Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

An roid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Preordering immediately

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

GopherFlats posted:

So I just updated to 5.1 and my power control widget disappeared and I can't find it anywhere in the widgets section. Did Google remove this in 5.0 or am I missing something obvious here?

Yes, google removed it.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

Google has absolute poo poo customer service. Or, more accurately has no customer service.

I remember buying a bunch of adwords credit a while back and they double-billed me. Somehow I managed to make contact with their customer support team who flat-out refused to refund the extra charge. As in, straight-up said "No we will not be doing that"

That's some bullshit. How long ago with this? Most interactions I've had with Google Support have been pleasant.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I've got 5.1 now, with smart lock setup, but it always hides any notification info on the lockscreen even if it's in the unlocked state. Am I missing an option somewhere or is that just how it is?

It would be nicer to have the notification info available if I was home or connected to my car's Bluetooth stereo, but hidden if I'm not.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

At least it doesn't look like it would need grip tape. Seems like it would fill your hand pretty well.

I recommend grope tape, because it looks like some of the materials might wear down fairly easily.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I have a question, something that's been nagging me about one of the apps on my phone. I have a Nexus 5 running 5.1.1 but one app, Flywheel, which is a taxi-hailing app, will always start itself and shows up in the apps->running section of my settings. Even if I force stop it it will resurrect itself. It doesn't use much RAM or CPU that I can tell nor does it seem to drain the battery but it bothers me that an app I actually launch maybe twice a month is always running and won't let me stop it for good. It's the only app in my collection that does this and from what I can tell it serves no purpose. Is there any reason this should bother me? Like is this kind of behavior the result of lovely data collection or just bad programming or something else maybe?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm thinking about buying a dual sim phone because I'm getting sick of carrying a work and personal phone around.

In order to comply with my company's policy I have to be connected to the WiFi when in the office. Is there a way to get specific apps to avoid certain WiFi networks? Or get them only to use certain networks?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I've got 5.1 now, with smart lock setup, but it always hides any notification info on the lockscreen even if it's in the unlocked state. Am I missing an option somewhere or is that just how it is?

It would be nicer to have the notification info available if I was home or connected to my car's Bluetooth stereo, but hidden if I'm not.

Yeah, there's an option in... maybe Security? Notifications? where you can choose which notifications are visible on a secure lockscreen.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Re: Google Photos

What happened to my "original" quality videos that I had uploaded for free prior to the recent changes? Were they just automatically compressed or were they compressed all along? (I swear I downloaded a video back in the day and it had the same file size as the original)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I just got my google fi invite and picked up a nexus 6. I still need to get a case, so opinions?

My last case was a "urban armor gear" which was pretty good, but I figured I'd check and see if there were any that were heads above the rest.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
I am kind of irritated that google released a revamped version of hangouts on ios before android. The android version release date is TBA.

iMessage isn't even on google play yet they want to release their iMessage alternative to the competing userbase before their own userbase.

What the heck google.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Hangouts is not an iMessage alternative.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well if they are trying to push an iMessage alternative, makes sense that they'd do it on the platform that has iMessage

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

Whizbang posted:

Hangouts is not an iMessage alternative.

Apple has iMessage, Google has Hangouts. They are alternatives of each other.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

baka kaba posted:

Well if they are trying to push an iMessage alternative, makes sense that they'd do it on the platform that has iMessage

I suppose so. It baffles me that they wouldn't at least wait until the Android version is done as well before releasing the iOS version considering Android is their very own.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

i was reloading posted:

I suppose so. It baffles me that they wouldn't at least wait until the Android version is done as well before releasing the iOS version considering Android is their very own.

Well, likely Apple takes it's sweet sweet time approving Google Apps, so maybe they had the iOS one done first, and put it through approval figured they'd use the lead time to finish the Android app? And then in the five days that took, their entire codebase changed, so they scrapped it and started over again so the Android app was entirely not ready.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Well, likely Apple takes it's sweet sweet time approving Google Apps, so maybe they had the iOS one done first, and put it through approval figured they'd use the lead time to finish the Android app? And then in the five days that took, their entire codebase changed, so they scrapped it and started over again so the Android app was entirely not ready.

You're probably right. They have a lot more phones to code for on Android as well.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bhodi posted:

I just got my google fi invite and picked up a nexus 6. I still need to get a case, so opinions?

My last case was a "urban armor gear" which was pretty good, but I figured I'd check and see if there were any that were heads above the rest.

