Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone having Bluetooth issues with their 2013 Moto X since the update? A couple times, but not every time, its connected and playing, but no audio is coming through. I toggle Bluetooth off and on and it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Apologies if this isn't the best thread to ask in... What are people using for game controllers on their Android devices? I have a Nexus 6 and a Galaxy Tab S 10.5 and would like to sink my teeth into some emulators and Square RPGs, but I'd really prefer to use a controller over touch.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

uPen posted:

Anyone got a suggestion for what part of Play services/Android is taking so much power? I'm pretty consistently out of battery around 1-2 PM if I don't charge during the day on a Nexus 5, 5.1.1.

I too would really, REALLY like to know the answer to this. My last phone would drain in hours thanks to Play services, and it keeps popping up on my S6 Active. How do I disable whatever the gently caress it's doing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

revmoo posted:

I too would really, REALLY like to know the answer to this. My last phone would drain in hours thanks to Play services, and it keeps popping up on my S6 Active. How do I disable whatever the gently caress it's doing?

The short answer is that there's no way to know without root, sorry.

The long answer is that Play Services and Android OS show up in battery stats because something is keeping them awake. Some app makes a call that's answered by Play Services or the OS but the app hangs. Because it's the call to the service responding that's what shows up in the stats. Android does not offer a way to see the exact call being made and even with root and the ability to see the specific wakelock, there is no way to see why that wakelock is generated. That's why it can't tell you what app set the wakelock but can only tell you upon what is being called.

As for resolutions, the first step is to just reboot. Eventually whatever app that is failing will do it again but obviously a reboot will clear out whatever's causing it right now. With root your options improve. You can then use something like Wakelock Detector to show you exactly what calls are being made and their duration. When possible it will also associate them with the app that caused them and even if it doesn't you can Google the name of the wakelock and triangulate the cause.

Without root though you're going to need to use trial and error and guesswork to track down the rouge application or system setting that isn't getting what it needs. The best place to start is to eliminate any task killers or automation software and work from there.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

The short answer is that there's no way to know without root, sorry.

That's hosed.

Rooting is no problem. Unlocked my S6A yesterday and root is on the agenda for today. I'm locking this phone the gently caress down when it comes to poo poo playing around in the background. Learned that lesson from my last phone. Too much Chinese spyware garbage and poo poo phoning home to Google for no reason draining my battery.

It's really too bad, I think this is an issue Google needs to address. I'm terrified to download anything from the Play store or even buy apps because I don't trust all the poo poo they're doing in the background. It's becoming a bit of a PR problem for Android tbh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

revmoo posted:

That's hosed.

Rooting is no problem. Unlocked my S6A yesterday and root is on the agenda for today. I'm locking this phone the gently caress down when it comes to poo poo playing around in the background. Learned that lesson from my last phone. Too much Chinese spyware garbage and poo poo phoning home to Google for no reason draining my battery.

It's really too bad, I think this is an issue Google needs to address. I'm terrified to download anything from the Play store or even buy apps because I don't trust all the poo poo they're doing in the background. It's becoming a bit of a PR problem for Android tbh.

Have you considered not downloading garbage apps instead?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The general public have no idea what you are talking about so it's not really a pr problem

Also be careful what you are locking down in relation to network/location access. You could end up making it worse for the battery

Its not really googles fault, its the lovely apps fault

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

revmoo posted:

That's hosed.

They are addressing it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rusty! posted:

Google haven't removed it, but that doesn't mean whoever made your phone didn't.

Google kept it on Nexus devices that didn't start on Lollipop. But it is not on the N9 nor the N6.

So, it's the reverse. Your 'manufacturer' decided to retain a legacy widget after upgrade, but the power control widget is not considered "stock" android anymore.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

revmoo posted:

That's hosed.

:tinfoil:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered not downloading garbage apps instead?

Garbage apps like Google Play Music that starts up and runs in the background even though I've never played a single song on my phone, ever? Oh and it can't be uninstalled (this is on my old phone)

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

kri kri posted:

They are addressing it.

Can you link me to the article that states this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

But is it actually doing anything?

I'm sure Google music is running away on mine at the moment despite me not having used it in a while

Is it anywhere on the battery stats? Nope, so who cares?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Skarsnik posted:

I'm sure Google music is running away on mine at the moment despite me not having used it in a while

No clue! But when you go to battery stats and Android OS has used up 40% of your battery over the last six hours you don't really give a poo poo which specific piece of bloatware is responsible.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

No clue! But when you go to battery stats and Android OS has used up 40% of your battery over the last six hours you don't really give a poo poo which specific piece of bloatware is responsible.

Exactly. I also don't believe it should be a requirement to micromanage your phone just to get it to last until you get home from work every day.

