Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Well, that's going to make things interesting.

No, This is going to make things interesting. Turkey claims it's sending in ground forces - but not for the reason you'd expect:

quote:

Turkey Plans to Invade Syria, But to Stop the Kurds, Not ISIS

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is planning a military intervention into northern Syria to prevent Syrian Kurds from forming their own state there, despite concerns among his own generals and possible criticism from Washington and other NATO allies, according to reports in both pro- and anti-government media.

In a speech last Friday, Erdogan vowed that Turkey would not accept a move by Syrian Kurds to set up their own state in Syria following gains by Kurdish fighters against the so-called Islamic State, or ISIS, in recent weeks. “I am saying this to the whole world: We will never allow the establishment of a state on our southern border in the north of Syria,” Erdogan said. “We will continue our fight in that respect whatever the cost may be.” He accused Syrian Kurds of ethnic cleansing in Syrian areas under their control.

The daily Hurriyet reported Erdogan and Davutoglu wanted to “kill two birds with one stone” with a military intervention along the Mare Line. One aim would be to drive ISIS away from the Turkish border, depriving the jihadists of their last foothold on the frontier and thereby cutting off supply lines. Such a move would tie in with the U.S. strategy to contain and weaken ISIS.

A second goal of the operation would be closer to Ankara’s own interests. The English-language Hurriyet Daily News quoted one source saying there was a need to “prevent the PYD from taking full control over the Turkish-Syrian border,” and also to create a zone on Syrian territory rather than in Turkey to take in new waves of refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

No, This is going to make things interesting. Turkey claims it's sending in ground forces - but not for the reason you'd expect:

Erdogan also wanted to invade northern Iraq for the same thing. God drat Turkish military broke with tradition by not having a coup to get rid of his islamist rear end.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Couldn't they try to prop up a Kurdish state across Iraq and Syria in exchange for said state hoovering up troublesome separatists from their own territory or something? That seems like it'd be productive.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

Couldn't they try to prop up a Kurdish state across Iraq and Syria in exchange for said state hoovering up troublesome separatists from their own territory or something? That seems like it'd be productive.

A sensible solution would be an affront to Sacred Turkish Honor.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

Totally read this with Greece in mind and was like "Wait, what?" for a few seconds.
Now that would have been interesting. :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I genuinely hope the Kurds come out of this with a state, they seem like cool dudes who have gotten poo poo on for too long.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bitcoin bastard posted:

I genuinely hope the Kurds come out of this with a state, they seem like cool dudes who have gotten poo poo on for too long.

Turkey won't allow that. They'll go all Armenian first and not give a gently caress what anyone else thinks.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
How are India/US relations?

Imagine this: Someone goes all Tom Clancy and takes away Pakistan's big boy toys because they're about as stable as nitroglycerine. The US gets all buddy buddy with India, start funneling all kinds of poo poo to them as part of Operation gently caress China, and gives them the go-ahead to scourge the endemic stink of corruption out of Pakistan. Tell Afghanistan to suck a dick, unass that lovely little country so fast the sonic boom destroys half of the country's hovels, have fun continuing to be a roaring trash fire of crushing inconsequentiality. Keep laughing hysterically while Iran hurls bales of cash into their enrichment black hole, tell them to call us in 20 years when someone guts the ayatollahs with dull knives. Supply the Kurds with enough arms and money to carve giant chunks out of every surrounding country and recognize Kurdistan, build bases there to give the bearded ninjas some hunting preserves, and don't forget to add some runways so we can blow up as many weddings/funerals/etc as possible to give the RPA dudes "PTSD".

I've got to think about what exactly we could do to gently caress with all the lovely little loving countries like Yemen, Oman, UAE, the Saudis, etc that would make them absolutely lose their collective poo poo. Increase materiel and monetary funding for Israel, hold a contest to see how many war crimes they can commit in a 24 hour period? Maybe take the money we're using to prop up Egypt so they don't gently caress with the Suez, and instead give it to the Israelis on the condition that they have to ensure the canal stays open and the ships unharmed.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
My family's company does a lot of business in India. No matter how much free poo poo you give to the Indians there is no cohesive central government like there is in China and it's so ridiculously corrupt it makes the PRC look like a Nordic country.

