Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

timrenzi574 posted:

Isn't the 100IS retailing for like 300$ more? You might be able to unload it for more than a new 135 would run you and make some profit

Edit: nvm I thought the macro retailed for like 1200

I wish they accidentally put a white lens in there, but I think the 100mm is $100 cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Friend wants to start selling poo poo, needs an easy lightbox setup. Has anybody bought one of the cheap kits like they have on Amazon (something like this), or something similar to it? I've built a cheap and easy cardboard lightbox for myself before, but I'd rather just point her somewhere where she can buy everything ready-made. From what I'm reading, the downside to all these kits is the lovely, lovely lights, which isn't surprising considering the cost.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How cheap can I reasonably go on a circular polarizer, brand-wise? And what's the best value CPL that provides really good performance, even if it's more expensive? What's the difference between a $10 off-brand CPL on Amazon, a $50 Hoya from my local camera store, and something along the lines of an $80 Promaster DIGITAL HD CPL?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would just push them towards a DIY lightbox unless they're demanding perfect results. A box with the sides cut out and a couple desk lamps seems like it would generate results to satisfy any amateur.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What's the difference between a $10 off-brand CPL on Amazon, a $50 Hoya from my local camera store, and something along the lines of an $80 Promaster DIGITAL HD CPL?

Color casts, flare, contrast.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

How cheap can I reasonably go on a circular polarizer, brand-wise? And what's the best value CPL that provides really good performance, even if it's more expensive? What's the difference between a $10 off-brand CPL on Amazon, a $50 Hoya from my local camera store, and something along the lines of an $80 Promaster DIGITAL HD CPL?
Just get a Marumi super dhg

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

evil_bunnY posted:

Just get a Marumi super dhg

This. Although I have an emotional attachment to B+W Kaisemanns for some stupid reason. On a related note, has anyone heard anything about the Moose warming CP?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

KinkyJohn posted:

I just got home after buying a canon 135mm f2 at a reputable camera shop in the mall. Opened up the package to find a 100mm macro L. It was a 135mm box with the lens hood and all the stuff you usually get. So tomorrow I'm going back and hope to gently caress they don't give me a hard time in exchanging it for the proper lens. If I have any trouble I swear to god I will badmouth them all over the place

Some reputation. Only lens I've ever bought from a physical store is the Tamzooka 150-600 and they opened up the package and let me inspect it before purchase and everything.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Some reputation. Only lens I've ever bought from a physical store is the Tamzooka 150-600 and they opened up the package and let me inspect it before purchase and everything.

They did sort it out for me without any hassle. It seems like they didn't have stock on hand and the guy in the warehouse / other store in the mall made the mixup. I got it for $830 new so I'm not complaining

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 11, 2015

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

tijag posted:

I'm sure it's just grey market camera stuff. the pricing for the two items I want [D750 and Tamron 24-70 2.8] make me think it is imports from Japan.

The only reason not to buy these is the warranty issues, right?

No, a lot of those places will outright screw you. The price will look good for a D750, but then you'll find out that it's the price for a D750, minus a battery, minus a charger, minus a body cap, etc. They'll sell you those things too, of course, not telling you that they come with the camera in the first place, and they'll gouge you in the rear end for them.

If the store's in NYC and it's not Adorama or B&H and is instead some name you never heard of, don't touch it.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Has anybody tried out those lensflipper things or alternatively glued two caps together? http://lensflipper.com/

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Friend of mine has one for F-mount, they're quite robust. They're good airshow lens carriers because they're getting really painful with bringing bags in these days.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Does anyone know a radio based camera remote (for Canon) that does not need to be attached to the flash hotshoe?

I have the TC-80N3 cable release and the simple IR based RC-06 but the cable for the TC-80N3 is too short for my needs and the IR is such a crapshoot if it works, and you need to point it at the camera so when you take self portraits you look like Thumbs Up Jesus.

