Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Their website says fall I think. My guess is whenever iOS 9 drops.

Also, are the radio stations down for anyone else? Beats 1 loads but the other stations on that page (pop, country, rock, etc) error out immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Two stations I tried earlier tonight refused to play and gave me an error popup.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I was using a generated artist radio station with no issue earlier, but those might work differently than their default ones.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Endless Mike posted:

Gone. I didn't use it much, and I didn't really like it, but if you did, you'll have to use the Radio functions.

My phone is not big enough to hold my entire library (nor is my laptop, for that matter, unless I have nothing else on it, most likely). This isn't really a good solution for many people. Probably most.

It'll eventually get there. This has always been slow with iTunes Match. I've definitely added playlists on my iPhone with Apple Music and they're in iTunes, though.

Apple duplicates the functions of iTunes Match. You have (currently) a 25,000 song limit, though that's supposedly increasing to 100,000 in the fall. I guess Google Play Music does this free?

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply Apple wasn't a good service. It definitely looks to be. They have the locker thing too. My point is cloud lockers completely negate the (artist x) playing hardball with (service y). You can upload your purchased tracks to the cloud, and downloading torrents is something that (especially) the younger crowd has very little problem with.

I get why Apple didn't want the bad PR from fighting with the hyper-popular, living personification of yoga pants and Pumpkin Spice Lattes, but something like 80% of the country's 15 year old girls already bought 1989, so Taylor not putting it on a service isn't a game changer, it's a petty inconvenience on the level of "spend 30 seconds uploading tracks to the cloud."

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

bloodysabbath posted:

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply Apple wasn't a good service. It definitely looks to be. They have the locker thing too. My point is cloud lockers completely negate the (artist x) playing hardball with (service y). You can upload your purchased tracks to the cloud, and downloading torrents is something that (especially) the younger crowd has very little problem with.

I get why Apple didn't want the bad PR from fighting with the hyper-popular, living personification of yoga pants and Pumpkin Spice Lattes, but something like 80% of the country's 15 year old girls already bought 1989, so Taylor not putting it on a service isn't a game changer, it's a petty inconvenience on the level of "spend 30 seconds uploading tracks to the cloud."

It's just a level of annoyance that shouldn't be necessary with these services. Either you have to buy the album via iTunes on top of the subscription price or "acquire it" and pay for Match. Related, apparently Prince just pulled all of his albums from every streaming service except Tidal.

The artists/labels probably would rather you buy via iTunes instead of stream honestly - at least that way they definitely know $10 changed hands instead of splitting your monthly fee somehow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

bloodysabbath posted:

You can upload your purchased tracks to the cloud, and downloading torrents is something that (especially) the younger crowd has very little problem with.

Which younger crowd? The people under 18 I've met (I'm a secondary school teacher) barely know how to use a web browser, let alone download and install a torrent client, navigate to a torrent indexing service, and deal with the search results, parsed in ways most can't comprehend, to add a magnet link to the client. The problems compound when they need to navigate a file system to add a file to a library or an attached device.

They just listen to music with YouTube.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm 28, and most of the people I hang out with are in there early 20's to early 30's, due to meeting most of them at film school. I'm one of three people in our whole circle of friends who knows how to use torrent sites. Like I know more people who watch movies illegally on lovely streaming sites than torrent them. And as tuyop said, they all listen to music on youtube if they don't have spotify, but even then most of them I know just listen to Pandora or some similar radio thing most of the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

I'm 28, and most of the people I hang out with are in there early 20's to early 30's, due to meeting most of them at film school. I'm one of three people in our whole circle of friends who knows how to use torrent sites. Like I know more people who watch movies illegally on lovely streaming sites than torrent them. And as tuyop said, they all listen to music on youtube if they don't have spotify, but even then most of them I know just listen to Pandora or some similar radio thing most of the time.

Yeah, do your friends also use google to search for everything? Like, googling "google" to get to a new search? I was baffled when my students didn't know what a URL is, and couldn't navigate to bit.do/[course name] to get to an LMS setup without direct supervision and handholding.