Any defense technology or production technology would just get hemorrhaged out and sold off in about 15 seconds flat.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here's an article about the South's confederacy fetish in the Washington Post that I'm currently using to troll people on facebook.

quote:

Perhaps most perniciously, neo-Confederates now claim that the South seceded for states’ rights. When each state left the Union, its leaders made clear that they were seceding because they were for slavery and against states’ rights. In its “Declaration Of The Causes Which Impel The State Of Texas To Secede From The Federal Union,” for example, the secession convention of Texas listed the states that had offended them: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Iowa. These states had in fact exercised states’ rights by passing laws that interfered with the federal government’s attempts to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act. Some also no longer let slaveowners “transit” through their states with their slaves. “States’ rights” were what Texas was seceding against. Texas also made clear what it was seceding for: white supremacy.

We hold as undeniable truths that the governments of the various States, and of the confederacy itself, were established exclusively by the white race, for themselves and their posterity; that the African race had no agency in their establishment; that they were rightfully held and regarded as an inferior and dependent race, and in that condition only could their existence in this country be rendered beneficial or tolerable.

Despite such statements, during and after the Nadir, neo-Confederates put up monuments that flatly lied about the Confederate cause. For example, South Carolina’s monument at Gettysburg, dedicated in 1965, claims to explain why the state seceded: “Abiding faith in the sacredness of states rights provided their creed here.” This tells us nothing about 1863, when abiding opposition to states’ rights as claimed by free states provided South Carolinians’ creed. In 1965, however, its leaders did support states’ rights. Indeed, they were desperately trying to keep the federal government from enforcing school desegregation and civil rights. The one constant was that the leaders of South Carolina in 1860 and 1965 were acting on behalf of white supremacy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

annapacketstormaya posted:

Israelis didn't develop nukes for nothing :sherman:

They didn't. We gave them what they needed when Edward Teller went to Israel and told them everything they needed to know.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

psydude posted:

Here's an article about the South's confederacy fetish in the Washington Post that I'm currently using to troll people on facebook.

Several seceding states published such letters saying the same poo poo. They're all available online.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Several seceding states published such letters saying the same poo poo. They're all available online.

You figure both the Cornerstone Speech, the Secession Speeches, and the Second Confederate Flag designer's statements would be enough...

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

CommieGIR posted:

You figure both the Cornerstone Speech, the Secession Speeches, and the Second Confederate Flag designer's statements would be enough...

You can't wake someone who's pretending to be asleep.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
A good kick to the face works pretty well :sherman:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

My family's company does a lot of business in India. No matter how much free poo poo you give to the Indians there is no cohesive central government like there is in China and it's so ridiculously corrupt it makes the PRC look like a Nordic country.

Any defense technology or production technology would just get hemorrhaged out and sold off in about 15 seconds flat.

When your country's corruption is so bad it has its own Wikipedia page, that's a special kind of corrupt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_India

On a unrelated note, many Indian villages oppose using toilets: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...3f5c_story.html

BigDave fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 1, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A robot at a german VW plant killed a man.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/world-news/robot-kills-man-berlin-volkswagen-plant

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:stare:
Skynet is real.

Also what a lovely way to go.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Skynet is real.

Also what a lovely way to go.

It would be so poetic if the ground floor is a German manufacturing plant.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Just FYI, the first man killed by a robot was Kenji Urada in 1981.

quote:

Urada was maintenance engineer at a Kawasaki Heavy Industries plant. While working on a broken robot, he failed to turn it off completely, resulting in the robot pushing him into a grinding machine with its hydraulic arm.

He's the John Birch of the Robot Wars.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Would.

:v: Wrong thread?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lockout-tagout is a thing for a reason.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MrYenko posted:

Lockout-tagout is a thing for a reason.

Never underestimate willful ignorance of safety precautions by workers. The USCSB has a goldmine of incident rundowns online:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXIkr0SRTnZO4_QpZozvCCA

Groups of professionals can do dumb stuff with bad consequences. One of my favorites: Pipe has leak, firefighters try to identify leak by prying off insulation with picks, causing a small explosion. Firefighters contain the fire then try to blast off the remaining insulation with fire hoses. Then things go really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiILbGbk8Qk

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Never underestimate willful ignorance of safety precautions by workers.

