Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

KillHour posted:

The car in this video has zero grip. The entire thing is done going sideways, and the fast turns are all 5-6 turns in deep snow on a very wide track. Notice how slow he is going for the tight turns. The only thing keeping that car on the road is the skill of the driver, which frankly, you don't have.

Compare to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJtuI4K-J3k

Driving like that in any car would be suicidal if there was even a little bit of ice on the road.

That's not even one of the icy stages. Like, the most that gets is "patches". On the stages with actual snow and ice you have to take all the corners slow as gently caress. He's driving on dry tarmac 99% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Crossposting from the Project CARS thread, patch 2.0 just went live on Steam. Here's the changelog for anyone who doesn't follow that thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes-OUT-NOW-on-PC

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oh man It's only been half a year but the update to wreckfest is finally out. Can't wait to get off work and try it out.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

GhostDog posted:

Serious question: Do you actually check the speedo when determining your speed ingame? Because sims generally don't use visual tricks to increase the sense of speed and as a result (due to a lack of peripheral vision) feel slower than real life. It might just be that what feels like 30mph is actually 50mph. I haven't spent that much time with Dirt yet, but when I did grip felt okay.

Serious answer, yes :v:

I tested it last night. Put the Delta Integrale in second gear and drove one of the stages in Wales, Bidno Moor i think. Didn't go any faster than 50mph indicated and the car still felt like a greased up hovercraft with my G27.

I'm not trying to be a dick and poo poo up the thread, I just honestly think DR has potential to be -the- rally game to end all rally games and it sucks that stuff like wonkified handling is one of the things holding it back, imo.

But i'll stop being salty and throw out something that would be cool to have: Safari rally. They've put in some nice stage locations and cars as is, and I don't think there are any games that feature the old Safari rally cars and stages. I'd love to have an old Celica GT-4 with the huge brushguard and snorkel that I could take on stages full of mud, river crossings, etc. That's something seriously cool that's never featured.

Harminoff posted:

Oh man It's only been half a year but the update to wreckfest is finally out. Can't wait to get off work and try it out.

Yeah, i'm genuinely interested to reinstall and see how it plays. I ended up uninstalling it when they first redid the entire physics system and hosed with how everything drove, curious to see how stuff feels now.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 30, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Harminoff posted:

It crashes my game on startup. nice.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

wolrah posted:

Crossposting from the Project CARS thread, patch 2.0 just went live on Steam. Here's the changelog for anyone who doesn't follow that thread: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?32776-Project-CARS-All-Platforms-Upcoming-Patch-2-0-Release-notes-OUT-NOW-on-PC

This is not the same thing as pCars 2, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
From what I've heard, pCars 2 currently a strip of road with some cars.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think racing road cars is miles more entertaining then jetting rallies or supers personally!

Agreed! I really enjoyed driving the Seat Ibiza around the ring in AC, sadly the mod hasn't been updated to work with recent updates. :(

In much, much more important news than any DiRT updates:
THE TEAM PURE MIATA MOD FOR ASSETTO IS OUT

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

It crashes my game on startup. nice.

DX11 Experimental or normal? Normal mode runs silky smooth on my setup, DX11 Experimental worked for about one lap of Sandpit and then i lost all textures / lighting and everything was black.

Honestly, the new update feels super bland. There's not much excitement or carnage or anything crazy / fun anymore. It's just driving beater cars on dirt tracks with no real sense of speed. I miss the Sneak Preview 2.0 driving model. The new one has potential and I can see it being really neat with some tweaking and work, but right now it's just boring :(

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Weird motion blur tearing aside, angry miata

:yayclod:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I installed the Miata and... wasn't impressed? :confused: Engine sounds were missing and something about the handling feels off, not as nimble as I expected, maybe that's just from playing too much Dirt.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Jehde posted:

I installed the Miata and... wasn't impressed? :confused: Engine sounds were missing and something about the handling feels off, not as nimble as I expected, maybe that's just from playing too much Dirt.

You have to install the sound fix linked in the description, and in the official thread forum someone pointed out a few suspension values that needed to be changed in the first patch

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This is going to be hard to explain, but does anyone else get the feeling that dirt rally is kind of like a rail shooter, but for cars ? What I mean is, it almost seems like they wouldn't be able to just out in a normal course like Laguna seca. Almost like the game just wants to follow the course. Like the original need for speed game.

Does this make any sense ?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
No.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Is that a thiny-veiled complaint about grip?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

jonathan posted:

This is going to be hard to explain, but does anyone else get the feeling that dirt rally is kind of like a rail shooter, but for cars ? What I mean is, it almost seems like they wouldn't be able to just out in a normal course like Laguna seca. Almost like the game just wants to follow the course. Like the original need for speed game.

