Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Thumbtacks posted:

this is a good thread

1-6,shift+1-6, ctrl+1-6. How is that even hard? I like to add q,e,r,t,f + shift versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Eimi posted:

Finding a new caster would be hard, in my limited FF experience. Black mage is already in the FF verse the one size fits all elementalist master mage. We have smn already. Sch was a dps, but is in as a healer. Whm is basically geomancer. What's left?

Time Mage, which you could treat like a magic bard, give it some damage rotations but much lower overall dps countered by the ability to lower the GCD :getin:

Tenzarin posted:

1-6,shift+1-6, ctrl+1-6. How is that even hard? I like to add q,e,r,t,f + shift versions.

I'm a wierdo who prefers a single key option so I just remapped the F1-f10 row for my second row, third row gets clicked but those are all super long GCDs, sprint, Limitbreaks etc. Technically third row is also shift 1-10 too but.. eh

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 1, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Tenzarin posted:

You're not a real player if you don't have ` bound :colbert:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Here's a novel idea: how about a spellcaster that "invokes" special instant GCD 3-spell chains and depending on which spells you invoke you can then cast a completely new spell unique to that spell chain? Like let's say for example you can invoke Fire, Wind, and Water; invoking 3 Fires could send a flare down on the enemy, invoking 2 Wind and 1 Water lets you throw out a tornado which stuns enemies for a short bit, and invoking one of each shoots out a wave of pure magic that blasts your enemies, a deafening blast if you may.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Eej posted:

RDMs in this game would function as melee DPS and would probably work more like Mystic Knights with rapiers. I don't think the game quite needs another melee DPS though, when there's only two casters in the game.

You could make them work as a healer or a support. Have them be the opposite of Astrologians, doing most of their healing/damage reduction/support through debuffs (e.g. using Reverse on an enemy to transform some of the damage received into healing). The trick would be actually incentivizing their healing enough to compensate for the downside of being in melee, something that's always been a bit tricky.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

pandaK posted:

Here's a novel idea: how about a spellcaster that "invokes" special instant GCD 3-spell chains and depending on which spells you invoke you can then cast a completely new spell unique to that spell chain? Like let's say for example you can invoke Fire, Wind, and Water; invoking 3 Fires could send a flare down on the enemy, invoking 2 Wind and 1 Water lets you throw out a tornado which stuns enemies for a short bit, and invoking one of each shoots out a wave of pure magic that blasts your enemies, a deafening blast if you may.

Go play dota 2, you retard.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A melee caster would be interesting. Give them stuff like Enaero to boost their auto attacks as well, and some ability to convert damage dealt into weak barriers so they won't fall over from close-range AoE?

Also PLD is more fun that I had expected but stop giving me stuff I never use like Tempered Will, game. Can't wait to get Circle of Scorn.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

CuddlyZombie posted:

Red mage doesn't get Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, but Flame, Frost, and Fulgur. and Fcure

There problem solved.

Fsteak?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Tempered Will is absolutely situational rather than a standard rotational ability, but it's really nice for those situations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Niton posted:

You're not a real player if you don't have ` bound :colbert:

This loving game. Is there a reason why we can't tab through friendlies with `?

Fix.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Waiting on Alchemist class that uses potions to buff/poison and throw explosive flasks n poo poo.

e: please, ` is for mashing to confirm through doors.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

There's always blue mage. I think yoshida even mentioned it at one point.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

pandaK posted:

An Illusionist class that deals with creating illusory clones that cast weakened versions of your spells and has the potential of either going for a ranged spellcaster type or a melee skill comboer.

My secret wish is for a DoM tank with a trickster motif who tanks by using decoys and redirecting damage and stuff rather than eating it in the face like the DoW tanks.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

mightygerm posted:

There's always blue mage. I think yoshida even mentioned it at one point.

Well, he did, but that was to say that the current view of BLU wouldn't fit FF14.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

pandaK posted:

Just spitballing here, what about a Geomancer class whose spells entirely revolve around ground target AoEs? They could be a mix of support and dps being able to lay down tons of crowd control and poo poo like that. Or is that already too similar to another class?

Plus I think there'd be plenty of room for interesting gear sets since they usually have a goofy outfit.

Literally no one except a small subset of weird goons and other weirdos (probably 1.0 die hards) want to play a support classes in TYOOL 2015 of MMO's. I am surprised wildstar didnt have support classes in their lovely mmo.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also PLD is more fun that I had expected but stop giving me stuff I never use like Tempered Will, game. Can't wait to get Circle of Scorn.

