Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 14: Arcadia or, The Comic Sans of Map Design

So. Desert level.

ARE YOU loving HYPED

Well I am not loving hyped.

Let's get it over with.

he obliges Sophia 's request and heads into the Nabata desert. According to Sophia, her village, Arcadia, is located in a hidden oasis. The village is under attack by Bern, and Roy believes their aim to be the dragons said to inhabit the village.

God loving drat it.

Normally I wouldn't bother to bring fliers on a fog of war map since I have no idea how many archers there are or where, but I'm going to risk it this time since even if there are archers lurking, they will also be slowed by the sand. Compared to Quarth, neither of our pegs is particularly impressive, and I imagine I'll probably just roll Team Wyvern from now on - but flight is still really nice on a map where movement is restricted.

Also pictured, two thieves for vision, and anyone who can either move somewhat freely or at least attack at range

Also I did not buy too many killer bows, you shut your filthy lying mouth.

Wow, this looks inviting.

Follow this path and find a place to hide. Can you make it?

I'm... I'm tired!

Now is no time for complaints. Go, or Bern's soldiers will find us.

What happened to Sophia?

I don't know... She may have been captured by Bern's troops.

But if Bern catches us, then we can see the outside world!

Fae, no. The elder strictly forbids communication with the outside world.

Aw... Please?

No.
...I do wonder how Bern found out about our village, however... Perhaps it is related to the ominous force Sophia detected in the soldiers...

What?

Ah, sorry! Now is not the time for that! Fae! Over here! Hurry!

...I want to see the outside world, too.

Heyyy, I smell recruitable characters!

He sent some sellswords and dragons, but the general himself isn't here.

What on earth is he thinking? How does he expect these sparse troops to tip the odds in our favor...?

King Zephiel must be notified about the dragons living here. Zeiss, go to Aquleia and make a report to His Majesty.

What should I say?

Tell him that dragons do indeed inhabit this village. A captive tells us there are even divine dragons, the most powerful of all.
...Go quickly.

Yes, sir.

Good thing he's gone, he looks like a wyvern rider. :mad:

Yes... These sandstorms have always protected our village from intruders.

I can imagine that most who wander into this mess would give up quickly. I can barely see an arm's length ahead... In what direction do we move?

Head to the northeast... But...

Yes?

There may be objects covered by the sand, blown about by the storm... Please watch your step...

Yeah, we wouldn't want to step on and break that warp staff or anything!

Look at this poo poo.

Imagine what this does to font nerds (who are, by the way, the worst kind of nerds). Well this kind of level does that, except to Fire Emblem players. Though in our case it's FOG OF WAR, BOLD, CAPS LOCK, DESERT LEVEL, WITH HIDDEN ITEMS, AND WYVERNS.

So since I don't hate myself nearly as much as some of you seem to expect,

I've decided to bring out this ancient scroll passed down in my family for generations. "You will know when to use it", they said. For the longest time I had no clue what they meant, but it's all becoming so clear now. Somewhat worryingly, though, it still doesn't note the locations of any enemies who may be hiding...

On the plus side, we have some new characters! Let's take a look at

A shaman from Nabata who can predict the future.

She's level loving one? What the hell is this, punishment in case you wanted to use a shaman but got Raigh killed?

I think not. (+9 levels with average gains @ HP 60, Mag 55, Skl 40, Spd 30, Lck 20, Def 20, Res 55.)

But at least Cecilia has to be useful, I mean, she did fail miserably against Zephiel and all, but he's lategame boss material and most of our units would do poorly against him, so I'm sure that means nothi

The Mage General of Eturia. Roy's instructor in tactics.

what the shitburgling gently caress.

I looked up the stat gains for troubadour to valkyrie and they're HP +4, Mag +3, Skl +2, Spd +2, Def +2, Res +3, and Con and Mov +1. This leaves Cecilia's stats pre-promotion HP 26, Mag 8, Skl 5, Spd 8, Lck 10, Def 5, Res 10.

HP aside, those stats wouldn't be out of place on a first level character.

Let us try this again.

It's a remarkably simple operation. Since Cecilia has the stats of a first level character, I'm giving her the average of 19 levels' worth of stat gains (HP 60, Mag 35, Skl 45, Spd 25, Lck 25, Def 20, Res 25) so she'll actually look like a promoted character.

