Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Rocksteady just needs to make all character's playable in free roam or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

I was really loving proud of myself for figuring this one out. The spinny thing in the TV studio is baffling me though.

If you mean the slot machine you just need to match up the symbols. It's a bit tricky getting the timing right. I got it on my first try, I think matching black diamonds. I don't know if you can just match any symbols or if it has to be a certain set.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just wish I had access to a simple combat simulator early in the game to try out new weapons and gadgets and attacks - for the first chunk all we get is that odd "keep your combo going" room which is annoying as hell when you're trying to remember which move does what and where.

Like I love the sheer depth to the combat, and find the gadgets finally useful (except for the exploding gel, which is hilariously pointless in combat) - but an easy VR room would go a long way.

Akham Knight does so many things well, the core gameplay is a great evolution on nearly every front, the story actually succeeds in making me fear for Batman's life, the level design springing traps in juuust the right places -

But there's also a growing list of small issues that do detract from the title. Not in a "stuff is filler" way - just a bunch of nitpicky things taken together that distract from the title.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I don't think I understood the double predator room with Robin. Like I was thinking you could call in the other dude while you took someone out at the same time, so a double takedown of two guys, but instead Batman or whoever just goes "I gotta stay up here" and then it switches to Robin or whoever. Or... oh duh, were you supposed to like, call in Robin, then batarang the second dude in the ~second you had? Or..

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

VolticSurge posted:

I'll try that,but it doesn't seem to work while I'm gliding or otherwise midair.

Easiest way is apparently to time it so you land on top of the green barrier and soak up the damage while firing the line launcher. I managed to get myself caught on something sticking out from one of the walls, but i odn't know if you're supposed to be able to fire it while gliding indoors (there's a prompt to fire it when gliding outdoors).

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

This probably has to do with the relative ease with which the Azrael fight could be pulled out of the game's narrative compared with the other two. It also sounds like the dual mode combat events were built individually such that they couldn't be easily generalized.

A Robin or Catwoman team-up challenge could just be one of the rooms where that happens in the story mode, but with more mooks. Just like the Azreal challenge.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

This probably has to do with the relative ease with which the Azrael fight could be pulled out of the game's narrative compared with the other two. It also sounds like the dual mode combat events were built individually such that they couldn't be easily generalized.

Considering the Nightwing and Batman mode works fine, that's a bit hard to buy.

Especially the Catwoman one because they could just pull "Batman and Catwoman fight a bunch of Riddler Bots" right out of the story and not have trouble.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Like I love the sheer depth to the combat, and find the gadgets finally useful (except for the exploding gel, which is hilariously pointless in combat) - but an easy VR room would go a long way.

They never really managed to find a good use for exploding gel. It's easier to string into combos now but the exploding batarang power gadget kind of eclipses anything it can meaningfully do and the non-power version is easily the worst gadget in the game.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There should be a spin-off comic that's just about Riddler's misadventures setting up the trophies.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Azrael gets his own challenge because he's just a skin for Batman. Robin (and Catwoman I guess, but I never liked her) not being playable in challenges is a joke. Definitely take that away from Rocksteady. But it's only because they're saving those two and Nightwing for their own DLC packs. Which I can't be too pissed about, because that's how it's been. I'm just gutted they're likely to be those lovely 10 minute ventures like Red Hood and Harley were. And sure Red Hood was fun, but critically short.

Mazerunner posted:

I don't think I understood the double predator room with Robin. Like I was thinking you could call in the other dude while you took someone out at the same time, so a double takedown of two guys, but instead Batman or whoever just goes "I gotta stay up here" and then it switches to Robin or whoever. Or... oh duh, were you supposed to like, call in Robin, then batarang the second dude in the ~second you had? Or..

You could basically summon Robin to instantly scratch a dude out 3 times. You could also switch to him to play Predator as Robin. You MIGHT'VE been able to do the same with Batman, I don't remember if you could summon him to insta-takedown. Then you could do a double takedown on the big guys.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Kin posted:

Easiest way is apparently to time it so you land on top of the green barrier and soak up the damage while firing the line launcher. I managed to get myself caught on something sticking out from one of the walls, but i odn't know if you're supposed to be able to fire it while gliding indoors (there's a prompt to fire it when gliding outdoors).

