Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Munin posted:

I really like the CSB videos and it is sad to hear that it is apparently mired in a sea of underfunding, overwork and mismanagement:
http://www.publicintegrity.org/2015/03/27/16997/chairman-grossly-mismanaged-chemical-safety-board-resigns
http://www.publicintegrity.org/2013/04/17/12498/critics-press-action-chemical-safety-board-investigations-languish

Reading that second article it does seem to me that mismanagement is only a part of the problem with funding issues and pushback from industry and other organisations in that area also making their work almost sisyphean. I was kinda wondering how an organisation publishing hard hitting reconstructions like that and calling for more federal regulation of industry could keep pushing that kind of radical message in the US without getting neutered.

An underfunded safety organization in the USA? Say it ain't so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
They make great informative and interesting safety videos though :smith: and the dude even spoke a few times in them.

Also as the years passes eg. him in a video from 2010 vs another video in 2014, you can kinda tell that he is becoming more and more angry and helpless at similar things blowing up or happening over and over again.

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 30, 2015

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

An underfunded safety organization in the USA? Say it ain't so.

Show me an agency that doesnt say theyre underfunded.

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Annie don't fall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELkEY65k9wE

crash_lander
Nov 3, 2011
100% osha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9jwopPNzH0

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I feel am overwhelming need to find some of these guys and challenge them to a game of jenga. Easy pickings.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

Man falls on nipple, inflates like balloon through buttocks

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So who else made the same conclusion about the yapping dog at 7:35?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
So how many people did I just see die?

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Lurking Haro posted:

So who else made the same conclusion about the yapping dog at 7:35?

"It was totally worth it" -- construction dude.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Ninja Warrior's newest spinoff: Blue Collar Knights.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DaNzA posted:

They make great informative and interesting safety videos though :smith: and the dude even spoke a few times in them.

Also as the years passes eg. him in a video from 2010 vs another video in 2014, you can kinda tell that he is becoming more and more angry and helpless at similar things blowing up or happening over and over again.

As long as their CGI reconstruction budget is unharmed

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darth Freddy posted:

So how many people did I just see die?

The Nederlands guy has always been very careful not to include snuff in his compilations.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Yup. Twisted Nederland and Fail Army are my go to 'safe' compilations for fails and the like. Neither include videos of death or even significant visible injuries (like backward facing broken legs, protruding bones, or split open heads).

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Poizen Jam posted:

Yup. Twisted Nederland and Fail Army are my go to 'safe' compilations for fails and the like. Neither include videos of death or even significant visible injuries (like backward facing broken legs, protruding bones, or split open heads).

I'm sure the clips that showed a building, with clear constructions sounds coming from within, collapsing did not kill anybody. Or that crane operating that fell about 10 stories. Dude in the cab is probably alright.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Three-Phase posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YcT74h5Mg

Pleasure riding (horse with cart thing) class goes extremely wrong. Lots of nasty near-misses, and a few bad collisions. I especially like the guy who jumps in front of the horse trying to stop/catch it. (The horse wins - and my understanding is the man is lucky to be alive.)

I'm no expert, but horse is completely panicked and these guys continue to leap at instead of all getting out of the ring (or moving to the center) and letting the thing calm down. Plus the person in charge doesn't issue any commands to the participants until things are pretty much out of control.

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=X_DVS_303kQ&start1=&video2=03YcT74h5Mg&start2

I thought this would be funny but it got progressively darker

padijun fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 30, 2015

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I understand not wanting this to turn into Ogrish.com:The Thread but who cares if a video gets posted of an accident where they may have been a fatality that you can't see.

The whole point of this thread is that if you don't act in a safe manner and follow the rules, bad things will happen.

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

FCKGW posted:

It was held at a water park which probably helped, everyone headed for the nearest pool as quickly as they could.

A fire at a sea park ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy_BKKnHgas

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

This was basically all I could think of.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

http://www.ft.com/intl/fastft/353721

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

How has she not seen terminator I mean seriously. Surely someone else would have made the same joke before.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

How has she not seen terminator I mean seriously. Surely someone else would have made the same joke before.

Maybe she didn't realize she was missing a joke until twitter did it a few hundred times?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Surely someone else would have made the same joke before.