Tempered Will is amazing at times.

--More DPS on final Neverreap boss
--Showing off when the ST dragons descend
--Removing Heavy from random world trash you're trying to run by

You won't use it every day, but you'll be happy it's there when you need it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dammit, I knew I gave up too early!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

KoB posted:

Waiting on Alchemist class that uses potions to buff/poison and throw explosive flasks n poo poo.

e: please, ` is for mashing to confirm through doors.
Before MCH was confirmed, I was so ready for the gun-using class to be Chemist, FFT style. :(

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Erg posted:

A caster from Tales of Graces had their regular attacks be long range, and all their spells were AOEs or column attacks originating on the caster. I thought that was a pretty cool distinction from most mage characters.

Wait, hold on. Was she Goku?

Mango Polo posted:

Well, he did, but that was to say that the current view of BLU wouldn't fit FF14.

I always thought blue mage could be a very cool tanking class, but the problem is more that blue mage isn't really a fully fleshed out class. They're just a gimmick where if you get hit with a spell and survive you can learn to cast that spell later on, which can mean basically anything.

I'd always thought people would be very accepting of a blue mage who has the ability copy certain spells from other classes, kinda like how symbiosis worked with druids in wow but without giving the other person a new ability, and for the big class spells it could just be your job quests that you go out and get hit with big giant spells in order to learn them. Ruin is also a neutral spell, I don't think summoners and scholars would be that ruffled if you gave a new caster ruin as well. It's basically just the generic 'yeah it's magic but :effort:" spell.

Also if BLU is in the game they need to make the Qu a playable race who can only be BLU and CUL, which also brings me back to FF9 and it being among the best FFs in the series for a lot of reasons that you maybe just didn't appreciate when you played it for the first time when you were younger, but would if you went back and played it again :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Might as well offer my own thoughts on Red Mage.

First, let's consider what a Red Mage is. It's a class that has melee, offensive magic, and support magic.

Of the three roles in FF14, which one can it fill? It can't be DPS because spending your time with healing/support cuts into damage. It can't be Healer because getting into melee as one is a bad idea. So there's only one Role that lets a Red Mage be a Red Mage, a Tank.

So our new RDM is a Tank, how do we get it to cast spells and use melee? Obviously it needs both Weaponskills and Magic, and a way to encourage both. To encourage both it needs a mechanic of its own. Namely that its spells restore TP and its Weaponskills restore MP. It would have high TP costs and a low MP pool to help encourage this.

So what about the two different magic types? We need to encourage the RDM to use Support while keeping to its role as Tank. The way to do this is to make the Healing and Support magic grab a lot of burst hate. So to pull in the enemies you cast your buffs, then use Weaponskills to sustain it. Then you cast offensive magic to restore TP.

And so we hav a class now that does everything a Red Mage should do, gives it a unique feel and has itsown mechanics.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Honestly, for as much as people love RDM I don't really think it should exist as an actual job. The thing that makes RDM distinct is being able to do everything, and being able to do everything in one class at the same time just doesn't work in this format. It's something they wouldn't be able to do justice.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Honestly, for as much as people love RDM I don't really think it should exist as an actual job. The thing that makes RDM distinct is being able to do everything, and being able to do everything in one class at the same time just doesn't work in this format. It's something they wouldn't be able to do justice.

Actually the thing that makes RDM distinct is their immaculate fashion sense so as long as they include that then we're golden.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Now that I've hit 60, I have a few endgame questions:

- Do Poetics Tomestones do anything meaningful? To unlock HLDR, I'd have to do like 15 different dungeons that only drop those as loot, so I'm gonna be bummed out if they're worthless now :smith:
- What's with the Expert Roulette? It doesn't even show up as locked in my Duty Finder; is there a list of what you need to run to unlock it? Has it changed in Heavensward, or are there no Heavensward Duty Roulettes?
- Are hunts actually worth doing? Seems like they're way more work than just doing dungeons, especially with how rude people are with pulling. I haven't actually gone through the trouble of unlocking them yet (GC hunting log/promotions :argh:), is it worth the time?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bland posted:

Actually the thing that makes RDM distinct is their immaculate fashion sense so as long as they include that then we're golden.

:agreed:

I knew I forgot something

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Dr Pepper posted:

Might as well offer my own thoughts on Red Mage.

