Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Going for the Jihad achievement with Najd and it's the most challenging game I've tried for sure. Highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

PleasingFungus posted:

The unit rebalance was in Art of War, about nine months ago. The removal of monarch point penalties was Res Publica, the patch before.

It all feels like yesterday to me, but I've been playing since HTTT. So many hours sunk into these silly games...

Uh excuse me, some of us have been here since EU2 :colbert:

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I bought a $400 monitor so I could play EU3 since I liked EU2 so much (previous monitor wouldn't run the game, hahaha oh god I am old).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

I think he meant how development was useless to non-Western tech. No they didn't change that.

Oh sorry I didn't mean to sound so harsh, I've just been noticing a lot of boat chat lately :colbert:

Why do there need to be different kinds of boats for non-Europeans though? What would that add? The whole game is an abstraction; it's not like Europeans only used four different types of ships either, or for that matter, relied on armies of entirely longbowmen and knights that exclusively used the "line up in giant rows and poke each other" tactic. And how is naval combat boring or tedious? It's simple for sure, but the whole oceanic and trade systems are abstracted to an extent that without vast overhauls (which they've said aren't possible in EU4) I don't really see how having the naval stuff necessitate more of your attention being away from the land would be a good thing at all.

I agree the suiciding boats thing is super dumb though, but that seems like more of a bug than anything else.
Yeah I'm not even sure what I am saying needs to be done, but the annihilation combat and morale really should change. I say different boats because of cost/utility/effectiveness reasons. Muslims used galleys and Dhows; the Chinese used gigantic Junkers; Africans, Pacific Islanders, and "Primitives" all use a variety of smaller generic vessel. The galleys that Muslims use were used for pirating and combat and often traveled on them too. Natives should get one boat for everything, but can only do one thing at a time with it or something :v:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah I'm not even sure what I am saying needs to be done, but the annihilation combat and morale really should change. I say different boats because of cost/utility/effectiveness reasons. Muslims used galleys and Dhows; the Chinese used gigantic Junkers; Africans, Pacific Islanders, and "Primitives" all use a variety of smaller generic vessel. The galleys that Muslims use were used for pirating and combat and often traveled on them too. Natives should get one boat for everything, but can only do one thing at a time with it or something :v:

Natives only get cogs, Chinese tech group has heavy ships that give trade power (less cost-effective than regular light ships, of course), muslims have galleys that give trade power. Or something.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Beamed posted:

Uh excuse me, some of us have been here since EU2 :colbert:

What's that "2" for there, newbie? :colbert:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

National focus is for scrubs.

Also, Florence/Tuscany can now choose to elect a de Medici on election, who doesn't cost RT and has random stats. Awesome. Although he died and I didn't get the option so maybe that's a one time thing I missed out on.

And wiz, please, fix the thing where sometimes mashing spacebar while autosaving makes the game stop recognizing keyboard input at all.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 2, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Why would anyone want to form Tuscany when that color is so sick. Can't wait to play Florence.

Just sucks that late game Italy is boring since forming Italy gives you a poo poo flag, lame ideas and an awful color

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Allyn posted:

Yes, because otherwise the only route from the east back to Europe is via Alexandria, and would not be able to funnel into the English Channel

Sucks the omani set up those trading posts only for it to go away

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

ulmont posted:

What's that "2" for there, newbie? :colbert:

Out of the way, youngster. Going back to Svea Rike :corsair:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I was actually asking about vs Common Sense release. (I don't remember a monarch point penalty and I'm pretty sure the unit buff was a long time ago.)
The extra coring costs strike a lot harder at non-western tech groups who have fewer points to spare. You also likely won't be developing any provinces.