There is a line launcher perch button, it's middle mouse on PC. I think you have to hold it down. Took me two or three tries on that puzzle.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Medium Cool posted:

If you mean the slot machine you just need to match up the symbols. It's a bit tricky getting the timing right. I got it on my first try, I think matching black diamonds. I don't know if you can just match any symbols or if it has to be a certain set.

No, the big spinning thing in the backstage area. I solved the one you're talking about (due to my terrible description) by matching hearts. I don't even think they were the same color.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

You could basically summon Robin to instantly scratch a dude out 3 times. You could also switch to him to play Predator as Robin. You MIGHT'VE been able to do the same with Batman, I don't remember if you could summon him to insta-takedown. Then you could do a double takedown on the big guys.

Yeah, Batman and Robin can swap off in predator rooms after a takedown just like they do in combo rooms.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mogomra posted:

No, the big spinning thing in the backstage area. I solved the one you're talking about (due to my terrible description) by matching hearts. I don't even think they were the same color.

I'm not sure if I'm remembering that one right but if it's what I'm thinking it is you just have to keep hitting it with the rec gun until it blows up.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mogomra posted:

You've gotta shoot it in the order B -> C -> A. That's how I solved it. I don't get how I did it or what it means, but that's what you do. You have to hit the thing when the spinner passes over the letters. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SonicRulez posted:

You've gotta shoot it in the order B -> C -> A. That's how I solved it. I don't get how I did it or what it means, but that's what you do. You have to hit the thing when the spinner passes over the letters. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ohhh, if it's this one you have to spell out "bat". It's really convoluted because you have to use the batarang to keep switching directions. And you have to stop the spinner while the arrow is over a letter for it to register, and if it goes over that reset it will wipe out your progress.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SonicRulez posted:

Azrael gets his own challenge because he's just a skin for Batman. Robin (and Catwoman I guess, but I never liked her) not being playable in challenges is a joke. Definitely take that away from Rocksteady. But it's only because they're saving those two and Nightwing for their own DLC packs. Which I can't be too pissed about, because that's how it's been. I'm just gutted they're likely to be those lovely 10 minute ventures like Red Hood and Harley were. And sure Red Hood was fun, but critically short.

Yeah but when you summon Robin it auto switches you to him while Batman doesn't do anything, so you might as well have just done it with Batman and you'd be in the 'same' position. What I was hoping for was simultaneous dual takedown, unless I'm just missing how to do that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Restarting and finding out you're falling through the world (and restarts don't fix it, only quitting the game completely does) are becoming EXTREMELY common the last couple of days. Super annoying.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

But it's only because they're saving those two and Nightwing for their own DLC packs. Which I can't be too pissed about, because that's how it's been. I'm just gutted they're likely to be those lovely 10 minute ventures like Red Hood and Harley were. And sure Red Hood was fun, but critically short.

Yeah, I agree. The Gordons are my favorite part of the Bat-universe, so when I heard about that Batgirl DLC, I nearly bought the season pass at launch. After playing Harley's 'campaign', man am I glad I didn't.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

SonicRulez posted:

Medium Cool posted:

Ohhh, if it's this one you have to spell out "bat". It's really convoluted because you have to use the batarang to keep switching directions. And you have to stop the spinner while the arrow is over a letter for it to register, and if it goes over that reset it will wipe out your progress.

Thanks. I swear I tried this, but I must not have lined it up right.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Funky Valentine posted:

There should be a spin-off comic that's just about Riddler's misadventures setting up the trophies.

I especially love that he filled the airships with entirely bespoke and relatively complex puzzles while they were occupied by AK/Scarecrow forces.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Steve2911 posted:

I especially love that he filled the airships with entirely bespoke and relatively complex puzzles while they were occupied by AK/Scarecrow forces.

On that note, what's with the puzzle where you stand on a switch in one zeppelin and question marks on the other zeppelin light up?

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

It's not even the worst Arkham game.

That's not really true. The Arkham games usually only had like 4 or 5 actual challenge maps and then EXTREME versions where they add some electric sticks. I want more challenge maps, but I won't act like the games usually gave us more. And stuff like Deathstroke, Robin, Nightwing, and Catwoman was always DLC. Just buy the Season Pass.

Before DLC and not counting the extreme versions, Arkham City had 6 combat challenges and 6 predator challenges.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

On that note, what's with the puzzle where you stand on a switch in one zeppelin and question marks on the other zeppelin light up?