This means our new and improved Cecilia would have had HP 26, Mag 15, Skl 14, Spd 13, Lck 15, Def 9, Res 15 before she promoted... For fun, let's compare her to the average of our existing casters.

pre:
            HP    Mag   Skl   Spd   Lck   Def   Res
Lugh        26    12    15    16    12     6    11
Lilina      25    19     9    11    14     4    14
Raigh       27    16    13    12     7     6    13
Elen        24    10    11    12    21     1    17
Saul        29    10    13    17     4     4    13
Clarine     23     8    13    19    20     4    13
--------------------------------------------------
Average     26    13    12    15    13     4    14
...19 levels of growth puts her... two points ahead of the average in mag... and two points behind in speed. The best you can say is that she's by far the physically tankiest of the lot, a whole 50% up on the second place takers Lugh and Raigh.

And none of this changes the fact that she force-deployed herself on a desert map while riding a horse. Holy gently caress Cecilia, what is wrong with you? And don't try to claim brain damage from the encounter with Zephiel, I checked your stats before that happened and they were already this bad.

Well either way, none of this is getting that fog of war desert map over with any sooner, so let's get it done so I can go kill myself.

Step one: Torch the place.

Son of a bitch.

Well, might as well make the best of it. Yolo! (except I'm totally going to reload if she dies so she's going to live as many times as it takes)

Well, could have been worse!

Quarth's luck is kind of abysmal and I just happened to have this lying around.

We can't really go very far, most of the people who can move are too fragile to risk it, so it's mostly just a bunch of awkward shuffling.

Shanna finishes him on the next turn.

Noah will be getting a lot of work on this map; he's about the only person on the force who can move and take a hit.

Huh! Well, I'm not going to complain.

Sophia tags along with the fliers. Doesn't seem to be anything in the SW corner, so they head east.

Suddenly wyverns!

Shanna dodges. Good on her!

Suddenly mages! With Elfire!

And a fuckbag priest with a sleep staff on top of that!

Ah... at least there's something nice.

No more out of you!

Look at this level. It is beautiful.

Can you spot the mistake I made? Hint: It's moving Sophia east instead of west.

I used Wolt as bait to draw out the wyverns. Now our squishy casters can roast them, and Wolt can snipe anything that's left when they're done.

...Not helping.

There was something left, but not so much now.

Nice things!

Kinda meh things, killing a mage that ran up and pestered her.

Not bad. Chad is a rad lad, not a cad, and has no reason to be sad.

Except like the dumb gently caress I am I put Sophia in range of three wyverns with 50% hit rates and 20 attack. I can't even blame the fog of war or desert for that, I'm just an idiot sometimes.

Let's try that again.

This time, I'm sending the promoted shaman down below, while Sophia hangs out with the other underlevelled and underappreciated ones.

Helping even less!

That's something, at least.

And I suddenly noticed that Roy and Wolt are ready for their final support. Let's get to it! No one has ever seen this before, because no one has ever used Wolt. Believe it.

What?

You do not look well. Is there something on your mind?

Actually, there is. Would you mind if we talked about it?

Of course not! I'll do my best to help.

You see, I'm a bit frustrated with someone in the army. I understand where he's coming from, but...

You understand him logically, but your feelings don't agree. Is that it?

Yes, exactly. My feelings don't align with what I know to be true. And when I start feeling frustrated, I feel like telling him.

Then do so! It is bad for your health to keep your feelings bottled up. Besides, we all know you are in a stressful position I'm sure he will understand if you feel the need to vent.

Do you think so?

Of course! If you want, I can go talk to that person. I will always support you, so don't hesitate to ask anything of me.

Thanks, Wolt. I feel better now.
But enough chatter! We have to get moving!

Yes, Lord Roy!
...By the way, tell me who it is you're frustrated with. I will sit him down and have a frank discussion...

No, it's all right now.

Really? ...Who was it?

He's closer than you realize.

What? Where?
...Was it... me?

You got it!

Lord Roy!

Well, all's well that ends well, I guess. I was considering maybe seeing if we could get Roy married or something, but I just couldn't leave it alone after that B support. Well, who needs marriage when you have Wolt, right?

(Also note the S-rank. When we get a legendary bow... :getin:)

Sophia isn't very good, even compared to my benchwarmers, but she is kinda tanky. That 0 damage...

Dorothy kills the mage again and gets a different level. I think I like this one better.

Nah.

Chad kills one of the wyverns. He's going to cap that speed long before he hits level 30.

I thought these were supposed to be hard for non-thieves to pick up!

Saul uses his torchystaff. This guy is promoted and has a killing edge. Also, I'd like to have Sophia attack the priest on top, but then she'd be in wyvern range and we all know how that would end. She nukes the closest merc instead. Very nice to have that wall there, so we can snipe without repercussions!

It's nice to have my promoted characters able to fight promoted enemies, too.

They can actually gain EXP that way.

