Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Other than Chandra the walkers all seem pretty playable.

Lilliana's my favorite. I've always had a thing for reanimation strategies. Although I don't like that opponents can dictate when she flips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think she'll be good if there's a playable sac outlet in standard, and I have high hopes for Evolutionary Leap.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Lilliana's my favorite. I've always had a thing for reanimation strategies. Although I don't like that opponents can dictate when she flips.

You're in black, the color of sacrificing poo poo. Fleshbag Marauder will flip her. Or use Evolutionary Leap or something. Or have Chandra's folks launch a gold-forged sentinel as Liliana weeps. "N-no... I loved you statue-sempai..."

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
No picture because I dont feel like watching it but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAFHjDKl2NQ

Mage-Ring Responder 7

Artifact Creature - Golem R

Mage-Ring Responder doesn't untap during your untap step

7: Untap Mage-Ring Responder

Whenever Mage-Ring Responder attacks, it deals 7 damage to target creature defending player controls

7/7

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wanna make a robot deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
And Sigil of the Empty Throne confirmed as well.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

You're in black, the color of sacrificing poo poo. Fleshbag Marauder will flip her. Or use Evolutionary Leap or something. Or have Chandra's folks launch a gold-forged sentinel as Liliana weeps. "N-no... I loved you statue-sempai..."

Not sure why you're implying I thought flipping her would be hard.

Though I missed that she actually protects herself from "an EoT kill another one of your creatures, attack her, denying you any value", since a zombie pops up to block.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Not sure why you're implying I thought flipping her would be hard.

Your opponent doesn't completely dictate when she flips because there are some fine sac outlets into which to put Liliana's sempais and onii-chans.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Your opponent doesn't completely dictate when she flips because there are some fine sac outlets into which to put Liliana's sempais and onii-chans.

Duh, I just meant they can flip her at inopportune times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Those cards mentioned earlier

(Obviously Sigil reprint is from Planechase; preview was foreign)

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 2, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the golem reminds me of phyrexian colossus

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

"Get this loving ring off my head!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bugsy posted:

"SOME TEENAGERS PUT IT ON ME WHILE I WAS SLEEPING THIS ISN'T A JOKE GUYS"

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm glad they finally brought back Aladdin's Ring.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Bugsy posted:

Who was it who had the avatar of Elesh Norn saying, "I CAN'T FIT THROUGH FUCKIN DOORS!"? Because it seems she's started a trend of crazy poo poo on people's heads.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Eidolon of Blossom's time to shine (again) :getin:

edit: Holy poo poo throw in a couple Pharikas and you've got the makings of something beautiful.

Alris fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 2, 2015

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Zemyla posted:

Who was it who had the avatar of Elesh Norn saying, "I CAN'T FIT THROUGH FUCKIN DOORS!"? Because it seems she's started a trend of crazy poo poo on people's heads.

Karona is pretty crazy. It's like Beetlejuice when he turns into the circus game with the head-batwings.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Karona is pretty crazy. It's like Beetlejuice when he turns into the circus game with the head-batwings.

Everything about Karona was weird and bad. Her card is weird and bad, her art is weird, and the book in which she stars in is weird and bad and also has a plot that makes no sense.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Duh, I just meant they can flip her at inopportune times.

I feel like it's actually really hard to do that. It's going to be very rare that flipped Liliana + zombie is worse than just creature Liliana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

I feel like it's actually really hard to do that. It's going to be very rare that flipped Liliana + zombie is worse than just creature Liliana.

EoT kill thing, flip, kill your Lili with a flier.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Again the only way to know something is from Jaceworld is making the rings super obvious and prominent in the art.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

set so far looks pretty fun to draft, there's a lot of strong cards without (seemingly) any gamebreaking pack rat-level rares

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

On further reading this wouldn't work with Pharika's ability, would it?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Alris posted:

Nope, creating snakes wont count

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Alris posted:

"Cast an enchantment"

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Do explain.

People are upset that there is no good land based ramp in the current meta, so she seems like the hardest to flip. She has some of the strongest abilities, but unless people see rampant growth really soon, they're going to ignore her. When she was first anounced, the only spell that got you lands onto the battlefield was explosive vegetation, and while that does a lot (turn 3 nissa, turn 4 play the land she got you and explosive veggies, turn 5, hope you've naturally drawn 4 lands in the past 11 cards or hope you got one other piece of land ramp) it means she is basically, as it stands, the only walker who can't transform on turn 3.

