Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

BoI has always been a relatively good game in spite of itself.

Honestly the best way of the describing the game. Trying to explain the game to someone basically boils down to "if you look past all this horrible stuff, it's really a solid game. I promise!" :negative:

e: nevermind explaining to someone how you've put hundreds upon hundreds of hours into "Poop Jokes The Game™: Abortions are Hilarious".

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?

Your Computer posted:

"Poop Jokes The Game™: Abortions are Hilarious".

This needs to be the new thread title.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To be fair, abortions are pretty funny

edit: I am not a fan of thin rooms because it seems from the previews like the layouts were created with only one solution in mind (the one the creator had), which is not good game design.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Dude's favorite character is The Lost, of course he doesn't loving get what makes the game fun.

if i created a completely horseshit challenge and still got tons of people subject themselves to it over and over instead of just walking away it would be my favorite character too

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

HenryEx posted:

BoI has always been a relatively good game in spite of itself. It's just getting more... spiteful the more McMillen works on it.

Maybe this is his way of punishing the player base for data mining the Lost and hating him?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

IUG posted:

I guess I'm the only one who thinks those rooms look fun/interesting. I just didn't like that he said they're only going to be as rare as the 4x4 rooms. I was hoping they'd be more rare than that. (I also wonder how they'll work with the rest of the map, seeing as they won't be able to connect at all 4 sides, but I wonder how they'll render on the minimap).

I think they look neat. Also them being as rare as 2x2 rooms just means that I'll get tons of them in B1. :v:

Codiekitty posted:

Maybe this is his way of punishing the player base for data mining the Lost and hating him?

I can't wait to see what super secret thing in Afterbirth gets datamined and the inevitable aneurysm it will cause him.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've resigned myself to never even playing The Lost because it's too drat tedious to unlock him, even with seeds. I tried once, but of course made a mistake on the last step, and now I can't be bothered. If I end up really caring that much about unlocking those last few items, I'll just rebuy it on PC during a Steam sale and cheat.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rollersnake posted:

I've resigned myself to never even playing The Lost because it's too drat tedious to unlock him, even with seeds. I tried once, but of course made a mistake on the last step, and now I can't be bothered. If I end up really caring that much about unlocking those last few items, I'll just rebuy it on PC during a Steam sale and cheat.
Even with seeds took me only one attempt. The tedious thing is actually finishing the game as The Lost :suicide:. Playing on PS4 without a quick reset is torture. I think it took me 30 resets to finally get a Dead Cat + Guppy's Tail in the first cursed room. I rolled to the Chest from there. Still have to do the Dark Room though.

These are the seeds I used:

Isaac:
PC PS4 JTMD EZPF (Must be on Normal difficulty. One mulliboom directly below the starting. Go left first to get weakened) .

Maggy:
PC ALFA 0NTS (Recommended Normal difficulty. Pyro in the first Treasure Room, adjacent to spawn).
PS4 FDRG 0CTE (Pyro in the first Treasure Room, adjacent to spawn).

Judas:
PC YR8E YXDV (Must be on Normal difficulty. Polyphemus in the first Treasure Room. Do not take devil deals, as Trinity Shield and Sacred Heart will be available in Angel Rooms. Keep the Book of Belial to insure they show up. Also, from the pills from Mom's Coin Purse (1st boss, Duke of Flies), take the orange (Health Up) then the white one (Full Health), ignore the blue ones (Speed Down)).
PS4 DMTM NRD9 (Do not making a Devil Room deal in Basement II will spawn an Angel Room with Holy Grail in Caves I. Collecting everything grant huge tears.

Isaac is like my #1 or #2 played game on PS4, I really enjoy it even when I have most of the stuff unlocked. That Platinum Trophy will be mine.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

IUG posted:

I just didn't like that he said they're only going to be as rare as the 4x4 rooms.

oh boy

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Jibo posted:

I can't wait to see what super secret thing in Afterbirth gets datamined and the inevitable aneurysm it will cause him.

I think he said if he did another lost thing it'd just be behind a ridiculous skill cap.

So people will cheat engine it instead.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Atomicated posted:

I think he said if he did another lost thing it'd just be behind a ridiculous skill cap.

So people will cheat engine it instead.