Android is great and all, but this is becoming problematic.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Have you considered not trying to micromanage your phone?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

Garbage apps like Google Play Music that starts up and runs in the background even though I've never played a single song on my phone, ever? Oh and it can't be uninstalled (this is on my old phone)

:tinfoil:

Skarsnik posted:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Skarsnik posted:

So just throw it on the charger every six hours then?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Both you and i was reloading are missing the point. If you stop services that are supposed to be running they'll just restart and restart and restart, draining the battery far more than if you let them work as intended. It's the micromanagement that causes it, not the other way around. Killing background sync causes the exact issue I described above. You break the sync that gives Play Services/Android OS the data it needs, an app queries for that data, and for some reason (because you disabled it) it can't provide it. So the app says "What about now?" "What about now?" "What about now?" until it gets the answer.

The fact is you're using a lovely app that is causing this issue and breaking the OS isn't the answer, the answer is to stop using lovely apps. Play Music "running" isn't doing anything to cause your problem (and it could definitely be disabled so you're wrong there too), what's causing the problem is a runaway process. Samsungs used to have a problem with some radio doing this but I think that was the S5. The point is that it could be anything, maybe even something you have no control over.

i was reloading posted:

Can you link me to the article that states this?

It's the first hour of the I/O keynote. They discuss an overview of how it's done and I'm sure there was probably a breakout session on it too though I'm not a developer so I don't watch those.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Skarsnik posted:

You can see what's running under Settings > Apps. I use googmusic all the time and it ain't running right now - it's not even cached

Point is it's pointless to talk about what play services does or what any (non-poo poo) app does, because it's completely subjective. It varies all the time, it can even be fine sometimes and then bad on the same device. Nobody knows why

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

revmoo posted:

So just throw it on the charger every six hours then?

So what is your average SOT btw

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Google will never stop being Google. :allears: They'll probably never tell people of the limit.

Granted, there's nothing wrong with having this limit just...telling people would be cool.

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, there's quite a bit wrong with having a limit on a service you call unlimited.

Hey guys,

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

They discuss an overview of how it's done and I'm sure there was probably a breakout session on it too though I'm not a developer so I don't watch those.
Hooray, it's me, I am a developer and I watch these, go me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBdf1_oOGA
(Skip to ~10:55)

The new permissions model also plays into this, because it helps to make it clearer to the user what apps are doing and when:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f17qe9vZ8RM

And look how happy Ben Poiesz is to be in this thread. Just look at his happy little face!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 2, 2015

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

i was reloading posted:

Apple has iMessage, Google has Hangouts. They are alternatives of each other.

They're not directly analogous, though. The biggest difference between Hangouts and iMessage is that Hangouts is trying to replace one app with another, and allows you to switch between a Hangouts conversation and a text conversation at will, whereas iMessage straight up replaces text messaging (when applicable). There's no conscious choice there at all; it's enabled by default on a new iPhone, and you can't choose to send a text message by default when iMessage is enabled. Hangouts is basically WhatsApp with the ability to send text messages.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

sleepwalkers posted:

They're not directly analogous, though. The biggest difference between Hangouts and iMessage is that Hangouts is trying to replace one app with another, and allows you to switch between a Hangouts conversation and a text conversation at will, whereas iMessage straight up replaces text messaging (when applicable). There's no conscious choice there at all; it's enabled by default on a new iPhone, and you can't choose to send a text message by default when iMessage is enabled. Hangouts is basically WhatsApp with the ability to send text messages.

Yeah, I think I've said this before but Google really should have taken hangouts in a different approach. Tie people's phone numbers to their gmail accounts, make a back-end API and force OEM's to tie their stock messaging apps into it somehow. Boom, iMessage like functionality across nearly all Android devices.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

sleepwalkers posted:

:psyduck: Hangouts is basically gChat with the ability to send text messages (and video and VOIP). That is like, the entire point of hangouts. Turning an IM app into a "communications suite" or whatever better buzzword there probably is for it.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I think I've said this before but Google really should have taken hangouts in a different approach. Tie people's phone numbers to their gmail accounts, make a back-end API and force OEM's to tie their stock messaging apps into it somehow. Boom, iMessage like functionality across nearly all Android devices.

I feel like there is assumed knowledge about this needed to understand this statement that I don't have. Is there some way in which hangouts doesn't work across nearly all Android devices/has functionality missing? There was a period of time when stuff got crazy while they were tweaking the SMS/Hangouts functionality, but at this point things have been working smoothly for me pretty consistently. (I also like being able to switch bewtween hangouts/SMS on the fly, but your response and the post you replied to do not have an immediate connection to me, which is why I wondered if there's something that breaks that I'm unaware of)

surc fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 2, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

surc posted:

