Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I hope I can get this drat wedding out of the way, so I can have money again, before it's sold out. Only 1 available on UK amazon.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I want to start a Flames of War army, but am not sure which nation/list to go with. I'd like to be a defense-oriented infantry list, digging in on objectives and being as hard as possible to move. Offensively, I plan to rely on gun teams and artillery rather than tanks.

I was looking at the Italy Veterans Rifle list from Fortress Europe as the Americans, but are there any other lists that fit this concept well?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Still waiting on my British platoon from Black Tree Design (I am cutting them some slack, as they probably got swamped with orders during their big D-Day sale, and they have always been reliable with the other orders I've placed with them before). So of course I ordered some of the plastic Brits from Warlord Games to go along with them. :britain:

(in my defense (defence? :v:), someone was selling the box on Amazon for $25, and as there are 25 British Infantry in the box, that works out to a buck a miniature, so I couldn't resist )

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Kaza42 posted:

I want to start a Flames of War army, but am not sure which nation/list to go with. I'd like to be a defense-oriented infantry list, digging in on objectives and being as hard as possible to move. Offensively, I plan to rely on gun teams and artillery rather than tanks.

I was looking at the Italy Veterans Rifle list from Fortress Europe as the Americans, but are there any other lists that fit this concept well?

Look at some of the US Lists from Devil's Charge. The Infantry list has options for CV or CT, and you can switch some of your rifle teams for bazooka teams. Also you can take up to two Roadblock Strongpoints, as well as the whole range of US support options, including captured 88s.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Still waiting on my British platoon from Black Tree Design (I am cutting them some slack, as they probably got swamped with orders during their big D-Day sale, and they have always been reliable with the other orders I've placed with them before). So of course I ordered some of the plastic Brits from Warlord Games to go along with them. :britain:

(in my defense (defence? :v:), someone was selling the box on Amazon for $25, and as there are 25 British Infantry in the box, that works out to a buck a miniature, so I couldn't resist )

My friends have similar experiences, everything from just weeks to several months late. At least you got yourself something to paint while waiting! :)

I got the Italian Wars book for Field of Glory today, tomorrow we will sot down and plan which forces to build. Exciting!

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nah, that one appears to be a 57 minute trek :v: Thanks for the info, though, I'll probably check it out anyway if I have time. I'll be moving over to VA in two months as well, so it'll be a lot easier to get to then.

Games and Stuff in Glen Burnie has a pretty active FoW community. They play on Monday nights and have a Gmail group to plan games and other historicals: central-maryland-gamers@googlegroups.com

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

lilljonas posted:

My friends have similar experiences, everything from just weeks to several months late. At least you got yourself something to paint while waiting! :)

I also have some command figures from Crusader and a couple of support weapons (Vickers HMG and 3" mortar) from Artizan. By the time my BTD Brits arrive, it's possible my British army might already be battle-tested. :v:

The only grumble I have about BTD this time around is that my brother ordered a platoon of Germans on the same day as I did (roughly 8 hours apart) and his arrived a little over a week later. Whereas I am about a month out from my order here. But as I said, I'll cut them a little bit of slack for the moment. And as you said, at least I'll have some Brits to paint while I wait for their reinforcements to show up. :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I also have some command figures from Crusader and a couple of support weapons (Vickers HMG and 3" mortar) from Artizan. By the time my BTD Brits arrive, it's possible my British army might already be battle-tested. :v:

The only grumble I have about BTD this time around is that my brother ordered a platoon of Germans on the same day as I did (roughly 8 hours apart) and his arrived a little over a week later. Whereas I am about a month out from my order here. But as I said, I'll cut them a little bit of slack for the moment. And as you said, at least I'll have some Brits to paint while I wait for their reinforcements to show up. :v:

Our theory is that the minis that are already cast up gets delivered quickly, but that he's slow with casting up backlog orders. So it could be down to luck (and stock).

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Kaza42 posted:

Fearless Vet Brit Airbourne are probably one of hardest units to dislodge- Fearless Vet + Morale rerolls + Tank Assault 3 Gammon Bombs. You pretty much have to commit to killling them all if you want to dislodge them from an objective. Also, the Rifle/MG can throw out a lot more firepower than US Rifle teams. Brit Market Garden lists also get no tank support at all - just airdropped arty and mortars.

If you're set on US infantry, there are 4 lists (all with Vet and Trained Options) to consider for Late War(Fortress Europe is no longer legal in tourney play, I believe)
- Road to Rome US Rifles - Big units (can take an extra rifle team), tons of firepower options, and some really nice defensive options (Field fortifications) .
- Road to Rome Nisei (Fearless Vet/Trained) -fewer gun options, but nastier infantry.
- Overlord US Rifle Company - though it doesn't have defences, it still has a hell of a lot of support and rfirepoewr options - 3 Field Artillery Batteries are seriously yummy. Also, consider: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/USDivisionsNormandy.pdf, though I'm not sure this is legal anymore.
- Devil's Charge US Rifles - fewer support options, but more static defences, and a bonus ONLY when fighting SS Units. Particularly yummy because they're the only list that can go all out on 76mm Shermans.

