Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I kinda wish SE made it so you can gain XP in the various hard mode dungeons. Although I am surprised that even though you get no XP running them, I'm still getting 5-10 minutes queues for them as DPS, so there must be some reason why people are running them other than the rocking music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

TheHeadSage posted:

I kinda wish SE made it so you can gain XP in the various hard mode dungeons. Although I am surprised that even though you get no XP running them, I'm still getting 5-10 minutes queues for them as DPS, so there must be some reason why people are running them other than the rocking music.

It gives Law and an XP bonus at the end. It covers dungeons people who are <= 50 may be wanting to run for one reason or another.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You don't get XP for kills in 50 dungeons, but you get a big chunk of XP at the end, even more when done as a roulette, and at 60 it's a huge pile of law tomes for something you'll probably blow through in 15 minutes, so it's still very worth doing.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I love this weapon.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Do I have to advance my MSQ to access job quests? I'm 52 and haven't reached Heavensward content yet, but I'm not having any luck getting my new ability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yes, that is correct.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vanbags posted:

Do I have to advance my MSQ to access job quests? I'm 52 and haven't reached Heavensward content yet, but I'm not having any luck getting my new ability.

There's a new 50 job quest you have to do, and to get every new ability you need to return and do a quest on every even level.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

TheHeadSage posted:

Hardflox would be the best source of experience 50-60 if the mobs gave exp.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Hardflox would be the best source of experience 50-60 if the mobs gave exp.

I imagine the reason why they didn't make mobs give XP is because of dungeons like hardflox that people would do first room poo poo in and break everything.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't really understand why they care. I ran a few DDs to unlock Arum Vale grinding to 50 and honestly if someone wants to tolerate an absurd amount of tedium to level quickly I don't know why stopping them matters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I love this weapon.

Nice that your sword has kickstands. :thumbsup:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I don't really understand why they care. I ran a few DDs to unlock Arum Vale grinding to 50 and honestly if someone wants to tolerate an absurd amount of tedium to level quickly I don't know why stopping them matters.

People are already destroying the game by levelling to 60 in North Thanalan like complete assholes instead of somewhere new and interesting like Western Coerthas or something, so yeah if you want a world where you get to 60 by doing Brayflox first area pulls for 10 hours straight then I'm sorry I'm glad you didn't get what you want.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Boten Anna posted:

People are already destroying the game by levelling to 60 in North Thanalan like complete assholes instead of somewhere new and interesting like Western Coerthas or something, so yeah if you want a world where you get to 60 by doing Brayflox first area pulls for 10 hours straight then I'm sorry I'm glad you didn't get what you want.

Because running each dungeon like 6-8 times for each other class is so much more loving interesting

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Oh, I don't really give a poo poo and I'm leveling decently just doing the MSQ, I just don't really know why you'd care. If someone wants to look at Flares in first room pulls until their eyes bleed it's not really changing your experience

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Boten Anna posted:

Eh they could just make them give exp for 50-51. And I really feel Nthan exp should be killed post 51. Hitting 51 feels like a huge hurdle, while form 51 on you can do the new dungeons.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Because running each dungeon like 6-8 times for each other class is so much more loving interesting

dungeons are fun and the core of the game

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yes it is, dungeons are fun and the new ones are cool and I'd rather do those a few times than spend 100 more goddamned hours in northern thanalan or clearing the first part of Brayflox. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Eimi posted:

Eh they could just make them give exp for 50-51. And I really feel Nthan exp should be killed post 51. Hitting 51 feels like a huge hurdle, while form 51 on you can do the new dungeons.