Quarth airdropped Cecilia over here. She can't really move, but she does come with Aircalibur, which one-shots most fliers.

And no bullshit out of you!

Lilina does better this time.

That only leaves the manakete up here - one of very few things Wolt can't just one-round without effort.

To think, dealing with the wyvern brigade is much easier when you know they're there.

Also this bishop is pissing me off with his staff-waggling.

I regret everything:

Somehow, Shanna still manages to live through it, and even profit... if not as much as last time, rip beautiful strength level :(

Noah forges ahead and... runs straight into another manakete, gently caress me.

He's sturdy enough to survive the encounter, though. And as strange as it seems, he then burns the fire dragon to death.

Lilina burns a man to death. God drat it Lilina you are so loving benched.

That's something.

And that's really something! Man, if I hadn't just filled my inventory with killer bows...

Wolt and Roy weren't enough, we have Saul and Dorothy's A-rank as well!

What is it? I still haven't heard a valid explanation.

Dorothy, I am sorry. I am sorry I... never understood your feelings.

...Huh?

I understand perfectly now. You dislike my flirting because I've always left you out of it.

Wha...?!

Dorothy, I never knew that you had such strong feelings for me...

Ah, er, um... Th-that was just...

But I am a servant of the gods. I must be equally caring to all women. Please forgive me, Dorothy...

Uh... Um, er... I...

How did that sound, Dorothy?

...Wh-what?

I pondered deeply, and that was the best excuse I could come up with.

Our loving gods would not approve of you pointing your bow at an ally...

I don't care! Get out of my sight before I fill you with arrows!

Sigh... What are you so upset about now?

Your blockheadedness!

:confuoot:

I foresee a long and difficult road ahead.

And I'm not talking about the desert level.

Dorothy takes out her aggressions on this bishop.

Sophia is not so lucky. All these mercs can double her for 75% of her max HP per hit. I don't see the other two doing much better, either. We'll have to be careful with them.

Quarth carries Cecilia to the enemies again. But then, suddenly...

Oh god what :gonk:

Yes, Rose, I most certainly did.

These two idiots bounce back and forth with just about every line. Normally I try to show off any movement on the screen, but I don't want to look at that for 40 screens.

They must be headed for the hidden village said to be near here, Maggie.

Bless my soul, Rose. I believe you may be correct.

But my sweet Maggie, we wouldn't want to get lost in the sandstorm, would we?

Of course not, Rose. Then we wouldn't be able to find our way home.

Do you think we should give up on the village then, Maggie?

My dear Rose, you forget the rumors say there is great treasure in the village.

Well, we certainly wouldn't want to mis s out on that, would we, Maggie?

Of course not, Rose. It would make us far richer than ambushing travelers has.

But I don't want to get lost, Maggie.

My dear Rose, hear me out. We need only follow closely behind the group we saw heading into the desert. That will ensure they lead us right to the village.

What a wonderful idea, Maggie. And once we reach the village, we can thank them by mashing their heads in.

Marvelous, my dear Rose.

Let's be off then. Shall we, Maggie?

Why certainly, my dear Rose.

They're going to start preaching to the dragons about the free market, we have to do something :gonk:

Cath will not be the person doing it, as she will be too busy running like hell.

Not that the brigands will be able to catch her, but there are worse things lurking around here.

Meanwhile, the mercs and heroes charge at Quarth and Cecilia, and this is a very nice level.

Killing edges make me nervous when they're not being used by me. You need to go.

HP only levels don't do much for my mental state either, Cecilia!

The trio of mercs by our mages start moving up. This means Dorothy can nail one of them with her killing bow.

Sweet!

This in turn means that there's room for the casters to attack this guy, since the other one can't reach them if they attack at range. It's fine as long as two of them can hit him.

It's not fine what have I done to deserve this I mean apart from the bit where I got you killed but I reset the world after that, you are not supposed to remember.

Whole lot of shuffling going on.

But we're almost done with the enemies we can see. Cecilia finishes this one.

The mages finish their last guy as well.

Time to go visit some houses.

If you're really lucky, you might find something good. Try looking around the bones.

If all I had to go by were the bones, I'd be pretty b... you know what, let's not.

He is said to race through the skies and protect all living things. They say that with his blessing, wyvern riders and pegasus knights can fly freely without danger...

Well they can still get shot; it'll just do normal damage. Either way though, a Delphi shield would be nice to have; I'd be a lot less scared of fog of war, at least.

For now, Quarth will need to make do with a luck increase.

Nearly done now...

And Cecilia is in range to take on the boss.

A mercenary hired by Bern. Leads the attack on Nabata.

