Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Discendo Vox posted:

This is the greatest phrase I have ever encountered. Thank you.

I stole it from Charles Pierce, who also coined referring to Newt exclusively as The Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces, based on the old Newt doodle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Joementum posted:

The Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces
Christ, I forgot about that.

Even with Donald loving Trump in the running, there's a way to go before this race becomes as much of a circus as 2012.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Peter King has ruled out a run for President.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Joementum posted:

Human bowling jacket Paul LePage managed to talk for three minutes today without threatening to assassinate a Democrat and, in those minutes, endorsed Chris Christie, mostly because Christie got him re-elected.

wait howd he do that

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

PupsOfWar posted:

wait howd he do that

Christie was chairman of the Republican Governors Association during the 2014 cycle and had discretion over disbursements of funding to campaigns. He also stumped for LePage in Maine.

(But, yes, the real reason LePage got reelected was that idiot Eliot Cutler, not anything Christie did.)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PupsOfWar posted:

wait howd he do that

Chris Christie lost all the weight, donned a wig, and ran under the pseudonym "Elliot Cutler" in the Maine gubernatorial race.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

And nothing of value was lost.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Where's the loving signature Trump? Also pants made by rapists.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Trump was actually called out on that in a CNN interview the other day. His response was the old "well, see, I have to do it in order to stay competitive, because of bad US economic policy" routine.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Honestly if you think where your clothes are made are 100% a reflection on the quality of said garment then you are a chump.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I have a friend who was very concerned about Donald Trump in 2012 and was wondering how the country could be so screwed that he was a serious contender in the primaries. I had to explain to her all the reasons why there was no way in hell Trump would make it out of the primary and why him joining the race is actually a hilarious thing. Towards the end of the primaries she started to see what I meant. This election, she's laughing with me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Madison is Bernin' tonight.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Three Olives posted:

There have been rumors for a long time that Trump's inflow/outflow was incredibly precarious and that he basically begged NBC to keep The Apprentice because he needed the cash coming in.

How funny would it be if he starts having major financial problems after the losses of the NBC and Macy's contracts.

Lawrence O'Donnell has said this about Trump for years.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Vertical Lime posted:

How about Trump showing a supposed letter of the head of NBC liking a hotel of his

https://instagram.com/p/4nAMoWmhZ3/

But they had a positive view of me what happened :qq:

I'm confused, did the NBC guy write a paragraph about great it was that the staff was openly racist and that there wasn't a single Mexican there to rape him and it just got cut off by the square Instagram edit?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Jindal's tech team may not understand just how this whole internet thing works, with the facebooks and twitters and whatnot.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So other than Carson has any candidate wished us Canadians happiness today?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

What kind of sick bastard ruins guacamole with any form of peas anyway? :mexico:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Scyantific posted:

What kind of sick bastard ruins guacamole with any form of peas anyway? :mexico:

More or less what Obama and Bush are both saying, yeah.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Quote of the afternoon - "Well, somebody's doing the raping, Don! I mean somebody's doing it! Who's doing the raping? Who's doing the raping?" ~You-know-who

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

DaveWoo posted:

Trump was actually called out on that in a CNN interview the other day. His response was the old "well, see, I have to do it in order to stay competitive, because of bad US economic policy" routine.

Problem is even when the option exists to buy american just small price differences has people buying the made in china/mexico thing every time. Clothing is also one of the few things that has become cheaper over the years that's not a tech product, so people aren't really complaining about it either.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Jindal's tech team may not understand just how this whole internet thing works, with the facebooks and twitters and whatnot.

His campaign is amazingly bad, he's apparently learned nothing since 08.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Problem is even when the option exists to buy american just small price differences has people buying the made in china/mexico thing every time. Clothing is also one of the few things that has become cheaper over the years that's not a tech product, so people aren't really complaining about it either.

It doesn't help that at least a couple of generations now have grown during a time when "American Made" is synonymous with "pile of crap".

I was born in 1983 and I have a hard time imagining buying a car made by an "American" company regardless of the merits of the actual vehicle itself.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hey the best foreign sedans are American made, like the all new Hyundai Sonata.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

greatn posted:

Hey the best foreign sedans are American made, like the all new Hyundai Sonata.

American made means nothing when it comes to cars. My old Pontiac was made in Mexico, my wife's Acura was made in Indiana.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

That's why I put American in quotes.

