Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I agree with this. I casually solo-pubbed my way to the North Carolina in the last bit of closed beta and while I was just starting to get decent at hitting targets right *at* the 20km range, 24km+ always felt like a hail mary, and most of the time the people who play BBs play them like the worst tanks players - expecting the rest of the team to win *for* them, and if they get one good hit in the entire match, then they've "done their job, it must be the rest of you that lost."

gently caress, driving a Myogi in the fight all match, a single good hit is actually doing about as much as can be reasonably expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

cheese posted:

Honestly, BB's just arnt in a good place right now. You can only REALLY influence the game by closing to the 10-15km range where you can actually reliably land broadsides and get citadels, which puts you into cruiser HE fire hell range. I enjoy the idea of sitting at 20km and exchanging volleys with other BB's, but even playing decently like that, you often don't really influence the game much. I find myself saying "gently caress it" and charging in with my Kongo/Fuso anytime our team has an edge in the zone of the map I'm in. My Kongo, a New York and a Kumo vs a New York and an Arkansas? I'm angling my hull and going at them.

That's pretty much intended, though. Yes, you've got long gun range. You also got a huge hitpoint pool, a ton of armor and a unique regeneraton ability. Getting stuck in is perfectly fine for BBs as long as you keep your situational awareness up and pay attenttion to potential torpedo threats. HE-induced fires are an annoyance, but good management of your damage control and recovery abilities can minimise its actual effect on you pretty well. Much like with your maneuvering, turret turns etc., the key skill for this is thinking ahead and estimating how the next minute or so is going to play out. That's IMO a more important skill than twitch reflexes when you're playing a battleship.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That is a lot more accurate for battleships that don't have a problem actually doing one tenth the damage over time as a cruiser.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I agree with this. I casually solo-pubbed my way to the North Carolina in the last bit of closed beta and while I was just starting to get decent at hitting targets right *at* the 20km range, 24km+ always felt like a hail mary, and most of the time the people who play BBs play them like the worst tanks players - expecting the rest of the team to win *for* them, and if they get one good hit in the entire match, then they've "done their job, it must be the rest of you that lost."
Even at 20km, you can do a reasonable job of leading, and still get 1 hit for 1300. Then you get to spend 30 seconds contemplating your navel. Meanwhile, the cruisers on the other side of the map all closed to 8km and are landing 4k damage HE volleys every 12 seconds on each other. The game is being decided there and thats why, more and more, I throw my BB into that closer ranged cluster gently caress where I can land reliable citadels and soak HE damage with my massive hitpoints.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
BBs own and people who can't hit shots with BBs should play CAs. Its not for everyone, I sure had a lot of trouble with BBs early on but got better as my overall aim and leading improved. US BBs are still really... uhh.. bad, but the IJN ones can do some work.

Anyways, some more good games as the scum of the earth (apparently), DDs. One for each T4.

Almost 5, actually, but the Omaha survived my torps with 100 hp left, and instantly popped his damage control to avoid a flooding death. Torping around the very edge of a corner to catch enemies blind is extremely strong, I caught an otherwise attentive Grem with a full salvo. There's a lot of subtlety to DDs that I absolutely love.

Bumping up the torp range to 5.5 km makes all the difference. Its still not a lot, but there's a lot more you can do, and a lot more wiggle room when making a run on a BB that's trying to stay hard to hit. The Clemson has great guns, though (4 double turrets when upgraded), making picking off enemy DDs and crippled CA's easy. You can then pepper lone BBs and distract them from shooting your allies and missing you, and if the BB ignores you, its torping time!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Chaotic Meh posted:

My current and permanent love is Warspite though... It's got so many flaws but none of them matter. I had a truly wonderful match earlier with a friend in which we raised the ghosts of the Grand Fleet and drove a pair of them into the enemy, flying both 'I have not received any damage' and 'It is dangerous to approach close to this vessel' flags. By the time we arrived at point C, there were numerous bits of chaff fighting. When I left we were down a Warspite but had pretty much stopped the enemy there. Our secondaries accounted for two Clevelands, and Atlanta and a couple of destroyers with minor backup from the main battery when it deigned to be pointing the right way.

The above about battleships being kinda... odd right now plus this is:

The Warspite has 5km secondaries. There is an upgrade that both increases secondary accuracy and range, which makes them shoot out to about 6km. Get it on the Warspite.

