Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

screamname posted:

I can't help but love this colour. It feels so nostalgic to me....

I'm ready for the downpour of insults for saying that....... :words:

Dude, that color is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"Man, I'm hungry. We should go to Walmart and pick up a bag of chips."
"Two bags! But do you have enough room though?"
"Oh, you're right. Better bring the GT3 for the second bag."

also my white balance was fucky, the GT3 was Mexico Blue.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Diametunim posted:

All this talk about purple cars and you all fail to post the one car that matters, the Plymouth Prowler. It's such an ugly car :negative:

When I was a kid my step-dad bought a Prowler... instead of the Viper they also had for sale at almost the same price.

Probably wrong thread for that little story.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Shrapnig posted:

When I was a kid my step-dad bought a Prowler... instead of the Viper they also had for sale at almost the same price.

Probably wrong thread for that little story.

I worked with an old guy who had one. He loved it, although I believe that 40's hot rod look was extremely his poo poo when he was a kid.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
We can look back at the Prowler now and mock it, but that thing was poo poo hot in the 90's. It wasn't a race car, it was a Sunday cruiser and is perfect for that.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

VikingSkull posted:

We can look back at the Prowler now and mock it, but that thing was poo poo hot in the 90's. It wasn't a race car, it was a Sunday cruiser and is perfect for that.

It's still impressive considering what it had. Double A arm front suspension, 250ish horsepower in the 99 and later models, a transaxle for 50-50 weight distribution and it only weighed 2800 pounds. 0-60 for the later models was sub 6 seconds.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr-Spain posted:

It's still impressive considering what it had. Double A arm front suspension, 250ish horsepower in the 99 and later models, a transaxle for 50-50 weight distribution and it only weighed 2800 pounds. 0-60 for the later models was sub 6 seconds.

Personal opinions on the styling aside, the only really terrible thing with it was the woeful Chrysler 4-speed auto. I get that the target market for it would never buy a manual option even if it were available, but even a not-awful auto would have been something.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Has anyone ever managed to swap, say, a 440 or modern Hemi into a Prowler? Because that would be loving awesome and solve a lot of the problems I have with it :v:

Like, no joke, I'd DD the poo poo out of a Prowler sporting a big rear end V8 and hotrod style sidepipes and not even be slightly ashamed.

e: Oh god someone put a 6.1L Hemi in one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJvc7SEQXzE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've always liked the prowler, never seen one in person. It strikes me as one of those cars that was so perfect in theory and so very easy to execute to absolute perfection but, unfortunately, the blueprint was on a Chrysler desk.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Slavvy posted:

I've always liked the prowler, never seen one in person. It strikes me as one of those cars that was so perfect in theory and so very easy to execute to absolute perfection but, unfortunately, the blueprint was on a Chrysler desk.

close, it was designed by Chip Foose

blk
Dec 19, 2009
The Prowler was a super cool design exercise. They really hosed it up with the 4AT.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
They knew their target really well. The transmission was poo poo but when you've had the car 20 years nearly and have 10k on the clock it hardly matters

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A guy at my office used to daily drive one. It's a weird looking car in person. I never once saw him drive it with the roof down even though it's permanently 75 degrees and not-raining here.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Shame about that hood scoop. I would drive the poo poo out of that, though.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
One of the biggest issues, in my mind, is that the design was so poorly thought out that the car had dangerous amounts of front lift at 110-115MPH. To me the Prowler was a shameless design exercise meant to capture dollars from boomers, with no further thought put into it. They shoved whatever dropped out of the parts bin when they shook it and called it good.

The Challenger has the balls and engineering to back its throwback design, so despite being on a platform that would support an aircraft carrier I can't fault it too much.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Das Volk posted:

One of the biggest issues, in my mind, is that the design was so poorly thought out that the car had dangerous amounts of front lift at 110-115MPH. To me the Prowler was a shameless design exercise meant to capture dollars from boomers, with no further thought put into it. They shoved whatever dropped out of the parts bin when they shook it and called it good.

The Challenger has the balls and engineering to back its throwback design, so despite being on a platform that would support an aircraft carrier I can't fault it too much.