To be honest, if you're interested in US Infantrry, the best book is probably RTR: US Infantry don't really get any options beyond that of RTR, and there, you at least have the choice of going FV/FT rather than just CV/CT. Also, note that if you're running Overlord, you get the old (lower) AT value for the 76mm, and a No HE restriction on the 57mm. You get the higher AT value for the 76mm + HE on the 57mm in Devil's Charge. You can pick in RTR.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 29, 2015

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Thanks for the responses. Are fortified companies any good? I noticed there's a dedicated fortified list in Devil's Charge, gets some neat fortifications and artillery support, and the British get something similar with the Tobruk fortified list from north africa.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Kaza42 posted:

Thanks for the responses. Are fortified companies any good? I noticed there's a dedicated fortified list in Devil's Charge, gets some neat fortifications and artillery support, and the British get something similar with the Tobruk fortified list from north africa.

I haven't personally played with fortified lists myself, but the US fortified list in Devil's Charge looks a bit fragile, mostly because of being reluctant + small platoon sizes (7 before upgrades). The Aussie fortified list in Hellfire and Back looks a bit more potent, but does suffer from being Trained (Veteran is far better for defensive lists, because it means your opponent has to close to within 16" to shoot you most of the time)

However, the main sticking point is what period your local groups play - if they don't play Early War, then you're not going to get much mileage out of the fortified Aussie list (though I'm sure most of it would be usable in a MW El Alamein 9th Australian list).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, you really need to pick a period before you get into list choice.

On a similar note, is it just me or did Battlefront not bother to put out a platoon pack for Early War German Heer Pioneers? I am seriously considering just bodging one together from spare Panzerknacker mans and rifles since I can't find a proper pack anywhere online.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Yeah - some Battlefront packaging decisions are just plain infuriating. I'm currently trying to build a Late War US Rifle Company, but the Rifle company box set comes with only 2 Rifle Platoons, so to get a 3rd, I need to either have a metal rifle platoon, or buy a box and throw poo poo away.

Am traditionally a Brit player (I can basically field any LW Brit Rifle, Armoured or Motor Rifles list option, except for Archers - don't like those, prefer M10Cs), but got suckered into buying an American army when I saw Grimball's Beasts. Thinking of picking up another one of those as it seems like it's the cheapest way to get a decent American mechanized force - sell the excess pershings (because who needs 6 pershings?), keep the Armoured Rifles and Shermans, and it's cheaper than buying the Arm Rifles and Shermans separately.

EDIT: It seems like I can kill birds with one stone. I can buy a 2nd Rifle company box, build a rifle platoon, and use the other bits to get infantry for a third Armored infantry platoon. All I then have to do is buy half-tracks and I'll have 3 rifle platoons, 3 Armored Infantry Platoons, 2 Sherman Platoons, a 155mm platoon, and all I'll need to get pretty much most US options I'll ever want to play are a box of M3s, a box of M10s, a box of Easy 8s, 2 boxes of Priests, 1 Cav Recon Blister, 4 AA Halftracks and a battery of 105s.......... I can then field some seriously sick 5000 pt or so 3 Company US force (1 Rifle, 1 Arm Rifle and 1 Tank) to go with my 5 Company (8000ish pt) British Force....

gently caress you Battlefront. I like my money. Stop stealing it. The best thing is if I ever get sick of tihs,l I can justify all these purchases as being for another WW2 gaming system....

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 30, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I bought a Warlord Wargames Factory 15mm US infantry box a while back when a friend was putting in an order. I haven't actually even taken possession of it yet, but I have a vague idea that it will become a Bolt Action 15mm force. This scale is evil for pile creep.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Arquinsiel posted:

I bought a Warlord Wargames Factory 15mm US infantry box a while back when a friend was putting in an order. I haven't actually even taken possession of it yet, but I have a vague idea that it will become a Bolt Action 15mm force. This scale is evil for pile creep.

Kind of seriously unimpressed by Wargames Factory. Bought some of their Caesarean Romans when they were on sale (£6), and really not impressed with the detail + pieces were really hard to stick together given that they were plastic + the pieces don't fit together very well. Almost certainly not buying any of their stuff again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Their older stuff certainly sucked, especially with the giraffe necks. I've heard the newer stuff is better, but I haven't bought anything new myself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm really proud of these guys and spam them every chance I get:

(The stiff posed spotters and anti-tank guy are PSC.)

They're predominantly the WGF Soviets, with a handful of modified PSC figures mixed in (typically with WGF heads / guns). I was skeptical at the price, (and after getting burnt on their giraffe-neck vikings) but it's definitely a solid value. I've gotten to build a few of their Germans and US guys, which seem to be about the same quality.

