Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Thanks for the feedback. It's reasurring to know she will probably come around.

I mean she did mellowed out for most of the day. Then she managed to slip out this evening for about half an hour. The good news is she came when she was called and I've gotten her back inside. The bad news is she's very comfortable being outside. Of course she's going to be an indoor only cat so breaking her of this will be a challenge.

I've ordered a reflective cat collar with a bell and I'm going to cat-proof the dog run (where she slipped out the unlocked double dog door) just in case she tries it again. For now she'll stay in our bedroom while we're at work and Josie's dog door will be locked when we're home.

It's been so long since we've adopted an adult pet with bad habits, I'd forgotten the patience it requires to correct. She's climbing on the counters, scratching on the couch, walking on our pillows when we're trying to sleep, pretty much all the things an untrained cat would do. I mean, of course she would try to sculpt her new home to her old routine. Oy Vey.

We've asked the shelter to give us another week with her before we decide but she is so sweet, I think it will be worth it in the long run. I just hope she doesn't make my hair fall out first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Just a small vent because I"m worried about my kitty. She's seen the vet and will go back to the vet again.

So flea-cat saw the vet on Monday. The cat was given Drontal and Capstar, and sent home with Advantage Multi to apply the next day. Fleas die off, cat is much happier, and doesn't even mind the Advantage Multi application on Tuesday.

Thursday night she only ate half her dinner. Friday she wouldn't eat breakfast or dinner, even when I warmed up her wet food. I went out and bought the cheapest cat food I could find, and she did eat some of that. She acted hungry, but just wouldn't eat.

Saturday morning we saw the vet again, who thinks the cat just got a overwhelmed by three meds at the same time. She didn't have a fever or jaundice and has close to normal energy levels. We got anti-nausea pills and an appetite stimulant. The vet thinks she'll be fine by Monday, and will call to see if we need to bring her in for further work-up.

I think we'll have to. She won't eat unless she's had the appetite stimulant, too. She ate about half a can of food on Saturday after getting both. Today she only got the anti-nausea pills, as the stimulants are every other day. She's had a few spoons of wet food, but is just not interested. Her energy levels are a little depressed today, but she hasn't been loafing like when she had pancreatitis, at least.

Poor kitty. She's ten, and I'm worried she's got kidney disease and has been hiding it until now.

Picture of cat for your troubles:

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
We adopted a 5-6 month old cat in February. Last weekend we adopted a 10 week old kitten, since we figured it would be a good companion for her when we are at work (we have a dog but she just ignores the cat). We tried to follow the guidelines about introducing new cats, though our place is not really big enough to have a dedicated room for the new kitten, so we just try and keep them occupied in different rooms. The first few days the cat would want nothing to do with the kitten, and would hiss whenever she would see her. She slowly started hissing less and less, and after a week she prefers chasing the kitten and kind of pinning her down and fighting. I assume that is them playing? I will break it up if it goes on too long, but I don't hear any hissing or cries of pain. However, the cats behavior has completely changed. She used to be super affectionate, sprinting to you for head boops and you would need to waddle down the hallway stepping over her with every step because she would sprint in front of you and then turn 90 degrees, trying to get you to stop and pet her. We also allowed her in our enclosed back yard, and since we have had her she has never tried to climb anything and would just lay around. Since we got the kitten the cat has not really been affectionate, it is hard to make her purr even after 5 minutes of brushing and petting, and we have seen her on top of the fence and on our next door neighbors shed about 3 feet away from our fence. She also does not sleep in the places where she used to spend all of her time laying around (various pet beds around the house), instead she will be in random spots like the corner near the front door. Is this normal for her learning to deal with a new cat, will she eventually be her old self again? We wonder if we can let her outside again, since she had never left our yard before and we have seen her trying to do it twice in the last week.

Also, here is a picture of the new home-wrecker, she looks like a Siamese mixed with a regular cat?.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 28, 2015

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Wish me luck, catthread. Mocha is still peeing outside the litterbox, the antibiotics don't seem to be helping. Tomorrow she goes for x-rays and urinalysis.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How long does it take for cats to stop fighting? Even with 2 feliway diffusers our older cat is STILL chasing and WHACKING (whap whap!) our 8 month old kitten, a few times a week. It's gotten worse recently I think because we have lots of air blowing through the house, but they mostly get along apart from a fight every day or three. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be deathmatch level but it's not pleasant. They do eat next to each other and stuff (yeah I know I post this question a lot, I'm just worried about my little cats)

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Our cat is perfectly healthy so all the peeing just means that she's a jerk.

... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, she had a really bad bladder infection last month - one that probably meant peeing = pain! So she's made bad associations with the litterbox, in all likelihood. We're going to try getting a second box for her and placing it elsewhere, see if we can't train her back into good litterbox habits.

She's got some low-level kidney issues - the same kind that most/all cats entering old age have, and maybe some small stones, but the vet can't do anything for those. The kidneystuff may make her pee more than normal, which could also be freaking her out.

All in all, we have a mostly healthy expensive jerk-cat.

Question time: Does anyone have recommendations for starting to use Feliway to dissuade peeing behaviour?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Seriously though, she had a really bad bladder infection last month - one that probably meant peeing = pain! So she's made bad associations with the litterbox, in all likelihood. We're going to try getting a second box for her and placing it elsewhere, see if we can't train her back into good litterbox habits.

She's got some low-level kidney issues - the same kind that most/all cats entering old age have, and maybe some small stones, but the vet can't do anything for those. The kidneystuff may make her pee more than normal, which could also be freaking her out.

Question time: Does anyone have recommendations for starting to use Feliway to dissuade peeing behaviour?

I dealt with this and it loving sucked.

We ended up getting a new litter box and placing it far away from the old one. She would kick up litter and piss on it outside the box for a while. We also plugged in Feliway diffusers throughout the house.

Being diligent about cleaning the pee outside the new box helped and she eventually went back to normal. After a solid two months or so of her not pissing on our laundry we got rid of the second box and she was fine. I don't think the Feliway did anything; I think it just took her a while to stop associating the litter box with pain.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I used to it dissuade aggression but for some reason, in a house with four cats, it only worked on the male. It worked so well I thought he was dead; I literally shook him for five horrifying seconds until he opened up one eye and drooled on me. He was fine, it just worked too well.

In my experience in regards to "I peed once and it hurt so now I piss in the laundry", it's super easy to train them back into getting to use the box. They have short memories. The Feliway might make the process quicker, but in my experience what works well is: Brand new litter box, completely new area of the house. I even switched litter brands, and also removed any sort of clothing from the floor that she started to associate with going pee on.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

redreader posted:

How long does it take for cats to stop fighting? Even with 2 feliway diffusers our older cat is STILL chasing and WHACKING (whap whap!) our 8 month old kitten, a few times a week. It's gotten worse recently I think because we have lots of air blowing through the house, but they mostly get along apart from a fight every day or three. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be deathmatch level but it's not pleasant. They do eat next to each other and stuff (yeah I know I post this question a lot, I'm just worried about my little cats)

They may never stop. I adopted my cats as kittens within a month of each other and one of them still attacks the other on a daily basis. It's not quite play fighting but he is not trying to kill him and is just an rear end in a top hat. This is regardless of feliway.

Our solution apart from learning to deal with it was to get a dog, who now runs to the cats when one attacks the other and very agitatedly separates them and sits between them to make Very Sure the bad cat can't hit the dumb cat.

E: this backfires slightly because when he's crated at night and the cats are fighting he just starts screaming to be let out.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Came home to one of the cats hiding in the corner furthest from the one open window we have. Turns out there were town fireworks tonight.

Now he wont eat. Sigh. Cats... time to get another diffuser

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

darkforce898 posted:

Came home to one of the cats hiding in the corner furthest from the one open window we have. Turns out there were town fireworks tonight.

Now he wont eat. Sigh. Cats... time to get another diffuser

:allears: Canadian, are we?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yesterday my boyfriend and I brought a new cat home. Introductions to our other cat have been going well (a little hissing from our new girl, but our 6-year-old dude has been a perfect gentleman), but a new problem arose tonight. Rosemary, our new kitty, is a medium/long-hair with a lot of fluff, and that fluff is leading to butt hygiene problems. Tonight we got to attempt to cut some crap out of her butt fur, which was exactly as much "fun" as it sounds, and we've already caught her butt-dragging to try and clean herself off. She's a very sweet cat, but this is a bad situation for us and for her.