'Rules just exist to slow me down and get me in trouble'
-Every worker in a safety conscious environment

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Never underestimate willful ignorance of safety precautions by workers. The USCSB has a goldmine of incident rundowns online:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXIkr0SRTnZO4_QpZozvCCA

Groups of professionals can do dumb stuff with bad consequences. One of my favorites: Pipe has leak, firefighters try to identify leak by prying off insulation with picks, causing a small explosion. Firefighters contain the fire then try to blast off the remaining insulation with fire hoses. Then things go really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiILbGbk8Qk

that rundown is probably the best i've ever seen of a post-incident report.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
USCSB videos own.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

that rundown is probably the best i've ever seen of a post-incident report.

They have a great one on what happened at Deepwater Horizon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCVCOWejlag

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I get that people don't want to shut off production or whatever because they're scared a bunch of retarded MBAs will descend upon them and "realign" their position, but god drat I can't imagine any situation where "Hey, this pipe is leaking highly volatile hydrocarbons. Let's poke it with metal poles and then shoot it with high pressure hoses without turning it off" is preferable to not losing my life.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 2, 2015

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The fire crew at my company oversteps their role and jumps into maintenance all the time. I can totally see some firechief going all "Man these nerds and their 'safety'. I got dis."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A friend worked on crews that did periodic refinery inspections for a bit until the money stopped being enough to ease his conscience about what he saw going unreported or flat covered up.

oil_industry.txt

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
This on the job death spun my head.

quote:

Truls Hellevik, a diver undergoing decompression aboard the oil rig Byford Dolphin was accidentally exposed to an eight-atmosphere change in air pressure, leading to instantaneous massive expansion of his internal bodily gasses, causing him to explode into many small parts which rained down upon the rig; official investigation of the incident led to changes in some diving-bell resurfacing procedures.

bloops fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 2, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

holocaust bloopers posted:

This on the job death spun my head.

:psyboom:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Byford Dolphin incident is probably the best known example of explosive decompression. Hellevik didn't just undergo an 8 atmosphere change, his body was forced through a two foot gap.

quote:

The normal procedure would have been:

Close the bell door.
The diving supervisor would then slightly increase the bell pressure to seal this door tightly.
Close the door between the trunk and chamber 1.
Slowly depressurize the trunk to 1 atmosphere.
Open the clamp to separate the bell from the chamber system.
The first two steps had been completed when, for an unknown reason, one of the tenders opened the clamp before D4 could close the door to the chamber. This resulted in the explosive decompression of the unsealed chamber. Air rushed out of the chamber with tremendous force, jamming the interior trunk door and pushing the bell away, striking the two tenders. The tender who opened the clamp was killed while the other was severely injured.

Coward, Lucas, and Bergersen were exposed to the effects of explosive decompression and died in the positions indicated by the diagram. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined Hellevik, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient and in the process of moving to secure the inner door, was forced through the 60 centimetres (24 in) in diameter opening created by the jammed interior trunk door by escaping air and violently dismembered, including bisection of the thoracoabdominal cavity which further resulted in expulsion of all internal organs of the chest and abdomen except the trachea and a section of small intestine and of the thoraccic spine and projecting them some distance, one section later being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.[5]

His remains:
http://i.imgur.com/e7k20Ro.jpg :nws:

Airlock setup:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
That whole incident is nightmare fuel. At least they died instantaneously.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
"Violently dismembered" is a severe understatement.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Jesus, turned him into Hamburger.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

I get that people don't want to shut off production or whatever because they're scared a bunch of retarded MBAs will descend upon them and "realign" their position, but god drat I can't imagine any situation where "Hey, this pipe is leaking highly volatile hydrocarbons. Let's poke it with metal poles and then shoot it with high pressure hoses without turning it off" is preferable to not losing my life.

this is why i'm glad the firefighting teams on most ships are the engineers, we at least know what we're looking at

my eyes started bulging when that video mentioned the piping had been installed in 1976, gently caress me sideways

not to mention the fact that 640 degrees freedom is well over the autoignition point for a diesel-like substance or indeed most oils, why they didn't shut it down on the spot is beyond me

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Um. Thanks for this gbs.

quote:

Carrey has been an activist on the issue since his relationship with Jenny McCarthy

Jim Carrey left his 14 million Twitter followers in no doubt about his feelings on California’s tough new vaccination law on Tuesday.

The actor believes there is a link between vaccines and autism. He branded California Gov. Jerry Brown a “corporate fascist” after he signed into law one of the strictest immunization programs in the country earlier in the day.

Jim Carrey is a loving anti-vaxxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

ded posted:

Jim Carrey is a loving anti-vaxxer.
:sigh:

• Locked thread