Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

The 1/3 renown flyer is a fantastic limited card

White just seems pretty great in general for limited so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Image of this card.

This is actually a really cool card, especially with all the funky land ramp like that Nissa explosion card plus the fact that we have fetchlands.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 1, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

quote:

Anointer of Champions
Creature - Human Cleric (Uncommon)
W
1/1
T: Target attacking creature gets +1/+1 until end of turn

Would have been so bad to just put in Infantry Veteran?

Hell yeah.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
its a 5 mana card that requires more lands to be played to actually do anything at all

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Image of this card.

This is actually a really cool card, especially with all the funky land ramp like that Nissa explosion card plus the fact that we have fetchlands.

Green is getting a ton of big expensive casual cards this set. It's great.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Image of this card.

Friendly reminder that you can rip this out of your deck with Genesis Hydra, and that it's stupid with Fetchlands. :getin:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

its a 5 mana card that requires more lands to be played to actually do anything at all

Yeah, but it's in a color that encourages or even needs to put more lands in play. Debating whether or not this is good with Amulet Bloom (particularly if they feel like Hive Mind should be banned).

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Sickening posted:

Not really trying to nitpick but you went from playing up to 4 days a week not barely having time for magic. Which is it? :cmon:

he's never got any availability for the goon leagues so I'm pretty sure it's barely having time for Magic :v:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
where all the removal at

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bhsman posted:

Yeah, but it's in a color that encourages or even needs to put more lands in play. Debating whether or not this is good with Amulet Bloom (particularly if they feel like Hive Mind should be banned).

it's really bad with that deck because it doesn't automatically win the game when I play it

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Two more form the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibn5E82t77o where the others came from.

Somberwald alpha U Wolf 3g whenever a creature you control gets blocked it gets +1+1 until end of turn 1G target creature you control gets trample 3/2

Skysnare spider U GG4 6/6 vigilance reach

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Tonetta posted:

So does Nissa, but people seem to really like her.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Gyshall posted:

where all the removal at

Removal is against maro's new design strategy.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

it's really bad with that deck because it doesn't automatically win the game when I play it

Well, no, but I was thinking of matchups like Abzan where you just get excess value out of the card in a grindy matchup.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

making goyf chumpers sounds like a losing proposition to me

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Gyshall posted:

where all the removal at

Yeah this set has some amazing creatures so I hope there's enough removal to deal with that

Like that 6 drop serra spider jesus christ

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

making goyf chumpers sounds like a losing proposition to me

Maybe, but I'm just brainstorming. If you have two karoos (one in hand, one in play), this technically just continues to pump out chump blockers. It's unfortunately not a creature so it can't be tutored for via Pact, but I think it could have some sort of narrow use. If nothing else, it'll be a cheap uncommon to obtain.

Also, since I know you play Bloom on Twitch, what were your feelings on that 6-drop that tutors for a green 3-drop?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bhsman posted:

Maybe, but I'm just brainstorming. If you have two karoos (one in hand, one in play), this technically just continues to pump out chump blockers. It's unfortunately not a creature so it can't be tutored for via Pact, but I think it could have some sort of narrow use. If nothing else, it'll be a cheap uncommon to obtain.

Also, since I know you play Bloom on Twitch, what were your feelings on that 6-drop that tutors for a green 3-drop?

you actually only need one karoo, since it can bounce itself.

the 6 drop doesn't tutor for anything I want to play, or even can play.

my interest is in that xx artifact and I don't even know if that will be totally viable

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

you actually only need one karoo, since it can bounce itself.

the 6 drop doesn't tutor for anything I want to play, or even can play.

my interest is in that xx artifact and I don't even know if that will be totally viable

Ah, that's also true, re: Karoos.

I only mentioned the 6-drop because I know of some builds that use Eternal Witness and/or sideboard Restoration Sage, so I guess it seemed like interesting tech in the Abzan matchup or somesuch. As for the XX, I'm a little down on it; it can be tutor'd for via Tolaria West, but so can Pact, and that can find Hornet Queen. There also isn't a lot of situations where an opponent just allows you to sit there and durdle with it and make it bigger, and dumping so much mana into it still only makes it half as good. I'l grab an 'experimental one-of' but other than that, meh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

We still haven't seen anything from the 5 lands that are still unspoiled. I assume its not a rare-land cycle, but still, its weird they haven't shown us what it is. It has to be some kind of allied fixing though, right?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

We still haven't seen anything from the 5 lands that are still unspoiled. I assume its not a rare-land cycle, but still, its weird they haven't shown us what it is. It has to be some kind of allied fixing though, right?

Why is it weird?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sickening posted:

Why is it weird?

You usually see those way earlier in the set spoilers. I guess it could be like 5 variations on Evolving Wilds, I'm not expecting a Horizon Canopy cycle or something.

Sickening posted:

Removal is against maro's new design strategy.

My guess is that you haven't seen removal yet because its mostly reprints and they don't bother to spoil those very often (e.g. Pacifism, Arrest, Shock (or whatever))

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 1, 2015

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bhsman posted:

Ah, that's also true, re: Karoos.