First, let's consider what a Red Mage is. It's a class that has melee, offensive magic, and support magic.

Of the three roles in FF14, which one can it fill? It can't be DPS because spending your time with healing/support cuts into damage. It can't be Healer because getting into melee as one is a bad idea. So there's only one Role that lets a Red Mage be a Red Mage, a Tank.

So our new RDM is a Tank, how do we get it to cast spells and use melee? Obviously it needs both Weaponskills and Magic, and a way to encourage both. To encourage both it needs a mechanic of its own. Namely that its spells restore TP and its Weaponskills restore MP. It would have high TP costs and a low MP pool to help encourage this.

So what about the two different magic types? We need to encourage the RDM to use Support while keeping to its role as Tank. The way to do this is to make the Healing and Support magic grab a lot of burst hate. So to pull in the enemies you cast your buffs, then use Weaponskills to sustain it. Then you cast offensive magic to restore TP.

And so we hav a class now that does everything a Red Mage should do, gives it a unique feel and has itsown mechanics.

Oh wow, that's actually a really cool loving idea. Someone please beam this into Yoshi P's brain and make him add it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Bland posted:

I stand corrected, but

Minrad posted:

Well, the game lets you get pretty close, at least.

And isn't the new AF for black mage totally just a red mage outfit?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh wow, that's actually a really cool loving idea. Someone please beam this into Yoshi P's brain and make him add it.

Tanks that are designed to heal are a nightmare to balance, just look at how Death Knights in wow have evolved over the years.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Are there any Fancy clothes I could wear that would go well with the gambler barding? Also how do glamours work?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

more like dICK posted:

Also how do glamours work?

There's a detailed page here. The basics are that you need:

1) Two items: the base item (that will receive the glamour), and the glamour item (that will give its appearance to the base item). The glamour item must be of equal or lower level to the base item, or else it won't work. You have to be able to wear both items on the class/job you're glamouring onto, but the sky is otherwise the limit.

2) An appropriate glamour prism. You can buy these from the AH. You need one that's appropriate to the item type of the glamour item (e.g a Grade X Leatherworking Prism if you're trying to glamour an item of the Leatherworking type, which you can see at the bottom of the item's description).

Once you have both of them, right click on the base item you want to glamour, click on the "Glamour" tab, and then pick a glamour item from the selection to the right. The base item will gain the appearance of the glamour item. If you ever equip an item that's been glamoured on a class/job that cannot otherwise wear the glamour item, it will simply show the base appearance of the item.

You can only unlock this at level 50.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

more like dICK posted:

Are there any Fancy clothes I could wear that would go well with the gambler barding? Also how do glamours work?

You can buy it for MGP

Glamours use these crystals and this big mess of a system, you unlock it at 50 with a quest in mor dhona. It makes much more sense when you just use it versus someone explaining it to you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

abraham linksys posted:

Now that I've hit 60, I have a few endgame questions:

- Do Poetics Tomestones do anything meaningful? To unlock HLDR, I'd have to do like 15 different dungeons that only drop those as loot, so I'm gonna be bummed out if they're worthless now :smith:
- What's with the Expert Roulette? It doesn't even show up as locked in my Duty Finder; is there a list of what you need to run to unlock it? Has it changed in Heavensward, or are there no Heavensward Duty Roulettes?
- Are hunts actually worth doing? Seems like they're way more work than just doing dungeons, especially with how rude people are with pulling. I haven't actually gone through the trouble of unlocking them yet (GC hunting log/promotions :argh:), is it worth the time?

Poetics tomes have no uses in new content. If you want to give a level 50 class a head start on gear for 50-55 or so you can spend it on Ironworks gear but that's about it.

Ex roulette unlocks again when you have run the two new ex dungeons once each. Beat the main story, then look for sidequests at the vanu camp and the Ishgard airship dock.

The new hunt seals let you buy items to upgrade your new i170 law tome gear, so you want those. There will probably be a way to get them from Alexander once that opens up but right now they are only obtainable with Centurio seals, which is why hunt fever is on again.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bard is the red mage equivalent in ff14

Need to tank, just start the fight without quelling strikes and get more aggro than you know what to do with.

Need to dps, well just do that but with quelling strikes. Can even replace a black mage now thanks to minuet.

Need to heal, you have second wind.

Plus you have the fantastic fashion sense.

