).

Helmet looks pretty cool from that photo / angle but yeah could look like poo poo on the field.

The helmet I mean.

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

Evidently, Harbaugh tweeted this out after the interview and deleted it soon after:

"Stay Classy Colin Cowherd. You are absolute and complete trash. Your kids would never play for me. #nointegrity #ColinCOWARD"

edit lol

Sir Plus fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 1, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Sir Plus posted:

Evidently, Harbaugh tweeted this out after the interview and deleted it soon after:

"Stay Classy Colin Cowherd. You are absolute and complete trash. Your kids would never play for me. #nointegrity #ColinCOWARD"

Harbaugh crying in his pillow tonight

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sir Plus posted:

Sounds like Cowherd won.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I don't think cutting the interview short after you refused to talk makes him a coward, Jim

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
a man in his 50s saying stay classy

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, Colin Cowherd is a subhuman garbage person.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
should have gone with Colin CowTURD imho

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Sounds like Harbaugh would get along great with Phyllis from Mulga.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Colin Cowherd and Jim Harbaugh are perfect for each other

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sir Plus posted:

edit lol

is this real

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Ehud posted:

is this real

I doubt it, he's not dumb, just a blowhard

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

That Works posted:

Florida goons I might be visiting Gainesville soon. What would be a couple of places to check out while I am there? Probably won't be during football season. I am in my early 30s so not really looking for clubs or places where lots of undegrads only go per se.

Go to Adam's Rib Co., its the best BBQ in town and Ballyhoo was my favorite local restaurant. You can visit The Swamp, it's usually open to the public during the day and while you are at The Swamp you can pray to the statue of Tim Tebow. Stubbie's was the best non-Undergrad bar IMO when I was there, but I think they might have closed. Check out the Butterfly Garden at the museum complex and then go to Lake Alice on UF's campus where you can see wild alligators. If you are in to snorkeling or Scuba you can check out Ginnie Springs about 20 minutes north of town. Welp, that's about it....

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I doubt it, he's not dumb, just a blowhard

did you miss the part of the interview where Cowherd asks him about reasonable expectations and then Harbaugh tries to define the phrase for him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don't listen to sports radio so I don't get why people don't like this Colin guy but Harbaugh was a real lovely interviewee and that was painful.

• Locked thread