Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Edit double post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

edit: triple post

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Was there server issues? I was excited to use it driving around today and couldn't get anything to stream until I was almost home....Spotify worked the whole time..

Also, iTunes isn't syncing my artists on my desktop app? But will on my iPhone?

Aka, I go to Austra on my iPhone. After I hit FOLLOW and back out of Austra and go back in, I'm greeted with My Music and "All" music so I can access all of their music on iTunes.

On the desktop app, there is no Follow option, and thus I can't access any Austra beyond what's already on my hard drive. There is no "All" section.

What gives?

Sorry, question overload.

89 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 2, 2015

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
fwiw I had a hard time streaming on the road today too. Whereas yesterday I had no interruptions. So maybe there was some server-wide issues particular to this evening.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Gunder posted:

Am I right in thinking that there is no way to control what music get synced across to your mobile device from the desktop version of iTunes When using the new iCloud Music Library? In the past I used to achieve this by having a playlist named iPhone which I would add and subtract music to and from accordingly. After signing up to Apple music however, and enabling iCloud music library on both my mobile devices and my desktop version of iTunes, I've found that this method no longer works. Instead it seems that you have to add music to your mobile devices from the mobile device itself song by song, album by album. This method is very slow and I would prefer to be able to use the old playlist method. Has anyone found a way to do this?
To load your phone with just one playlist, on your phone, go to where the playlists are displayed (my music and tap Playlists on the top). Find the playlist you want, tap the ... on the right and choose "Make Available Offline". Is that what you're looking for?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I'm confused. I thought icloud music library was the new name of itunes match, but now it's apparently tied to apple music? I never signed up for apple music or accepted the free trial, but I have been a Match subscriber and my itunes and iphone are both calling it icloud music library.

God drat apple, could you have made the mud a little less clear?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

xarph posted:

I'm confused. I thought icloud music library was the new name of iTunes match, but now it's apparently tied to apple music? I never signed up for apple music or accepted the free trial, but I have been a Match subscriber and my itunes and iphone are both calling it icloud music library.

God drat apple, could you have made the mud a little less clear?
What? How is that confusing?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Kenderama posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the curated lists and it's sorta frightening how well the Apple Music - Metal guys know me :)

I see ways to love songs (which I assume) tells Apple you want more like this, but no way to say "Don't ever play this crap again, I despise it!" like there was on Apple Radio. Anyone know, or is this one of those "suggest to Apple" moments?
You can tell radio to not play specific songs ever again, but I don't think that'll factor into their curation though.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Overall I like Apple Music and the new iTunes. However, I used to have this system: If I loved a track, I'd rate it 5 stars. Once I got tired of hearing it regularly, I'd bump it down to 4 stars. I had 4- and 5-star smart playlists. It worked great because I could easily "edit" my playlists on the iPhone by using the star ratings. With 12.2, I find that iTunes on the Mac seems to think that 5 stars means the track that I rated plus the rest of the album. On iPhone, it works as expected. Goddammit.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I hope they didn't break that. I've got a lot of poo poo built around the ratings.

Is it possible you're looking at the album rating instead? There's a calculated one if you don't set it explicitly.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorgar posted:

I hope they didn't break that. I've got a lot of poo poo built around the ratings.

Is it possible you're looking at the album rating instead? There's a calculated one if you don't set it explicitly.

Well at the risk of outing myself as a Taylor Swift fan, I sure hope I'm doing something wrong. Tonight I was listening to "Style" on my Mac. It's catchy, so I rated it 5 stars. When I went to my 5 star playlist, I see it added all the other songs from that album too (except for previously rated tracks that I've bumped down to 4 stars). Right clicking and selecting "None" doesn't do anything. Nor does dragging the rating slider to none. On the phone, it works fine. On my work Mac, it's even worse -- all my previously rated one-off tracks brought in the whole album. At least on this one it's just happening for new stuff. Again, goddammit.

And the smart playlist criteria:

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 2, 2015

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Kobayashi posted:

Well at the risk of outing myself as a Taylor Swift fan, I sure hope I'm doing something wrong. Tonight I was listening to "Style" on my Mac. It's catchy, so I rated it 5 stars. When I went to my 5 star playlist, I see it added all the other songs from that album too (except for previously rated tracks that I've bumped down to 4 stars). Right clicking and selecting "None" doesn't do anything. Nor does dragging the rating slider to none. On the phone, it works fine. On my work Mac, it's even worse -- all my previously rated one-off tracks brought in the whole album. At least on this one it's just happening for new stuff. Again, goddammit.

