Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Okay, couple of things. Start with the non spoiler stuff. Why couldn't they get someone more like say... Frank Grillo... to be Reese? More gravelly and rough and less whiny and bulky? How many rats does Reese have to eat per day (I'm assuming that's where his protein comes from) to get the upper body he has all over this movie? That in itself is funny because the whole time they are in 1984, Courtney is doing the scooting around his knees/elbows thing Michael Beihn did in Terminator 1. Literally every good part in this movie is spoilered in the trailer, but if you haven't seen it somehow, it'd probably come off better.

Arnold's resting face (his face he has while Terminating naturally) is like a self-satisfied grampa smile now, so when he is doing the fighting it looks a little bit goofy.
This movie is very similar to T3 in how they do a whole "hey remember this from T2?", there's 3 scenes I can think of off the bat. A scene where a T100 stabs a guy while talking on the phone coolly impersonating a human. A scene where Arnold is crawling on his belly without an arm to a weapon with the bad guy looming over him. A scene where the T100 impersonates one of the heroes like it did with Sarah Connor in the factory scene at the end.
The time travel in this movie is awful.
Ending: Why have Arnold do his big death only to come right back? So now no Skynet but there's a kind old immortal robit grandfather? This movie also shits all over John Connor in a huge way, which might be good if you think he sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

*holds out hand*

Come with me if you want to live. I will pro-tekt you from dis muvie.

You're sending hollywood mixed messages if you said T3 and T4 were boring garbage and the franchise should die, but buy tickets to T5 as early as possible when they revive it. You need to protekt yourself from the series!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dipped myself into the molten liquid for the fate of the world.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Firstborn posted:

Ending: Why have Arnold do his big death only to come right back? So now no Skynet but there's a kind old immortal robit grandfather? This movie also shits all over John Connor in a huge way, which might be good if you think he sucks.

There's 2 more movies planned in this arc and there's the postcredits sequence, so uh yeah.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

After sleeping on it, I can say it was one of the most dour, depressing experiences I believe I've ever seen at the theater. Uh. Christ. I hate this movie. I hate this movie so much. I think if I see one more call back, I might die inside totally.

Man you've just got absolutely no cred on this, sorry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aww, poo poo. All I was trying to do was keep up mah cred.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Firstborn posted:

Okay, couple of things. Start with the non spoiler stuff. Why couldn't they get someone more like say... Frank Grillo... to be Reese? More gravelly and rough and less whiny and bulky? How many rats does Reese have to eat per day (I'm assuming that's where his protein comes from) to get the upper body he has all over this movie? That in itself is funny because the whole time they are in 1984, Courtney is doing the scooting around his knees/elbows thing Michael Beihn did in Terminator 1. Literally every good part in this movie is spoilered in the trailer, but if you haven't seen it somehow, it'd probably come off better.

Arnold's resting face (his face he has while Terminating naturally) is like a self-satisfied grampa smile now, so when he is doing the fighting it looks a little bit goofy.
This movie is very similar to T3 in how they do a whole "hey remember this from T2?", there's 3 scenes I can think of off the bat. A scene where a T100 stabs a guy while talking on the phone coolly impersonating a human. A scene where Arnold is crawling on his belly without an arm to a weapon with the bad guy looming over him. A scene where the T100 impersonates one of the heroes like it did with Sarah Connor in the factory scene at the end.
The time travel in this movie is awful.

Post credits scene: They didn't take out the Skynet core. It was hidden behind a wall of concrete in the basement. The Skynet hologram is there, watching its own core and looking all smug.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
That's terrible.