I mean, when I was in elementary I was troubleshooting video driver issues in DOS to play lovely shareware games on floppies I got out of magazines. Other people/kids these days :argh:

If I hear another motivational speech about ~digital natives~ who somehow don't know what a tab key is, I'll loving scream.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jul 2, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

tuyop posted:

Yeah, do your friends also use google to search for everything? Like, googling "google" to get to a new search? I was baffled when my students didn't know what a URL is, and couldn't navigate to bit.do/[course name] to get to a LMS setup without direct supervision and handholding.

I mean, when I was in elementary I was troubleshooting video driver issues in DOS to play lovely shareware games on floppies I got out of magazines. Other people/kids these days :argh:

If I hear another motivational speech about ~digital natives~ who somehow don't know what a tab key is, I'll loving scream.

My friends don't do this, but I've had college professors do it before. It was infuriating.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Many of the old iTunes Radio stations don't appear anymore on iPhone. For instance, I can only listen to the Pepsi pop station, which still exists and I think even has a new icon, by finding it in my recently played stuff. Maybe iTunes on desktop has a much larger list of stations, I wouldn't know; I haven't booted into OSX lately and I sure am not installing the bloated giant that is iTunes For Windows (this is a real problem for me with this service VS Spotify).

I have a new-ish iPhone so I went ahead and also installed Google Play Music, and they have all the Songza radio stations I'm used to (albeit with audio advertising that doesn't exist in Songza proper, another hint to me that Google will probably consume/kill that nice service too soon.) On mobile, it's much easier to browse than Apple's.

Beats1 only plays annoying rap-alternative stuff I've never heard of before. It's very emblematic of Beats and it's brand motto of telling you something is cool because they said it is; and if Apple doesn't eventually close it down I'd like to see them add at least three more stations in the next year for work-friendly pop, EDM, and something else.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Using a clean library to test, it looks like Apple Music that you download to your iTunes library won't show up on an Apple TV. :(

I had one album ripped from a CD, which showed up on the Apple TV.

In iTunes, clicked the cloud icon on two albums I had added through Apple Music. They are definitely downloaded locally now, still showing up if I select "Only Music Available Offline" in the View menu.

Neither of those albums showed up on my Apple TV. I then added another album of files ripped from a CD; it showed up on the Apple TV right away. So I know it's not an issue with the Apple TV or my network - it looks like Apple Music that you save locally just doesn't show up, which really sucks. No way I'm auto-renewing if this doesn't change.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Minidust posted:

Using a clean library to test, it looks like any Apple Music that you download won't show up on an Apple TV. :(

In iTunes, clicked the cloud icon on two albums I had added through Apple Music. They are definitely downloaded locally now, still showing up if I select "Only Music Available Offline" in the View menu.

Neither of those albums showed up on my Apple TV. I then added another album of files ripped from a CD; it showed up on the Apple TV right away. So I know it's not an issue with the Apple TV or my network - it looks like Apple Music that you save locally just doesn't show up, which really sucks. No way I'm auto-renewing if this doesn't change.

I'm wondering if the Apple TV just need a software update to make it capable of doing this. Like how until iTunes updated stuff you added to your library on the phone wouldn't show up.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Minidust posted:

Using a clean library to test, it looks like Apple Music that you download to your iTunes library won't show up on an Apple TV. :(

It's pretty obvious that this will change. Why did you expect an ancient version of the AppleTV OS to somehow work with Apple Music?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's pretty obvious that this will change. Why did you expect an ancient version of the AppleTV OS to somehow work with Apple Music?
Well I was just hoping it would work with files that I downloaded locally, since downloaded iTunes purchases and CD rips already play nice together. I'm seeing now that the file structure is even different though (there's an "Apple Music" folder parallel to the "Music" folder where all the other local stuff resides) .

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, the way iTunes handles the library is different. If anything it should just take a simple aTV update to make it work, otherwise Apple Music will for sure be included in the huge aTV refresh that's happening sometime.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Yeah, the way iTunes handles the library is different. If anything it should just take a simple aTV update to make it work, otherwise Apple Music will for sure be included in the huge aTV refresh that's happening sometime.
Hoping that's the case!

Also this makes me wonder - can downloaded Apple Music be synced to an iPod Classic? I haven't tested since I haven't updated iTunes on my main media server yet.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Minidust posted:

Hoping that's the case!

Also this makes me wonder - can downloaded Apple Music be synced to an iPod Classic? I haven't tested since I haven't updated iTunes on my main media server yet.