Your welcome kit comes with a case. Otherwise the ringke slim is awesome

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Can someone explain the new battery statistics, because they all seem random

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Anyone got a suggestion for what part of Play services/Android is taking so much power? I'm pretty consistently out of battery around 1-2 PM if I don't charge during the day on a Nexus 5, 5.1.1.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have a question about hangouts: When you want to start a conversation with someone, how do you tell if you are sending them a Google Talk message or a regular text message? I was sure the last 2 conversations I started were with people via their text message numbers but the conversations both ended up in Google Talk.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

b0nes posted:

I have a question about hangouts: When you want to start a conversation with someone, how do you tell if you are sending them a Google Talk message or a regular text message? I was sure the last 2 conversations I started were with people via their text message numbers but the conversations both ended up in Google Talk.

It should say "Send an SMS message" in the text box before you type, like so:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

i was reloading posted:

It should say "Send an SMS message" in the text box before you type, like so:

OK. Now what if I have the persons actual cell number but it comes up as a hangouts message? How do you switch it from hangouts to text messaging? Several ties I have tried sending someone a message and it says "Invite xxx to Hangouts" when I just want to send a text message. Sorry I just decided to try Hangouts for the first time ever and i'm so confused.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

b0nes posted:

OK. Now what if I have the persons actual cell number but it comes up as a hangouts message? How do you switch it from hangouts to text messaging? Several ties I have tried sending someone a message and it says "Invite xxx to Hangouts" when I just want to send a text message. Sorry I just decided to try Hangouts for the first time ever and i'm so confused.

The first time you enter a number, the top option is "Find on Hangouts," with an option below to "Send a text." After that, there is a small toggle in the field where you enter the text, inside the conversation thread. So where you type your message, just to the left of that is an icon that says "SMS" or has a picture of a speech bubble (Hangouts).

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I'm just switching from a Nexus 5 to 6 and all my terrible apps aren't auto-loading on the new phone like I recall them doing during past phone transfers. (Yes I signed in to my Google account on the new phone) Did Google decide this was too convenient and kill it? Am I going to have to go download all my lovely tapping games from the play store again?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm just switching from a Nexus 5 to 6 and all my terrible apps aren't auto-loading on the new phone like I recall them doing during past phone transfers. (Yes I signed in to my Google account on the new phone) Did Google decide this was too convenient and kill it? Am I going to have to go download all my lovely tapping games from the play store again?

I just did this and it transferred all my poo poo like i was used to.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Did you touch the tips backs together when setting up the new phone to transfer your account over? I don't know how much that affects your apps getting installed, but I would imagine it would help since Google would know which device you were switching from.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I set up a replacement phone yesterday (did the tap & go thing) and most of my apps got downloaded, but not all. Curiously, some that weren't installed in my previous phone did get installed. I guess it's still an imperfect system. Somehow.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Well I have lollipop on my turbo now. What's next on the list to bitch about?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Well I have lollipop on my turbo now. What's next on the list to bitch about?

Just use it. You'll find something :newlol:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Well I tried removing my google login and adding it back, but no luck. Still not syncing the apps. I'll just go through and manually download things I guess. You'd think there would be a way to force start the sync, but after an hour of searching it seems to be something that either works or it doesn't. The only way to force a retry is to factory reset the phone and yeahhhhhh.... no. Thanks for another quality feature, Google! :thumbsup:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's why they're rewriting the system for M, to theoretically actually work consistently.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

There's 2 new Material themes in the S6 Theme Store. Light and dark.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

BobTheJanitor posted:

Well I tried removing my google login and adding it back, but no luck. Still not syncing the apps. I'll just go through and manually download things I guess. You'd think there would be a way to force start the sync, but after an hour of searching it seems to be something that either works or it doesn't. The only way to force a retry is to factory reset the phone and yeahhhhhh.... no. Thanks for another quality feature, Google! :thumbsup:

Did you go into the settings and turn sync on?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I reset my Nexus 9 after 5.1.1 finally dropped and it dropped the ball big time on restoring all the apps.

Here's a hint Google. If you make a ton of your apps dependent on the latest version of Play Services, maybe you should force the store to try to update that FIRST before attempting any other downloads or updates.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, there's an option in... maybe Security? Notifications? where you can choose which notifications are visible on a secure lockscreen.

Now this may be an LG thing but on my G3 that setting is under the 'Sound' section of the settings app (which makes no drat sense)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
As a follow up to my earlier whining, I finally upgraded to 5.1.1 and it solved all of my problems with Chrome and SwiftKey. Also nothing has gone catastrophically wrong.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

GopherFlats posted:

So I just updated to 5.1 and my power control widget disappeared and I can't find it anywhere in the widgets section. Did Google remove this in 5.0 or am I missing something obvious here?

Google haven't removed it, but that doesn't mean whoever made your phone didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

On 5.1.1: