Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Beef Chief posted:

The game is very obvious about it when you get to it, just do the things that isn't attacking Batman and you're good and no it will not lock you out of 100%.

Just to be clear, I absolutely want to lock him up. I want my prison as full as can be. For that outcome you don't attack Batman??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013
I feel like they completely forgot about their two main villains in the ending. Scarecrow might be rocking back and forth in his cell, but he did actually get his way in the end - Batman is unmasked, and after Knightfall the people of Gotham will believe he's dead. He did ruin Bruce's live in the end. And Jason' reaction to Batman's death would have been interesting. I feel like they completely wasted his character- in Under the Red Hood he was hurt when he learnt Batman didn't avenge him by killing Joker- he even tried to blow up the three of them if it meant getting revenge. I wonder how we would feel if he knew Batman carried the dead Joker in his arms. My fault for having way too high expectations in the end.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

89 posted:

Spent about a hour getting graphics settings down and some of the hacks used to make Arkham Knight run well on PC. Loaded it up, everything looked great!

And then I got inside the Batmobile.

I turned off the game. Runs like dogshit in the Batmobile, framerate drops everywhere.

If you turn off motion blur in the ini file that improves framerate (but looks less cool). Turning off AA gives you better lighting and rain textures, and the top two Nvidia options also make the game run slow.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Beef Chief posted:

If I seriously have to wait until November to buy the loving Red Hood DLC they can go gently caress a duck.

It's kinda poo poo, so I wouldn't get too upset. It's just two combat rooms and a predator room, they're not even linked seamlessly like the Harley Quinn DLC, there are loading screens between each one.

Also you can't use him in this games poor excuse for challenge maps, so gently caress that.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
The 30 fps limit seems to help how the game looks. Post patch it still seems to not look quite right with the frame rate unlocked (and any ini tweaks applied). Disabling aa also helps keep it look better (dsr in the nvidia control panel helps with aliasing a bit).

It's gonna need that super patch to play this the way everyone wants.

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
Arkham Knight the villain sucks. On every level. What a boring, horrendously written character. Am I supposed to believe these hardcore mercenaries would take orders from a guy who talks like a petulant bro? Scarecrow's dialogue is pretty cringe-worthy, too, but at least he's got cool powers and looks loving rad. This franchise's take on Scarecrow is probably the best of any medium. I love what they did with him in both this and Asylum. I would have much rather had a Scarecrow Two Face team-up or something.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the fact that I played this game so much and did so much stuff, and then they expect me to get all of these stupid rear end riddler trophies is absolutely pathetic and awful. I loved playing this game but now I don't get to see the ending without doing hours of inane bullshit unfun puzzles.

i thought the batmobile kicked rear end, i loved switching to tank mode for just a second to make really tight turns.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Red Pyramid posted:

Arkham Knight the villain sucks. On every level. What a boring, horrendously written character. Am I supposed to believe these hardcore mercenaries would take orders from a guy who talks like a petulant bro? Scarecrow's dialogue is pretty cringe-worthy, too, but at least he's got cool powers and looks loving rad. This franchise's take on Scarecrow is probably the best of any medium. I love what they did with him in both this and Asylum. I would have much rather had a Scarecrow Two Face team-up or something.

Like I said, it should've been Bruce's dad/brother from an alternate universe, aka Owlman. He has just as much agency, is a mirror-image of Batman, and could've been voiced by James Woods. They could've had more interesting uses for the fear toxin, and Bats's ultimate sacrifice at the end would have more meaning and impact. The story writes itself, honestly.

EDIT: He'd still probably be a lovely boss fight though, because Rocksteady.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 2, 2015

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I haven't gotten to the reveal yet, just defeated his tank, but yeah he is such an impotent dork. I did not know anything about Batman canon, but I admit the flashbacks to him and the Joker worked well to get me up to speed. Same with the interactions and capers with Nightwing and Robin. The bit in the movie studios was kind of transcendent imo- the last time I got to be the dynamic duo was the Sega Genesis game- and it is pulled off much better here.