Not... the most impressive stats for a level 10 promoted unit. He has a Light Brand, which is a sword that shoots lasers. I want one, but I can't have it. I'll have to kill him to make myself feel better.

He can two-shot her though, so she'll let him initiate this.

Will you die by the blade... or by its light?

Which he obediently does on the next round. It goes as expected.

Pew pew laser sword!

Hello there, brigands.

It's an honor to die by your hand...

Goodbye there, boss.

At least it's more than one stat.

Roy is pretty useless with his close range attack and two move in desert terrain, so Shanna drops him here.

OH poo poo THEY'RE HERE

KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT

A brigand living in the deserts of Nabata.

Why does it have to be berserkers...?!

Quarth can deal with the regular brigands well enough despite WTD.

And even profit.

...That's a whole drat lot of brigands! And the very topmost one...

A brigand living in the deserts of Nabata.

...berserker #2.

Well out of crit range, Cecilia buys some more Aircaliburs.

This could be trouble...

Noah can't finish Rose without a crit, and we are sorely lacking killer tomes. Now we'll have to risk taking a crit ourselves next turn.

Almost done!

Rose doesn't crit.

Maggie makes a very crucial mistake.

"...Again."

"Please stay down this time."

At least something nice came out of that.

More brigands to the slaughter. More rust on Quarth's killer lance.

uh

well poo poo, there were more of those than I expected.

What a beautiful ring...

Sophia picks up the final treasure, a guiding ring (:woop:)...

...uh, I...

Um, bye!

Sophia, where are the villagers?
Sophia, are you OK? What's wrong?

...The entrance to the temple...

This door...? It looks like it's been forced open. What lies inside the temple?

Something we call a legendary weapon... It is a spell tome...

A legendary weapon?! There's one here, too?!
...That must be what Bern was after! Are we too late?

It is still here... I can sense it...

We may still be able to stop Bern!

We'll see about that next time.

Join us then, because I'm pretty sure something is going to Bern.

Until then, please enjoy this calming image of Quarth critting an obnoxious motherfucker with a sleep staff. It is good for the soul.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Wophia?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I've been under a lot of stress, okay

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Truly the grim specter of ol' Maggie is the scariest villain in the game. And drat, you're not lucky with your Lilina. With her poor average Speed, getting behind on it is just miserable. Although at least she still has good Mag.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Insurrectionist posted:

Truly the grim specter of ol' Maggie is the scariest villain in the game. And drat, you're not lucky with your Lilina. With her poor average Speed, getting behind on it is just miserable. Although at least she still has good Mag.

Which... she is also getting behind on. I think creating Noah drained all the luck out of Lilina, and I don't just mean the stat that involves critical hits.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wow, i looked up the average Lilina and you're right, I am not lucky with her.

pre:
Lv. 11    HP      Mag     Skl     Spd     Lck     Def     Res
Average   20.5    12.5    7       7.5     9       3       10.5
Actual    19      13      6       6       5       3       10
Diff     - 1.5   + 0.5   -1      -1.5    -4       0       -0.5
:stare:

One point of luck, over ten levels, with a 50% growth. I had to go check that I hadn't accidentally changed it or something, but... no. She has just decided to be this bad.

Well I know who's not getting my shiny new guiding ring.

Insurrectionist posted:

Truly the grim specter of ol' Maggie is the scariest villain in the game.

By a landslide.

This song might make things better though!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 27, 2015

Dwarsen
Jan 27, 2004
Dungeon Master
But...he's holding a mend staff...

Blogkb - because you too like video games, old and new (it's just a blog)

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

the lady was for returning after all

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Clearly the solution is to bling the hell out of Lilina with all the stat-boosting items you have.

All of them.

Forever.

Damnit Lilina we will make you functional one way or another.

Clearly Wolt gets the boots, though. Dude's loving earned them. Him or Roy.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

After seeing Roy get to level 21 and Wolt's amazing critical, I regret that I cannot vote this thread 6.

Also vilkacis you don't seem to be using Gonzales. This is a most egregious error that I hope you will shortly fix it.:colbert:

Because Gonzales is amazing even without you doing hilarious things to help him out.
Hint. Hint.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 28, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

fade5 posted:

Also vilkacis you don't seem to be using Gonzales. This is a most egregious error that I hope you will shortly fix it.:colbert:

Because Gonzales is amazing even without you doing hilarious things to help him out.
Hint. Hint.

He took the B route, so Gonzales is overlevelled and underpowered. :(

Unless he fixed that and I forgot.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

AlphaKretin posted:

He took the B route, so Gonzales is overlevelled and underpowered. :(

B route Gonzales is still an awesome unit. Everyone uses him though so I'm all right with vilkacis trying other guys out instead.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Use Gonzales, Vilkacis.