It's possible she works in some job that involves "social interaction" or "being outside", thus avoiding having any coworkers who would chortle about her name while explaining why it's funny at length.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I don't think it really matters too much where you work or live. You're still going to get chucklefucks making "clever" comments if you have a famous name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BaMx_n2_hM

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

I've never seen it, or any of the sequels :shrug: It took all the comments here for me to click that it was a Terminator reference.

Someone stole the first aid kit from the factory floor where I work. They were decent enough to take everything and not just leave the empty box in the same place, I guess?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drop ceilings. They separate the professionals from the amateurs. Because professionals don't loving crawl around up there.

Professionals use pull rods, fish tape, or my personal favorite:

The Cablecaster.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Lol

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Pyrotoad posted:

Someone stole the first aid kit from the factory floor where I work. They were decent enough to take everything and not just leave the empty box in the same place, I guess?

I was the head of the safety committee at my last job and constantly had to deal with employees just grabbing handfuls of band-aids and other first aid items to take home.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

FIRST TIME posted:

I was the head of the safety committee at my last job and constantly had to deal with employees just grabbing handfuls of band-aids and other first aid items to take home.

Well, they're loosing blood, obviously.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

FIRST TIME posted:

Are you going to be the guy who restricts access to First Aid?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
$7 shotgun

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FIRST TIME posted:

Should have put a lock on it and held the only key. That would have solved your problem!

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

flosofl posted:

Drop ceilings. They separate the professionals from the amateurs. Because professionals don't loving crawl around up there.

Professionals use pull rods, fish tape, or my personal favorite:

The Cablecaster.

Many years ago I worked Loss Prevention for a department store chain. We needed to move some cameras to new locations, which required pulling cable. Guy I worked with bought one of these:

We put a small eyebolt in a tennis ball and cable-tied an old fishing reel to the "ball holder" section. Worked pretty good, although we did knock a couple fluorescent tubes out their fixtures (luckily we did the work after hours, so no one got hurt).

I recently saw some alarm installers using one of these to pull cable:

And now I want one - I don't pull cable anymore, but I still want one.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Besides all what's wrong with this structurally, getting your fingers in front of the barrel while shooting it is what comes to my mind first.

-e-
At least put a sleeve or something on the business end to keep your fingers from slipping.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lurking Haro posted:

Besides all what's wrong with this structurally, getting your fingers in front of the barrel while shooting it is what comes to my mind first.

Structurally it's probably not bad, actually. Shotguns have a reputation for massive power, but that's just because of the sheer weight of lead being thrown into the air. Shotgun shells operate at quite low pressures, which is why you can safely use inexpensive steel tubing to make an improvised barrel. To give a comparison, SAAMI standard for 10 gauge shotguns (which are generally considered overkill for most purposes) is 11,000 PSI maximum average pressure. For .45 ACP handguns, they're designed to handle up to 21,000 PSI. 9x19mm Parabellum is 31,000 PSI. Even .22 Long Rifle has a maximum operating pressure of I think 24,000 PSI.

Those kinds of shotguns are super common, especially in areas with restricted legal gun ownership like Southeast Asia. They were called "Four Winds" shotguns in the Philippines.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

chitoryu12 posted:

Structurally it's probably not bad, actually. Shotguns have a reputation for massive power, but that's just because of the sheer weight of lead being thrown into the air. Shotgun shells operate at quite low pressures, which is why you can safely use inexpensive steel tubing to make an improvised barrel. To give a comparison, SAAMI standard for 10 gauge shotguns (which are generally considered overkill for most purposes) is 11,000 PSI maximum average pressure. For .45 ACP handguns, they're designed to handle up to 21,000 PSI. 9x19mm Parabellum is 31,000 PSI. Even .22 Long Rifle has a maximum operating pressure of I think 24,000 PSI.

Those kinds of shotguns are super common, especially in areas with restricted legal gun ownership like Southeast Asia. They were called "Four Winds" shotguns in the Philippines.

Do a search for FM 21-210

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Do a search for FM 31-210

I was actually reading that not long ago. You can use steel pipe even for .30 caliber rifles. I mean, they won't hit anything past point blank range. But they also won't explode.

• Locked thread