Aside from how the supervillains are sort of aimless and ineffectual (weren't they supposed to be working together, once again, instead of doing their own thing?) I've liked the story for these games more and more since Asylum, and I'll be sad if the next studio they get to do the sequel can't make it on par with this.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

calling this game "origins-tier" is loving laughable when the only thing origins brought to the table were a few good boss battles and a passable story that was all Joker poo poo anyway. It advanced zero of the mechanics or style of play at all, things Knight does in every respect (combat, predator, batmobile for better or worse)

that being said I was wrong about the excavator fight. it is not that bad compared to that motherfucking shitfest that is the last lap of riddler's final catwoman challenge. Holy loving poo poo. I've never been so angry at a game

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Beef Chief posted:

If I seriously have to wait until November to buy the loving Red Hood DLC they can go gently caress a duck.

To be clear, the red hood DLC is pretty poopy

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beef Chief posted:

You're not missing out on anything.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

UP AND ADAM posted:

If you turn off motion blur in the ini file that improves framerate (but looks less cool). Turning off AA gives you better lighting and rain textures, and the top two Nvidia options also make the game run slow.

It's really amazing how much better the game looks without AA on PC. The city actually looks alive from a distance and the rain looks like rain. Smoke and fog seems to gently caress over systems no matter how good they are too.

spiff_dedalus
Jul 15, 2004
The best-laid plans of mice and men go oft awry.
The final conversation with Catwoman loses a lot of its weight when you finish up the Riddler stuff early in New Game Plus. :v:

Even with how fatalistic Batman acts toward everyone else during the main story, it still feels weird watching that interaction before the main storyline is finished, especially when you consider the dialogue they can have between the puzzles where he has responses that amount to "Yup. Planning to be Batman indefinitely..."

Speaking about the game in general, I have mixed feelings. Like a lot of people have said, there were gameplay aspects that I really enjoyed and that seemed to get hyped up a lot (dual combat/predator mode, for instance) that there just isn't enough of, and there were gameplay aspects that I mostly enjoyed, but that were used to poor effect at times or too often (the Batmobile is cool and I've grown really fond of driving it around the city or calling it in remotely for back-up, but I don't want every goddamn major fight in the game to be a tank battle... I thought the Firefly fight was a pretty good use of the Batmobile, but the Cloudburst tank thing was tedious as gently caress. I actually didn't mind the tunnels; I died a lot, but I felt awesome when I finally did it right).

Otherwise, I think it generally improved on City's gameplay in most ways. Combat is different and harder, but combat was different and harder when I was going from Asylum to City. Hell, I didn't even understand how the combat system actually worked until I was at the end of my hard mode playthrough of Asylum. I just feel like they need MORE. Rocksteady's vision for their trilogy may be complete, but I feel, as a game, there's a shitload more that they can still do with what they've got. Hopefully the DLC delivers on that and in a way that is more substantial than the Harley Quinn and Red Hood modes which feel like they're practically game demos.

If it doesn't, I feel like City is going to ultimately hold up as a better game than Knight, because accomplishing more with less is always going to be better than accomplishing less with more.

Xbox One version, by the way.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm really itching to replay City right now, haven't replayed that one yet and I'm having a batcraving. I liked the open air prison concept.

I don't remember them using the term "batcomputer" in the previous games, I thought it was a bit silly.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

spiff_dedalus posted:

there were gameplay aspects that I mostly enjoyed, but that were used to poor effect at times or too often
I can't believe the tag-team predator mode was only used once in the entire game. It was a ton of fun. I would have liked a lot more Bat-Family gameplay across the board.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Digital Foundry postmortem on the PC version

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

So I finished up the final main story mission last night, and I think I missed something.

The Arkham Knight shows up and shoots the gun out of Scarecrow's hand and frees Batman. Buh? He just shows up, takes the shots, and it's never mentioned again. Is that supposed to imply that Jason feels bad about the whole thing and comes back to help Batman? Is it someone else wearing his suit for some reason?

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 2, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

"There are some grounds for optimism. If we've proved anything, at least we've demonstrated that we have a serviceable bare bones port - something akin to beta code, if you like. It is feature-complete and functional, albeit on selected hardware." I guess that's grounds for optimism.They followup by stating Rocksteady is directly involved in the port which is better than Iron Galaxy at this point, but given the issues they had getting any version to run well it may take a while to get anything done.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

spiff_dedalus posted:

If it doesn't, I feel like City is going to ultimately hold up as a better game than Knight, because accomplishing more with less is always going to be better than accomplishing less with more.