The apple music site doesn't claim compatibility with any non-iOS iPod, let alone a classic. Even Android is on the "coming this fall" list so…

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MrBond posted:

The apple music site doesn't claim compatibility with any non-iOS iPod, let alone a classic. Even Android is on the "coming this fall" list so…
Ah, oh well. On the bright side, I'm feeling like a dope because it didn't occur to me to just Airplay the Apple Music stuff to the Apple TV. Just tried it and it works fine, and there's no need to download music locally first. Just gotta think of my laptop as a gigantic remote, and hopefully we get a native solution before long.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I cannot shuffle entire genres or even an entire artist's catalog on my iPhone with the new Music app (I do not subscribe to their streaming service). I had to make a "Jazz" Smart Playlist to be able to shuffle the genre; same for artists'–whole playlists. Unless I'm missing something insanely obvious, but I've scoured the options.

bugs
Aug 10, 2010
I noticed today that songs I was listening to yesterday are no longer available. Like a whole album went grey but then was back as a different but same album that i had to readd to my library. In others single songs have gone grey but otherwise the rest of the album is the same. Is this new music service growing pains or can i expect my music to be phasing in and out daily?? Also maybe it's just itunes for windows being really bad or my internet but there is a lot of little delays when starting new songs etc which reminds me of rdio except worse. I like how spotify is pretty much as responsive as if it was local.

Overall it's cool enough but it seems to be missing a lot of small bands that I had on spotify which surprised me because I thought itunes would have everything and more. Dang!!!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

TheJoker138 posted:

My friends don't do this, but I've had college professors do it before. It was infuriating.

My 24 year old sister googles "yahoo" then does a search. It's amazing.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is the service down right now? Haven't been able to play anything that isn't part of my own library all day.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I like it but it's definitely not as polished as Spotify. My biggest complaints are the mixes it creates being on 10 or so songs long, you cannot mark that you dislike a song (if I have to hear Hey Nineteen again, so help me God) and that in order to get to Apple Music in iTunes you have to go to "new". Took forever to find that.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Considering giving iCloud Music Library a go but I've seen a lot of scare stories online about people losing their music in place of mismatched other songs or some people freaking out about the FBI knocking down their door for torrenting an album once. Or even that your ripped music will be replaced with a correctly-matched but DRM-locked version, meaning that you lose your DRM-free original?

Basically what I'm asking is, what's the deal with iCloud Music Library?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

Considering giving iCloud Music Library a go but I've seen a lot of scare stories online about people losing their music in place of mismatched other songs or some people freaking out about the FBI knocking down their door for torrenting an album once. Or even that your ripped music will be replaced with a correctly-matched but DRM-locked version, meaning that you lose your DRM-free original?

isn't it just a rejiggered itunes match?

e: i think that while everyone is marginally better off post taylor swift/apple paying-artists-for-free-trial-plays controversy that it's not something amazing to be proud of. apple shouldn't really be commended for doing what they should have been doing in the first place (nor their PR drivel about paying artists the most out of any streaming service when it's literally about 1% higher) nor should taytay really be commended for doing something that directly benefits her bottom line and gives her positive exposure for weeks at no cost. as it stands taylor gets a fair bit more money, apple loses an amount of money so small it could conceivably be written off as a rounding error in their financials, and artists everywhere still get a (slightly larger) pittance.

taylor could, instead of having the bizarre milquetoast written-by-a-lawyeropinion of 'i hate streaming services. except ones without free trials. except sometimes,' actually campaign for change in the industry; against monolithic record labels, recording contracts designed to pauperise the artist as much as possible, the general commoditization of artistic expression, but she won't do that. similarly, apple could do a bit more than the bare minimum that allows it to technically say it's better than other streaming services. but they won't - they're agents of the (lovely) status quo and it's much easier to make up a victory than to actually enact change, and people will applaud just as loudly. i don't think taylor or the guys/gals at apple are bad people or anything, they're just acting in rational self-interest, which combined with a position of power just ends up leading to the little guys getting stomped on.

my point is that it's really only slightly better than a corporation rainbowifying their logo to celebrate pride. it's a carefully focus grouped PR move coasting on a tide of libertarian progressivism that provides some nice fluff headlines for content mills like huffpo, buzzfeed, studentbeans, hellogiggles, national review, cnn etc while the gnashing gears of the soul-sucking money machine spin faster than ever. i don't think it's really anything to be applauded.

for the record i think applemusic is good and the recommendations are nothing short of uncanny. and 1989 is a dece album but you're kidding yourself if you don't think at some level it's kind of throwaway stuff for 13 year olds.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 2, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Basically. If you used Match before, you might want to consider backing up your database file, starting from a clean library, and deleting all the existing Cloud tracks before starting again with your current library database.