Steerpike
Mar 1, 2002

fiat nox
Fun Shoe
GENISYS could have used one or two more drafts of the script and some better direction in places, but I'm in agreement with those who think it's the best thing we've gotten since T2. I really hope it does well enough to get the sequels made, because even though the mid-credits teaser was dumb, I think the possibilities raised in this movie have promise.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow, Outlaw Vern hated this movie.

http://www.outlawvern.com/2015/07/01/terminator-genisys-sic/

Choice stuff on the characters:

Outlaw Vern posted:

Maybe none of this would be a dealbreaker if the actors made us love the new versions of the characters as movie icons in their own right, but I’m afraid not. I kinda like Courtney, I’m a sucker for meathead movie stars I guess, but I’m not gonna claim he’s great, or reminiscent of Biehn in any noticeable way. Clarke has a much harder job, and she handles it better than I expected from the trailers. I guess I can see how she has something like a circa-T1 everygirl Linda Hamilton vibe. But since she’s supposed to have been trained for survival from the age of 9 – basically a younger version of the badass T2 Sarah Connor – it’s a total airball. Nothing against the lady, but they sent her to a war she’s not prepared to fight. She’s a birthday candle trying to outshine a spotlight.

On the movie in general:

Outlaw Vern posted:

So, the Terminator has lost his bite, the T-1000 isn’t scary, Skynet has been thrown in the trash, time travel has become easy, the violence has been general audienced, the main characters have been blandified, the story has become over-over-overcomplicated, and nobody has really made a convincing argument for continuing the story after part 2 anyway. But I think the thing that is most missing from T2 is a general feel of badassness. Not just in Hamilton’s buffer, tougher, meaner Sarah, but in the whole vibe of the movie. T2 may have helped birth the modern age of digital effects, but it’s mostly an analog movie. It’s a real dirtbike hauling rear end with what looks like a kid driving it, getting chased by a real truck. It’s a real helicopter. You feel like you’re out in the heat with them, getting sweaty, getting dirty, getting knocked around and scraped up. I’m far from an anti-digital zealot, but it must be said that all this animation in this movie takes away even more of the punch. It’s too clean, too weightless, too much. It’s a problemo.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Courtney has to look right into the camera and say, "after this war, maybe my hands can be used for more than killing". The script is really bad.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Saw this today. It was surprisingly OK.

I wish they had time travelled to the events of T2 too, it would have been great!

Kyle Reese actor guy was the blandest of bland.

Game of Thrones girl did an OK job. Her Sarah was strong and didn't take any poo poo. Linda Hamilton and Lena Headey are tough acts to follow.

Why have endoskeletons drive trucks and man guardtowers instead of just having self driving trucks and automated sentry towers? They are like the Phantom Menace drone army that has to communicate in voices instead of via their network. Both armies also shut down when their central core is shut off.

I like that Arnold was credited as Guardian.

I realized that it is possible today to make a whole movie starring young Arnold and Paul Walker, you don't need the actual physical actors any longer.

JK Simmons was good, but underutilized.

The T1000 was underpowered, it was more like an issue that needed some management instead of a lethal threat.

The Genisys AI wasn't scary, neither was John Connor. John Connor just walking into their weapons storage was even more stupid than the parking garage exposition.

"I worked construction, until I got laid off."

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

evobatman posted:

Why have endoskeletons drive trucks and man guardtowers instead of just having self driving trucks and automated sentry towers? They are like the Phantom Menace drone army that has to communicate in voices instead of via their network. Both armies also shut down when their central core is shut off.

I'll paraphrase Asimov who had to make up a reason for his robots looking like people too: Humanoid robots make more sense because they can be used for multiple things. Instead of a specialized computer that can only drive a truck or only fire a gun out of a guard tower, one robot could do both. Architecture, furniture and vehicles are all designed for people, so a people shaped robot will get around better than some hulking monster on threads.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 1, 2015

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
Didn't hate it overall but had some really bad scenes and huge plot holes. I do not think this is a movie that will get better with repeated viewings.

Two Reese / Connor conversations before he goes back were awful. Like WTF bad.

Here is something I must have missed:

What was John Connors plan other than ensure Genisys becomes Skynet? He offered an alliance for what purpose? I am a machine but want to save you two because "memories"? United we stand? Dumb.