The Audi TT had similar issues. Where the TT had a legitimate answer to the question of "why are you going so fast in an Audi TT??", being a German car, I don't think anybody even thought to ask that question of the Prowler.

Superuser008
Feb 7, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Has anyone ever managed to swap, say, a 440 or modern Hemi into a Prowler? Because that would be loving awesome and solve a lot of the problems I have with it :v:

Like, no joke, I'd DD the poo poo out of a Prowler sporting a big rear end V8 and hotrod style sidepipes and not even be slightly ashamed.

This showed up in the suggested/related videos for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9LFgsLQATc

Dear god, that sound...

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

T1g4h posted:

I passed a red one in east Atlanta the other day that had a vanity plate that said something to the effect of "HOT ROD", being manned by a pair of late 20's guys. It sounded and looked stock, with the exception of the big Georgia Bulldogs magnet plastered on the side. First time I've ever seen one on the loose.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

screamname
Apr 6, 2015

Sigma X posted:

Dude, that color is awesome.

Phew!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Well, my friend just ran a 1:48.2 damp lap on the Top Gear track (not bad for damp conditions and a stick on the wrong side), and in two weeks is going to be spending a few days on the Nürburgring in the middle of a cross-Europe tour in a V wagon. Hell of a vacation.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Diametunim posted:

All this talk about purple cars and you all fail to post the one car that matters, the Plymouth Prowler. It's such an ugly car :negative:

I dated a girl in LA who's dad had a yellow prowler. He let me drive it once and I was really disappointed with it. Wasn't any faster than my MR2, turned like a shopping cart and the seats were designed for someone with scoliosis.

In reality it was the perfect example of 1990s MOPAR

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Phy posted:

also my white balance was fucky, the GT3 was Mexico Blue.
You mean these cars aren't white and gold?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

That thing looks slow as hell and fun as hell.

I would bet money that every person who has ever driven it has imagined themselves as an angry god.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
And it swims!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk8W-tiZDy8

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is that the same machine that Ford used in their round-the-world expedition in the early 90s, with a fleet of Mavericks and 4x4 Mondeos?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Where we're going we don't need roads. :frogc00l:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Is that the same machine that Ford used in their round-the-world expedition in the early 90s, with a fleet of Mavericks and 4x4 Mondeos?

I remember reading that in some magazine, and at time thinking the first gen Mondeo's were the poo poo.

That tracked thing, however :aaaaa:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

I remember reading that in some magazine, and at time thinking the first gen Mondeo's were the poo poo.

That tracked thing, however :aaaaa:
Did you watch the TV series they did following it all?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbuiXWKBS-s

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Never realised there was a TV series about it! Managed to find the full thing on YouTube, definitely watching the next week, cheers!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

davebo posted:

You mean these cars aren't white and gold?

Needs more Linda Vaughn

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
So apparently the guys at Roadkill challenged Mighty Car Mods and Gas Monkey Garage to some kind of build-off. The MCM guys are tossing bombs back and it looks like they are down, but GMG just blew it off.

The Roadkill crew just posted this, and it owns...

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

VikingSkull posted:

So apparently the guys at Roadkill challenged Mighty Car Mods and Gas Monkey Garage to some kind of build-off. The MCM guys are tossing bombs back and it looks like they are down, but GMG just blew it off.

gently caress. YES.

(But gently caress GMG, really)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

VikingSkull posted:

I think the GMG guys legitimately don't know about Roadkill because they're square as a box.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Gas Fucky guys are the worst. It might be the most unwatchable car show I've ever seen.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I love Roadkill. :allears:

screamname
Apr 6, 2015

VikingSkull posted:

:dance: Love this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
GMG falls into the same trap that makes Roadkill seem fresh. Aaron has legit good taste in what needs to be done to a hot rod and Richard is a funny dude with some cred (people forget he was co-pilot on a record breaking Cannonball attempt) but they just script so much bullshit that it kills the show. I bet if you put the two of them in the confines of a Roadkill type show it'd be hilarious, unfortunately the masses aren't gearheads and are easily amused.

e- also remember both GMG and Roadkill are sponsored by Dodge so this is most likely scripted bullshit to start promoting a crossover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Jaguar Land Rover indeed.