And somehow Quarth's sprite weirds me out even more than good old Maggie's.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

There's been suspiciously few comments on the actual level, I bet you're all mad as hell I only had one death :smugdog:

Dwarsen posted:

But...he's holding a mend staff...

Are you saying one priest can't own more than one staff? You staffist :mad:

ddinkins posted:

the lady was for returning after all

But now we're returning her to sender.

Shei-kun posted:

Clearly the solution is to bling the hell out of Lilina with all the stat-boosting items you have.

I... kinda don't have a lot of them left, though. I've actually used them on units who kind of maybe sort of deserved them a little bit

quote:

Clearly Wolt gets the boots, though. Dude's loving earned them. Him or Roy.

I don't think Wolt needs the boots, he has 6 move as a sniper and I still haven't needed to spend a single use of that longbow yet. Roy is definitely a candidate, though.

fade5 posted:

After seeing Roy get to level 21 and Wolt's amazing critical, I regret that I cannot vote this thread 6.

:patriot:

quote:

I have so many units, though, I can't use all of them! And I kinda filled up my inventory with killer bows/lances/edges and didn't have room for any axes :saddowns:

AlphaKretin posted:

I gave him metal joints, does that count? Didn't touch his stats.

GeneX posted:

And somehow Quarth's sprite weirds me out even more than good old Maggie's.

It's the way she's curiously familiar, yet looks nothing like the lady with the butterfly mask in that one early map, isn't it?

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I think my favorite part about most of the portrait changes is that it's been so long since I played this game/read an LP of this game that I don't remember what they look like anyway. :allears:

vilkacis posted:

There's been suspiciously few comments on the actual level, I bet you're all mad as hell I only had one death :smugdog:

To be honest, I've always really enjoyed desert maps and fog of war maps. The more bullshit, the more I enjoy it. This map is pretty great in my book.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Honestly, with all the changes you made, I expected you to do something hilarious to break the desert chapter over your knee.

Although, I never really imagined just how bad Cecilia actually was until you pointed it out with the promotion gains vs. stats. :stare:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

vilkacis posted:

It's the way she's curiously familiar, yet looks nothing like the lady with the butterfly mask in that one early map, isn't it?

I actually think it's because of her hairstyle that goes completely straight by her neck, and also the razor-thin tiara on her forehead.

But the deja-vu contributes, yes.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I still have nightmares about this map. Astol breaking all of his swords surrounded by Brigands, Sophia dying over and over again, Wyverns out of nowhere... so glad to see you kick it's rear end.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

To be honest, I've always really enjoyed desert maps and fog of war maps. The more bullshit, the more I enjoy it. This map is pretty great in my book.

And here I thought I had heard everything...

AradoBalanga posted:

Honestly, with all the changes you made, I expected you to do something hilarious to break the desert chapter over your knee.

Even I can't be that hilarious :negative:

quote:

Although, I never really imagined just how bad Cecilia actually was until you pointed it out with the promotion gains vs. stats. :stare:

It's baffling. And really annoying, too. You actually get to check out Percy's stats on the previous map before he leaves, and he actually looks like a promoted unit, so... I'm not sure what they were thinking. Especially since we're well out of Jeigan territory now, and are starting to promote our own units, who are probably going to be at least as good as Cecilia even if we do it straight away at level 10... Ugh.

GeneX posted:

I actually think it's because of her hairstyle that goes completely straight by her neck, and also the razor-thin tiara on her forehead.

It's not that thin.

I mean, three pixels isn't a lot, but her actual face isn't more than like 30-35 pixels tall.

Logicblade posted:

I still have nightmares about this map. Astol breaking all of his swords surrounded by Brigands, Sophia dying over and over again, Wyverns out of nowhere... so glad to see you kick it's rear end.

To be fair though, I'd probably have had Sophia die more than once if I hadn't been cheating.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

It's not that thin.

I mean, three pixels isn't a lot, but her actual face isn't more than like 30-35 pixels tall.

When her glasses take up 20% of her sprite and there's a 3 pixel wide line above them, it's pretty weird. It looks like she has wrinkles.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 28, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

vilkacis posted:

And here I thought I had heard everything...

Even I can't be that hilarious :negative:

It's baffling. And really annoying, too. You actually get to check out Percy's stats on the previous map before he leaves, and he actually looks like a promoted unit, so... I'm not sure what they were thinking. Especially since we're well out of Jeigan territory now, and are starting to promote our own units, who are probably going to be at least as good as Cecilia even if we do it straight away at level 10... Ugh.