And then it'll be a character that makes the Lost look good. Like, it won't be able to take damage OR pick up items.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It's The Lost with a permanent PAC1 F1ST modifier and inability to pick up items.

/edit: he'll be called The Worst.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I like the tiny rooms. Plus, if my intuition is correct, i think that rather than muck about with the secret room spawning code a lot, Edmund will just make it so that secret rooms can connect to the tiny rooms from the thin side.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Codiekitty posted:

And then it'll be a character that makes the Lost look good. Like, it won't be able to take damage OR pick up items.

Well Lilith is blindfolded. Maybe she'll have no health like the Lost and they're just going to give her Brother Bobby and call it a day.

Not really though because they did say she'd be starting with a new item.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

If anyone is having issues with trophies unlocking on PS4, and the workaround (upload save, delete local save, download save) doesn't work, then after doing that try going into "Stats" then "Secrets".

Doing the upload / download got me the trophy for beating the chest, but it wasn't until I went into "Secrets"that the trophy for beating it without taking damage.

HTH.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I thought the Womb 2 I AM ERROR room had passages going both up to the cathedral and down to sheol? I could have sworn I've seen that before.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sanctum posted:

I thought the Womb 2 I AM ERROR room had passages going both up to the cathedral and down to sheol? I could have sworn I've seen that before.

Pretty sure the ERROR room is random, and it's the Black Market that has passages to both.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is random, but it still can happen in Womb 2 and thus would have to lead to the next floor because it always has a trap door. I have no idea whether it has both entrances though.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Jibo posted:

Well Lilith is blindfolded. Maybe she'll have no health like the Lost and they're just going to give her Brother Bobby and call it a day.
And she's unlocked by beating the new challenge: the Purest

No treasure room run to Mega Satan as the Lost :suicide:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Just got both Technology and Technology 2 for the first time! Wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.
Maybe now to get both with .5...

Also unless I see something amazing, I might skip on Afterbirth, most of the things shown just look awful to me.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Finally unlocked the Lost thanks to some of those seeds posted back a page, so thanks for that. Now I am entering a new phase of pure frustration as I try to master the Lost :(

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
Nothing sucks quite like getting Brimstone + Stopwatch on the Lost and then losing to one of the dumb ceiling hands

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I wish the game gave you some indication of how many of those loving hands were in the room. I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd wiped them all out, only to have one come down a few seconds later and send me back to the start of the floor.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Codiekitty posted:

I wish the game gave you some indication of how many of those loving hands were in the room. I can't tell you how many times I thought I'd wiped them all out, only to have one come down a few seconds later and send me back to the start of the floor.

Just... Just keep slowly moving in some direction until they stop.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just assume that there are four. Better yet, assume that you haven't beaten all of them until the doors open.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Do you still see a big shadow under Isaac? Then keep moving.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

IMJack posted:

Do you still see a big shadow under Isaac? Then keep moving.

Sometimes you can't see the shadow I guess. Ariong had it right with the doors still being closed. Pretty true for any room on any floor - if you think you've won but the doors are closed, just keep moving slowly.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So after half a year or so I finally got over the PS4/Vita version eating half my progress on this game and got back into playing it to get platinum god. I've got all the hard stuff out of the way and all that's left really is running all the chars to the chest/dark room but I can't for the life of me get the bandage girl/meat boy achievement. What's the "best" method of cheesing it? I read the following strategy and gave it a whirl but couldn't get sharp plug or habit to pop after getting pyromaniac.

Reroll Item Room 1 until you get Pyromaniac.
You want to pick up either the Sharp Plug or the Habit before Depths/Necroplosis II.
Afterwards, enter a room with enemies that shoot explosions, so you can charge the D6 up. Keep rerolling until you get something like Dr. Fetus.
You basically have infinite rerolls now as long as you can hurt yourself somehow, so reroll until you get Monster manual, and do the same thing until you spawn 4 Meat Cubes.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

flyboi posted:

So after half a year or so I finally got over the PS4/Vita version eating half my progress on this game and got back into playing it to get platinum god. I've got all the hard stuff out of the way and all that's left really is running all the chars to the chest/dark room but I can't for the life of me get the bandage girl/meat boy achievement. What's the "best" method of cheesing it? I read the following strategy and gave it a whirl but couldn't get sharp plug or habit to pop after getting pyromaniac.