To echo the old thread title: what can we do to get our cat to clean her butt better? She's still pretty young, about 14 months old: will she get better at hygiene as she ages, or is this a long-term problem for cats with longer fur? (Neither of us have owned a long-haired cat before.) Should we be getting her butt fur groomed regularly?

As penance for asking a butt-hygiene question, here are some photos of Rosemary exploring our place:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Antivehicular posted:

Yesterday my boyfriend and I brought a new cat home. Introductions to our other cat have been going well (a little hissing from our new girl, but our 6-year-old dude has been a perfect gentleman), but a new problem arose tonight. Rosemary, our new kitty, is a medium/long-hair with a lot of fluff, and that fluff is leading to butt hygiene problems. Tonight we got to attempt to cut some crap out of her butt fur, which was exactly as much "fun" as it sounds, and we've already caught her butt-dragging to try and clean herself off. She's a very sweet cat, but this is a bad situation for us and for her.

To echo the old thread title: what can we do to get our cat to clean her butt better? She's still pretty young, about 14 months old: will she get better at hygiene as she ages, or is this a long-term problem for cats with longer fur? (Neither of us have owned a long-haired cat before.) Should we be getting her butt fur groomed regularly?

As penance for asking a butt-hygiene question, here are some photos of Rosemary exploring our place:

It's pretty much what you're thinking; the "hygienic cut" is cutting the fur around the butt to avoid this very problem.

Seeing as it's summer, gently caress it; you should go for the lion or dragon cut :black101:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Depends on the length and type of the butt fur and how fastidious the cat is. I've got two medium length furred cats. One's pretty clean, but the other has a really fluffy butt so occasionally a poop nugget will stick to his butt and he'll drop it off somewhere around the house for me to find. With my feet. This culminated in him getting a whole load of poops getting stuck around his buttfur and let me tell you it was traumatic for everyone involved.

After that I used an old electric trimmer to shorten the fur around his butthole and do it every few months.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
Grab cat, trim rear end fluff. Too early to tell if it's a short term thing or if you're stuck with a poop butt cat for good. Hugo occasionally gets crap stuck to his rear end but its not a common occurrence.

Long haired dog on the other hand. Dang. He gets a 'sanitary trim' right down the back or he shits his dacks with alarming regularity.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

cash crab posted:

:allears: Canadian, are we?

Nope. Most towns in my area do town fireworks this time of year. Ours is less than a mile away so it gets loud inside the house.

If he wasn't so scared it would be cute. He now thinks the window is an angry animal and tries to sneak up on it and attack it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I agree with the trimming. Also, occasionally wipe the area with a damp paper towel; I did this with one of the girls and she eventually picked up on how to do it herself (that or she was sick of me doing it).

darkforce898 posted:

Nope. Most towns in my area do town fireworks this time of year. Ours is less than a mile away so it gets loud inside the house.

If he wasn't so scared it would be cute. He now thinks the window is an angry animal and tries to sneak up on it and attack it.

Oh, weird. Some people let off early Canada Day fireworks here, and our cat hid under the couch all night. It was super sad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stultus Maximus posted:

Cat health question here:

Female cat, 8 years old. Displaying signs of a urinary tract problem. Started noticing her urinating outside the litter box and frequently straining in the litter box. Urine is produced, but not large amounts. I know that "better safe than sorry" is the usual rule with cats and peeing, but she really really does not like the vet. Like, any exam requires an assistant and heavy leather gloves. Should I wait to see if this clears up or just deal with the ball of fury ASAP?

Her mood and personality are not changed, i.e. she is not acting ill or in distress. Just frequent trips to the litter box (and then the corner, and then another corner) with very small amounts of urine produced.