The point I was making is that a lot of cars that American car companies were putting out when I was growing up were hot garbage and that perception tends to stick in your mind even though things may change.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Three Olives posted:

I'm confused, did the NBC guy write a paragraph about great it was that the staff was openly racist and that there wasn't a single Mexican there to rape him and it just got cut off by the square Instagram edit?

I'm guessing the letter predates Trumps comments on Mexican rapists.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Skwirl posted:

I'm guessing the letter predates Trumps comments on Mexican rapists.

No poo poo, sherlock

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Because it's not normally a small price difference. A lot of the consumer goods made in the US right now are artisan stuff which means that it costs more to make and there's usually a significant profit margin on top of it because it costs more to make.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool
I work at Macys and apparently one of our managers received a phone call from a "group of 160 seniors" who were going to cut up their macys cards in response to the news. We are a smaller store and only carry a few of trump 's dress shirts, but they're all supposed to go on the clearance track tomorrow. :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Somewhere a group of 160 seniors shreds their loving medicare cards and America is the better for having lost eight score shitheads.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

His campaign is amazingly bad, he's apparently learned nothing since 08.

While true, I suspect he's learned nothing for much longer than that.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I wonder exactly how much damage Trump has done to his brand so far. I mean any sort of deal with Trump right now has to feel like it is going to be toxic at least near term.

Surely his naming contracts have outs for if the Trump brand came to be known as ill repute.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 2, 2015

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Three Olives posted:

I wonder exactly how much damage Trump has done to his brand so far. I mean any sort of deal with Trump right now has to feel like it is going to be toxic at least near term.

Surely his naming contracts have outs for if the Trump brand came to be known as ill repute.

He has done no damage, bad news only causes Trump to grow stronger and his supporters to swell. Trump could punt a Mexican baby tomorrow and he would gain 3 points in the polls.

The only thing that will ever damage Trumps brand is if someone can irrefutably prove his net worth isn't even half of what he claims it is.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

FIRST TIME posted:

That's why I put American in quotes.

The point I was making is that a lot of cars that American car companies were putting out when I was growing up were hot garbage and that perception tends to stick in your mind even though things may change.

Since the '90s, American cars have been pretty competitive quality-wise in their price brackets. Hell, my family somehow stumbled into owning nothing but Fords and none of them have had any issues despite being driven into the ground (Outside of a wonky transmission on my dad's 2007 Freestyle that was covered by the warranty, and even then he's put 250K+ miles on the drat thing without anything else but minor problems). Unless a car has actual substantiated problems, I wouldn't discount three of the largest automakers in the world just because they made some shitboxes in the '80s.

(Granted, I might be slightly defensive since I grew up in Michigan and I'm sure every single one of my friends either works or has family who works for the auto industry in some capacity.)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Nastier Nate posted:

He has done no damage, bad news only causes Trump to grow stronger and his supporters to swell. Trump could punt a Mexican baby tomorrow and he would gain 3 points in the polls.

The only thing that will ever damage Trumps brand is if someone can irrefutably prove his net worth isn't even half of what he claims it is.

He's not just getting unfavorable headlines, businesses are actually closing off relationships with him. Do you think he'd take the time to appear on The Apprentice if it wasn't worth something to him?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

I stole it from Charles Pierce, who also coined referring to Newt exclusively as The Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces, based on the old Newt doodle.

I read Pierce, but I never 'got' the 'human bowling jacket' one.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Voyager I posted:

He's not just getting unfavorable headlines, businesses are actually closing off relationships with him. Do you think he'd take the time to appear on The Apprentice if it wasn't worth something to him?

My theory is that many of his supporters, who never bought a crappy Trump button-up or tie in their life, because...why would you?, will make sure that their next clothing purchase will be from the Trump line.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The Nastier Nate posted:

My theory is that many of his supporters, who never bought a crappy Trump button-up or tie in their life, because...why would you?, will make sure that their next clothing purchase will be from the Trump line.

What percentage of Trump supporters do you suppose wear a tie on a regular basis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bernie's event in Madison tonight set a record for 2016 candidate events with over 10,000 attendees.

richardfun posted:

I read Pierce, but I never 'got' the 'human bowling jacket' one.

It evokes the image of a very particular type of American man, which LePage embodies better than anyone.

• Locked thread