Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Maleketh posted:

Ah poo poo, my Chaos run is forcing me to fight Soul Cannon with four Geomancers. How hosed am I?

Pretty hosed, given that you're stuck with a !Gaia that doesn't work and Mage Mashers/Diamond Bells/Main Gauche as your main form of offense. You're not going to break 300 damage an attack unless you grind to unhealthy levels that you really don't need to grind to.

Start grinding Elixirs (and levels).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

KataraniSword posted:

Pretty hosed, given that you're stuck with a !Gaia that doesn't work and Mage Mashers/Diamond Bells/Main Gauche as your main form of offense. You're not going to break 300 damage an attack unless you grind to unhealthy levels that you really don't need to grind to.

Start grinding Elixirs (and levels).

I'm thinking I might Job Fair this (I don't really have the time to do that much grinding), but I hear Job Fair doesn't work properly with Chaos runs. That right?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Maleketh posted:

I'm thinking I might Job Fair this (I don't really have the time to do that much grinding), but I hear Job Fair doesn't work properly with Chaos runs. That right?

It's impossible to tell which one you're replacing, since it reorders them before it gives them to you. You'll definitely replace something with the new class, but it might not be your geomancer.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Prism posted:

It's impossible to tell which one you're replacing, since it reorders them before it gives them to you. You'll definitely replace something with the new class, but it might not be your geomancer.

Welp, guess I'm done then. :( I do not have it in me to do that much grinding.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Prism posted:

That seems like a pretty heavy flaw. Perhaps RK should look into handling Job Fairs for Chaos manually.

I suppose I should get my Chaos runs down before I start to get overly sick of any particular class.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maleketh posted:

Dude, come on. I'm sure one of the organizers can help you out manually if need be.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Maleketh posted:

You could steal the set of codes to unlock all jobs for Bartz from the Solo Challenge Megathread and use one of your later jobs, as well. Lots of people who're running Chaos runs are using the fiesta mod in the OP that unlocks all jobs from the start (which has both the upside of no "all geomancers on Sol Cannon" and the downside of "Bard/Geomancer on Liquiflame", so... double edged sword :v:).

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

:bang:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Lots of people who're running Chaos runs are using the fiesta mod in the OP that unlocks all jobs from the start (which has both the upside of no "all geomancers on Sol Cannon" and the downside of "Bard/Geomancer on Liquiflame", so... double edged sword :v:).

That's... actually a very attractive option. I would feel obligated to restart the game (since I used nothing but Freelancers up through Liquid Flame and decimated everything), but I'm okay with that.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

I assume you're only killing them in Old Man form, right? That's the only way they can drop staffs. Farming Metamorphs sucks.

TiredDaemon
Jul 14, 2006

Xythar, Kill: Spoonsy, ##Vote: TiredDaemon

Appologies if this was answered somewhere, but I may have missed it. I have 3 berserkers and a dancer. Does dancer give my berserkers anything of value besides equip ribbon?

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Schwartzcough posted:

I assume you're only killing them in Old Man form, right? That's the only way they can drop staffs. Farming Metamorphs sucks.

Yeah, they're weak to the Air Knife in that form so I can kill them before transforming... but ugh...

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

TiredDaemon posted:

Appologies if this was answered somewhere, but I may have missed it. I have 3 berserkers and a dancer. Does dancer give my berserkers anything of value besides equip ribbon?
Nope.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Anyone have any experience getting cheat codes to work on VBA-M? I'm trying to use 3200F06E:0000, which is supposed to prevent being attacked by Gil Turtle in the Gil Cave (which is a timesaver more than anything, since I would just abuse the quicksave glitch otherwise), but it keeps telling me the first 8 digits are an Invalid Address. The only exception is entering it as a Gameshark code, in which case it doesn't add the code to the list at all.

EDIT: Huh, nevermind. It suddenly started working as a Gameshark code, so now I'm off!

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 2, 2015

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

TiredDaemon posted:

Equip Ribbon lets them wear all the dancer-exclusive gear, so you could always slap a Dancing Dagger + Lamia's Crown onto a zerker for more sword dancing, or the Man Eater at late-game if you have some humans you really need to get your murder onto.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Just tried out using !Hide to run Atomos out of MP. Takes about two hours.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Archenteron posted:

Equip Ribbon lets them wear all the dancer-exclusive gear, so you could always slap a Dancing Dagger + Lamia's Crown onto a zerker for more sword dancing, or the Man Eater at late-game if you have some humans you really need to get your murder onto.