I think you just need to hit the rightmost question mark while it's lit. Remote control batarang is the easiest way to do it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well, that's 100% completion done. That really wasn't worth it, but since the game wasn't going to give me an ending unless all the Most Wanted stuff was completed, it was either that or watch the ending on Youtube.

Riddler's boss fight bugged out as well, the game decided that he should never drop his shields and I couldn't hurt him at all. I literally spent 15 minutes dodging his attacks and trying various gadgets but nothing was working, and then he just froze in place. Reloaded the checkpoint and everything was fine after that.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Crowetron posted:

Yeah, I agree. The Gordons are my favorite part of the Bat-universe, so when I heard about that Batgirl DLC, I nearly bought the season pass at launch. After playing Harley's 'campaign', man am I glad I didn't.

But Batgirl actually is going to have a full campaign. Free roam and all. She's got her own achievements, mate. You don't have to get the season pass, but still get that.

Peewi posted:

Before DLC and not counting the extreme versions, Arkham City had 6 combat challenges and 6 predator challenges.

4 in Knight on both sides isn't bad since they also put up 4 for the Batmobile in racing and 4 in tank segments. I would've preferred 8 for each and screw the drat Batmobile, but they made a choice.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

One neat thing since I feel like most of my posts in this thread are bitching about stuff, on New Game + I noticed that the airships aren't over Founder's Island at the start of the game. They actually move across the sky over the course of the first act before docking(?) next to Wayne Tower. A neat detail that just makes me like the look and feel of the city even more.

Funky Valentine posted:

Gotta shot 'em as they light up. I found it loads easier with the REC gun, you have to account for travel time so it takes a few tries at least.

SonicRulez posted:

But Batgirl actually is going to have a full campaign. Free roam and all. She's got her own achievements, mate. You don't have to get the season pass, but still get that.

That's encouraging, but I think I'll still wait until people get some hands on time with it before pulling the trigger.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I think you only have to hit the rightmost one. I just timed it and did it with the remote batarang since you have speed control and it also compresses time while you're using it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harley Quinn and Mr. Freeze had their own campaigns too and they were about an hour each tops.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Do we know the price of the individual dlc campaigns yet?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ImpAtom posted:

Harley Quinn and Mr. Freeze had their own campaigns too and they were about an hour each tops.

You mean Cold cold heart and Harley's revenge? Because Cold Cold Heart was definitely longer than an hour when I first played it, which surprised the hell out of me. It took me an hour I think just to get that special environmental suit.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The next Arkham game should include an emulated version of Batman for the NES as the most fiendish Riddler challenge yet. To add more content and value for money, make it so that you can't see the real ending unless you finish the NES game twice. :unsmigghh:

(sorry about that, I got terrible Donkey Kong 64 flashbacks while collecting all the trophies even though it wasn't nearly that tedious)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What are the new game plus changes?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I think just no counter help so far. Haven't noticed any harder enemy configurations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think just no counter help so far. Haven't noticed any harder enemy configurations.

No story changes?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Kurtofan posted:

No story changes?

the opening cutscene changes a bit, haven't noticed anything else so far

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Doc Morbid posted:

The next Arkham game should include an emulated version of Batman for the NES as the most fiendish Riddler challenge yet. To add more content and value for money, make it so that you can't see the real ending unless you finish the NES game twice. :unsmigghh:

This would mega own. :) I still can't believe how good that game is. Stylistically it's one of the top games of that generation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

Also if you get spotted in an encounter you lose your ability to use a fear takedown. I'm not sure if you can charge it up again with a silent takedown or how that works exactly, I've just had the game tell me that after getting spotted.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They start using tactics earlier like Medics electrifying grunts. The configurations might be different but I can't really remember.

Otherwise NG+ includes all the previous upgrades you had and keeps your Riddler Trophy progress.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Urgh, these loving apc car takedown challenges. The're the only one's i've got left to 3 star and i just cant do it. I feels like it comes down to blind luck that you stumble on an APC that doesn't just lure you away from everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Doing the Knight tank fight. Is it me or do they extra-gently caress up the Batmobile handling when you switch out of Tank mode to outrun the big tank? The camera's all loose and super far back, and you're extra slippery on the ground.

• Locked thread