People in the thread, and out of it are terrible at predicting future metas, so they look at the right now, and honestly right now Nissa is garbage. Her legendary token dies to siege rhino and Tasty Tasi, and languish as was recently spoiled. Comparing her to Sarkhan, the other effectively 5 mana walker in this meta, she draws you a card with a slight bonus (sarkhan ramps, she puts the land into play) Sakrhan gets you a dragon that also dies to languish and loses to SR and Tap-dancing Tasigur. Sarkhan's Ult gets you a bunch of beef, that will answer most everyboard, but Ults are fake and sarkhan does not see play either. The only current deck that might want her is abzan, and abzan does not want to get to 7 lands.

Huh... Sarkhan and Nissa have a lot in common actually. weird.

It is also human to not want to change your opinion after you've made it, so even if good land ramp shows up and she secretly become viable, unless someone wins a GP with her, they will insist Nissa is bad.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Wurzag posted:

Nope, creating snakes wont count

My dreams of throwing snakes and angels at people... shattered... :negative:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

(Obviously Sigil reprint is from Planechase; preview was foreign)

Conflux, actually.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Gensuki posted:

People are upset that there is no good land based ramp in the current meta, so she seems like the hardest to flip. She has some of the strongest abilities, but unless people see rampant growth really soon, they're going to ignore her. When she was first anounced, the only spell that got you lands onto the battlefield was explosive vegetation, and while that does a lot (turn 3 nissa, turn 4 play the land she got you and explosive veggies, turn 5, hope you've naturally drawn 4 lands in the past 11 cards or hope you got one other piece of land ramp) it means she is basically, as it stands, the only walker who can't transform on turn 3.

People in the thread, and out of it are terrible at predicting future metas, so they look at the right now, and honestly right now Nissa is garbage. Her legendary token dies to siege rhino and Tasty Tasi, and languish as was recently spoiled. Comparing her to Sarkhan, the other effectively 5 mana walker in this meta, she draws you a card with a slight bonus (sarkhan ramps, she puts the land into play) Sakrhan gets you a dragon that also dies to languish and loses to SR and Tap-dancing Tasigur. Sarkhan's Ult gets you a bunch of beef, that will answer most everyboard, but Ults are fake and sarkhan does not see play either. The only current deck that might want her is abzan, and abzan does not want to get to 7 lands.

Huh... Sarkhan and Nissa have a lot in common actually. weird.

It is also human to not want to change your opinion after you've made it, so even if good land ramp shows up and she secretly become viable, unless someone wins a GP with her, they will insist Nissa is bad.

nissa sounds a lot better when you think of her as not a planeswalker, but as a civic wayfinder that, if you happen to draw it late game, either draws you a card every turn until its answered or becomes a 4/4. whether there's a deck that is OK playing civic wayfinder is yet to be seen, and maybe there won't be but if there is she's really really good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Star Man posted:

Conflux, actually.

That reprint is from planechase.

Gensuki posted:

I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about, but I wanted to hear why Snorkel thought Chandra was better.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Nissa is currently mediocre because the ramp in this format is both creature based (mystic, caryatid, voyaging satyr) and devotion based (nykthos.) The extant and actively playable land-based ramp is courser of kruphix and satyr wayfinder. That's it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GeneX posted:

Nissa is currently mediocre because the ramp in this format is both creature based (mystic, caryatid, voyaging satyr) and devotion based (nykthos.) The extant and actively playable land-based ramp is courser of kruphix and satyr wayfinder. That's it.

And neither of those ramp, so...

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

basically nissa and gideon are the only two walkers that have any chance because they're the only useful ones if they never turn into walkers. i guess lili is questionable but i dont particularly like her.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

TheKingofSprings posted:

And neither of those ramp, so...

They're obviously not ramp in the sense of "this card immediately gives you more mana available soon", but they do let you draw and play more lands.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

basically nissa and gideon are the only two walkers that have any chance because they're the only useful ones if they never turn into walkers. i guess lili is questionable but i dont particularly like her.

Merfolk Looter has been playable in the past and may still be playable now, especially with so much delve in the format.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Rinkles posted:

That reprint is from planechase.
Planechase was the reprint.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nissa looks positively embarrassing next to Courser, but I guess maybe it'll be the best option once it rotates.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Merfolk Looter has been playable in the past and may still be playable now, especially with so much delve in the format.

idk maybe, i dont like him because its kind of awkward if you dont want to flip him, but if there's a deck that wants to play a bunch of tasigurs and anglers and maybe sometimes flashback a downfall he could see play. i think hes a little too clunky though im willing to be wrong

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Planechase was the reprint.

Yes that's what I've been saying.

E:The pictured card was the Planescape reprint. I think that's clear enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I feel like someone will figure out a good "enchantments matter" brew with Origins for the scant few months before Theros rotates out.

• Locked thread