I ran it yesterday and it did a number on my desktop library (pro tip: turn off "keep my library organized" before you start). I got it sorted but, like Spotify, "Cloud" songs may be linked to compilation or remastered albums pretty arbitrarily - even songs that I bought from iTunes in the first place. I expect I'll also have a bunch of "clean" versions floating around as well.

You have to do it to add things to your library, but it still causes too much FUD for me to recommend it to people who have well-maintained libraries.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I've been getting Error 403 while trying to listen to Beats1 this morning. All of the other stations work just fine, though.

Are you guys getting any local stations in your Radio tab? I have Houston NPR 88.7 showing up under the Featured Stations section, since I'm still using my home billing address despite living in Africa now.

edit: Error 403 means I'm trying to listen to Beats1 from an unsupported country. It works fine when I listen through my office's satellite connection since it's routed through London, but my phone's 3G is routed through Kinshasa.

curried lamb of God fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Modern Leper posted:

Basically. If you used Match before, you might want to consider backing up your database file, starting from a clean library, and deleting all the existing Cloud tracks before starting again with your current library database.

I ran it yesterday and it did a number on my desktop library (pro tip: turn off "keep my library organized" before you start). I got it sorted but, like Spotify, "Cloud" songs may be linked to compilation or remastered albums pretty arbitrarily - even songs that I bought from iTunes in the first place. I expect I'll also have a bunch of "clean" versions floating around as well.

You have to do it to add things to your library, but it still causes too much FUD for me to recommend it to people who have well-maintained libraries.
Note this only happens if you delete your copy of the song and redownload it. The different version will show up on other devices.

ALSO, 9to5mac is saying that if you have Apple Music and cancel Match, it downloads a DRMed version of even songs you've previously matched, so it's probably best not to delete anything from your computer. I can confirm, at least, that if you have both (my Match subscription is active until December), the downloaded Matched songs are NOT DRMed. Anything you download that's from Apple Music is, unsurprisingly, DRMed.

EDIT: Beats 1 is working fine on my Mac.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I know it's pretty goon standard to hate on new poo poo but I actually really like Apple Music after using it for a few days. I never used the social features of Spotify and the only thing I'll miss is remote controlling on my PS4. The new Music.app isn't perfect but Spotify's interface is a mess and their process of uploading your own tracks is annoying as gently caress, basically necessitating you either being on the same network as a computer with the songs or making a playlist and having the songs available offline. For the one or two albums I listen to that Apple Music didn't have, all I needed to do was just add them to iTunes and I could stream them from wherever. Also Spotify had a bad habit of using up an asinine amount of space, basically caching everything you listen to until your phone is full and iOS decides to clear it.

Like, this isn't perfect and I think they leaned a little too far on the side of discovery but IMO for a product that's fresh out of the gate it's on par with other services. Plus a lot of bands that aren't on other streaming services--aside from T.Swift, Radiohead has also allowed their entire discography to be streamed after completely swearing off streaming services and calling them the devil.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Endless Mike posted:

Note this only happens if you delete your copy of the song and redownload it. The different version will show up on other devices.

The initial scramble happened to my local library but yes, the incorrectly matches songs will only affect you on devices that rely on the cloud. Something to be aware of if you play albums on the go, but not a dealbreaker if you just want your songs with you.

Edit: And there's the censored E-40 song.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I ended up just copying my whole library onto another HDD and activating iCloud Music Library. Let's see how hosed it gets!

I don't know if this is smart or just pathetic, but I've been queuing up a poo poo-ton of songs I like that aren't the usual big-hitters in their genres and turning the volume right down while I listen to podcasts on another device, in the hope that Apple will get a better idea of the more niche stuff in my interests.