You may be getting that sensation from how the courses are built.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

Do the Pike's Peak hillclimb with the Audi Quattro. It feels like the car is magnetically repelled by the track.

OTOH, that might just be me sucking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

jonathan posted:

What? It's a point to point rally. You drive on the road from the start to the finish. Where else would you go? Do you want an open world rally game?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

jonathan posted:

Agreeing with no, it doesn't make sense.

For what it's worth: I think the Pike's Peak Hillclimb is probably among the closest to a "normal course like Laguna Seca" that you could add to a rally game as something iconic that people would recognize. The Monte Carlo stage (it's really one stage that meets in the mountain village I believe) is also, I believe, considered fairly iconic. In general though: rallies are hundreds of miles long and I'm pretty sure they vary which lengths of road are used from year to year for many of them (although usually keeping some of the more notable ones... which the ones used in game are among/part of, I believe). Many of the roads are also back roads or mountain roads without many diverging paths so, yeah, they tend to be fairly linear with not many other "roads not taken" going off the course.

Also, Rallycross is next. Rallycross is a closed course like Laguna Seca (except covered in dirt/gravel/whatever).

But, ultimately:

Cojawfee posted:

What? It's a point to point rally. You drive on the road from the start to the finish. Where else would you go? Do you want an open world rally game?

Also, maybe he wants a choose your own adventure rally? All roads are open... hope you pick the right ones to get to the end the fastest?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Rallycross is a normal type race with other cars and multiple laps. The difference being that it combines pavement, dirt, and other kinds of surface.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I think what he's saying is that he feels that the cars are almost guided down the track without player input.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah I mean I get rally, and I want to rally in a rally game, but I just get this weird sensation that the game engine mechanics wouldn't translate to a circuit course. Or almost like the car is being guided along the rally stage making driving easier than it should be.

Pretend we took a tarmac rally course and put it into a seemingly more universal engine such as iRacing. Would I still be able to get the car through the stage pulling off drifts with such ease ?

Sigh, maybe I've been in work camp too long.

Edit: maybe it's a FOV thing. What FOV setting do you guys with triple monitors use, and what angle are the side monitors supposed to be ?

jonathan fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 2, 2015

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

I think what he's saying is that he feels that the cars are almost guided down the track without player input.

That doesn't make any sense either, unless he's only played non-icy Monte Carlo. In all other stages you have to work your rear end off to stay on the road.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

jonathan posted:

Yeah I mean I get rally, and I want to rally in a rally game, but I just get this weird sensation that the game engine mechanics wouldn't translate to a circuit course. Or almost like the car is being guided along the rally stage making driving easier than it should be.

Doesn't Dirt use the same engine (albeit beefed up, significantly) as the F1 series?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

jonathan posted:

Pretend we took a tarmac rally course and put it into a seemingly more universal engine such as iRacing. Would I still be able to get the car through the stage pulling off drifts with such ease ?

Edit: maybe it's a FOV thing. What FOV setting do you guys with triple monitors use, and what angle are the side monitors supposed to be ?
I don't get that feeling at all with a controller and single monitor; staying on course seems plenty challenging to me at times (especially when it gets similar in width to the width of car). There might be some spots where there's ruts in the road help me out by pushing me in favorable directions, but there's also plenty that will send me flying off course if I hit them wrong (aka: some spots the course does help keep you on and others, it seems, try to buck you right the gently caress off).

I haven't played iRacing, but opinions around here and the PCars thread have me under the impression it has, like a lot of older-gen sims, less grip than it should (?) so maybe that's not a great comparison. Wait, why would you be pulling drifts on tarmac anyway (outside maybe hairpins)? Regardless, watch some tarmac rally onboard (crappy quality, but a stage you'll know) video on YouTube; rally cars grip dat hip road hard which probably makes it a lot less squirrel-y than you might think.

bUm fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jul 2, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Schlesische posted:

Doesn't Dirt use the same engine (albeit beefed up, significantly) as the F1 series?

Yeah, all Codemasters Racing games since I think F1 2010 uses the Ego engine.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Holy poo poo, that would kinda own. Dakar Rally sim maybe?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

I understand that what you're trying to say is that it feels like a (REALLY) old school arcade racing game, where the physics amounted to "turns make you drift towards the edge of the track, try to stay in the middle." I don't get that feeling at all, though. You can easily drive around normally if you find an open flat spot to do so, and there are a few places in the game where I have found cuts.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

T1g4h posted:

Holy poo poo, that would kinda own. Dakar Rally sim maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exVaNRTDHhU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

I understand that what you're trying to say is that it feels like a (REALLY) old school arcade racing game, where the physics amounted to "turns make you drift towards the edge of the track, try to stay in the middle." I don't get that feeling at all, though. You can easily drive around normally if you find an open flat spot to do so, and there are a few places in the game where I have found cuts.