After I posted this, the symptoms seemed to clear up so I let it be. Two weeks later, they returned so I took her in. No stones were indicated by X-ray, so the vet assumed infection (bladder wasn't full enough to get a urine sample) and gave a course of antibiotics. Seemed to clear up again, then two weeks later (this week, that is) the symptoms returned again. I don't know what to do. If it isn't infection or a stone, what can I do about it other than keep cleaning carpet corners and giving her comforting scratches?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

cash crab posted:

I agree with the trimming. Also, occasionally wipe the area with a damp paper towel; I did this with one of the girls and she eventually picked up on how to do it herself (that or she was sick of me doing it).
Thankfully, she's definitely trying to clean herself; I think the fur is an impediment, but she definitely has the "clean your dang butt" instinct somewhere in there, although right now it seems to be overwhelmed by "hey, you should go sniff this novel object or go trill until you figure out where the humans are!" We'll still probably be doing this when she needs it, though, because ew, stank-cat.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Thankfully, she's definitely trying to clean herself; I think the fur is an impediment, but she definitely has the "clean your dang butt" instinct somewhere in there, although right now it seems to be overwhelmed by "hey, you should go sniff this novel object or go trill until you figure out where the humans are!" We'll still probably be doing this when she needs it, though, because ew, stank-cat.

When Hugo was especially bad and had diarrhoea we used to refer to it as the Brown Stamp Effect because shortly he was leaving little brown butt stamps over everything we cherished.

Good luck with buttcat!

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Does anybody else's cat immediately use the box after you clean it? It's like he waits until I'm done clearing it that he darts into it and watches me while he pisses all over the clean space. Dick.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Blimpkin posted:

Does anybody else's cat immediately use the box after you clean it? It's like he waits until I'm done clearing it that he darts into it and watches me while he pisses all over the clean space. Dick.

One of the first times I emptied out my kittens' litterbox to change the litter, I emptied it out and turned away to tie up the binbag I'd poured the dirty litter into. When I turned back, Cinnamon was sitting in the empty box looking very confused, peeing onto the bare plastic and subsequently her paws. Then she skittered away and left a little trail of pee-prints across the floor.

Since then she's always waited for me to finish loving around with the box before she uses it.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I'm probably going to get the Feliway... it's either that or putting her and the litterbox in a carpetless room while we're gone for the day. :P

Do I spray where she's peed on the floor, or do I spray the litterbox area to calm her down while she's there? We don't have convenient outlets for the diffuser.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Blimpkin posted:

Yes. Two of our three cats do it. In fact one likes to poo in one box and piss in another box.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

After I posted this, the symptoms seemed to clear up so I let it be. Two weeks later, they returned so I took her in. No stones were indicated by X-ray, so the vet assumed infection (bladder wasn't full enough to get a urine sample) and gave a course of antibiotics. Seemed to clear up again, then two weeks later (this week, that is) the symptoms returned again. I don't know what to do. If it isn't infection or a stone, what can I do about it other than keep cleaning carpet corners and giving her comforting scratches?

Could be urine crystals. Did your vet do a urinalysis?

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My litter box is next to the toilet, so my cat likes to use her box while I'm on the toilet. I pet her while she's using it. It's a weird, gross bonding experience.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

redreader posted:

Yes. Two of our three cats do it. In fact one likes to poo in one box and piss in another box.

At my shelter we have some communal cat rooms with multiple boxes and most of them do this. I'll scoop one box with 90% poo and another with one lonely turd and the rest pee.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Zaftig posted:

My litter box is next to the toilet, so my cat likes to use her box while I'm on the toilet. I pet her while she's using it. It's a weird, gross bonding experience.

If it helps any, the cat probably doesn't think it's gross.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Zaftig posted:

My old cat, Igor, used to insist on peeing while someone else was in the bathroom, and eventually, when other cats were trying to use the litterbox. I don't know if it was :3: or if he was an rear end in a top hat.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Quick question - I just got back from the feed store with a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Formula kibble, which I was excited to see on the shelves (Nature's Variety Instinct is listed as one of the top dry foods over in the Pet Nutrition Thread). However, now that I've got it home, I notice that they apparently coat some of the pieces in freeze-dried raw food, which I'm taking to mean there's a dusting of raw chicken on some of this stuff...