Pretty much this, honestly. Knight has way better predator and combat sequences but the in-between stuff and the side stuff is almost all worse. The strong moments of the game are really strong but the weak moments are really weak.

The best moments of the game are the 'dungeons' I think. The interior sequences that are most like Asylum where the Batmobile is either discarded or used as a walking gadget instead. Stuff like the movie studio or the airships are just plain more interesting and fun than gliding around the city blowing up tanks, even when it comes to collecting Riddler trophies. I noticed that when I was going for the trophies the ones I'd already gotten were almost exclusively the ones in those areas.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Riddler stuff you do carries through to new story+ right? I don't really want to sit down and find 315 loving things in one go but maybe if I get some post game and then hack away at them through a new game it won't be that bad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'm currently making my way through the Airship section of the game, and man is it a good feeling knowing that the Batmobile will not be playing a part anytime soon. This is exactly the type of Batmanning about I love--making my way through some interior space, taking over room by room, using stealth and gadgetry to my advantage.

Serf
May 5, 2011

What I don't get is this: why would the Arkham Knight (who knows Batman doesn't kill) opt for drones instead of just sticking troops in those tanks and rendering that big cannon on the Batmobile totally useless?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Serf posted:

What I don't get is this: why would the Arkham Knight (who knows Batman doesn't kill) opt for drones instead of just sticking troops in those tanks and rendering that big cannon on the Batmobile totally useless?

The same goons Batman gleefully slams into at 80MPH rendering them "unconscious"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serf posted:

It's a video game excuse, basically. The Arkham Knight acts in exact the way the game needs to function. It's also why he bounces between "I just want to kill the Bat" and "I want to make him suffer" depending on the moment. You can argue ti is because he doesn't REALLY want to beat Batman but that just devalues him further as a villain.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Veotax posted:

It's kinda poo poo, so I wouldn't get too upset. It's just two combat rooms and a predator room, they're not even linked seamlessly like the Harley Quinn DLC, there are loading screens between each one.

Also you can't use him in this games poor excuse for challenge maps, so gently caress that.

CuwiKhons posted:

To be clear, the red hood DLC is pretty poopy

Kurtofan posted:

You're not missing out on anything.

At least, I have this to comfort me.

frenton posted:

Just to be clear, I absolutely want to lock him up. I want my prison as full as can be. For that outcome you don't attack Batman??

No, you attack him if you want to do that.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

It's a video game excuse, basically. The Arkham Knight acts in exact the way the game needs to function. It's also why he bounces between "I just want to kill the Bat" and "I want to make him suffer" depending on the moment. You can argue ti is because he doesn't REALLY want to beat Batman but that just devalues him further as a villain.

not like he had much value to begin with

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i am getting tired of game designers making you do something boring 3-4 times instead of just once but fun. like why do i need to sneak up on jason todd, the murdered second robin aka arkham knight over and over again in the sniper section instead of having a martial arts fight? why do i need to blow up the drill tank 3 times? why do all four sides of the cloudburst need to be weakened? why do the militia guys keep blowing millions of dollars in tanks to protect a stupid landmine when they haven't upgraded them to deal with the threat that's dismantling them? why not blow the loving landmine up like an IED when batman drives by or messes with it?

It really takes me out of story driven games with supposed criminal masterminds when they keep getting their asses beat doing the same terrible ai routine while spouting inane taunts about how superior they are.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Real hurthling! posted:

why do i need to sneak up on jason todd, the murdered second robin aka arkham knight over and over again in the sniper section instead of having a martial arts fight?
why do i need to blow up the drill tank 3 times?

Because they add variations and wrinkles to the task with each repetition to increase the difficulty and tension.

