Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I mentioned this in the iOS apps thread, but we've got several threads talking Apple Music. Someone please make a dedicated thread. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it's weird to me that people are so apprehensive to make new threads.

It just feels like a child that I have to clothe and feed and watch over.

What the hell is Beats 1 and is it replacing Radio?

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

That's a mod's job, not yours. Just make a thread for people to post in people, it's not that hard.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Michael Scott posted:

I have literally never cared about maintaining this thread or its OP since posting it.

Follow your dreams.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728704 -- I'll write a real op in a bit.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

No. Streaming licenses are completely different agreements than digital distribution licenses.

Same reason not the entire Amazon Prime or Netflix selection of movies are available for streaming.

I guarantee you that Apple Music will have the largest selection of available tracks for streaming, so if you're complaining about everything not being available then maybe a subscription streaming service isn't for you.

Well I figured paying 9.99 a month (MORE than netflix) would give the whole iTunes library but no I didn't read any of the releases or anything like that I just assumed like an rear end in a top hat. :butt:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wiggly posted:

Why do I have to use the loving iBooks app now to listen audiobooks?

Hmm, I have no clue...

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013
The worst thing about the radio is the censoring. Especially for someone from a country where radio is never censored.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Not Apple Music related, but lately "text message forwarding" has been wonky on my iMac. The green texts will come through and be displayed on OSX, but the option to reply via the iMac doesn't work (the contact name in the to: field is red). I turned off text forwarding via the iPhone, logged out of my Apple ID on the Messages app on OSX, logged back in, and toggled "text forwarding" on again via the phone, and it's prompting for the confirmation code like usual, except a code never pops up on my Mac. Ever.

EDIT: Tried turning iMessage off and then on again on the phone and now the option to forward text messages isn't even there anymore. :(

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 1, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The new music app has replaced the buttons I had on the bottom of my screen for Artists, Genres, Albums, and Playlists. I don't plan on using Apple Music so the For You, New, Radio, and Connect buttons are useless. How do I get the normal buttons back?

Please tell me this isn't one of those situations where you just learn to ignore that bottom menu bar because it is unusable screen space now. :-(

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Fall in line, soldier.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those motherfuckers.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The changes to Music app are kind of annoying. I just had to vent a little. It is annoying hunting around for my old stations and the music playing part is far less intuitive. When I click a playlist I want it to open not start playing immediately if I happen to misclick slightly. Usually I like Apples changes, but this is just moving things around for the sake of doing it.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
The update is messed up for me. I already had the public beta version of 8.4, both on my iPhone and iPad. On my iPad, it updated normally, I got the new music app (with the different color icon and everything), and all is good there. On my phone, it refused to download, it hung on requested all day at work. When I got home, I assumed something was borked, so I ran a cloud update, flattened, and reinstalled. I'm pretty sure the restore is done, all the apps are there. But if I try to install the update, it says I should wait for the restore to complete. And if I try to update via iTunes, it says 8.4 is already installed. What else can I do?

It fixed itself overnight :iiam:

gypsyshred fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jul 1, 2015

geera
May 20, 2003

withak posted:

The new music app has replaced the buttons I had on the bottom of my screen for Artists, Genres, Albums, and Playlists. I don't plan on using Apple Music so the For You, New, Radio, and Connect buttons are useless. How do I get the normal buttons back?

Please tell me this isn't one of those situations where you just learn to ignore that bottom menu bar because it is unusable screen space now. :-(
You can turn off the Apple Music features by going to Settings -> Music -> Show Apple Music (turn off).

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

geera posted:

You can turn off the Apple Music features by going to Settings -> Music -> Show Apple Music (turn off).

That replaces the For You and New buttons with a Playlist button, but it still leaves Radio and Connect. There is still no "..." to control what things appear there.

geera
May 20, 2003

withak posted:

That replaces the For You and New buttons with a Playlist button, but it still leaves Radio and Connect. There is still no "..." to control what things appear there.

You can also turn off Connect by going to Settings -> General -> Restrictions -> Enable Restrictions and then turn off Apple Music Connect.

I haven't done that myself but supposedly it gets rid of the Connect button from the app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

geera posted:

You can also turn off Connect by going to Settings -> General -> Restrictions -> Enable Restrictions and then turn off Apple Music Connect.

I haven't done that myself but supposedly it gets rid of the Connect button from the app.

It gets rid of the connect button, but now that menu has only three buttons, one of which I don't use, and no way to add the ones that I do use.