So: Does anyone have any opinions about this? I don't really want my home covered in salmonella. I'm kinda terrified to mix the kibble in with water like I was doing with Blue Bison Wilderness (it's a serving suggestion on that kibble's package, and it made me feel better concerning my cats' hydration, so I wish I could still do it :( ), but I'm also just leery about this whole freeze-dried chicken dust thing in general. :tinfoil:

Also, since this is my first cat post here, have a picture or two of my cats, Mischief (tiny, thumbs) and Monte (big, fluffy tail):

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Those pictures show only one cat

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Blimpkin posted:

Yes. My last cat, Prudence (R. I. P.), convinced me that cats have a spare colon because she always pooped right after I cleaned out her litterbox. There were times I considered immediately scooping out that package but I was afraid she would get cat 'roids trying to make another sand kitten right away.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Those pictures show only one cat

They've only recently begun doing kitten piles like that second shot :3:

I was worried they'd never quite get to that level of comfort with each other. In the first shot, you can see Monte looks a little more in shock in the background - It was taken about two weeks after I'd brought Mischief home from the shelter, and Monte still wasn't really back on petting terms with me...

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jul 2, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Oh good goons of Pet Island, I have a problem and I need your help:

We have a bit of an interesting situation here- I'll introduce the players.

This is Isaac.

Isaac is about 8.5 months old male (desexed) who we're pretty sure is comprised of pure weapons grade apathy and indiference. Hes not phased by ANYTHING- New people, new things, baths, nails being trimmed, medication, dogs, other cats, fireworks ANYTHING. When we brought him home he lasted about 20 minutes in the ensuite before he almost bashed the door down to go explore the house and claim it as his. Super chill, Super awesome cat. Unfortunately he turned up at the shelter as a 12 week old kitten and was put with his buddy Polo, and they grew up together. We would have taken polo but during the introductions Polo was hiding in the back of the meeting room and wanted nothing to do with us. He cried for three days after Isaac left and then was promptly adopted. Hes currently best buddies with

Oskar:

Oskar is my parents long haired Mini Dachshund, and the most fearsome dog you'll ever meet.. as you can see in the photo. Ha. This dogs the most mild mannered dog going, never snaps at anyone, loves everyone, Only a real threat if your a rabbit. He's currently staying with us for 10 days while my parents are off on holidays and as a bit of a test as we want to get our own Dachshund pup eventually once our fences actually get built. Oskar and Isaac get along amazingly well, Isaac grooms oskar, oskar lies with him to keep him warm- the only time we've had any issue at all was when Isaac though oskars tail hair was a good toy and bit it, but a bit of a growl from oskar stopped that well.

We noticed that Isaac was suffering a bit of boredom and lonelyness whenever we werent home (room mate said he just sat in his box and cried all morning one day because he thought he was alone in the house) and we since Oskar only visits and doesnt live here we decided to get Isaac a friend again after separating him from Polo at the shelter.

Enter Smudge...

Smudge is a 7.5m old desexed female shelter cat. Dont know much of her history apart from she was desexed at 12 weeks old and is being treated with ointment for Conjunctivitis. This is smudge in her default mode. We got her last saturday, its currently Thursday evening and shes only really left the crate to go use the litter box, drink some water and eat some kibble. You can sort of bribe her out with tuna, but only if its within 4" of the box.

The introduction into the house went well- we didnt have Oskar at the time so we put her in the Ensuite and locked out Isaac. Within an hr or so she was bashing one side of the door to get out and meet Isaac and Isaac was bashing his way in to meet her. Her treatment of the Conjunctivitis has been easy- it was a Kitty Burito job first up (and we trimmed her claws over a few sessions while we were at it because i dont need ANY more scars) but shes been handling her morning and night treatments without a burito since the 2nd day.

Set up some supervised meets and they went really really well, few tumbles and hisses and neck bitings to get the order of power sorted out buy by 24hrs later we had a kitten pile- Going well we thought.

Since then we've discovered that Smudge is terrified of EVERYTHING. Oskar came to stay and there was hissing and tail fluffing from Smudge as oskar just LOOKED at her from across the room, didnt even move towards her and during this display i accidently bumped her bum as i stepped over her and she was so worked up and fearful she attacked ME- as in full blown cornered feral cat assault on my foot, Heaved her away to save my poor foot and She came back to have another go at me

We've worked out that shes scared of Men, the Da Bird (cos it went whistling over her head after Isaac smacked it in her direction- that was a full blown hiss+ fluffy tail + running away reaction there) Dogs (even the sound of him walking on the hardwood floors BEHIND A CLOSED DOOR) The washing machine, the dishwasher, Anything outside of our bedroom, the housemate, The sound of the shower and a myriad of other things edit: you can add the click of a phone cover closing to the list.... She gets so terrified of things shes even shat (on a towel thank god) herself on our bed just sitting between our partner and I getting an ear scritch.