Some of it was really good. Unfortunately it was mostly the homage stuff.

Emilia Clarke is a passable Sarah Connor but early scenes she has some horrible lines.

Rest of cast was weak except Arnold and JK Rowling.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Stugazi posted:

What was John Connors plan other than ensure Genisys becomes Skynet? He offered an alliance for what purpose? I am a machine but want to save you two because "memories"? United we stand? Dumb.

He's speaking to less of an alliance and more of a "work for me" deal. His entire plan is to go back in time and ensure Babby Skynet isn't disturbed.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

After sleeping on it, I can say it was one of the most dour, depressing experiences I believe I've ever seen at the theater. Uh. Christ. I hate this movie. I hate this movie so much. I think if I see one more call back, I might die inside totally.

You have really strong emotional reactions to movies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is going to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all over again on the forums, isn't it? Hype movie over a year, movie cant measure up to insane fan fiction created in the mind.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

evobatman posted:

I realized that it is possible today to make a whole movie starring young Arnold and Paul Walker, you don't need the actual physical actors any longer.

Simone was actually warning us of the future. :tinfoil:

Donnerberg posted:

I'll paraphrase Asimov who had to make up a reason for his robots looking like people too: Humanoid robots make more sense because they can be used for multiple things. Instead of a specialized computer that can only drive a truck or only fire a gun out of a guard tower, one robot could do both. Architecture, furniture and vehicles are all designed for people, so a people shaped robot will get around better than some hulking monster on threads.

Counterpoint: BOLOs :getin:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

This is going to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles all over again on the forums, isn't it? Hype movie over a year, movie cant measure up to insane fan fiction created in the mind.

I don't know where you get that idea, since if anything this movie has had anti-hype. It's looked like total poo poo since the first pictures were released, and everyone's reactions so far seem to be "it wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be."

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

WarLocke posted:

Holy poo poo, that movie sounds good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

You have really strong emotional reactions to movies.

I do. And it will be that way until I die.

Heck, maybe I'll get killed by a movie. Wouldn't that be something?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The scene where T1 Arnold gets up, I honestly think that closeup on his face is from the original film.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Firstborn posted:

Courtney has to look right into the camera and say, "after this war, maybe my hands can be used for more than killing". The script is really bad.

yeah, that line is horrible. it doesn't even make any sense. that's the line your protagonist might say if they're conflicted about killing - but he seemingly has no problem killing machines because he doesn't even see them as people.

evobatman posted:

The T1000 was underpowered, it was more like an issue that needed some management instead of a lethal threat.

definitely. i can only assume it's because it had been operating for so long.

Stugazi posted:

yeah, i think he offered to nanomachine them or whatever because he had fond memories of them

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Stugazi posted:

Rest of cast was weak except Arnold and JK Rowling.

I definitely would go see this movie if she was in it

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
like, it's basically a 2015 terminator film. good fx, cool action, and then it's got a love story by the numbers 101 and a evil space baby antagonist - why can't that fucker go back to mass effect where he belongs

sure, hearing the terminator theme again is really good, but it kind of demonstrates the issue with the film. the terminator theme is haunting and melancholic - it's the world is going to end music. it doesn't fit in a movie where they basically drive off into the sunset and no one really suffers any permanent issues as a result of their battle to destroy genisys

more importantly, the bit where young kyle was OH COOL I GOT GENISYS for his birthday was just weird. why would a kid be so excited about some sort of cloud program?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jul 2, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is it referred to as Megadrivys in Europe?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Realistically I totally understand why they wouldn't want to commit to making this movie and it's sequels all 1990s period pieces but man did their garbage time machine raise just endless questions in my head with how much it messes up the plot. I can't even finish writing this because I keep changing what my main complaint is!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Tenzarin posted:

Holy poo poo, that movie sounds good.

