Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
My favorite part about FFXI was mandragoras who were super cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean is playing drk from the getgo really any different from playing gla from the getgo?

It's actually fairly different because DRK is markedly more complex then either of the other tank jobs. You spend a lot of time stance dancing in DRK even at low level. You don't have to, but then you lose out on a lot of efficiency and contribution that both PLD and WAR get to do by hitting 1 2 3.

In a more general sense, all three jobs are a lot more complex to play than other options for their role; it almost seems that they were designed with the assumption that a player who was max level and had done a lot of XIV content would be taking the reins and certain levels of reaction time and forethought would be expected of them. This is actually a bad thing, though, because they cannot make these jobs more powerful then existing options because it would wreck balance. That leaves you, however, with a situation where you put in more time and more effort and generally have a more difficult time playing your job while other choices in your role are performing that role just as well (or better) with markedly less effort. That is going to cause some problems in the long-term.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

My favorite part about FFXI was mandragoras who were super cute

I poo poo my pants when I saw Korrigans in Sea of Clouds and turned around out of fear :smith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I had multiple runs last night while leveling summoner where the dark knight refused to use darkside on anything but bosses and even then only barely

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

ghostinmyshell posted:

I poo poo my pants when I saw Korrigans in Sea of Clouds and turned around out of fear :smith:

Glad I wasn't the only one.

It was a fun time running around SoC babbling to my FC "oh my god DHALMELS" and before anyone could even type out "what the gently caress is a dhalmel" I started screaming incoherently about the Boyahda Tree as a bunch of repressed memories resurfaced when I saw who they were palling around with.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Blockhouse posted:

I had multiple runs last night while leveling summoner where the dark knight refused to use darkside on anything but bosses and even then only barely

I don't think you understand, they played all the content to learn things. You are in the wrong if I'm following the logic of this game.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Tenzarin posted:

I don't think you understand, they played all the content to learn things. You are in the wrong if I'm following the logic of this game.

bad players are going to be bad players stop trying to make this about your weird gated content anger

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tenzarin posted:

I loving hated red mages in FF11. The worst people played them because they knew red mages were so needed. They were basically the elitist jerks of the EQ style MMO era.

Salty DRK mad that he didn't get refresh priority over a WHM or PLD spotted.

What was awesome about about RDM or BRD is you never had to LFG for over 10 minutes and people would beg me for parties when my flag wasn't even up. Sometimes DRGs would sit there unloved for days. In your face, scrub! Git gud! :smug:

ghostinmyshell posted:

I hope all the XI transplants are in DGKK because that's where I ended up. I will nostalgia over Colibri and Mee Deggi all loving day with you.

Nah I just annoy people in PBC whenever I reminisce, maybe I should switch. A irl friend of mine is in it and I played a bit of XI with Lady Gaga \ Boten Anna and she seems cool.

But also changing to other goon FCs requires -effort- and actually posting on ffgoons

ghostinmyshell posted:

I was leveling a MRD just a while ago and I was like "maybe I should get an xp buffer so I don't de-level. Oh wait"

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Holyshoot posted:

I don't want to play with someone who takes up drk with no prior game experience. They are just going to waste my time and quit in 2 weeks anyways.

Having to do the storyline they might pick up a thing or two along the way leveling a tank class they need abilities from anyways.

Considering how many DRK horror stories we get, it's not making a difference in whether they're good at DRK or not.

Also we've had the gated content fight plenty of times in this thread, you're basically just punching someone in a bruise by bothering to bring it up. Some of us think they could cut a lot of the fat out of the 2.1-.2.55 storyline and not lose anything, some of us think rubbing perfume on a chocobo's rear end is the peak of FF storytelling, and the majority of the people in the thread couldn't give less of a poo poo. None of us are gonna change our minds.

Also posting an IGN opinion piece to make fun of is pretty much bottom tier comedy at this point. They all suck, more news at 11.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Magil Zeal posted:

I get why summoners didn't get new egis, it's just strange that the egis gained no new abilities and none of the new abilities that summoners get interact with them in any way. It's odd to me that one of the game's major pet classes would move further towards having their pet just be an extra damage source that requires little interaction/upkeep rather than blending the Egi more fully into how the class plays.

It's probably because making pets any more micro intensive than they are would be annoying and unfun.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I still think SMN would be a lot more fun if the egis just looked bigger

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bismarck EX is a really fun fight with great music. A++, would whale again.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I was leveling a MRD just a while ago and I was like "maybe I should get an xp buffer so I don't de-level. Oh wait"

What in the actual gently caress. That was a thing? I thought only roguelikes and such pulled that poo poo.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it's not a thing. that's why he said 'oh wait'.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sarrisan posted:

What in the actual gently caress. That was a thing? I thought only roguelikes and such pulled that poo poo.

The game design doc for FFXI was a napkin Tanaka drunkenly scribbled "gently caress you!" on.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Exp loss on death was very much a thing in FFXI.

There were different levels of Raise that made you lose less exp total but even with the best tier you still lost exp.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

In time, with a little luck, all things of FFXI will fade into lore and whispered legend like this has.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh, i thought he meant in semi-modern ffxiv. i'm pretty sure xp on death was pretty common (or at least not unheard of) in xi era mmos.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is square aware of the Living Dead bug because it's really loving annoying having the debuff not clear at full hp seemingly at random.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gammatron 64 posted:

Salty DRK mad that he didn't get refresh priority over a WHM or PLD spotted.