We're kind of out of ideas- We've bought a feliway diffuser and are using that- we thought we had maybe pushed the introduction stage too hard so we put her in box in the laundry with her blanket from the shelter, litter tray, food and water and the Feliway and left her be for about 30hrs.

She didnt leave the box. just sat hunched up in fear in the corner of it the entire time. Its as if she thought it was a punishment. We brought her back to the bedroom (again with the Feliway which has made Isaac more relaxed than a Jamaican in a weed crop) and she improved slightly, but were still getting random freakouts and shes still not even coming close to actually starting to settle down at all. Since then its been about 3 days of her being jammed into a box and not wanting to leave.

Shes also hiding in the litterbox, the dirty litterbox, which for a creature so obsessed with cleanliness is really wierd.

Im out of ideas, my partner is out of ideas and we're begining to think that this cat just isnt for our household- we've got the most unflapable cat in the world in Isaac, but even hes starting to get sick of her poo poo and ignore her instead of being best buddies.

We're going to ring the shelter tomorrow and ask what could be up, but we're begining to think that we might have to take her back because if she cant even stand the SOUND of a dog walking (Oskar has NEVER shown any aggression to the cats other than the light growl of "Stop biting my tail you dickhead" towards Isaac) then she isnt going to survive the experience of us getting a puppy. Even if we drop Oskar off at my parents place for the day she doesnt improve at all.

We dont want to send her back because shes so beautiful, but its got to the stage where neither of us are actually enjoying coming home to the trio because we're walking on eggshells trying not to upset her and its so disheartening to try everything to socialise with her for no gain. She shows SOME warmth towards my better half, SOME of the time, but its only because shes practically climbing into the pet pack with her.

So PI, do I just have a really broken cat with sadbrains that is totally incompatible with my house and life style or am I doing something wrong? The shelter has a 14 day return policy if things dont work out.

Ferremit fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 2, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Arriviste posted:

Yes. My last cat, Prudence (R. I. P.), convinced me that cats have a spare colon because she always pooped right after I cleaned out her litterbox. There were times I considered immediately scooping out that package but I was afraid she would get cat 'roids trying to make another sand kitten right away.

I've got into the habit of not tying up the poo bag after I scoop Tali's litter box because she, without fail, has to make a pee after I scoop her litter box. For her, though, it seems like it's a on-time deal because she doesn't go back after I scoop that pee up. I've tried it with poo a couple of times and she hasn't gone back for that, but I have less evidence.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Alehkhs posted:

Quick question - I just got back from the feed store with a bag of Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken Meal Formula kibble, which I was excited to see on the shelves (Nature's Variety Instinct is listed as one of the top dry foods over in the Pet Nutrition Thread). However, now that I've got it home, I notice that they apparently coat some of the pieces in freeze-dried raw food, which I'm taking to mean there's a dusting of raw chicken on some of this stuff...

So: Does anyone have any opinions about this? I don't really want my home covered in salmonella. I'm kinda terrified to mix the kibble in with water like I was doing with Blue Bison Wilderness (it's a serving suggestion on that kibble's package, and it made me feel better concerning my cats' hydration, so I wish I could still do it :( ), but I'm also just leery about this whole freeze-dried chicken dust thing in general. :tinfoil:

I feed my cats this and they/I love it. I like the one with the freeze dried bites instead of the coating, just because that's their favorite part. They always pick out the raw bits first.

IMO the best way to keep cats hydrated is to have a lot of water bowls in a lot of different places. They tend to not prefer a water bowl directly beside the food one. I supplement with wet food (NV instinct) too.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Tesla is one cat that loves drinking water. Probably because we give him day old leftover bottles of water instead of tap but that fucker will come running to drink water when I give him some and he's always draining the bowl regularly.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

This link needs to be in the OP of this thread and every thread that ever has anything to do with cats, because this link is the best.

http://imgur.com/a/XBJM8

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ferremit posted:

Oh good goons of Pet Island, I have a problem and I need your help:

We have a bit of an interesting situation here- I'll introduce the players.