It's not that thin.

To be fair though, I'd probably have had Sophia die more than once if I hadn't been cheating.

They were thinking that if you wanted the Milf option (Non-spoiler, Cecilia is a waifu for Roy. So is Sophia) you were going to be punished. Honestly with those stats she's pretty busted, she has an Anima rank and supports with Roy and Lilina, who of the best units support-wise in the game with Fire and Light, and they make a good triangle.

Also I hope you don't expect anyone by Roy to have endings, that's just how this game is dumbly programmed.

code:
0868BFCC - ending table
format:
8 bytes per entry, ordered by character ID; eg Lilina has ID 0x26 (38), so the 38th entry is her ending data
XXXX YYYY ZZZZ WWWW
XXXX = normal ending
YYYY = ending to use if A support with Roy
ZZZZ = Short ending
WWWW = Title to use
0809172C - determines ending used?
        @0809181a - Call to 0809101c; checks if the unit A-supports with Roy
Also You only get the full endings of the units you bring to the final map, I actually have a fix for this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

GeneX posted:

When her glasses take up 20% of her sprite and there's a 3 pixel wide line above them, it's pretty weird. It looks like she has wrinkles.

Hm. Well, I could always just remove it :v:

Better?

Onmi posted:

They were thinking that if you wanted the Milf option (Non-spoiler, Cecilia is a waifu for Roy. So is Sophia) you were going to be punished.

What is this "waifu" you speak of, please use proper English.

quote:

Honestly with those stats she's pretty busted, she has an Anima rank and supports with Roy and Lilina, who of the best units support-wise in the game with Fire and Light, and they make a good triangle.

Well Roy has an A-rank with Wolt now so she's getting at most a B-rank from him, and I don't see Lilina getting a lot more use after her latest levels. Plus her growths aren't exactly stellar.She's pretty good now, but I imagine she'll start falling behind.

Even if she doesn't though, I'd rather have a character who's been hyped up by the story over- than underpowered.

quote:

Also You only get the full endings of the units you bring to the final map, I actually have a fix for this.

So they decided it was better to spend time and effort creating shortened versions of the endings for people who weren't in the final battle, rather than just playing the full thing for everyone? ... I guess I can kinda see where they're coming from, but... they could have used that time and effort to give Cecilia proper stats or something.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vilkacis posted:

Better?

What is this "waifu" you speak of, please use proper English.

Well Roy has an A-rank with Wolt now so she's getting at most a B-rank from him, and I don't see Lilina getting a lot more use after her latest levels. Plus her growths aren't exactly stellar.She's pretty good now, but I imagine she'll start falling behind.

Even if she doesn't though, I'd rather have a character who's been hyped up by the story over- than underpowered.

So they decided it was better to spend time and effort creating shortened versions of the endings for people who weren't in the final battle, rather than just playing the full thing for everyone? ... I guess I can kinda see where they're coming from, but... they could have used that time and effort to give Cecilia proper stats or something.

So like... at the ending because you can only take 8 characters, Roy and another, like it runs the full endings for them and then goes "And they were called the Neo-crusaders" or something like that, like it's meant to be "Those guys are the successors to the 8 Crusaders."

But that's dumb.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

vilkacis posted:

Better?

That was a hell of a lot more effort to go to than my mild unease with her sprite deserved, but yeah, it really does look better.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

So like... at the ending because you can only take 8 characters, Roy and another, like it runs the full endings for them and then goes "And they were called the Neo-crusaders" or something like that, like it's meant to be "Those guys are the successors to the 8 Crusaders."

But that's dumb.

I think it sounds kind of neat :shrug:

Still no reason to screw over everyone else, though. Maybe just give the big eight fancier text boxes or something...

GeneX posted:

That was a hell of a lot more effort to go to than my mild unease with her sprite deserved, but yeah, it really does look better.

It wasn't that much effort. Besides, I was actually thinking I should remove it at some point, but never got around to it for some reason. I actually did remove it in the version with the "Marth" mask, so I'm not sure why I didn't just keep that for this one. Oh well, better late than never!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

vilkacis posted:

As someone who tends to play max matchmaker in these games I'm am irrationally annoyed that you have to choose between love and friendship in this one.

Unless this game is very socially progressive as well as endorsing revolution by the proletariat...

More happy endings! More people ascending into marital drudgery bliss!

Munin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 1, 2015

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 14x: The Infernal Truth or, The Infernal Level Design

One of the legendary weapons is said to be hidden within. Roy and company are hot on the trail of Bern's troops, who have already made their way into the temple...