Really though, Ribbon + Hermes Sandals + Genji Shield + Berserk = a Berserker that's immune to drat near everything. In fact, it might actually be everything. Imma look into that real quick.

EDIT: Nope, they're still open to Zombie. And apparently Ribbon blocks Petrify like the Aegis Shield does, so I replaced it with the Genji Shield since that also adds Mini immunity, which Ribbon misses.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Alright, got my fire crystal unlocked, and let's see... It's a bard!

So now I've got black mage, summoner and bard. I like this, though my group is particularly squishy.

I've never used a bard to any capacity, anything I should make sure to grab?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mordaedil posted:

The pianos.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mordaedil posted:

So now I've got black mage, summoner and bard. I like this, though my group is particularly squishy.

There's a song (I think it's the magic-boosting song, so potentially pretty important for you) that you can only grab in that tiny window after arriving at the Library of the Ancients in World 3 but before finishing the pyramid- go up to the roof of the library and talk to the guy on the right. Might require you to kill the book enemy up on the roof too.

InfernoBlade
Dec 3, 2006

Bufuman posted:

That seems like a pretty heavy flaw. Perhaps RK should look into handling Job Fairs for Chaos manually.

I suppose I should get my Chaos runs down before I start to get overly sick of any particular class.

The entire JF page is a little jank TBH. It seems like it should automatically load in the jobs you have from your run as $0, and it should correctly handle random and chaos runs by allowing you to pick any job you want for all slots on those jobs. Could definitely use a rework, but it's particularly bad with chaos runs as you pretty much have to pay for every character you have if you want to keep them, and it's just flat out not going to work if you've got a party of 3 fire crystal 1 earth crystal jobs and you want to get rid of the goddamn geomancer... you can't have more than two fire crystal jobs in the JF (and taking two would eliminate the option of the earth crystal job).

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Schwartzcough posted:

There's a song (I think it's the magic-boosting song, so potentially pretty important for you) that you can only grab in that tiny window after arriving at the Library of the Ancients in World 3 but before finishing the pyramid- go up to the roof of the library and talk to the guy on the right. Might require you to kill the book enemy up on the roof too.
You don't have to kill the book enemy.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Welp, got Blue Mage/Summoner/Bard/Dancer for a 750 run. Time to laugh at everything the game attempts to throw at me, because this group is arguably zanier than the previous set (that got me my first triple crown in Fiesta).

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mordaedil posted:

Make sure you grab the songs in Lix, Fartz's home town, and Istory, the town in the top right corner of the map, in world one. Those will give you Romeo's Ballad and Alluring Air, which cast Stop and Confuse on all enemies for free. either of those songs mean random battles are you're to control as you see fit. Since you got some mages, make sure you get the magic raising song on the roof of the library in world three. Thats an easy one to miss.

Prancer
Nov 17, 2011

Second run done with Summoner/Berker/Red Mage/Dragoon.

I never had summoner in the fiesta before and turns out, they are really powerful. Everyone summoned all the time and nothing but Omega survived.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Mordaedil posted:

You could get Flame Rings before leaving World 1 if you want; then you can use your Black Mage as a healer if you need to. To get enough Gil, you just have to fight the 5 Black Flame battle 230 times.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

If you get chemist you would be somewhere in the top 3 burst damage teams in the game. Even without chemist you should be fine for the most part. Normal mobs with be a bigger problem than bosses. That is just because at some point you will run out of mp. Even at that point bard will make them a joke that just takes too long to finish (like mad tv :v:)

For Ned
Have two people sing until agility 99 and level 99 in the first stage. kill stage two before anything serious happens

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 2, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I have never played this garbage game before but now I'm playing because apparently it earns money for some garbage children. Monk/Summoner so far.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

I have never played this garbage game before but now I'm playing because apparently it earns money for some garbage children. Monk/Summoner so far.

Congrats! Summoner is enough to coast you through nearly everything. Just make sure to look up all the missable summons.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Pile of Kittens posted:

Haha you're going to "trash" the game :xd:

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 2, 2015

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I have now tasted the power of Flare Blade with a Chemist using Samson's Might and now I don't know if I can ever accept anything else.

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Pile of Kittens posted:

I got these classes and now my monk is just a summoner with lovely item choices. Similarly, my dragoon is a summoner with heavy armor and jump, and my beastmaster is a summoner with a whip and the extra ability to summon a monster I caught.