This is Isaac.

Isaac is about 8.5 months old male (desexed) who we're pretty sure is comprised of pure weapons grade apathy and indiference. Hes not phased by ANYTHING- New people, new things, baths, nails being trimmed, medication, dogs, other cats, fireworks ANYTHING. When we brought him home he lasted about 20 minutes in the ensuite before he almost bashed the door down to go explore the house and claim it as his. Super chill, Super awesome cat. Unfortunately he turned up at the shelter as a 12 week old kitten and was put with his buddy Polo, and they grew up together. We would have taken polo but during the introductions Polo was hiding in the back of the meeting room and wanted nothing to do with us. He cried for three days after Isaac left and then was promptly adopted. Hes currently best buddies with

Oskar:

Oskar is my parents long haired Mini Dachshund, and the most fearsome dog you'll ever meet.. as you can see in the photo. Ha. This dogs the most mild mannered dog going, never snaps at anyone, loves everyone, Only a real threat if your a rabbit. He's currently staying with us for 10 days while my parents are off on holidays and as a bit of a test as we want to get our own Dachshund pup eventually once our fences actually get built. Oskar and Isaac get along amazingly well, Isaac grooms oskar, oskar lies with him to keep him warm- the only time we've had any issue at all was when Isaac though oskars tail hair was a good toy and bit it, but a bit of a growl from oskar stopped that well.

We noticed that Isaac was suffering a bit of boredom and lonelyness whenever we werent home (room mate said he just sat in his box and cried all morning one day because he thought he was alone in the house) and we since Oskar only visits and doesnt live here we decided to get Isaac a friend again after separating him from Polo at the shelter.

Enter Smudge...

Smudge is a 7.5m old desexed female shelter cat. Dont know much of her history apart from she was desexed at 12 weeks old and is being treated with ointment for Conjunctivitis. This is smudge in her default mode. We got her last saturday, its currently Thursday evening and shes only really left the crate to go use the litter box, drink some water and eat some kibble. You can sort of bribe her out with tuna, but only if its within 4" of the box.

The introduction into the house went well- we didnt have Oskar at the time so we put her in the Ensuite and locked out Isaac. Within an hr or so she was bashing one side of the door to get out and meet Isaac and Isaac was bashing his way in to meet her. Her treatment of the Conjunctivitis has been easy- it was a Kitty Burito job first up (and we trimmed her claws over a few sessions while we were at it because i dont need ANY more scars) but shes been handling her morning and night treatments without a burito since the 2nd day.

Set up some supervised meets and they went really really well, few tumbles and hisses and neck bitings to get the order of power sorted out buy by 24hrs later we had a kitten pile- Going well we thought.

Since then we've discovered that Smudge is terrified of EVERYTHING. Oskar came to stay and there was hissing and tail fluffing from Smudge as oskar just LOOKED at her from across the room, didnt even move towards her and during this display i accidently bumped her bum as i stepped over her and she was so worked up and fearful she attacked ME- as in full blown cornered feral cat assault on my foot, Heaved her away to save my poor foot and She came back to have another go at me

We've worked out that shes scared of Men, the Da Bird (cos it went whistling over her head after Isaac smacked it in her direction- that was a full blown hiss+ fluffy tail + running away reaction there) Dogs (even the sound of him walking on the hardwood floors BEHIND A CLOSED DOOR) The washing machine, the dishwasher, Anything outside of our bedroom, the housemate, The sound of the shower and a myriad of other things. She gets so terrified of things shes even shat (on a towel thank god) herself on our bed just sitting between our partner and I getting an ear scritch.

We're kind of out of ideas- We've bought a feliway diffuser and are using that- we thought we had maybe pushed the introduction stage too hard so we put her in box in the laundry with her blanket from the shelter, litter tray, food and water and the Feliway and left her be for about 30hrs.