I was looking at the Hahnel Giga T Pro II which has all the features i need like interval photo, autofocus, etc, but it needs to connect to both the flash hotshoe AND to the jack in the side of the camera (why?). I cannot find any other radio remotes that has a decent array of features.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I know the rf-602 series will recieve a half press and full press with just plugging in on the side. It doesn't have intervalometer, but you could potentially use Magic Lantern for that and trigger it to start with the radio trigger.

What's the application / project here?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Does anyone know a radio based camera remote (for Canon) that does not need to be attached to the flash hotshoe?

I have the TC-80N3 cable release and the simple IR based RC-06 but the cable for the TC-80N3 is too short for my needs and the IR is such a crapshoot if it works, and you need to point it at the camera so when you take self portraits you look like Thumbs Up Jesus.

I was looking at the Hahnel Giga T Pro II which has all the features i need like interval photo, autofocus, etc, but it needs to connect to both the flash hotshoe AND to the jack in the side of the camera (why?). I cannot find any other radio remotes that has a decent array of features.

The Hahnel doesn't -have- to go on the hotshoe, it's just got a hotshoe mount so you don't have a giant thing dangling off the side of your camera

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

dakana posted:

What's the application / project here?

Group photos where i am part of the group.

Timelapse and/or long exposure night photos while sitting inside.

Self "portraits" when i am out hiking, from far away.

timrenzi574 posted:

The Hahnel doesn't -have- to go on the hotshoe, it's just got a hotshoe mount so you don't have a giant thing dangling off the side of your camera

Yeah that makes sense, but the plug is a 3,5mm jack from what i can see, whereas my camera has the 3-pin socket. Is the Hahnel supposed to go in the microphone jack?

Edit: In the brochure found here (Not the Manual) it mentions "interchangeable connectors for different camera models" so i suppose the Canon version will come with the 3-pin plug. However, the manual clearly shows the remote connected with a cable to the camera, or the receiver connected to the hotshot AND the remote socket. The receiver is never shown connected just to the remote socket.

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 26, 2015

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Ineptitude posted:

Group photos where i am part of the group.

Timelapse and/or long exposure night photos while sitting inside.

Self "portraits" when i am out hiking, from far away.

Yeah that makes sense, but the plug is a 3,5mm jack from what i can see, whereas my camera has the 3-pin socket. Is the Hahnel supposed to go in the microphone jack?

Edit: In the brochure found here (Not the Manual) it mentions "interchangeable connectors for different camera models" so i suppose the Canon version will come with the 3-pin plug. However, the manual clearly shows the remote connected with a cable to the camera, or the receiver connected to the hotshot AND the remote socket. The receiver is never shown connected just to the remote socket.

Canon uses both mic jack & 3 pin remote triggers, and both are compatible with each other via 1$ adapter cords if this model doesn't come with an adapter itself. I share a wired trigger between both types.

And here, I found you a photo of the bottom of it. See , no contacts on the hotshoe - it's just a plastic mount

http://akkordwechsel.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/c_ps_z_img_0727.jpg

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

timrenzi574 posted:

Canon uses both mic jack & 3 pin remote triggers, and both are compatible with each other via 1$ adapter cords if this model doesn't come with an adapter itself. I share a wired trigger between both types.

And here, I found you a photo of the bottom of it. See , no contacts on the hotshoe - it's just a plastic mount

http://akkordwechsel.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/c_ps_z_img_0727.jpg

I am hereby convinced! Thanks :)

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
if you are thinking about getting a new camera any time soon I think a lot of the newer models can be controlled via wifi and a smartphone. 70D and D7200 have it, dunno about other bodies. So weigh the cost of whatever remote you're thinking about getting against a body upgrade

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The software on the D7200 via iPhone is alright, but it's pretty minimal. You can see what the camera sees, and touch for a focus point... but that's about it. Maybe they'll add the ability to change some settings in the future, but given the cost of their big commander remote, I imagine they won't.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Dren posted:

if you are thinking about getting a new camera any time soon I think a lot of the newer models can be controlled via wifi and a smartphone. 70D and D7200 have it, dunno about other bodies. So weigh the cost of whatever remote you're thinking about getting against a body upgrade