FF9 is obviously the beat game in the series. The limit break system was dumb as hell but the game as a whole is just fantastically solid all the way through.

You're Not Alone, FF9 lovers.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Are there any NPCs selling Lv51+ crafting/gathering equipment? I've found NPCs selling mainhand tools but haven't seen any with armor/accessories.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

UglyDucklett posted:

Bard is the red mage equivalent in ff14 ... you have the fantastic fashion sense.

Pretty much the entire reason I chose to play Bard in this (though I stayed for how it plays of course) was because I thought "close enough" with regards to this point.

I still live in hope that we get Red Mage in some capacity some day though.

vvvvv I would love all of that so much, you have no idea

Bland fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 1, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
If Red Mage happens in the current paradigm of tank/healer/pure DPS/support DPS, it will be a support DPS, and it will feel like Red Mage in name only. They'll get Cure and a lovely MND stat (like Paladin), their gimmick will be en-spell stances, they'll get a bunch of DoTs (Dia) and some enfeeblements to the tune of BRD/MCN, and Refresh will operate exactly like Goad for MP. Anything else would require them to overhaul how the game works.

Personally, I'd rather see them do a 180 on the class/job thing and embrace it again, giving us Fencer -> RDM and BLU as branching SMN/SCH jobs. Start Fencer at 30 with a basic suite of skills, it learns no new skills naturally, BLU and RDM job stones change some of the Fencer skills in the style of Summon 1/2/3, BLU and RDM gain their own skills from 30-60 like 2.0 jobs did from 30-50, and then they join everyone else at 61-70. But we know they don't like the branching jobs thing, so I'm not optimistic.

KoB
May 1, 2009

pksage posted:

If Red Mage happens in the current paradigm of tank/healer/pure DPS/support DPS, it will be a support DPS, and it will feel like Red Mage in name only. They'll get Cure and a lovely MND stat (like Paladin), their gimmick will be en-spell stances, they'll get a bunch of DoTs (Dia) and some enfeeblements to the tune of BRD/MCN, and Refresh will operate exactly like Goad for MP. Anything else would require them to overhaul how the game works.

Personally, I'd rather see them do a 180 on the class/job thing and embrace it again, giving us Fencer -> RDM and BLU as branching SMN/SCH jobs. Start Fencer at 30 with a basic suite of skills, it learns no new skills naturally, BLU and RDM job stones change some of the Fencer skills in the style of Summon 1/2/3, BLU and RDM gain their own skills from 30-60 like 2.0 jobs did from 30-50, and then they join everyone else at 61-70. But we know they don't like the branching jobs thing, so I'm not optimistic.

Why even have Fencer? This is why the job system is dumb. Its loving pointless.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Are there any NPCs selling Lv51+ crafting/gathering equipment? I've found NPCs selling mainhand tools but haven't seen any with armor/accessories.

Vendor at Moghome sells level 55 left sides for DoH and DoL

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Vil posted:

Tempered Will is absolutely situational rather than a standard rotational ability, but it's really nice for those situations.

isk posted:

Tempered Will is amazing at times.

--More DPS on final Neverreap boss
--Showing off when the ST dragons descend
--Removing Heavy from random world trash you're trying to run by

You won't use it every day, but you'll be happy it's there when you need it.
To put this in perspective, Tempered Will is just as powerful as Hallowed Ground in that it allows you to completely ignore a mechanic for it's duration. (Arguably even more powerful since some attacks pierce Hallowed.)

It's one of those abilities where you look to find uses for and get rewarded for it.
For Example: the second boss in The Vault where he Hyperdimensional Cut's twice followed by a roomwide knockback to send you into them? If the arena's rather lousy with them and you don't want to stand with everyone else to risk them getting cleaved you can put your back to a big ol' clump of them, hit Tempered Will and not go anywhere.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

KoB posted:

They had this really sweet idea that no one in the world playing a final fantasy MMO wanted to be a warrior, black mage, white mage, summoner, dragoon, ninja, paladin, or every other max lvl class.

Moo Moo Canoe
Mar 11, 2007

Drunk postin' ftw

KoB posted:

While the implementation is cludgy I find evolving classes a p compelling carrot on a stick, and great for story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Moo Moo Canoe posted:

While the implementation is cludgy I find evolving classes a p compelling carrot on a stick, and great for story.

The system is really good, IF there were more classes for the soul stones! But that doesn't work so well. What would the second puglist job do with fists?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 1, 2015

• Locked thread