And the smart playlist criteria:

Those outline stars are for the album rating, not the song rating.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Long story short:

How do I reset the iTunes Cloud Library so it starts from scratch with my physical library?

I went through and deleted 3/4th of my iTunes library to start from just my favorite songs and add to them with the cloud music. But, I turned off iTunes Cloud Library before I did it. So, now when I turn it back on, it puts ALLL of those songs back in my library I spent literally all of today deleting (I deleted them out of the iTunes library, didn't send to recycle bin incase I deleted some stuff I didn't want to....just don't want them to show up in iTunes)

UPDATE: This is what I'm attempting.

- Turning iCloud Off (This displays my iTunes library as I currently want it now)
- Selecting entire correct collection
- Giving all of them the same comment (I'm using "A New Collection)
- Gonna turn iCloud on so everything displays
- Delete everything that DOESN'T have 'A New Collection" attached to it.

We'll see how that goes in a bit..

89 fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 2, 2015

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

89 posted:

Long story short:

How do I reset the iTunes Cloud Library so it starts from scratch with my physical library?

I went through and deleted 3/4th of my iTunes library to start from just my favorite songs and add to them with the cloud music. But, I turned off iTunes Cloud Library before I did it. So, now when I turn it back on, it puts ALLL of those songs back in my library I spent literally all of today deleting (I deleted them out of the iTunes library, didn't send to recycle bin incase I deleted some stuff I didn't want to....just don't want them to show up in iTunes)

UPDATE: This is what I'm attempting.

- Turning iCloud Off (This displays my iTunes library as I currently want it now)
- Selecting entire correct collection
- Giving all of them the same comment (I'm using "A New Collection)
- Gonna turn iCloud on so everything displays
- Delete everything that DOESN'T have 'A New Collection" attached to it.

We'll see how that goes in a bit..

I'm so confused at why this is a problem? Leave iCloud on, delete everything, and you're done.

Why are you disabling iCloud then deleting the files?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

To load your phone with just one playlist, on your phone, go to where the playlists are displayed (my music and tap Playlists on the top). Find the playlist you want, tap the ... on the right and choose "Make Available Offline". Is that what you're looking for?

I can't get the playlist in question to show up on the phone. I also want to be able to sync my stuff to the phone via itunes, as I was doing before the iCloud Music Library got involved., I don't want to have to go into the app.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You can tell radio to not play specific songs ever again, but I don't think that'll factor into their curation though.

Yeah sadly that only works for your own Stations, not the Apple curated ones. I was hoping there was a way to make those matches improve over time. I guess the only way you can do it is by loving things.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Why is iTunes so stubborn with album art? It decided to switch the art for about 60 albums to either Greatest Hits versions or something completely unrelated and of course they show up on my iPhone too thanks to Match whatever they call it now and I can't change them to what they're supposed to be. I've tried deleting and re-fetching the art (which sometimes sorts it but won't sync it) to manually dragging and dropping the images into the file info, but nope.

I miss the manual iTunes Match syncing, as poo poo as it could be. This is automated for your inconvenience now.

E: iTunes won't quit, either. Does it just prohibit that while it's syncing? I don't know if it is syncing because there's no way of seeing that anywhere. What is this thing, loving sentient now?

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 2, 2015

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

89 posted:

So, with this whole new Apple Music thing, why would a subscriber ever purchase a song from iTunes now?
I've thought about this a bit more, and here's my reason. Beyond my distrust that Apple won't remove songs from my phone's local storage before I go on a trip, I don't want my music to be contingent on a monthly fee for perpetuity. I don't like the idea of being tied into a subscription (or the Apple ecosystem, which I might want to jump ship on someday) for all my music, and even in the shorter term it only makes financial sense if on average I buy more music per month than the subscription fee. Maybe these are crotchety old-man reasons but I think in the end I won't be paying for Apple Music because of them.

That said, I do have a Spotify sub because I get huge value out of being able to generate a radio station from any artist or track, and I find a lot of new music that way. As far as I can tell Apple Music doesn't have that feature (yet?)