I feel like there is assumed knowledge about this needed to understand this statement that I don't have. Is there some way in which hangouts doesn't work across nearly all Android devices/has functionality missing? There was a period of time when stuff got crazy while they were tweaking the SMS/Hangouts functionality, but at this point things have been working smoothly for me pretty consistently. (I also like being able to switch bewtween hangouts/SMS on the fly, but your response and the post you replied to do not have an immediate connection to me, which is why I wondered if there's something that breaks that I'm unaware of)

Well, it's more of a "nobody uses hangouts messaging unless your force them to" whereas iMessage, as stated before in this thread, is a no-brainer where end-users don't even have to think about it, it's just there by default. Forcing OEM's to build it into their stock messaging apps somehow would have made it much closer to iMessage, because really most people just use whatever the stock messaging app that comes with their phone is.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone having Bluetooth issues with their 2013 Moto X since the update? A couple times, but not every time, its connected and playing, but no audio is coming through. I toggle Bluetooth off and on and it works.

Had the same issue but after ~10 reboots it doesn't come up anymore. However, I do have the problem that using BT with my car and playing music on spotify blasts out extremely loud static for half the songs, so that's fun.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FogHelmut posted:

I have this happen like maybe 10% of the time with my 2013 Moto X...but it's always been that way with this phone and my car stereo. I'm hoping that when my AT&T Moto X gets M it fixes this.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
N6, but I have Bluetooth issues quite often.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

surc posted:

:psyduck: Hangouts is basically gChat with the ability to send text messages (and video and VOIP). That is like, the entire point of hangouts. Turning an IM app into a "communications suite" or whatever better buzzword there probably is for it.

I still feel that, with hindsight, this was a mistake; I've certainly never used my phone's text messaging service in the same way I did Windows Messenger (when that was a thing), even though words still went from my screen to someone else's.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
Hangouts did this really annoying thing in the 5.1.1 update. It used to be chats I had with friends through gchat and SMS showed up in the same screen and it was pretty seamless and easy to follow, everything in one place. All of a sudden in a day it changed so now you have to switch between SMS and gchat. They added a menu dropdown, which wasn't obvious at all, that has you select whether you're in SMS or gchat which is just an extra step you now have to do. There was no indication that it had changed and I had to dick around looking for my chats with my friends overseas and until I figured it out the only way I knew how to switch back and forth was to wait for an SMS or gchat to come in and get there via the notifications. It was like it went backwards from easy and convenient to making you do an extra step to see messages that came in through a different service and I can't figure out what problem they were solving by doing it that way,

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kliksf posted:

Hangouts did this really annoying thing in the 5.1.1 update. It used to be chats I had with friends through gchat and SMS showed up in the same screen and it was pretty seamless and easy to follow, everything in one place. All of a sudden in a day it changed so now you have to switch between SMS and gchat. They added a menu dropdown, which wasn't obvious at all, that has you select whether you're in SMS or gchat which is just an extra step you now have to do. There was no indication that it had changed and I had to dick around looking for my chats with my friends overseas and until I figured it out the only way I knew how to switch back and forth was to wait for an SMS or gchat to come in and get there via the notifications. It was like it went backwards from easy and convenient to making you do an extra step to see messages that came in through a different service and I can't figure out what problem they were solving by doing it that way,

Well that's loving retarded.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

kliksf posted:

Mine did this for about a week and all my hangouts/sms threads re-merged with one another this morning. I have no idea.

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
You see the little circle in the top right that says SMS that's what you have to tap to get to SMS, in this screenshot I'm currently in my gchat half of Hangouts.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

bull3964 posted:

Google kept it on Nexus devices that didn't start on Lollipop. But it is not on the N9 nor the N6.

So, it's the reverse. Your 'manufacturer' decided to retain a legacy widget after upgrade, but the power control widget is not considered "stock" android anymore.
That I did not know, but I'm not surprised. It's pretty redundant now those things live on the notification shade.

kliksf posted:

I've read there is a bug that is buggering up merged conversations for some people, maybe that's what you're experiencing?

kliksf
Jan 1, 2003
I thought it was a bug at first but there's a way to switch between them that I'd never noticed before, like maybe you were always able to segregate your sms and gchat but this works a lot more like a feature than a bug, and it came in right on the heels of the 5.1.1 update so I just assumed it was how they designed it. In the screencap above, prior to this update I'd never noticed the separate SMS icon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Is this what you guys are talking about?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone else on a Galaxy S5 having problems with photo orientation on Hangouts? My boyfriend's pictures keep coming in sideways and poo poo and it's frustrating. He says it's only in Hangouts and only if it's a picture taken through Hangouts. If he uses a picture that was already taken, it works fine.

A quick Google says that Google has known of this issue for months but hasn't fixed it yet...anyone come across a fix?

It doesn't even seem to be JUST Samsung devices but LG as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I really just want hangouts to in-line imgur links, is that too much to ask?

In-lining the headline / first sentence of links would be nice, too.

they're already doing a bullshit link-bounce on all links which makes it slow on mobile, might as well give me something for it