Yeah I checked out the north thanalan scene getting BLM to 51 but as soon as I got there I went off to do Heavensward poo poo as my log window being full of stuff like

Soand So has reached lancer level 56!

was just sad. I hope they make XP drop off faster in n.than and buff Heavensward FATEs a bit as flying fate parties in huge zones with lots of FATEs popping actually sounds kind of fun because gently caress Northern Thanalan.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How are you okay with running from blue circle to blue circle (be it in N Than or a new region) for XP but very bothered by first room runs ? They're both terribly boring tedium that undermine gameplay

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Also the fact that they would have to manually assign XP values to each type of mob in the dungeon and test expected XP/hr from clearing would make any of them look at the effort required and just say "eh, just give them a % to next level" for the roulette.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got maybe 15% of the way from 54 to 55 doing a Sohm Al run with armory bonus (DRK 60), this feels like a total slog 'cos I have no sidequests left for the level range :(

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

It also might be complete coincidence, but among my friends the ones who are most awful at their roles are all the ones who leveled up on FATES almost exclusively. The ones who ran dungeons actually seemed to learn to hit buttons that aren't Flash. :shrug:

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

Boten Anna posted:

There's a new 50 job quest you have to do, and to get every new ability you need to return and do a quest on every even level.
I got that part down, but I just can't access my new quest giver for the 52 ability because I'm still doing 2.4 content apparently.

As for first room clears vs FATES, is there still a huge bot problem in this game? At least with dungeon exploits you would probably have to do it manually, but then again I don't know how advanced these 3rd party programs are.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
:qq: people arent spending their time in game grinding to endgame the way i would :qq:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Doublestep posted:

:qq: people arent spending their time in game grinding to endgame the way i would :qq:

It actually bothers me because the lack of FATE zergs in Heavensward areas keeps them from being viable and probably better xp/hr. As such, it impacts me and my enjoyment of the game and is a perfectly valid complaint.

Moreover, it's not good when they release an entirely new expansion with tons of content and everyone immediately runs off to do basically the worst, most boring poo poo from the previous version. poo poo's getting nerfed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I can't understand why SE would want people to play the new content instead they worked on of poopsocking a dungeon grind to 60 and blitzing the MSQ. :iiam:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I will crow on about FFXI as long as I'm deprived of the beauty of Dancer in FFXIV. God drat it YoshiP, let me dance Forever and Day, for my Dance is the Dance that will pierce the Heavens!

If there was a dancer class, it would have to have that Mamool Ja dance as one of its moves. The only animation I can imagine doing it justice is a giant censor bar, though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Obligatum VII posted:

If there was a dancer class, it would have to have that Mamool Ja dance as one of its moves. The only animation I can imagine doing it justice is a giant censor bar, though.

Mamool Ja dance is their LB3 and you can't see it through all the bright lights.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

How are you okay with running from blue circle to blue circle (be it in N Than or a new region) for XP but very bothered by first room runs ? They're both terribly boring tedium that undermine gameplay

As a player I'm not bothered by it. I think it's cool if people find other solutions to change up the grind.

But what I think if I was the developer is that I wouldn't want people doing it because of the tendency for players to break down the game into the most optimal way to do something. Which is good for certain things, but if word gets out that the fastest way to level is by grinding old content endlessly then it could have negative ramifications on my game. Especially if it's a lot faster and easier. Then people start posting strats on reddit and people start doing it all of the time and then eventually this is the only way most of your player base is leveling their 2nd jobs and everyone says "yeah it's a good game but leveling alts is a huge boring grind" and you get a rep for having poo poo new content, and then new players get turned off because they hear about how it's a boring grind where you don't even go explore poo poo.

I don't think this is hyperbole, and it might not be a real concern, but I think that's really the issue here.

poo poo like this:

Doublestep posted:

Isn't really what it's about. It's that if people are doing this poo poo, then I failed as a developer and it looks bad for us, the company, and the game.

Granted they could resolve this by making the new stuff not such a grind either, but they can also just take away the benefits of doing old content to level and that's a lot easier.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't understand why SE would want people to play the new content instead they worked on of poopsocking a dungeon grind to 60 and blitzing the MSQ. :iiam:

Square wants people to buy Heavensward and if you think they really care what happens afterwards beyond making the game better so more people buy Heavensward you're delusional

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Boten Anna posted:

It actually bothers me because the lack of FATE zergs in Heavensward areas keeps them from being viable and probably better xp/hr. As such, it impacts me and my enjoyment of the game and is a perfectly valid complaint.

