Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
I'm three days out and my vision is definitely improved, but it's not sharp, crisp. It feels like a pair of contacts that I've worn for just a bit too long. Should this improve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

ZoneManagement posted:

I'm three days out and my vision is definitely improved, but it's not sharp, crisp. It feels like a pair of contacts that I've worn for just a bit too long. Should this improve?

Yes, your vision will improve. For the first few weeks after I had LASIK I found my vision to be really inconsistent. I'd be able to see perfectly one day, and kinda fuzzy the next. Or my eyes would just get tired in the afternoon.
It took maybe five weeks before I was clear all the time. Even then, my vision would get blurry if it was really dry. That winter I was almost always a little fuzzy.
Now, a year later, I don't have a moment where things aren't clear.
It just takes time. You had a laser cut your eyes - they need to heal.

ZoneManagement
Sep 25, 2005
Forgive me father for I have sinned
Thank you for that. It was kind of what I already knew, but still needed to hear. I won't go through my story, as the surgery itself has already been described here a thousand times, but I've been pretty lucky so far. Night vision is the same as it's always been(I've always had halos, I guess? Some people always do? But no difference). The gritty feeling in the eyes was a minor inconvenience, and almost no other symptoms. So I've been lucky. And if it stays like wearing old contacts it's not so bad. One thing I can say (somewhat shame-faced) was that I was nervous as a first gently caress and though the Xanax helped, I was still freaked out. The nurse held my hand the entire time.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I'm glad I'm not the only one whose vision went fuzzy the first winter after getting LASIK. I was starting to get concerned I needed a touchup but then the weather warmed up and got less dry and suddenly I'm back to 20/20.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm having the procedure done in a few weeks and the LASIK clinic is offering $350 for lifetime touchups (IF required) after the first year. Should I go for it? 29 years old with stable prescription.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I'm having the procedure done in a few weeks and the LASIK clinic is offering $350 for lifetime touchups (IF required) after the first year. Should I go for it? 29 years old with stable prescription.

Maybe (depending on your eye stats right now). Some need second (or more) enhancements long-term. What is your prescription?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Zogo posted:

Maybe (depending on your eye stats right now). Some need second (or more) enhancements long-term. What is your prescription?

I believe it's around -2.25 ~ -2.75

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Busy Bee posted:

I believe it's around -2.25 ~ -2.75

That's not terrible. I can't imagine it costing much more than $350 even if you did need touchups in the future.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
Best thing I ever did for myself. Cost me 4,500.00 in 2010. No dramas at all now.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Got Wavefront LASIK done about a week ago and I have been putting in all the eye drops on a tight schedule and my vision is still not the best.

A day after the procedure, I could see 20/15 and still can but anything in between that is pretty bad. Especially looking at my computer screen at work (First day back) or anything between 2 - 20 feet in front of me - all hazy / fuzzy / really bright and just uncomfortable to look at. I had to adjust the text on my computer to extra large...

It's also really hard to focus on things in front of me. Overall, I'm impressed with my distance vision if I really concentrate and can drive fine and see all the street signs / license plates but everything else is pretty garbage.

Is this normal? I know this is normal after the first few days but as of now, I am getting a little worried.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 15, 2015

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Got Wavefront LASIK done about a week ago and I have been putting in all the eye drops on a tight schedule and my vision is still not the best.

A day after the procedure, I could see 20/15 and still can but anything in between that is pretty bad. Especially looking at my computer screen at work (First day back) or anything between 2 - 20 feet in front of me - all hazy / fuzzy / really bright and just uncomfortable to look at. I had to adjust the text on my computer to extra large...

It's also really hard to focus on things in front of me. Overall, I'm impressed with my distance vision if I really concentrate and can drive fine and see all the street signs / license plates but everything else is pretty garbage.

Is this normal? I know this is normal after the first few days but as of now, I am getting a little worried.

I had SMILE* done 6 weeks ago and this all sounds very familiar. It will take 4-6 weeks (at least) for your eyes to properly settle down, until then haziness/fuzziness/haloing are all to be expected/coped with. (It took me two weeks at 150% font size, and another four weeks before I was able to bump my font size down from 125% to 100%...)

* SMILE stands for 'small incision lenticular extraction' - what they do is the laser shapes out a lens-shaped pieces of your cornea, plus a ~3-4mm wide path to the outside at the cornea/sclera boundary. They then work a pair of forceps in through that path, gently separate the bit that the laser has cut out, then pull that out and it's done. Similar to LASIK just without the big flap.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Busy Bee posted:

Read my post history in this thread, should make you feel better.