I didn't play DRK!

I couldn't resist that armor!

Gammatron 64 posted:

sometimes DRGs would sit there unloved for days. In your face, scrub! Git gud! :smug:

You red mages haven't changed!

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 2, 2015

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You can buy it for MGP

Glamours use these crystals and this big mess of a system, you unlock it at 50 with a quest in mor dhona. It makes much more sense when you just use it versus someone explaining it to you.

I'm a long way from being able to afford those clothes :(

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I didn't play DRK!

I couldn't resist that armor!

lol drg

Oh wait a second, I'm playing drg in XIV now. gently caress!

(I also have a MNK at 47 or so but I'm probably not taking it further as I just find it's positional poo poo to not be super fun)

I kinda want to level Pally next because I always wanted to play it in XI because it seemed fun to play, but was told I'd be worthless without a relic shield, and I was like "gently caress that noise"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
DRG are fun now, you don't have to fight an entire battle to do a single heavy thrust.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

DRG are fun now, you don't have to fight an entire battle to do a single heavy thrust.

You also don't have to wait 8 hours to get a party so you can get XP, which is also a big plus.

If it makes you feel any better, RDM sucks in XI now that they raised the cap to 99 and a decade later when nobody plays it anymore

And now Yoshi P won't even let me play RDM in XIV. It's karma I tells ya. I used to be a king!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

oh, i thought he meant in semi-modern ffxiv. i'm pretty sure xp on death was pretty common (or at least not unheard of) in xi era mmos.

I am but a child, and ff14 is my first real mmo. I'm more glad of that the more I read about it's forebears.

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
So obviously Fell Cleave is the cornerstone that brings the Warrior's whole new package together, and I love it.

But I also am loving this heal button equally as much for different reasons.It just give so much utility and peace of mind. Like, "Hey healer I don't really like how you're letting me sit here at constantly 30-40% hp" use the heal button. "Whoops lagged/messed up a mechanic" use the heal button. "Yikes someone else messed up and the healer is concentrating on them" use the heal button. Hero pull? Heal button. Switch back to defiance and take a big hit at the same time? Use the heal button. It's great.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I used to be a king!

Weird, I thought RDM was an MP vending machine

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
alright, anyone else having the problem where heavensward is no longer attached to your account and can now no longer log in and play on your Au Ra Astrologian? because thats an issue im having right now. when the mog station maint. is over will this be fixed?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Luna Was Here posted:

alright, anyone else having the problem where heavensward is no longer attached to your account and can now no longer log in and play on your Au Ra Astrologian? because thats an issue im having right now. when the mog station maint. is over will this be fixed?

Have you logged on at all successfully after early access ended? You should have gotten a second email recently with your non-EA, real code. Check your promotions tab in gmail.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Is the Alexander normal mode raid going to be in the normal DF queue (like CT)? Or is it premade only?

frosteh fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Have you logged on at all successfully after early access ended?

ah this is the issue it seems. The email got sent to the email I used for billing information and not the email I have attached to my account, thanks

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

frosteh posted:

Is the Alexander normal mode raid going to be in the normal DF queue (like CT)? Or is it premade only?

We don't know 100% for sure but it sounds like Alexander normal is going to be something you can do with a pug if you're OK with wiping a few times, and maybe be queueable, and have a loot system like crystal tower. I wouldn't be surprised if they make us use Party Finder at first (hell there could be some wacky technical reason regarding the Alexander gating that is why like none of the new content is in PF yet) though.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Oh yeah also the worst part of that IGN review is that he's whining that BBUT NEW PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO QUEUE FOREVER FOR OLD STUFF PROBABLY ACCORDING TO NUMBERS I PULL OUT OF MY rear end and didn't take like 5 goddamned seconds to notice that there's daily roulettes that cover all the 2.0 story stuff and that this game has never really had a major problem with getting people in to help new players through content ever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Luna Was Here posted:

Did you apply your heavensward cd key? You received 2 codes, one for early access and one for heavensward.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gammatron 64 posted:

But also changing to other goon FCs requires -effort- and actually posting on ffgoons

it involves clicking "leave free company" then walking a few steps down the goblet and applying to the other FC with your ffgoons user ID

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Tenzarin posted:

But you can! Its more of an MMO than a JRPG.

please give me a lavos fight yoshi p

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
alright, i asked this in one of the fc chats but we didn't have a consensus so i'll shoot here: with nocturnal sect, should i just keep diurnal up all the time or should i keep diurnal on when i have a summoner with me and noct on when i dont? if the answer is always diurnal, does this still apply if i have a whm with me or should i put noct on then?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

alright, i asked this in one of the fc chats but we didn't have a consensus so i'll shoot here: with nocturnal sect, should i just keep diurnal up all the time or should i keep diurnal on when i have a summoner with me and noct on when i dont? if the answer is always diurnal, does this still apply if i have a whm with me or should i put noct on then?

Did you mean Scholar, not Summoner?

Whether you want to use Diurnal or Nocturnal when solo is your own judgment. When grouped with another healer you generally want to choose the Sect that covers the role that Healer is not providing. This means Diurnal with a Scholar partner and Nocturnal with a White Mage partner. If you end up with two ASTs, just each cover one Sect.

nuru fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
and if you're paired with another ast you get to be sects buddies

• Locked thread