She didnt leave the box. just sat hunched up in fear in the corner of it the entire time. Its as if she thought it was a punishment. We brought her back to the bedroom (again with the Feliway which has made Isaac more relaxed than a Jamaican in a weed crop) and she improved slightly, but were still getting random freakouts and shes still not even coming close to actually starting to settle down at all. Since then its been about 3 days of her being jammed into a box and not wanting to leave.

Shes also hiding in the litterbox, the dirty litterbox, which for a creature so obsessed with cleanliness is really wierd.

Im out of ideas, my partner is out of ideas and we're begining to think that this cat just isnt for our household- we've got the most unflapable cat in the world in Isaac, but even hes starting to get sick of her poo poo and ignore her instead of being best buddies.

We're going to ring the shelter tomorrow and ask what could be up, but we're begining to think that we might have to take her back because if she cant even stand the SOUND of a dog walking (Oskar has NEVER shown any aggression to the cats other than the light growl of "Stop biting my tail you dickhead" towards Isaac) then she isnt going to survive the experience of us getting a puppy. Even if we drop Oskar off at my parents place for the day she doesnt improve at all.

We dont want to send her back because shes so beautiful, but its got to the stage where neither of us are actually enjoying coming home to the trio because we're walking on eggshells trying not to upset her and its so disheartening to try everything to socialise with her for no gain. She shows SOME warmth towards my better half, SOME of the time, but its only because shes practically climbing into the pet pack with her.

So PI, do I just have a really broken cat with sadbrains that is totally incompatible with my house and life style or am I doing something wrong? The shelter has a 14 day return policy if things dont work out.

It can take a few months for a cat to relax in a new environment. You're probably stressing her out by moving her around and forcing contact with her. Create a safe space for the cat where she can go when she needs to, but don't force her. Let her come to you if she wants affection. You don't have to "walk on eggshells" for the sake of the cat, just let her be.

The only real troubling part is that she attacked you - I don't have any experience with that and maybe someone else can chime in about that. But the hiding, fearfulness, sitting in the litter box, even making GBS threads in the wrong place - all of that happened when I adopted my cat. He also didn't groom himself for a couple weeks and I was worried I'd have to bathe him regularly. It took about 3 or 4 months for him to really relax and be himself with incremental improvements.

I'm not a fan of returning adult cats to shelters unless absolutely necessary because there are so many that need a home and they're so easy to take care of. If she keeps attacking you or starts attacking your pets, maybe you won't have a choice. But if she's standoffish and skittish, she's still way better off with you than at the shelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have a problem with my cat peeing in a specific corner.

He started doing it a few weeks ago, and he was then diagnosed with diabetes. We changed his diet and gave him half a unit of insulin every twelve hours, and gave him oral orbifloxacin everyday for a possible bladder infection. A week ago when they did a glucose curve and said we can try stopping the insulin. We did, and after the visit from the vet today, his blood sugar looks good. However, he had peed in the same corner a couple times during that week.

We have a plastic tray that we put shoes in from the winter, so at first it seemed to like going in there, but today he went on the carpet next to it.

The litter boxes are right next to each other. We have two cats who have been living together for all their lives. Our female cat does not like male, and I can't rally read how he feels about her. Still, putting the litter boxes anywhere else isn't an option.
I haven't seen any change in their reactions to eachoter, their general mood around the house, or any other behavior changes besides the peeing. The male cat has always liked people and still seems to, and the female just likes me and my sister.
They've shared a litter box most of their lives and had food in the same room, which I know is bad, so I got a new one a while back, but they're still right next to each other. They've taken to the new box, and they seem to prefer it now to the old one, but i guess since they both like it that doesn't help any tensions. I sometimes find that they haven't buried their poop, but I don't know whose it is.

Anyway, I am a loser who lives at my Dad's house, so options are a bit limited. He has thrown a small fit at the suggestion of putting a litter box anywhere other than the room on the basement they're in now. Since he went outside the shoe thing that it was suggested he might have taken to a second box, I don't know about the suggestion of removing it. The vet suggested Feliway, but after the non-specific threats thrown around at the discovery of today's urine, I don't think Dad would like the idea of more cat pheromones sprayed in the house.

The vet also suggested getting a urine culture done so we can try a different antibiotic in case the bladder infection wasn't cleared up, and I told him I'd think about it because money's tight for me.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 3, 2015