I haven't figured out what to do with my MP-reducing hairpin, since the summoner is the only one that can wear it, and they get a hypno crown. I could theoretically drop !Control from the summoner, or even go for a !Catch gimmick party, but "everyone is a summoner" seems perfectly capable of steamrolling everything I've run into so far. Maybe it'll flounder against end or optional bosses, idk.

Summoner picks up before monk really drops off, so it should work similarly for you. My regret is not going 1x Monk 3x Summoner as soon as I unlocked the class. You should be able to get some nice ! Summon training in before you're required to switch one to dancer or whatever.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So my White Mage/Time Mage/Bard party just got to Crescent Island and got the Black Chocobo and my party is around level 14... Where should I be grinding right now?

Oh, as an aside. White Mage/Time Mage/Bard is hilarious if you have time to set up buffs and debuffs. It's not if you don't. It's...very not. I had to backtrack to Karnak to buy a pair of Fire Rods to smash over Byblos' fuckin head. My luck is going to give me Dancer for the Earth Crystal.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 2, 2015

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Finally to World 3... haven't had time to do a marathon session so I'm picking at it bit by bit.

Knight / Berserker / Geomancer / Samurai, pretty sure I can't do Shinryu or Omega as I have no way to berserk Shinny or slow down the robot, unless I'm missing something? Geomancer... great for random battles but I was hoping they could use Wonder Wand... nope. :negative:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Right, I'm hitting a wall with Sol Cannon (Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster). I could probably power through by grinding to power up Thundara a bit, but that feels a little cheap. Is there a decent guide/set of tips/whatever for using the Beastmaster? Even back in the day when I played FFV through I didn't really use them. I know there's an accessory in World 2 that makes things easier, but that's about it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tempest_56 posted:

Right, I'm hitting a wall with Sol Cannon (Thief/Red Mage/Beastmaster). I could probably power through by grinding to power up Thundara a bit, but that feels a little cheap. Is there a decent guide/set of tips/whatever for using the Beastmaster? Even back in the day when I played FFV through I didn't really use them. I know there's an accessory in World 2 that makes things easier, but that's about it.

Sulla's SSCC for Beastmaster has a good number of ideas: http://www.garath.net/Sullla/FF/beastmaster.html

Also, I'd go into that fight with two Red Mages, snap Thunder Rods first off to blow the launchers to bits, and release a Sand Bear for a good 2k on the main cannon. Then, just spam Thundaras.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rei_ posted:

So my White Mage/Time Mage/Bard party just got to Crescent Island and got the Black Chocobo and my party is around level 14... Where should I be grinding right now?

Oh, as an aside. White Mage/Time Mage/Bard is hilarious if you have time to set up buffs and debuffs. It's not if you don't. It's...very not. I had to backtrack to Karnak to buy a pair of Fire Rods to smash over Byblos' fuckin head. My luck is going to give me Dancer for the Earth Crystal.

First thing I did after jailbreak was to purchase 5 of every type of rod. Just in case.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

InfernoBlade posted:

The entire JF page is a little jank TBH. It seems like it should automatically load in the jobs you have from your run as $0, and it should correctly handle random and chaos runs by allowing you to pick any job you want for all slots on those jobs. Could definitely use a rework, but it's particularly bad with chaos runs as you pretty much have to pay for every character you have if you want to keep them, and it's just flat out not going to work if you've got a party of 3 fire crystal 1 earth crystal jobs and you want to get rid of the goddamn geomancer... you can't have more than two fire crystal jobs in the JF (and taking two would eliminate the option of the earth crystal job).

I'm curious as to what would happen if you manually tweeted a job fair request instead of going through the site's formatter.
#changeSamDraCheDan12 to pay $12 to get a full set of earth crystal jobs, for instance.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

oldskool posted:

I'm curious as to what would happen if you manually tweeted a job fair request instead of going through the site's formatter.
#changeSamDraCheDan12 to pay $12 to get a full set of earth crystal jobs, for instance.

RK does have to manually process every Job Fair request, so it isn't just processed by Gilgabot. I guess it'd depend on what your run type was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

oldskool posted:

See, that's a bit bugged too, since the site's formatter runs on what pulls you could have in a random run.

Which means Wind for Wind, Wind/Water for Water, Wind/Water/Fire for Fire, etc.

• Locked thread