Hopefully Apple Music goes the way of Ping ASAP so the app go back to showing you music that you have instead of trying to persuade you to listen to something else.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

You might want to consider using Picky for playing music if you're not planning on using Apple Music.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

withak posted:

I'm still using Radio and Apple Music but its really good to know that I can get rid of them later.

geera posted:

You, sir, are a Saint! Connect/Ping2.0 is totally useless to me. Having it replaced with a Playlist button is the icing on the cake! :dance:

Connect is so stupid, even the artists I like that use it are just posting...I dunno...stuff they'd usually post to Facebook? I guess I'm not a hardcore music fan, cause I don't really care that Emily Haines is making up the Metric Logo on band's drumkit, or that Matt Bellamy is "jamming" in a recording studio. Then again, I assume the content is just being scrubbed FROM Facebook so the nature of the content makes sense.

Regardless, if I was that obsessed, would I not already follow these people on Twitter and Facebook? Why the need for another app? Another link?

Now if I could just rearrange the order of the icons in Music, I'd be a happy man. I want it like iTunes: My Music, Playlists, New, Radio. :(

withak posted:

Hopefully Apple Music goes the way of Ping ASAP so the app go back to showing you music that you have instead of trying to persuade you to listen to something else.

I think parts of Apple Music will go away. The only artists using Connect currently are ones that are very likely being paid to use it (I notice these artists came up by name in the "taste" selection). I give Connect a year, tops.

Streaming and curated playlists? They're not going anywhere. Aren't they already talking about opening more studios for a Beats2 and Beats3?

I'm worried Apple may make the internal storage of their future devices smaller and smaller in order to encourage people to use Cloud/Streaming subscriptions.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 1, 2015

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
New iOS user question:

Have an message thread with my girlfriend. Both iPhone 6's. I have had this phone for a week. No messaging problems.

Today she texts me from work. It comes in a separate thread. I respond in the old thread, it shows my message as green. She responds and it goes in the new thread. She gets all my messages, but all her responses go in the new thread. All my messages in the old thread show on both our ends as Text Messages and all my messages in teh new thread show as iMessage even when sent back-to-back. Is this just iMessage being weird or something I can fix. Just delete the old thread and move along?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The iMessage servers are having problems right now. Give it a day and it should be back to normal.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I upgraded my iPhone to 8.4 and went to install the latest version of iTunes on Windows Vista so that I can do a backup, but it says Vista is no longer supported by iTunes

Huh

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think the real question is why you are running Vista.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think the real question is why you are running Vista.

I am a cheap gently caress who doesn't want to upgrade until it is absolutely necessary.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

EugeneJ posted:

I am a cheap gently caress who doesn't want to upgrade until it is absolutely necessary.

Vista was never necessary for anyone.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EugeneJ posted:

It is absolutely necessary.

Though Vista had capable indexed searching and wasn't as bad for the end user as people make it out to be.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 2, 2015

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
IIRC Vista isn't even part of the free Windows 10 offer - that's how little everyone cares about it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vista was poo poo 5 years ago. Using it in 2015 means you don't give a poo poo about your computer at all.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Vista was poo poo 5 years ago. Using it in 2015 means you don't give a poo poo about your computer at all.

I'm pretty amazed someone was able to use vista for more than an hour.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

With the release of Windows 10 at the end of the month, Vista will be 4 operating systems behind. Mainstream support ended in 2012.

What iOS version are you on?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Could you possibly apply for the Windows 10 insider program? As long as you run betas forever you get to keep Windows 10 for free.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I'm pretty amazed someone was able to use vista for more than an hour.
It ran fine at launch if you happened to have a high-end computer with parts from manufacturers who managed to get drivers out on time. So basically for no one.

FCKGW posted:

With the release of Windows 10 at the end of the month, Vista will be 4 operating systems behind. Mainstream support ended in 2012.

What iOS version are you on?
He said he updated to 8.4.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Could you possibly apply for the Windows 10 insider program? As long as you run betas forever you get to keep Windows 10 for free.
Or buy a Windows 7 key on eBay for $30ish and get the free Windows 10 upgrade.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Microsoft practically gave 7 and 8 away and are sorta doing the same for 10. There's no reason to not upgrade.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
The iPhone Windows Vista Thread

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My girlfriend has a 7year old Toshiba satellite pro running vista. It's arduous but serviceable.

It does what she needs (except back up her phone if she upgrades, natch)

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

My girlfriend has a 7year old Toshiba satellite pro running vista. It's arduous but serviceable.

Same here. Only thing it can't do is 1080p...and run iTunes. I use it as an HTPC. Microsoft ends extended support for Vista in April 2017, so I'll definitely upgrade by then.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
Has anyone else's bluetooth functionality poo poo the bed after updating to 8.4? I was previously 8.1.something and pairing with my Mazda 3 worked flawlessly. After a fresh update/restore to 8.4 my iPhone won't detect my Mazda at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Same question except GPS. I just ran a few miles and apparently broke the world record for a mile.

On my way from work both Waze/Apple had me a half mile from my location the entire commute home.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Yeah, could be "me too" syndrome but my GPS was awful today... Super clear outside, in the suburbs and I couldn't get a good GPS lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
My GPS was hosed up my way home today.