Edit: just realized I didn't really say it got better, but it did, and I'm so glad I got it done.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 16, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

It takes a while for your vision to stabilize. I've noticed my vision is more affected now by the weather than before-- if it's dry out my vision goes to poo poo unless I'm militant about the eye drops for example.

If it's still weird in a month or two I'd ask your surgeon about it, but it'll probably sort itself out as your eyes heal.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

I got my LASIK done in January after reading this thread or one very much like it, so I'd like to contribute!

Wavefront LASIK report:
6 months in and all is well. Super glad I did it. I was -2.75 in one eye and -3.75 in the other, with astigmatism.
-Got it done at a highly rated provider (in the TLC Laser Eye Center network). Do recommend spending the extra money to go to the best provider you can: the day-of experience was very confident and comforting, they hit my 20/20 vision target (20/15 for the first week or so), and follow-ups were great, too. One of the techs at the place I went to said she used to work at a lower-tier place, and hated the job then, because so much of it was dealing with the like 10% of people who didn't have a perfect initial surgery, and needed touch-ups or other post-op fixing.

Weird or worrying things that turned out fine:
-If I recall: vision felt weird, occasionally fuzzy, eyes occasionally out of focus, first 5-7 days or so. Semi-regular foreign body sensation in eyes first 2 weeks or so, occasionally up to 4 weeks in. Gone now.
-Needed the moisturizing drops on basically the exact schedule they advised. Daily for the first 3 months or so. I *am* still using moisturizing drops when my eyes feel tired, but that's once every two or even three days or so, and largely for comfort. Even if this last forever, small sacrifice.
-I had haloes around lights at night (slightly distracting, not dangerous) for the first 3 months or so. Disappeared somewhere in the 4-5 months range.
-I accidentally rubbed my eye like 2 or 3 days after the surgery, which of course they tell you not to. No pain, but I was still super worried. Turns out, I did NOT tear my cornea! You're likely to feel pain or have impaired vision if you accidentally damage the eye while it's healing. Otherwise, you're probably fine.

P.S. my vision is definitely better now than it ever was with glasses.

edit: at my prescription, it was 3-4 days before reading felt "normal" again. I had the surgery on a Thursday, took the Friday off, and was back at my office job the next week without issue.

onefish fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 23, 2015

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
How long do you have to wait after Lasik before you can start exercising or lifting weights?

Also, anyone have experience with Lasik and working at a job where you stare at a computer screen for most of the day?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
I had wavefront done in June, and was back to lifting the next week with my doc's blessing, as long as I wasn't poking myself in the eyes with the weights he was happy.

Also took one day off work then went back into the office and just made sure I had my drops with me. I work on a computer the entire day and had no real issues.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ProSlayer posted:

Also, anyone have experience with Lasik and working at a job where you stare at a computer screen for most of the day?

Yea, it'll depend on how bad your prescription is. If it's really bad and you've worn glasses a long time it could take a few weeks for your eye muscles to adjust to where you're reading everything fine for hours at a time.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Zogo posted:

Yea, it'll depend on how bad your prescription is. If it's really bad and you've worn glasses a long time it could take a few weeks for your eye muscles to adjust to where you're reading everything fine for hours at a time.

This is true, and to give some perspective, I was at -6.75 in one eye, -7 in the other, had surgery on Wednesday, took Thursday off, came back in Friday. My eyes didn't really feel 'good' with the monitor until after the weekend, but I was definitely able to work with some minor breaks for drops and rest.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I stare at a computer all day and I had Wavefront in -7 eyeballs.

I got LASIK done on a Friday and I was totally fine to go back to work on Monday. I just made sure to take breaks from staring at the screen every so often and was religious about putting in my eye drops. The only time I had an issue with the computer was before the surgery when I went in for my measurement appointment where they paralyze your pupils and I couldn't focus on anything. I had the appointment in the morning and tried to go to work after but I just couldn't get anything done because I couldn't focus my eyeballs so I took the afternoon off.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gonna get the RELEX SMILE laser eye surgery soon, after looking into all the options. Not available in US but it is bladeless and also flapless, using a femtosecond laser. Was mentioned above but just in case some people don't seem clear on the difference, every other laser eye surgery type creates a corneal flap. Found in Germany for 4500 euros and then in India for 2000 dollars and I'm going to go with that because the doctor and the place seem super reputable with top of the line equipment, and I'm already in Asia (edit maybe not, back to the drawing board, might pay more to do it in western country). Here goes nothing..don't like the idea of having a laser mess with my eyes, but that this version seems like a matured technology is reassuring, and I hate wearing glasses for anything.