Haven't not really used Spotify but reading about it, I can't wait for user-curated playlists to become a thing. Apple only has so many people on staff and have to prioritise broad genres, but someone out there will have an amazing selection of songs matching ridiculously specific subsets of what people are after and getting that stuff out there would be really cool. I think an amazing future feature, assuming that Apple's metadata on every song is detailed enough, would be to have drop-down filters and make algorithmic playlists based on that. e.g. "Female vocals" + "hip hop" + "electronic" could throw up a bunch of songs like Charisma.com or whatever.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That's what the hearts are for - I collectively hearted all my four and five star songs, along with my favorite playlists, and the recommendations improved a good deal (though they still somewhat favor the genres are originally picked)

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

In my experience so far, local content doesn't get replaced (except album art for some reason). The music that was already on my phone is all the same. However, via iTunes on my new PC, the music from my phone shows up as matched DRM-locked versions with a cloud icon.

And if I add some ripped music to PC iTunes the old-fashioned way, it appears to work like it always used to, with no-cloud based anything. Just a local album that I have full control over (which then, in turn, shows up on my phone as a matched Apple Music version).

The ripped stuff that I added to PC iTunes has kept my embedded album art too; crossing my fingers that this remains the case.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I had to restart my computer and iTunes doesn't seem to be uploading songs anymore, are the servers hammered still or is there a way to force resume the process?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Modern Leper posted:

That's what the hearts are for - I collectively hearted all my four and five star songs, along with my favorite playlists, and the recommendations improved a good deal (though they still somewhat favor the genres are originally picked)
I'm gonna need to start hearting more often then. Sadly I have WAY too many 4/5 star songs in my library to start doing that!

Minidust posted:

In my experience so far, local content doesn't get replaced (except album art for some reason). The music that was already on my phone is all the same. However, via iTunes on my new PC, the music from my phone shows up as matched DRM-locked versions with a cloud icon.

And if I add some ripped music to PC iTunes the old-fashioned way, it appears to work like it always used to, with no-cloud based anything. Just a local album that I have full control over (which then, in turn, shows up on my phone as a matched Apple Music version).

The ripped stuff that I added to PC iTunes has kept my embedded album art too; crossing my fingers that this remains the case.
Awesome, thanks! Is there a way to prioritise the iTunes version over the local version, even as a one-off thing? There's an album where something cocked up in the ripping process and one or two mp3s ended up being corrupted. I haven't gotten around to re-ripping it in months but it'd be cool to have iTunes just play a working version instead of trying to play it then immediately skip to the next track.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The Modern Leper posted:

Yeah I did this too and I'm noticing the playlists they're recommending now are way more on point.

The only thing that confuses me is why so many albums I already own keep popping up in "For You", why I'm getting "Intro" guides to my already favourite bands and why Apple is trying to introduce me to rap and hip hop (there's none of that stuff in my library and you can't make me listen to it! :mad:).

I assume further culling via the "Don't show recommendations like this again" will help.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I'm gonna need to start hearting more often then. Sadly I have WAY too many 4/5 star songs in my library to start doing that!

Smart playlist > 4/5 Stars > highlight all the songs and hit Heart?

Works for check/uncheck, haven't tried it for heart-ing yet.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Snuffman posted:

Smart playlist > 4/5 Stars > highlight all the songs and hit Heart?

Works for check/uncheck, haven't tried it for heart-ing yet.
I've been hearting stuff just on my phone so far. Might have to do that massive heart-rush when I get back onto my home PC. Although I've heard a lot of stuff that I love, but it's not really representative of the kind of stuff I want recommended for me. Ah well!

My "For you" section is still pretty hosed from when I wanted to show off modern technology to my uncle who wanted to listen to a load of country & western.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Snuffman posted:

...why Apple is trying to introduce me to rap and hip hop (there's none of that stuff in my library and you can't make me listen to it! :mad:).

This is happening to me as well. No, I'm not interested in Drake no matter how popular he is!

Heart Attack on Apple Music coming up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My only real gripe with Music so far is that for some dumb reason playlists curated by Apple Music list songs that are greyed out and unplayable. Why the gently caress would they add a song to a playlist I can't play? I get running into unplayable songs if you pull up a full album because of rights, but this I don't get .

• Locked thread