Spoiler: They will not be leaving.

All you useless fucks from last time, out!

We believe it is inside this altar, but we can't get it open...

We haven't much time.

We don't have the manpower to break it open right now!

Once we clean up the enemy, we will have all the time we need to open the altar.

Spoiler #2: No.

There's so much... water.

The desert is an ocean with its life underground... Wait, I don't think that's how it went.

This is the reason plants and animals can live in our village...

So this is the source of the oasis. Still, how did you find such an ideal location?

Athos... Archsage Athos led us here...

You mean the Athos of the Eight Legends?

Yes... After the Scouring... Archsage Athos traveled all across Elibe... At the end of his journey, he discovered a village with both man and dragon... He told us it was only a matter of time until we were discovered...

So he brought everyone into the desert...

Yes... he hid his legendary weapon within this temple...

So... can we use this legendary weapon?

The Archsage said that we were to use his weapon to protect Arcadia... As long as you use it... to save Elibe and to protect us... then of course...

It will be invaluable. Thank you.

Some of the pathways in this temple will suddenly sink into the water... Please be careful...

Insert the usual "FE7 what now?" grumbling, Athos didn't hide poo poo, but we'll roll with it.

And son of a bitch, I can already tell this is going to be bad. Also I'm not sure what to think of the boss, I don't like beating up helpless oldtimers.

A lieutenant of Bern who led the attack on Arcadia.

However, a second glance...

...happily reveals that there aren't any of those around.

If that wasn't enough, this rear end in a top hat has one too!

And this guy has Eclipse I guess but no one cares about Eclipse.

It's going to suck so hard. This berserker could have been dangerous...

...but since it's the first fight of the map, I'm willing to be a bit reckless.

All he manages to do is to make Shanna suck just a little bit more.

That sprite does not look like his portrait.

He shouldn't be able to one-shot anyone with that, even if he hits. And he only has five shots.

Oh, that was a brilliant idea.

Argh! Floor!

One more Bolting usage down.

Oh yeah, use anti-axe weapons on the pegasus knight, good idea.

Floor :argh:

Here, too?

You need to go.

Quarth stabs a pirate. Strength is good!

Roy can one-round this guy. With his iron sword.

Quarth eats a Bolting on the next round. It hurts like a motherfucker.

All the rest miss, though.

What is this poo poo?

And what is this poo poo?! Someone doesn't want to promote.

Dorothy, meanwhile,

...does want to promote. Just five more levels!

I'm not so sure about Fir, but she's still okay I guess. She gets this finishing off the Eclipse druid.

And Saul gets this uh... doing whatever it is you do when someone is "wounded" after gaining more HP. Not bad, Saul!

-1 Bolting!

-1 pirate!

And this could have been very, very bad, but Shanna, as usual, performs stunningly well under pressure and dodges the entire rest of the enemy force up there.

:sweatdrop:

Well, all's well and so on. Also I could have waited another 40 heal staff uses to promote Saul, or I could not give a gently caress and do it now. Guess which one I picked!

Promotion comes with a silly hat apparently?

Shanna steals Quarth's elixir. Doing it at 1 HP is optimal elixir usage! :pseudo:

Dear me, Maggie... This hurts, doesn't it?

I thought myrms were supposed to be dodgy!

Well. The boss is done. The other sage has three uses left.

And he can't reach Quarth from where he's standing, and he hasn't moved so far, so this should be safe.

The people who can actually move get started on the enemies that are within range.

Seriously, what even is this poo poo?

:sigh:

Not really helping...

I've run out of things to say. Can you tell I've run out of things to say? Because I have.

Two uses now.

DOT DOT DOT

Well that's marginally better I guess.

Quarth is out of elixirs, so Shanna plays bait. She's better at that, at least, if nothing else.

You motherfuckers.

Ogier stabs a druid.

Dorothy finishes a druid.

WE'RE DONE

not that anyone can actually reach the boss mind you

Revenge is a dish best served by me, at the end of a +crit weapon.

Stop! Promo time!

:c00l:

loving. Floor.

This is the last normal enemy.

The boss isn't what you'd call an ideal match for Schwarth, even after promotion.

Noah fares better.

But I let Dorothy spill the last of the watery old man blood,

...so she can get closer to promotion.

Then we airdrop Roy into the vacated chair.

Boom shakalaka. Now let's never do that ever again.

It won't open...

Only those of the village may open the altar... Please allow me...

There... This is the legendary weapon.

:siren: Sophia ended a sentence with a single period and not an ellipsis :siren:

Athos used this? Then it's...

Yes... It is the Infernal Truth. Forblaze...