It is pretty legit, you should watch it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OldSenileGuy posted:

I don't know where you get that idea, since if anything this movie has had anti-hype. It's looked like total poo poo since the first pictures were released, and everyone's reactions so far seem to be "it wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be."

To be fair that is also an accurate description of the new TMNT film.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
There is a part in this movie where we see the main cast taking jail intake photos with "bad boys bad boys whatcha gon' do" song playing over it.

I'm not loving kidding. There is a Cops joke in this.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 2, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Terminator G has got to be the biggest surprise of the year. It's not as good as Salvation, but much better than T2.

Firstborn posted:

There is a part in this movie where we see the main cast taking jail intake photos with "bad boys bad boys whatcha gon' do" song playing over it.

T2 had a Bad To The Bone joke, lest we forget.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
/\/\/\/\ Are we closer in 2015 to Cops being relevant, or were we closer in the year T2 came out to George Thurogood being cool fartrock?

I expected a little more tact from you, SMG.

E: Arnold was fun in this movie, but some of the dialogue will result in projectile vomit. There's some cool Terminator fights and Arnold has some funny little things to say, but whenever this movie starts trying to sell you on their concept of time travel it feels every bit of it's length. The homages to previous movies are just tired at this point. There's some REAL "let's just do this t2 scene again" garbage like what happened in T3. When Arnold is on-screen it's fun, and is forgiven for that, but the loss of his presence is immediately felt whenever Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke have to share a scene where they go "what us get together?! ew!"
E: WHen it's just Jai and Emilia on-screen, it feels like you could be watching a Sy-Fy movie.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 2, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Terminator G has got to be the biggest surprise of the year. It's not as good as Salvation, but much better than T2.

I rewatched salvation this weekend, that movie still fits in for me. It shows the war, just what needed to be seen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Firstborn posted:

That was weird, but the weirdest scene was the bullet loading race thing. I didn't understand why that was funny. I guess the Terminator's hand locking up was kind of funny, but it just didn't feel right.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Firstborn posted:

/\/\/\/\ Are we closer in 2015 to Cops being relevant, or were we closer in the year T2 came out to George Thurogood being cool fartrock?

Cops is still on the air, I guess the parody of it ended (Reno 911) like six years ago. T2 was 9 years from that song coming out but it was referenced a whole bunch too.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

CelticPredator posted:

That was weird, but the weirdest scene was the bullet loading race thing. I didn't understand why that was funny. I guess the Terminator's hand locking up was kind of funny, but it just didn't feel right.

Robot arthritis. Just replace Courtney and Arnold with Deniro and Stiller, and then replace the bullet loading thing with something like chopping wood or opening jars or something. It was a "you're not good enough for my daughter, i am still the man of the house" gag.

E: I've seen Salvation maybe twice, and not recently. The 30 minutes or whatever they spend on the war in this movie is much better than whatever is shown in Salvation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Counterpoint: BOLOs :getin:

I think The Matrix's tentacle Sentinels and Interstellar's TARS/CASE bush robots are another counterpoint. Getting stuck on human morphology in an ever-adapting world is just romanticism.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Poor Kyle Reese. The future sucks, and there are no video games, so in between all the fighting and eating protein-rich sludge he has nothing to do but crunches and chin-ups. Seriously he is yoked in this movie for no goddamn reason.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

Weren't they drumming to the beat? Kind of showing, along with the Sarah Conner pictures on the wall, how Pops had gradually become more human?

I also really appreciated the "old, but not obsolete. yet." thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Firstborn posted:

No joke, it actually is an incredibly surreal fuckin movie. There's so much shape-changing, and the effects are fantastic.

Unlike certain other films released this year, it's very well shot and edited. And it's perfectly self-contained; instead of functioning like a feature-length trailer, they simply include enough unresolved issues to make it quite dark. It's like a more downbeat version of Star Trek 2009.

• Locked thread