Thanks. This is what I meant. I think it's maybe a FOV thing, or that my "cockpit" setup is less than perfect.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Speaking of monitors. Some videos have them set up with a low angle for the side monitors, some at a very high angle where the side monitors are beside your head.

And some with a head tracker thing that seems to add extra angle when you turn your head. What is best ?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I've been going through the career championships, going up the car tiers left-to-right and I'm amazed how much easier the Audi Quattro is than the Ford Sierra. I honestly wish I'd known just how sharply the difficulty of driving these cars dips when you get into 4WD cars, so I could have started on them sooner. Would it be possible to have the different classes ordered by difficulty in the OP?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
IMO the first post should not be overloaded with info that belongs more in a game-specific thread, but if you want to write something up I'll rename that useless 3rd post (that I'll never get around to anyway) from "Mods" to "Further game-specific Info" and I'll put it in there. I'm happy to take care of layout and consolidation and maybe adding screenshots for anything worthwile people throw into this thread.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

jonathan posted:

Speaking of monitors. Some videos have them set up with a low angle for the side monitors, some at a very high angle where the side monitors are beside your head.

And some with a head tracker thing that seems to add extra angle when you turn your head. What is best ?

That's probably all personal preference really

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Great Joe posted:

I've been going through the career championships, going up the car tiers left-to-right and I'm amazed how much easier the Audi Quattro is than the Ford Sierra. I honestly wish I'd known just how sharply the difficulty of driving these cars dips when you get into 4WD cars, so I could have started on them sooner. Would it be possible to have the different classes ordered by difficulty in the OP?

GhostDog posted:

IMO the first post should not be overloaded with info that belongs more in a game-specific thread, but if you want to write something up I'll rename that useless 3rd post (that I'll never get around to anyway) from "Mods" to "Further game-specific Info" and I'll put it in there. I'm happy to take care of layout and consolidation and maybe adding screenshots for anything worthwile people throw into this thread.

Really I always figured this thread as more of a general thread for all the tryhard sims, i.e. AC, iRacing, Rfactor, etc. It might be worth just making a Dirt Rally thread given how much Dirt chat here drowns out the regular sim chat. The two threads could coexist similarly to how the pCARS thread does.

I'm too lazy to put together an OP for such a thread.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 4, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jehde posted:

Really I always figured this thread as more of a general thread for all the tryhard sims, i.e. AC, iRacing, Rfactor, etc. It might be worth just making a Dirt Rally thread given how much Dirt chat here drowns out the regular sim chat. The two threads could coexist similarly to how the pCARS thread does.

I'm too lazy to put together an OP for such a thread.

I could probably throw together a Dirt Rally OP, it's the kind of game that really deserves a thread of its own since people are probably playing it and don't want to come in this thread.

E: I have thrown together a DIRT Rally thread. I'll go back and expand the OP a little later but I think I got the important stuff in there.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 4, 2015

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

njsykora posted:

I could probably throw together a Dirt Rally OP, it's the kind of game that really deserves a thread of its own since people are probably playing it and don't want to come in this thread.

E: I have thrown together a DIRT Rally thread. I'll go back and expand the OP a little later but I think I got the important stuff in there.

Thanks. I linked it it the OP.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Game Stock Car is trying to bring stadium super trucks to their sim, send help. If you don't own GSCE, you can get it here for 35 bux with access to the upcoming beta builds.

quote:

Reiza Simracing Bonanza Update 2:

Due to some confusion regarding what "access to beta builds" refer to, we have elected to make some additions which will add value to backers from all levels from 2 upwards - they are:

Levels 2, 3 & 4 will now grant backers early access to upcoming beta builds of Stock Car Extreme & Formula Truck 2013, (provided already have the games or elect to get them within your perk level);

Levels 5 and upwards (except for level 10) will grant early access to beta builds of Stock Car Extreme & Formula Truck, AND also for the next game (Q4 2016).

We cannot edit the perks to include the new info since the campaign is already in progress, so please take this under consideration when making your contribution.

osker fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 4, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
So uh... if i already got it im getting beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

OhsH posted:

So uh... if i already got it im getting beta?

Previously the beta access was only for the new game coming out next year, and only from level 5 ($75) upwards, no you're getting beta access (to the new content) for existing games for pretty much all levels.

• Locked thread