She did it again!

The world is going to end.

Sophia brought me here. I came to protect the village.

Sophia...? Then it was you who drove off Bern's soldiers? Oh dear... Please forgive me. I am the elder of Arcadia.

The elder... Are you a dragon?

A dragon... I have been called that before. But that was a time long past.

Let me think... Yes, the only real dragon we have now is Fae right here.

This little girl is a dragon?

Yes, though she has not yet matured.

"She'll be ready to drink once we've stored her in the cellar for another 400 years."

Elder, do you know anything about the dragons fighting for Bern?

What?! Bern is allied with dragons?

Yes, we have seen them.

I do not know... Dragons are not supposed to exist in this world, except for in this village.

What is it, Igrene?

Sophia said that she could detect an evil force emanating from Bern's troops. It may be related to the dragons Roy says he has seen with Bern.

Perhaps... I am too old to detect such forces now myself.

Sophia can detect an evil force? What does that mean?

Sophia is half dragon and half human.

"And all useless."

That gives her the ability to detect the auras emitted by other dragons. She says, however, that she detects an unnaturally twisted force from Bern.

I think that it should be investigated further. Elder, if you will allow it, I would like to join Roy so that I might learn more.

I would prefer not to involve ourselves in outside matters... But this is certainly a special case. Will you take her, Roy?

Certainly.

I am Igrene, Guardian of Nabata. I am confident in my skills with the bow. I believe I can aid you in battle.

I'm... not quite so sure, but whatever, at least I can use you as a pack mule once Merlinus' storage fills up entirely with killer bows!

I appreciate it.

Don't be ridiculous. You may not. There is no telling what may happen if the world learns of your existence!

Yes, let's.

Oh yeah, and:

I predict the dark magic spell will be Againstblaze and the light magic one will be Kindaneutralonblaze.

That was a lovely rear end level but on the plus side I think I may have absorbed Sophia's power to read the future. Next up, Fae joins the party! ...I'm pretty sure, at least.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Munin posted:

Unless this game is very socially progressive as well as endorsing revolution by the proletariat...

Maybe.

(But probably not :eng99:)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hey Vilk, first of all, I saw that changing terrain in Quarths promotion.

Secondly, You should have Igrene and Astol get supports together, nothing could go wrong from this idea.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Astol is a terrible name, though not as bad as the living tipped fedora

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

Hey Vilk, first of all, I saw that changing terrain in Quarths promotion.

I see, so you could say the earth moved for you, huh :smuggo:

quote:

Secondly, You should have Igrene and Astol get supports together, nothing could go wrong from this idea.

I might if I knew what the hell an "Astol", is I even went and asked around the Good Units club and no one knew anything about it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

vilkacis posted:

I see, so you could say the earth moved for you, huh :smuggo:

I might if I knew what the hell an "Astol", is I even went and asked around the Good Units club and no one knew anything about it.

No I could say it was done on two different turns or playthroughs.

The purple haired thief. I'll only take 2 chapters. Do it.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
That beard is starting to look mighty fine.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

vilkacis posted:

There's so much... water.

The desert is an ocean with its life underground... Wait, I don't think that's how it went.
Oh goddamnit now's it's stick in my head :argh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

The purple haired thief. I'll only take 2 chapters. Do it.

The purple haired thief has gained three levels. He gained three hit points and one point of skill. Two chapters is too good for him :frogout:

Insurrectionist posted:

That beard is starting to look mighty fine.

And it still isn't his final form!

theshim posted:

Good. Good... :unsmigghh:

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
I look forward to the final chapter being manned by every archer we've gotten in this game and no one else.

Well, Roy too.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

yokaiy posted:

I look forward to the final chapter being manned by every archer we've gotten in this game and no one else.

Well, Roy too.

Roy and Shanna. And he'll still get angry about her getting bad levels.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i think my favorite sprite edit is the scar on cecilia if only because it's so subtle compared to every other one

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

yokaiy posted:

Well, Roy too.

I could make Roy promote to sniper :downs:

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Roy and Shanna. And he'll still get angry about her getting bad levels.

I might promote her just to see how bad she really intends to get :negative:

alcharagia posted:

i think my favorite sprite edit is the scar on cecilia if only because it's so subtle compared to every other one

I figured she needed something after that near-death experience. (Also another reason why I had to up her stats, you don't get to be a weakling when you have a cool X-shaped scar.)

Actually was considering making a bandaged-up portrait for the part with Sophia, but I was too lazy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

vilkacis posted:

Stop! Promo time!

:c00l:

YES. :swoon:

theshim posted:

Here, see if this helps.

• Locked thread