The only "downside" is that they're truescale, so the weapons are a little thin and they look weedy next to "heroic" figures. (I don't actually consider that a downside.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tomdidiot posted:

Kind of seriously unimpressed by Wargames Factory. Bought some of their Caesarean Romans when they were on sale (£6), and really not impressed with the detail + pieces were really hard to stick together given that they were plastic + the pieces don't fit together very well. Almost certainly not buying any of their stuff again.
I haven't looked at them in hand yet, but for 12 euro shipped I'm pretty happy to get a company's worth of US Infantry. I may even throw some of them together to use for FoW, but that's unlikely.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

Their older stuff certainly sucked, especially with the giraffe necks. I've heard the newer stuff is better, but I haven't bought anything new myself.

I've only bought the samurai boxes, but there's a significant improvement from the oldest box to the newest one. I've heard good stuff about their newest AWI boxes too.

Their very oldes boxes are fodder for your back ranks at best.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I just found out Sails of Glory had a "Captain and Crew Ability Deck" but it was limited, and I don't have one. I am now very sad. :(

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Yeah, I was tempted by SoG, but the Kickstarter exclusives and limited stuff really turned me off it. Why do companies feel the need to make everything collectible? Why do people have to feel so strongly about getting exclusive toys nobod else gets to play with?

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Yeah, make the exclusive stuff alternate art or something that doesn't affect the game. Otherwise why would I bother getting the game down the road if I can't have the full experience just because I didn't know about the kickstarter at the time?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The deck isn't strictly necessary, and the rules for it and everything are freely available. I'd be surprised if they didn't reprint them at some point.

Otherwise I haven't been affected by the Kickstarter exclusives. I didn't even know about these until today.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Hi! Have some terrible pictures of my BA MMG. I've painted 7 infantry too, but they aren't based yet so they'll come around soon.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kaza42 posted:

I used to play a 78 Sturmdivision list but I have no idea how they fare in the new edition.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Throbbing blob posted:

Hi! Have some terrible pictures of my BA MMG. I've painted 7 infantry too, but they aren't based yet so they'll come around soon.

Great job on the binoculars!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So, I've come to the conclusion that the new Berlin book for Flames of War is Real Bad. Now I don't play Germans, but I do play Russians and I'm wondering what the gently caress Battlefront thought they were doing by publishing this hot garbage. Only one list might be alright competitively (The IS-2 list isn't even good casually), there's fewer options than they were in Red Bear or even Desperate Measures, and the "Hero" gimmick for the lists just seems to be a cover for "Let's give these guys a minor boost (Not anything that might actually make them substantially better) and then take away half their numbers and support options." Just an awful, awful waste of what could have been a great book.

Edit: I mean gently caress, you can't even take SU-85s! In BERLIN!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
What are you supposed to take, T-60s and bicycles?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Well it is only fair, i mean we DID give you Veteran soviets

*gives the Germans a bunch of stupid prototypes*

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ensign Expendable posted:

What are you supposed to take, T-60s and bicycles?

You can take SU-100s, but the problem with SU-100s in Flames of War is that they only get one shot a turn (Compared to the two shots the SU-85 gets) and they've got the Overloaded rule which basically dooms them to bog down any time they touch the edge of a forest. You can take IS-2s, but IS-2s are bad in Flames (They only get one shot with their main gun and take penalties to hit if they move) and the only option to take T-34s has them in small platoons as "Trained" so they get hit more often than Veterans and thus will die quickly to any kind of concentrated AT fire. The way Flames of War treats Soviets is Real Dumb, and this book is egregiously bad about it.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jul 4, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Flames of War is functionally a wargame based on what the History Channel thinks happened in WW2.

Except it isn't because even the Brits and Germans get shafted lmao gently caress you Phil you eaglefucking piece of poo poo.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Expecting something from Flames of War besides "how many different waffen-ss divisions can we represent" is asking for a bad time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It was a great way to get me interested in historical gaming, but I don't miss playing it.

I wonder if I could sell off my armies....

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Where can I get plastic mounted mongols in 28 mm scale?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Not a viking posted:

Where can I get plastic mounted mongols in 28 mm scale?

http://fireforge-games.com/webstore/mongol-horde ?

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.
Anyone know a skirmish system to play samurai in? Also, where to get the best samurai models (preferably in Europe)?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Commissar Kip posted:

Anyone know a skirmish system to play samurai in? Also, where to get the best samurai models (preferably in Europe)?

Ronin by Osprey.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Commissar Kip posted:

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=152&page=1

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Colonial Air Force posted:

It was a great way to get me interested in historical gaming, but I don't miss playing it.

I wonder if I could sell off my armies....

If you're serious, pm me. What do you have/would be interested in selling off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Commissar Kip posted:

I have some articles about mini options but they are not completely up to date, as I haven't added anything the last years:

http://muraminiatures.com/articles.html

IMHO, for small skirmish games where you don't need a lot of minis, I'd check out Perry Miniatures, Steel Fist Miniatures, Zenit Miniatures (Kensei), and North Star Military Figures, to start with.

For gaming, I've made a simple Mordheim conversion that worked pretty well, if you like the Warhammer kind of system. Otherwise, Ronin is an option, and I've seen a few people use Lion Rampant, also from Osprey. Bushido is more fantasy style, but IIRC they have free rules available that you could check out.