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

TACD posted:

I've thought about this a bit more, and here's my reason. Beyond my distrust that Apple won't remove songs from my phone's local storage before I go on a trip, I don't want my music to be contingent on a monthly fee for perpetuity. I don't like the idea of being tied into a subscription (or the Apple ecosystem, which I might want to jump ship on someday) for all my music, and even in the shorter term it only makes financial sense if on average I buy more music per month than the subscription fee. Maybe these are crotchety old-man reasons but I think in the end I won't be paying for Apple Music because of them.

That said, I do have a Spotify sub because I get huge value out of being able to generate a radio station from any artist or track, and I find a lot of new music that way. As far as I can tell Apple Music doesn't have that feature (yet?)

:confused:

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TACD posted:

Also, saved Apple Music doesn't play natively on an Apple TV (at least, not yet). And while I haven't tested myself yet, I don't think it can be synced to an iPod classic. This won't matter to everybody, but for me it adds some value to CDs and discrete digital purchases still!

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

benisntfunny posted:

I'm so confused at why this is a problem? Leave iCloud on, delete everything, and you're done.

Why are you disabling iCloud then deleting the files?

My method ended up working. This is a problem because I cleaned up my library of 18,000 songs down to 7,000 songs and when I would turn iCloud back on, all 18,000 would show. I only wanted those 7,000 now. I turned off iCloud to do it so iTunes wouldn't be so sluggish while I was baptizing my music library. Got it going now. I shouldn't have turned it off.

89 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 2, 2015

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sad Panda posted:

Those outline stars are for the album rating, not the song rating.

I get that, but 1) rating individual tracks didn't set the album rating before, 2) I can't figure out how to clear the album rating, and 3) I can't figure out how to edit the smart playlist to work around the new behavior.

E: OK now I can re-clear the album rating from the album view. It's still annoying/different that now I have to add an "un-rate the album" step to my track rating workflow.

Kobayashi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 2, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Once you do it once, it shouldn't happen again. For me, it was one-time quirk when I hit the switch on the Cloud Library.

Now that it's working for me, it's all pretty sweet. Cloud songs filter into my existing smart playlists correctly, the system recognizes "date added," and the playlists even do a good job of live-updating on the go.

I know I'm going to lose my mind trying to keep track of whether I've marked a playlist for offline use or any of the individual songs in that playlist, but that's just my rear end burgers. The clean/explicit situation with Matched songs is still nonsense, but at least it's the right song (which, for me, wasn't guaranteed on Spotify). It's extremely annoying that I can't sync to my desktop (especially with the clean/explicit issue), but hopefully that can be resolved now that there's urgency with Apple Music that didn't exist with Match alone.

I probably will keep buying songs, but if this keeps working/improves, it will definitely set a higher burden for justifying the purchase.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Kobayashi posted:

I get that, but 1) rating individual tracks didn't set the album rating before, 2) I can't figure out how to clear the album rating, and 3) I can't figure out how to edit the smart playlist to work around the new behavior.

E: OK now I can re-clear the album rating from the album view. It's still annoying/different that now I have to add an "un-rate the album" step to my track rating workflow.

You can't make smart playlists work around it because for some reason they see rating and don't distinguish between song rating and album rating. It's an annoying thing that sometimes happens, but then stops doing it. Not the ideal response I know.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Stare-Out posted:

Why is iTunes so stubborn with album art? It decided to switch the art for about 60 albums to either Greatest Hits versions or something completely unrelated and of course they show up on my iPhone too thanks to Match whatever they call it now and I can't change them to what they're supposed to be.

Has it ever been possible to get artwork changes to propagate to the device on matched tracks? I always assumed (no way I'm experimenting with it, given the problems people have reported) that once a track is "matched", 1) the version in iCloud becomes the master copy and 2) iTunes on your desktop doesn't talk to your device about that track anymore, iTunes and the device both only talk to the cloud. With that design certain metadata would get synced through the cloud, like play counts and ratings, but not artwork—artwork on matched tracks would always come from the master copy of the track in Apple's system.

If that's the case then nothing you do to the artwork in iTunes will (or even can, without Apple specifically designing in a way to do it) be propagated through iCloud to your device. You'd need to get the match to be against a cloud version of the track that already has the correct artwork, assuming one exists.