Real hurthling! posted:

why do all four sides of the cloudburst need to be weakened?
Because the fight would be over in less than a minute otherwise (yeah, not crazy about that)

Real hurthling! posted:

why do the militia guys keep blowing millions of dollars in tanks to protect a stupid landmine when they haven't upgraded them to deal with the threat that's dismantling them? why not blow the loving landmine up like an IED when batman drives by or messes with it?
Because they aren't just land mines- they're explosives set to destroy everything in about a half mile radius. They're how the militia is keeping the military out of Gotham.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really like the combat in this game more than the others, but the predator challenges even with the added poo poo aren't as fun to me as City's or even Origins'. I like the Batmobile for the most part, but the "stealth" was one of the most frustrating things I've done in these games and I hated it. I'd say City is a much stronger and overall better game, and it'll be a while before I do NG+ in this game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Discendo Vox posted:

Because they add variations and wrinkles to the task with each repetition to increase the difficulty and tension.
its bad though

quote:

Because they aren't just land mines- they're explosives set to destroy everything in about a half mile radius. They're how the militia is keeping the military out of Gotham.
sounds like more pointing a gun at batman's face and not killing him like happens throughout the game.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

No. It's tedious and lazy design.

quote:

Because the fight would be over in less than a minute otherwise (yeah, not crazy about that)
Once again, tedious and lazy design.

I wouldn't mind combat bosses to be variants of the Origins' Martial Artists with larger health pools and varied animations, or something. Basically, they should've just reworked the Lady Shiva or Copperhead bosses. Would've been better than what we got.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it sure builds tension when i get under blind rear end jason todd for the 4th time with zero difficulty and the cutscene punches him for me.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

I can't believe the tag-team predator mode was only used once in the entire game. It was a ton of fun. I would have liked a lot more Bat-Family gameplay across the board.

I'm not sure if it would've worn itself out like the Batmobile, but it sure feels like they focused on the less interesting of their two big gimmicks. And put it this way. The car has never had it's own comic. Every co-op partner in this game, has. (Nightwing, Robin and Catwoman actually still do)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

having a buddy felt incredible up until the stuff with catwoman where its just "nope sorry, this robot is immune to batman"

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I get that batman is a lone wolf and all but for the sake of the game, I wish he had a partner all the time. Maybe the story assigns one for a set piece and maybe you choose when free roaming but it's such a cool addition to the game and it's so restrictive in how it doles out the function.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, like why is Rocksteady so incapable of making a martial arts boss, are they just not confident with their abilities to do it or something? Because it's not like their other bosses have ever been any good except Mr. Freeze and he personifies one of the game's best features, the predator stuff. Like for all of the forgettable things about Origins, the one reason Deathstroke was a fun boss was because he also personified one of the best things about these games, the freeflow combat and use of gadgets mid combat to respond and take down enemies. It was a cool and fun fight and showed that WB Montreal could at least do one thing Rocksteady didn't right. Making two boss fights of characters who are established as trained hand-to-hand fighters on par with Batman into lovely tanks fights and a sniper fight is like the laziest thing and also sucks from a narrative perspective.

Real hurthling! posted:

having a buddy felt incredible up until the stuff with catwoman where its just "nope sorry, this robot is immune to batman"

The buddy stuff was a ton of fun and I wish the game had more of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I actually liked the Bat/Cat robots, it gave you a reason to switch that wasn't just 'meter is full, guess I better hit L1'.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gaz-L posted:

I actually liked the Bat/Cat robots, it gave you a reason to switch that wasn't just 'meter is full, guess I better hit L1'.

no robot is immune to batman :colbert:

Beef Chief posted:

Yeah, like why is Rocksteady so incapable of making a martial arts boss, are they just not confident with their abilities to do it or something? Because it's not like their other bosses have ever been any good except Mr. Freeze and he personifies one of the game's best features, the predator stuff. Like for all of the forgettable things about Origins, the one reason Deathstroke was a fun boss was because he also personified one of the best things about these games, the freeflow combat and use of gadgets mid combat to respond and take down enemies. It was a cool and fun fight and showed that WB Montreal could at least do one thing Rocksteady didn't right. Making two boss fights of characters who are established as trained hand-to-hand fighters on par with Batman into lovely tanks fights and a sniper fight is like the laziest thing and also sucks from a narrative perspective.

The buddy stuff was a ton of fun and I wish the game had more of it.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Did you even have to take out the dudes in the sniper fight or could you just walk over and grapple up anyway. In the last stage there were the two turrets that I just ignored.

• Locked thread