I have the Canon 6D which i can control with my Samsung S4 (im assuming iphones can do the same thing) both through the Camera Remote app using IR and with wifi with the EOS Remote app but its a pain in the rear end. The interface is atrocious and the input is inaccurate. Bonus annoyance for the phone screen going inactive :)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How dangerous is it to get a grey market X100T, like from DigitalRev?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

EL BROMANCE posted:

The software on the D7200 via iPhone is alright, but it's pretty minimal. You can see what the camera sees, and touch for a focus point... but that's about it. Maybe they'll add the ability to change some settings in the future, but given the cost of their big commander remote, I imagine they won't.

Ineptitude posted:

I have the Canon 6D which i can control with my Samsung S4 (im assuming iphones can do the same thing) both through the Camera Remote app using IR and with wifi with the EOS Remote app but its a pain in the rear end. The interface is atrocious and the input is inaccurate. Bonus annoyance for the phone screen going inactive :)

This is lame and bad. The Fuji camera app works fine and lets you access most everything. I shouldn't have assumed the other camera makers had similar features.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
Hey so I used to be big into film photography in the early aughts with a bunch of nikon and hasselblad gear (since sold off) but haven't really been active for more than 10 years.

What'd be a good camera to get me back in? My budget is flexible but I'm thinking no more than $1500 used. It has to be tripod mountable and have good low light performance. Other than that I'm flexible. Might even be open to a smaller non-slr camera as apparently some of them are really nice now and it might be fun to be able to (more easily) take a camera with me when I'm out and about.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

If you want a light, fun camera that's good in low light and is easy to take out and about, check out the Fuji x100 (original, S, or T editions are all good).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also look at Sony mirrorless as their low light performance is hard to beat.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Hey so I used to be big into film photography in the early aughts with a bunch of nikon and hasselblad gear (since sold off) but haven't really been active for more than 10 years.

What'd be a good camera to get me back in? My budget is flexible but I'm thinking no more than $1500 used. It has to be tripod mountable and have good low light performance. Other than that I'm flexible. Might even be open to a smaller non-slr camera as apparently some of them are really nice now and it might be fun to be able to (more easily) take a camera with me when I'm out and about.

If I were just getting into photography now, I would probably go with a mirrorless system. It's a more compact system that still produces great results. Also the lenses are cheaper than traditional SLRs. Fuji, Sony, and Micro 4/3rds are all great systems. Personally I'm more drawn to 4/3rds because I like that you can mix brands (Olympus/Panasonic) and everything works together. Which ever system you go with, it'll give you room to grow if you decide to try new things. Either way, you can get a lot for $1500 though I would suggest starting with a single lens until you master it.

If you're just looking something that's easy to carry around, there are some really good point and shoots out there like the Sony RX100.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hi all, I'm looking to a buy a DSLR or mirrorless camera in the $500-600 range. I'm currently living/working in Africa and I would use it regularly at work for taking photos of farmland, and I would also like to use it for travel photography. Size isn't an issue - I currently have a Sony HX9V compact superzoom that takes pretty good photos and I plan on keeping it. A decent zoom would also be nice, in case I end up going on a safari tour again. My current camera has 16x optical zoom, whatever that means, and it helped out a lot for shooting wildlife at a distance during a previous safari.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Whatever you buy, I found my monopod to be insanely useful on my safari. Some of my photos were getting shaky when fully zoomed in.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

surrender posted:

Hi all, I'm looking to a buy a DSLR or mirrorless camera in the $500-600 range. I'm currently living/working in Africa and I would use it regularly at work for taking photos of farmland, and I would also like to use it for travel photography. Size isn't an issue - I currently have a Sony HX9V compact superzoom that takes pretty good photos and I plan on keeping it. A decent zoom would also be nice, in case I end up going on a safari tour again. My current camera has 16x optical zoom, whatever that means, and it helped out a lot for shooting wildlife at a distance during a previous safari.