Moreover, it's not good when they release an entirely new expansion with tons of content and everyone immediately runs off to do basically the worst, most boring poo poo from the previous version. poo poo's getting nerfed.

What I heard was that enemy hp scales much faster than fate xp, so N than actually is the fastest xp/hour.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Is there a way to macro switching between standard and legacy camera types? Or really any way to make switching between the two easier than having to go into the menu and switch them every time you want to.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
On the subject of summoners feeling disconnected from their pets, I would agree that it's weird they've moved more towards the DoT aspects.

As for a way to make the summoner interact with their pet more... Square already has a great idea they can steal from one of their own games: Remember the puck passing in The World Ends With You? If they could implement that in a coherent fashion with Summoner, it'd make for a pretty interesting gimmick.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Obligatum VII posted:

On the subject of summoners feeling disconnected from their pets, I would agree that it's weird they've moved more towards the DoT aspects.

As for a way to make the summoner interact with their pet more... Square already has a great idea they can steal from one of their own games: Remember the puck passing in The World Ends With You? If they could implement that in a coherent fashion with Summoner, it'd make for a pretty interesting gimmick.

In leveling Summoner I sort of feel like they could take away the pets completely, bolster the potency of the Ruins a bit, and rename the class and nothing would be missed. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nice that your sword has kickstands. :thumbsup:

It's the best part, really.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If the quickest way to level is by doing old content, the solution isn't to make the old content worthless because then you're just left with slogging through new content and getting jack poo poo rewards or slogging through old content and getting jack poo poo rewards. I play this game for the dungeons and the trials and poo poo; giving me four thousand more bullshit errands in between doing them isn't suddenly more exciting because there's snow on the ground and everyone has French names.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

cheetah7071 posted:

What I heard was that enemy hp scales much faster than fate xp, so N than actually is the fastest xp/hour.

Yeah, this is my basic understanding of the problem too. It's not that N than gives too much xp, it's that a quirk of the way FATEs scale makes 50+ FATE trains less efficient in terms of XP gained vs. time spent per FATE. All they need to do is up the XP gain and lower the HP scaling on Ishgard fates so they're a better value proposition than N Than. People would be able to grind their way to 60 faster that way, but I think that's probably for the best since it'll make FATEs a more viable, less tedious method of leveling past 50.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 2, 2015

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

If the quickest way to level is by doing old content, the solution isn't to make the old content worthless because then you're just left with slogging through new content and getting jack poo poo rewards or slogging through old content and getting jack poo poo rewards. I play this game for the dungeons and the trials and poo poo; giving me four thousand more bullshit errands in between doing them isn't suddenly more exciting
because there's snow on the ground and everyone has French names.

Yeah I don't disagree with you. New stuff should be interesting or good enough to keep you out of that old content, but it's not for some players. But they don't want you doing it like that so they nerf it or make it impossible.

Not going to say they are right but that I can see why they don't want people doing it.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

If the quickest way to level is by doing old content, the solution isn't to make the old content worthless because then you're just left with slogging through new content and getting jack poo poo rewards or slogging through old content and getting jack poo poo rewards. I play this game for the dungeons and the trials and poo poo; giving me four thousand more bullshit errands in between doing them isn't suddenly more exciting because there's snow on the ground and everyone has French names.
It's a shame because this game has some amazing writing and lore stashed away in side quests. I can't blame people for wanting to skip them though, they make you do a lot of redundant and unnecessary poo poo.

The amount of backtracking in this game is sickening.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ciaphas posted:

In leveling Summoner I sort of feel like they could take away the pets completely, bolster the potency of the Ruins a bit, and rename the class and nothing would be missed. :(

Literally the only time a truly pet centric class has ever been fun in an MMO is Masterminds in City of Heroes, and FF14 is not that style of game. So I'm okay with pets being most forgettable ability turrets that mostly serve to make the job lore distinct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So how legitimate is the advice to go straight STR for tanking atm?

• Locked thread