Just to be clear, this is all speculation on my part...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I had a few album artworks change, and just went into them on my desktop, deleted the current art, and put the correct one back in, and they're showing up with the correct art on all my devices now.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
Is that on matched tracks? If so I stand corrected.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Is that on matched tracks? If so I stand corrected.

Two of them were Alice in Chains albums (specifically Unplugged and Sap) and they're both up for streaming and available in the iTunes store, so I would assume they're matched and not uploaded, yeah.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh, neat! I'm in the UK so this is the first chance I've had to play around with the whole radio thing.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Ever since I deleted 3/4th of my Cloud library, my desktop app won't connect to my iCloud library. Been 6 hours.

"Unable to access your iCloud Music Library. Please click to retry."

*clicks*

"Unable to access your iCloud Music Library. Please click to retry."

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

I had a few album artworks change, and just went into them on my desktop, deleted the current art, and put the correct one back in, and they're showing up with the correct art on all my devices now.
The way album art worked in the previous iTunes with Match was like that, yeah. You could change it to what you wanted, basically, or have iTunes find it for you if the album was available on the iTunes store. It never showed up on my iPhone automatically after that, but once I manually updated iTunes Match, it worked fine. Not anymore though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

The way album art worked in the previous iTunes with Match was like that, yeah. You could change it to what you wanted, basically, or have iTunes find it for you if the album was available on the iTunes store. It never showed up on my iPhone automatically after that, but once I manually updated iTunes Match, it worked fine. Not anymore though.

I did this earlier today, after signing up for Apple Music switched all the covers. I don't know if I'm somehow just special or if you're just getting a bug, but I can only report on how it worked for me.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I never signed up for Apple Music, it happened the moment I started iTunes after the update. For now I guess I'll just chalk it up to the servers being screwed and see if it'll auto-sync better after a couple of days.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I never signed up for Apple Music, it happened the moment I started iTunes after the update. For now I guess I'll just chalk it up to the servers being screwed and see if it'll auto-sync better after a couple of days.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was server nonsense. I'm getting a bunch of stuff like songs that are streamable from one album not being streamable on another, songs that were streamable an hour ago not being streamable now, etc. I'm hoping all this stuff sorts itself out in a few days.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, the only indicator that there's any iCloud stuff going on is the little animated cloud icon next to the view selection and I had iTunes on for about four hours earlier and it never finished syncing up. Another weird thing that happened is actually with that U2 album iTunes users got for free, for some reason the songs are out of order now. They're all numbered correctly and the metadata seems fine but they show up completely out of order for some reason.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Huh, don't know if iTunes was supposed to do this, but it just REPAIRED a ton of album art it hosed up in a previous sync while doing a new sync. Unexpected, but thanks Apple? :confused:

EDIT: Orrr not...the sync said it was syncing album art, but I still have album art missing here and there. :what:

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I've had it put missing album art on the phone unasked for. I deleted all of mine, but it seems to like to go fetch it again.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Christ this Apple Music integration into iTunes is such a shitshow.

I am sticking with Apple Music because I want it to succeed and I prefer the ability to download the songs into my native iPhone library rather than having to use Google Play's app, but I can't imagine anyone firing up iTunes and thinking this is good "integration". At least that's my initial impression based on how I just added it to my MBP.

Fired up iTunes, no real notice about Apple Music. Finally clicked around the interface a little until it took me to something related to Music at which point it asked me to sign up despite being logged in and already into my 3 month trial. When I clicked "already a member" iTunes seemed to do nothing for a while, then it seemed to magically disable Apple Music. After a few more minutes of looking at the interface I went into Preferences and saw that "Show Apple Music" was unchecked, at which point it seemed to start working. Still doesn't seem to consistently search across Apple Music when I type into the search bar.

Integration with my iPhone has been so much smoother, to the point where I will actually take out my Phone to add music to my library rather than use iTunes now.

Can't wait for this to get Sonos support so I never have to launch iTunes again.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Meh, they need to fix this home sharing pc to apple tv bug - it's completely hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

I'll give 'em this much—8.4 seems to be way better at recovering from catastrophic music database issues than the previous versions were. I did god-knows-what yesterday that blew away the on-device artwork for everything but the handful of albums I bought through iTunes. That kind of thing used to require me to go in and delete the on-device iTunes DB and reload everything from scratch. This time I just power-cycled the phone and synced and after half an hour or so of grinding as (presumably) the databases on the the phone and in iTunes compared notes, everything was back to normal.