Star posted:

Out of the way, youngster. Going back to Svea Rike :corsair:
I remember playing that all those years ago. Could never figure it out.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'm sure this has been covered, but why are all of France's neighbors allowed to intervene when France attacks England now?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Did another hotfix just go through, or was my Steam being weird? I didn't notice what the popup said before closing Steam.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Yeah, I downloaded a 1.2MB update for EU4 just now, but can't find anything about what it was.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just posted the DD about the EU4 design process.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Good stuff. I really think you guys could have a thing I you made a short video or podcast series about it though.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Wiz posted:

quote:

Originally, Johan was the sole designer on EU4, taking design input from team members but ultimately making the design decisions himself. Those of you who have been paying attention during the last year may have noticed both that EU4 has gotten more popular, and that the design process has changed somewhat since the start of Res Publica, being more of a divided responsibility between Johan and Martin (Wiz).
:boom:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was quite interesting. And the advantages of not being an AAA studio, which is known as "too big to succeed". Is Paradox an AA or just an A size anyway? :v:

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
I just had the weirdest bug happen. The Papal State annexed Florence and then a coalition formed against me. I was in no way involved in the war.

DeeEmTee fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jul 2, 2015

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

I just had the weirdest bug happen. The Papal State annexed Florence and then a coalition formed against me. I was in no way involved in the war.

Who were you playing as? Are you sure you didn't have a load of AE yourself from past expansion? If you have a load of truces lined up a coalition won't form because the rules of coalitions. And the AI is not likely to form a coalition they won't win, so it might wait till other partners can join.

Or it might be a bug.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DeeEmTee posted:

Papal spindoctors? But what AE did you have? As far as I know the AI usually does coalition stuff outside of wars so maybe the game recalculated for coalitions and other relations when Florence disappeared.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
Oddly enough it happened because I formed a coalition against them. When I left it everyone left the coalition against me. I had about 35ish AE with everyone around me but they had 50! with countries as far away as The Palatinate.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

Oddly enough it happened because I formed a coalition against them. When I left it everyone left the coalition against me. I had about 35ish AE with everyone around me but they had 50! with countries as far away as The Palatinate.

You must've triggered a check or something like that. Over 30 is coalition territory though, so be careful. Likely the AI is not coalitioning the Pope because he has a load of truces, and has good relations with everyone. If he is papal controller then he will have an extra diplomat to improve relations with.

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Another Person posted:

You must've triggered a check or something like that. Over 30 is coalition territory though, so be careful. Likely the AI is not coalitioning the Pope because he has a load of truces, and has good relations with everyone. If he is papal controller then he will have an extra diplomat to improve relations with.

They didn't have good relations with anyone besides their allies at the time. And like I said as soon as I left the coalition against them everyone left the coalition against me. Like states that were friendly with me even joined the coalition against me.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

The unit rebalance was in Art of War, about nine months ago. The removal of monarch point penalties was Res Publica, the patch before.

It all feels like yesterday to me, but I've been playing since HTTT. So many hours sunk into these silly games...

IN was when Europa Universalis was really good, you kids will never know how balanced it was

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005
I also just watched France walk through my entire country and the Papal State is in the process of doing the same.

e:seems like military access is cancelling out fort zones of control in adjacent provinces

DeeEmTee fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 2, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Speaking of AE, has anything changed with that in the last patch or two? I can't tell if it's gotten easier to accumulate AE or if I'm just imagining things and playing a little more aggressively than usual.

Also is there anything that gives any kind of massive AE hit besides just taking a lot of territory? Every once in a while I'll be playing and getting a bit of AE here and there like usual, when suddenly a neighbor or two will be at like -150 or even -200 with me due purely to AE. Is that really all just adding up from caught claim fabrications and nearby annexing, or am I missing something and accidentally pissing my neighbors off?

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

VDay posted:

Speaking of AE, has anything changed with that in the last patch or two? I can't tell if it's gotten easier to accumulate AE or if I'm just imagining things and playing a little more aggressively than usual.

Also is there anything that gives any kind of massive AE hit besides just taking a lot of territory? Every once in a while I'll be playing and getting a bit of AE here and there like usual, when suddenly a neighbor or two will be at like -150 or even -200 with me due purely to AE. Is that really all just adding up from caught claim fabrications and nearby annexing, or am I missing something and accidentally pissing my neighbors off?

Yeah claims give a ton now, same culture group AE is higher and HRE AE is also higher.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

DeeEmTee posted:

They didn't have good relations with anyone besides their allies at the time. And like I said as soon as I left the coalition against them everyone left the coalition against me. Like states that were friendly with me even joined the coalition against me.