You want to pick up either the Sharp Plug or the Habit before Depths/Necroplosis II.
Afterwards, enter a room with enemies that shoot explosions, so you can charge the D6 up. Keep rerolling until you get something like Dr. Fetus.
You basically have infinite rerolls now as long as you can hurt yourself somehow, so reroll until you get Monster manual, and do the same thing until you spawn 4 Meat Cubes.

How did you lose half your progress?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Vic Boss posted:

How did you lose half your progress?

Back when the upload/download stuff wasn't separated the game overwrote my save and I lost all my clears on 7/10 characters because it reverted to a really, really ancient save.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

flyboi posted:

Yeah I think that's pretty much the most reliable way to get it but there's so much luck involved that it's going to be frustrating no matter what method you use. My successful run went:
- Pyromaniac
- Rerolled shop items until I got Sharp Plug
- Rerolled treasure room items until I found something explosive (I got Pyro which gave me 99 bombs then I used those to reroll until I found Ipecac. I couldn't find any judgement cards in my run but it would probably help to spawn a beggar in the treasure room if you can so you can reroll two items at a time instead of one)
- Rerolled a treasure room for like 20 minutes until I got the Monster Manual
- Used Monster Manual repeatedly for like 15 minutes until I got bandage girl/meat boy

If you find a Book of Revelation while restarting for Pyromaniac it's worth trying to get the achievements the actual intended way but it never worked out for me

I'm kind of surprised there was never any kind of patch to make it less of a nightmare

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Rorus Raz posted:

And she's unlocked by beating the new challenge: the Purest

No treasure room run to Mega Satan as the Lost :suicide:

This post made me wince.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.
Placenta + Sharp Plug + D6 + lots of free time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Looking forward to the new achievement where you have to assemble Meat Boy and Bandage Girl as the Lost

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I did it! First try I got epic fetus and sharp plug on the first floor "pfft I'll find the stupid pyromaniac somewhere" wasted almost 2 hours on a single play, had 9 items in one room in the first area of the chest and notta. Ended up dying and tried again. An hour later pyromaniac shows up and sharp plug on the second floor. Rolling like a raver in the caves I ended up with the wafer. Getting worried once I hit The Depths 1 I came across a secret room and rolled the item into pyro which gave me enough bombs to re-roll the treasure room into epic fetus. Once I came across a boss room I killed it. Literally the game crashed after I got the achievements and taking a screenshot.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Just beat The Boss Rush and Satan as The Lost. Feels good.

Best advice I can give for the lost is to prioritize your money/bombs/keys so you can check the shop on every level and maybe raid your donation machine if there's a stopwatch you can't afford. The stopwatch is mostly lies though, it doesn't actually slow down enemies in the game. It makes some enemies slow, but any lasers or enemies with non-standard movement (mostly tunneling/dropping from the ceiling) movement enemies will still act at 100% speed, so just treat everyone like they could still move at full speed and you'll be ok.

The most unpopular advice I can give is to just play The Lost when you're at your peak, and don't reroll waiting for perfect items. The Lost is basically a character that makes grinding a completely unenjoyable affair, so just play when you feel there's a chance you could actually no-hit your way through the Depths regardless of lucky items. As soon as I stopped rerolling for Dead Cats or Holy Mantles, I started getting impressive runs and hating the Lost a little less. It's still luck based, but even the best Nethack players only have a 60% winrate on random. If The Lost has a 10% winrate based on luck and stellar play, you can't waste ten in ten games feeling burnt out and from rerolling your starting items for 30+ minutes.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
After struggling mightily with the Lost for weeks before getting godhead, some bizarre universe Karma made it so it took me only about an hour and a half cumulatively to get both super bandage girl and super meat boy for RPG, one attempt each doing the straightforward Book of Revelations path. Deaths on the womb one after the other. Does conquest actually show up more often than death once you use the book?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've heard people saying they can walk over spikes and into curse rooms with Breath of Life, but I can't make it work. I hold space, it's ticking down, but I still take damage from spikes and curse rooms.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You have to do it when the invincibility would normally apply, in the second or so after draining the charge where Isaac is blue and can't be hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

I've heard people saying they can walk over spikes and into curse rooms with Breath of Life, but I can't make it work. I hold space, it's ticking down, but I still take damage from spikes and curse rooms.

Just don't ever use breath of life. Problem solved.