A used OM-D EM5 would be at the upper end of the budget, but it's weather sealed, can take a beating, and the crop factor works in your favor with wild life (although it'll be hard to compete with the raw zoom of the HX9V on that budget).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Not sure where to ask this:

It's been a while since I read about this, but what are the newest techniques/software for stitching images together? 16 images in a 4x4 square pattern, for example, creating huge images.

I used to also read about software for shooting several of the same frames, and software would pick out tiny differences to increase detail/resolution. It was never really advanced, though.

Anyone do these things?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It's been a while since I read about this, but what are the newest techniques/software for stitching images together? 16 images in a 4x4 square pattern, for example, creating huge images
MATLAB :getin:

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Not sure where to ask this:

It's been a while since I read about this, but what are the newest techniques/software for stitching images together? 16 images in a 4x4 square pattern, for example, creating huge images.

I used to also read about software for shooting several of the same frames, and software would pick out tiny differences to increase detail/resolution. It was never really advanced, though.

Anyone do these things?

Panorama stitching (the 4x4 square) and focus stacking is probably what you mean. Lots of programs can do panorama stiching (photoshop, lightroom, enfuse). There are also several options for focus stacking, and the best choice depends on what you are trying to do.

If you mean stacking images to increase resolution, there's an image processing technology call "super-resolution" but I'm not aware of any consumer software that does it.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Stacking images to increase resolution. I read a technical paper about it, maybe three years ago, but haven't looked for an implementation of it since.

I can do stitching with LR and PS, I just didn't know if there was some new hotness.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I literally just dry heaved reading this.

ROOT or python only, please.

But seriously photoshop is still pretty hot when it comes to stitching. Or get a camera with sensor shift and do it in body.

or do both. Brb.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

I prefer Hugin for stitching.

It can do all kinds of stitches, eg 360 panoramas and HDRI scenes etc, not just AxB rectilinears, and it is freeware.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Mr. Despair posted:

A used OM-D EM5 would be at the upper end of the budget, but it's weather sealed, can take a beating, and the crop factor works in your favor with wild life (although it'll be hard to compete with the raw zoom of the HX9V on that budget).

Thanks for the advice! It looks like the EM5 is available at BH for $500 with a 14-42mm lens:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842933-REG/Olympus_V204041BU000_OM_D_E_M5_Micro_Four.html

There's also an Olympus 40-150mm lens on sale for $100. Is this something that will get me decent zoom?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827291-REG/Olympus_V315030BU000_40_150Mm_F_4_5_6_R_M_Zuiko.html

I'm completely clueless when it comes to the stuff, so any further recommendations are welcome! Camera size isn't an issue, so I have no preference between mirrorless and DSLR.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

One thing to note is that the 14-42 isn't weather sealed, you want to look for the 12-50 kit lens. https://www.keh.com/361006/olympus-om-d-e-m5-black-digital-camera-body-16-1-m-p + https://www.keh.com/361024/olympus-12-50mm-f-3-5-6-3-m-zuiko-ed-ez-msc-black-autofocus-lens-for-micro-four-thirds-system-52 for example.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
x-post from the MF/LF thread

Dren posted:

I'm thinking about getting into MF. Talk to me about Mamiya 7 w/ 65mm lens as opposed to Pentax 6x7 w/ 75mm lens. From what I can tell the Mamiya is half the weight for twice the price and it's a rangefinder. I like that it's half the weight as I'd be way more inclined to bring it along. The 5 lb 6x7 (with lens) seems a bit heavy. Also, the only place I can seem to find the Mamiya is eBay sellers located in Japan. I've never bought something on eBay from Japan. Are there any unexpected things I should look out for? Besides that are there any questions I should ask in general when buying gear on eBay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Does anyone have any experience with portable instant printers? Things like the Fuji Instax SHARE and the Polaroid Zip. Is there one that's clearly better than the others? I'm just looking for something I can throw in my bag and carry everywhere I carry my camera, and use spontaneously when friends are around.