I only mentioned the 6-drop because I know of some builds that use Eternal Witness and/or sideboard Restoration Sage, so I guess it seemed like interesting tech in the Abzan matchup or somesuch. As for the XX, I'm a little down on it; it can be tutor'd for via Tolaria West, but so can Pact, and that can find Hornet Queen. There also isn't a lot of situations where an opponent just allows you to sit there and durdle with it and make it bigger, and dumping so much mana into it still only makes it half as good. I'l grab an 'experimental one-of' but other than that, meh.

Yeah it could be argued that this particular combo is pretty good as a sideboard option but I don't really like the idea of using Restoration sage as it doesn't prevent you from losing at the speeds you need it to, and generally speaking you don't want to slow down a combo deck to put in cards that aren't going to stop you from losing.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Angry Grimace posted:

Do sets have two five rare land cycles? They already showed us the enemy pain lands.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Tonetta posted:

Yeah it could be argued that this particular combo is pretty good as a sideboard option but I don't really like the idea of using Restoration sage as it doesn't prevent you from losing at the speeds you need it to, and generally speaking you don't want to slow down a combo deck to put in cards that aren't going to stop you from losing.

Totally fair; I'm ~5 cards away from finishing the deck (been working on it since Justin Cohen and Sam Black showed it off at PTFR) and was just curious about an established pilot's take on these new cards, so thank you. :)

Also, I'm assuming you have the shirt that goes with the sweet avatar?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

End of Life Guy posted:

Do sets have two five rare land cycles? They already showed us the enemy pain lands.

Yes. ISD did.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lancelot posted:

Just use https://mtgowikiprice.com/ and see whatever's cheapest for the cards you want. If you just want trusted names, Cardhoarder is pretty good — they might not be the cheapest bots out there, but they have excellent customer service and one of the owners, Nat, is a pretty public face and is happy to chat about the business.

Thank you for the suggestions. :) Do you have a recommendation for bots that sell mass cards for 1 ticket? I found one last night that I got 642 cards from for 2 tickets. $2 to basically clean the bot out.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

bhsman posted:

Totally fair; I'm ~5 cards away from finishing the deck (been working on it since Justin Cohen and Sam Black showed it off at PTFR) and was just curious about an established pilot's take on these new cards, so thank you. :)

Also, I'm assuming you have the shirt that goes with the sweet avatar?

I do not. If you intend to play the deck, get ready to lose a lot. It's one of the most difficult decks to run optimally, even the best players make mistakes constantly.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Thank you for the suggestions. :) Do you have a recommendation for bots that sell mass cards for 1 ticket? I found one last night that I got 642 cards from for 2 tickets. $2 to basically clean the bot out.

I find the clanteam bots beat out the wiki prices on almost everything.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

It reminds me of updraft elemental from the last set. Playable, but I'd really only be happy to get it really late into a pack.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I said come in! posted:

There are free card bots that give 5 or 15 free older commons every day, unless what you're trying to do is amass the largest collection on modo and crash the servers, which i dont think that will be fast enough to do. Long term goals tho.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Roshambo posted:

It reminds me of updraft elemental from the last set. Playable, but I'd really only be happy to get it really late into a pack.

A 1/3 flier for 3 that turns into a 2/4 is way better than a flying horned turtle. It's comparable in power to just plain Wind Drake and that card is extremely playable.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

A 1/3 flier for 3 that turns into a 2/4 is way better than a flying horned turtle. It's comparable in power to just plain Wind Drake and that card is extremely playable.

I guess, but it's going to be turn 5 before it untaps and you can use it as a 2/4 flyer.

E: It's probably really good against thopters.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

There are free card bots that give 5 or 15 free older commons every day, unless what you're trying to do is amass the largest collection on modo and crash the servers, which i dont think that will be fast enough to do. Long term goals tho.

Yeah i'm just mass collecting cards, 4 of everything I don't already have. Back in the day I saw players with 12,000 - 15,000 cards. I wonder what some of the more hardcore players have now. I have no problem throwing down $1 to $3 for tickets to buy large quantities of cards. It's fun. :D

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Roshambo posted:

It's contextually way more powerful, because this set has a heavy 1/1 flier sub-theme. Even if you never connect with it in a lot of matchups it'll sit there holding off (or eating) tokens just fine.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Roshambo posted:

I guess, but it's going to be turn 5 before it untaps and you can use it as a 2/4 flyer.

It has extra value in this set because it can block thopters all day if it needs to and, based on the removal we have seen so far, 4 seems like the magic number for creature toughness so once it connects its insane

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I said come in! posted:

Yeah i'm just mass collecting cards, 4 of everything I don't already have. Back in the day I saw players with 12,000 - 15,000 cards. I wonder what some of the more hardcore players have now. I have no problem throwing down $1 to $3 for tickets to buy large quantities of cards. It's fun. :D

I bet someone in this thread has like 8+ playsets of some ROE common(s) from all the drafting they've done. :v:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really want to draft the Thopter deck.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Entropic posted:

get in line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Entropic posted:

Pauper thopter looks like it might be a fun deck for that format as well.

• Locked thread