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 23, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

Here goes nothing..don't like the idea of having a laser mess with my eyes, but that this version seems like a matured technology is reassuring, and I hate wearing glasses for anything.

It legitimately took a few years for me to get up the nerve to go get my eyeballs lasered. When I first looked into it I didn't realize how invasive it is-- I thought they just shined a laser in your eye and bam done. As soon as I started reading about how it's done and how they have to suction your eye in place and cut the flap and stuff I just went NOPE I'LL JUST STICK WITH GLASSES THANKS till a few of my friends had it done without issue and I could talk to them about it and decided to get it done. I don't regret it one bit.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

ProSlayer posted:

I've posted a few times in this thread if you want to go over the last few pages.

My understanding of LASIK from my research was that people could go back to work a few days after their procedure. However, it took me about a week - week and a half for my eyes to get comfortable looking at a computer screen. It's been two weeks since my procedure and I would say my eyes are about 85 - 90% - still having issues with some vision / night vision. It gets better day after day though.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Tautologicus posted:

Gonna get the RELEX SMILE laser eye surgery soon, ...every other laser eye surgery type creates a corneal flap.

Had PRK done 3 months ago, no flap, just burn right through that poo poo. Blown away at how easy it was. Vision still had some blurriness for 4-5 weeks, now I don't even use drops, stare at computers all day erry day.

Best thing ever.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Toozler posted:

Had PRK done 3 months ago, no flap, just burn right through that poo poo. Blown away at how easy it was. Vision still had some blurriness for 4-5 weeks, now I don't even use drops, stare at computers all day erry day.

Best thing ever.

did not know.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Toozler posted:

Best thing ever.

PRK 4 lyfe :respek:

Seriously worth every penny. I have perfect sight and my night vision is still good, halos are not an issue anymore, and I, too, scare at screens all day at work without constant eyedrop usage.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

ibntumart posted:

PRK 4 lyfe :respek:

Seriously worth every penny. I have perfect sight and my night vision is still good, halos are not an issue anymore, and I, too, scare at screens all day at work without constant eyedrop usage.

Scrape then burn.
Worth every penny.
Eyes only hurt when I stare without blinking.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 7, 2015

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Your eyes can still be fluctuating for months afterwards. Not sure exactly what you mean by 95% and 80%.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Let's just say, hypothetically, as a person whose eyesight is pretty hosed up to where, even with a relatively recent prescription for new glasses, his left eye sees better up close and his right eye sees better far away, but also has some sort of piece of poo poo lazy eye where it'll go hog wild the moment you shut any of these eyes shut for less than a second...

Will LASIK surgery help this person who has pretty good healthcare, even if he has aforementioned lazy eye that might require additional surgery to help fix the muscle that is causing this poo poo in the first place, especially if this person uses beer and/or liquor excessively to cope with the low self esteem because of said problem?

This person is extremely ignorant of the healthcare PPO options he is available too, and feels similarly constricted due to his ignorance because of his money problems. Any hypothetical insight to help out this person?

Any helpful information for this person would be exxxxtreeeeemely valuable.

serious post.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 6, 2015

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

That seems like a question for an optometrist or an ophthalmologist to answer after a thorough exam.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Got LASIK Intralase done two days ago.

I hated the idea of anything going near my eyes. I had three eye doctor appointments prior to the surgery and each one I wound up getting lectured on how important it is to be able to have people put eye drops in my eyes each time. So the prior couple weeks to the surgery, I got two big boxes of the one time use Refresh drops to practice. I went through the boxes and couldn't say that I made much progress. So I was worried. The day of the surgery, I was nervous as hell because I'd hate for it to not go through because of my anxiety about anything going near my eye. After the valium and numbing drops, the surgeon was able to put the speculum on without much issues, to my surprise. The suction ring was definitely uncomfortable. Six minutes later and I was done. Everything looked very clear instantly.

After the numbing drops wore off, I had this stinging and burning feeling. It was recommended that I take a nap but I couldn't. So I began applying the lubricating drops and after an hour or so, the stinging and burning went away. I'd say that within four hours I was pretty normal. Went to the doctor yesterday for the follow up and found that my vision went from 20/200 to 20/15. I happily donated my old pairs of glasses and prescription sunglasses. Felt great!