Weird. That does sound fishy.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Trying out a one province Frankfurt game. Beginning is a bit risky and you're still gimping yourself by not taking land, but it is pretty satisfying to have nearly 100 development by 1530. That said I'd recommend starting as The Hansa and releasing Hamburg to play as if you want to be more powerful. Lets you have a port and a real COT instead. My Nassau vassal is running out of free CBs so I wonder what if I'll have to go with no CB wars if I want to keep expanding or wait until imperialism.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

aeglus posted:

Trying out a one province Frankfurt game. Beginning is a bit risky and you're still gimping yourself by not taking land, but it is pretty satisfying to have nearly 100 development by 1530. That said I'd recommend starting as The Hansa and releasing Hamburg to play as if you want to be more powerful. Lets you have a port and a real COT instead. My Nassau vassal is running out of free CBs so I wonder what if I'll have to go with no CB wars if I want to keep expanding or wait until imperialism.

This is something people always forget about, but you can get CBs on hard-to-reach targets by opportunistically supporting rebels. It's a bit finicky, and inefficient due to unjustified demands, but it's better than sitting on your rear end for a hundred years.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
I'm really loving Common Sense. The fort changes are so good. I can't believe how improved EU4 is now from release.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wiz posted:

Really weirding me out how you keep referencing yourself in the third person and switching between third and first person plural there.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

Really weirding me out how you keep referencing yourself in the third person and switching between third and first person plural there.

It's because me and Johan co-wrote the post. I didn't realize I slipped in first person perspective.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Poil posted:

Papal spindoctors?
One, two Prince-Electors kneel before you
That's what I said now

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Still a far ways off from finishing the campaign but having about 50 for forcelimit as just OPM Frankfurt is ridiculous. Also not sure if it is because of me messing around with things but the Ottomans sieged Wien in 1520, then promptly got completely destroyed by a coalition war and are now making progress back towards Wien all over again as Austria collapsed. France and Burgundy keep going at it and never make any progress. Sweden is about to form Scandinavia. Muscovy is doing pretty well, so is Poland. Meanwhile, Northern Germany is an all out brawl and I've been making the best of that as I can now that my two marches are iffy on me after converting them to Protestant.

reL
May 20, 2007
Any recommendations on forming Netherlands with Holland? 1446 Burgundian inheritance fired, before I had a chance to declare independence and take Breda. I have Utrecht and I'm in a position to DOW Gelre which will allow me to annex Gelre and Friesland via an (iffy) war.

If I DOW Gelre, make peace with Friesland by making them my vassal, and then annex Gelre into Friesland, will Friesland give Gelre up to Austria when they inevitably demand their imperial territory?

I'm allied with France, but I'm not sure if that will be even close to enough to help me snipe Breda, should I just restart and hope the inheritance doesn't fire immediately?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is Reformed any good? The Fervor bonuses look kinda eh compared to the customizable bonuses for Protestantism.

On another note, any tips for beating Portugal to the Cape in a Dutch game?

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Bold Robot posted:

Is Reformed any good? The Fervor bonuses look kinda eh compared to the customizable bonuses for Protestantism.

On another note, any tips for beating Portugal to the Cape in a Dutch game?
They have that cheapass legacy of the navigator bonus that boosts their range by 30% so it won't be easy.
As Burgundy (my usual go-to prior to the low countries being a web of personal unions now) I've had mixed success with allying with Castile, then DoWing England when they're duking it out with France to (first) capture Calais, but with the nice side effect that England and Portugal are allied, so if you're a bit of a sneak you can probably roll about five guys onto your cogs and land on one of the Macaronesian islands to steal it from Portugal. If you're not starting with your closest port as Calais you can leapfrog with them and use your awesome naval force limit to keep them from being a threat. (and steering all the trade away from Sevilla)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Wiz posted:

It's because me and Johan co-wrote the post. I didn't realize I slipped in first person perspective.

Is Meghalaya ever not going to be a wasteland

• Locked thread