I highly recommend it. It was $4500 for the whole thing but I got a few discounts that turned it into $3800. If I could go through with it, anyone can.

Culex
Jul 22, 2007

Crime sucks.
Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but I'm curious about Dallas area ophthalmologists that aren't bad?

My mom has to get her senile cataracts operated on, and is going to get LASIK or whatever at the same time, same incision, since her vision is really poor too.

She is curious if any doctor can be recommended, or at least anti-recommended, in the Dallas area. She's over in McKinney, if that helps. She's had so many bad docs that she's afraid, and there are so many docs in the area that searching for reviews is making me annoyed.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Culex posted:

Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but I'm curious about Dallas area ophthalmologists that aren't bad?

My mom has to get her senile cataracts operated on, and is going to get LASIK or whatever at the same time, same incision, since her vision is really poor too.

She is curious if any doctor can be recommended, or at least anti-recommended, in the Dallas area. She's over in McKinney, if that helps. She's had so many bad docs that she's afraid, and there are so many docs in the area that searching for reviews is making me annoyed.

What I did was looked at the reviews on Yelp along with viewing the LASIK clinics website / doctor / buliding. I would highly recommend against any LASIK clinic that is a chain.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Culex posted:

I got mine done at The Cornea Associates of Texas in Dallas, they're not just a LASIK place, they do all kinds of eye surgery. I don't know how they are with other surgeries but I'd recommend them for LASIK at least.

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I've been thinking about getting my LASIK done for a couple of years now, but I think I finally might get it done early next year after I get my taxes back.

My only concern is my age, I just turned 39 last month and I don't want to have the procedure if it is only gonna be worth it for a couple of years. I also have a family history of early cataracts so that also concerns me.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

diremonk posted:

I've been thinking about getting my LASIK done for a couple of years now, but I think I finally might get it done early next year after I get my taxes back.

My only concern is my age, I just turned 39 last month and I don't want to have the procedure if it is only gonna be worth it for a couple of years. I also have a family history of early cataracts so that also concerns me.

I've heard if you get LASIK it makes it more difficult to get cataract surgery later in life, which is why my mom elected not to get LASIK since cataracts run in her family. You can still talk to your eye doctor and see what they think, but you might want to hold off and get the lenses implanted directly into your eye when they remove the cataract if you think that's inevitable.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
How does marijuana use affect your eyes after LASIK, for those that toke and have had it done? I'm a medical marijuana patient and it's very much a necessary part of my life. If I decide to get LASIK, will I have to stop completely for a couple weeks or will it have any effect? My eyes typically don't get bloodshot from smoking (I use a vaporizer mostly) but I'm curious.

imurdaddy415
Sep 15, 2015
I have read that all laser lasik is the way to go. Any truth to that? I am planning on getting it done early next year.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

13 year old girls posted:

How does marijuana use affect your eyes after LASIK, for those that toke and have had it done? I'm a medical marijuana patient and it's very much a necessary part of my life. If I decide to get LASIK, will I have to stop completely for a couple weeks or will it have any effect? My eyes typically don't get bloodshot from smoking (I use a vaporizer mostly) but I'm curious.

That's something I would discuss with your eye doctor about. I know people who have stopped completely until at least they felt 100% which was about 6 - 8 weeks. As you know, marijuana really dries out the eyes so it can be problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I asked. Feel free to ask the doctor again, just as I'm free to speculate as a non doctor.

Don't get smoke in your eyes and keep em moist with the preservative free drops. Weed and icepacks helped with the whole pain at opening my eyes thing, and the extreme boredom induced by not being able to go outside, watch TV or look into a computer, or read a book. LASEK really hurt for about 2 weeks, but they told me it would hurt for a while. Traditional LASIK is a flap that heals fast. Over a weekend I keep hearing. Apparently I have overly sensitive facial nerves, because that poo poo hurt me more than others. Bad smells are overpowering and dentists suck for me too too.

Oh yeah. It's just amazing now that it's completely healed. Seriously amazing. If you're in your late twenties, early thirties, get some kind of laser correction done. Seemed the best age to do it at since there is some kinda change that happens in your eyes in your earlier 20's, Ef anybody knows how all that works, I'd love it if you could explain that to me.

Solvent fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 1, 2015

• Locked thread