You definitely don't want the increased turret turn time/decreased reload time one. The Warspite is a brawler and it can turn really loving fast with the rudder upgrade. It is not the fastest battleship (I think it's in the middle of the pack in speed at 24 kph), but you can use terrain in a lot of places to get in and knife fight.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

My favorite is when you fire a broadside in an American BB and your shots both under and overshoot the target.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Hazdoc posted:

BBs own and people who can't hit shots with BBs should play CAs. Its not for everyone, I sure had a lot of trouble with BBs early on but got better as my overall aim and leading improved. US BBs are still really... uhh.. bad, but the IJN ones can do some work.
BB's can own. I had a 5 kill, 100k damage game in my Kongo last night. It just owns so much less reliably that cruisers.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Artless Meat posted:

My favorite is when you fire a broadside in an American BB and your shots both under and overshoot the target.

Fortunately, once you hit Tier5 you get access to the upgrade that tightens your primary armament's shot spread, reducing the chance that such a thing happens. Its very useful on CAs too, makes those long range shots more reliable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Fortunately, once you hit Tier5 you get access to the upgrade that tightens your primary armament's shot spread, reducing the chance that such a thing happens. Its very useful on CAs too, makes those long range shots more reliable.

Not on Americans. They get a range upgrade to bring them up to not horribly outranged.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
So how long does this pink status last? I may have lost my temper with a particularly dumb teammate and I've been pink for 6 or 8 battles.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Evil Crouton posted:

So how long does this pink status last? I may have lost my temper with a particularly dumb teammate and I've been pink for 6 or 8 battles.

How many friendlies have you sunk? I've only managed one friendly kill and I haven't gone pink.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

xthetenth posted:

Not on Americans. They get a range upgrade to bring them up to not horribly outranged.

Which is primarily why it felt like taking any shot over 20km on the North Carolina felt like flipping a coin.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

Hazdoc posted:

How many friendlies have you sunk? I've only managed one friendly kill and I haven't gone pink.

Just the one. He was an almost full health T4 Wyoming that I sunk with my South Carolina with an (un)lucky citidal blast.

Edit: apparently it's over after a dozen matches and about an hour and a half or so.

Evil Crouton fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 2, 2015

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

The obnoxious thing is that (if I'm remembering right, I'm not looking at it) the American battleships have similar accuracy at their stock range as the Japanese do at theirs. Japan is already more accurate than US even within the US battleships' range, and where the US gets an upgrade that lets them take Hail Mary shots at 18 km Japan gets an upgrade that makes them even more accurate at all ranges.
It's kind of deceptive how the accuracies are listed as maximum dispersion, instead of as an angle like in tanks. The short range US guns are less accurate than the longer range Japanese guns at all ranges, even though the Japanese have higher maximum dispersion.
Not that the game mentions it, but it's evident from the garage stats (installing fire control upgrades increases maximum dispersion).

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Is it just me or do battleships do perfectly fine without any of the 5-point upgrades? Some of them are nice, but I'd rather have the increased secondary range -at least for IJN ones - along with increased fire chance for all guns over anything the 5-pointers offer.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

James Garfield posted:

The obnoxious thing is that (if I'm remembering right, I'm not looking at it) the American battleships have similar accuracy at their stock range as the Japanese do at theirs. Japan is already more accurate than US even within the US battleships' range, and where the US gets an upgrade that lets them take Hail Mary shots at 18 km Japan gets an upgrade that makes them even more accurate at all ranges.
It's kind of deceptive how the accuracies are listed as maximum dispersion, instead of as an angle like in tanks. The short range US guns are less accurate than the longer range Japanese guns at all ranges, even though the Japanese have higher maximum dispersion.
Not that the game mentions it, but it's evident from the garage stats (installing fire control upgrades increases maximum dispersion).

I think it's the ratio of dispersion to max range that determines accuracy.

Either that or my Myogi upgrade came with free glasses for the gunnery crew.

Do you mean that the range increase mod increases the dispersion proportionally as well?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 2, 2015

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I saw someone mention open beta. Has the soft release happened?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

xthetenth posted:

I think it's the ratio of dispersion to max range that determines accuracy.

Either that or my Myogi upgrade came with free glasses for the gunnery crew.

Do you mean that the range increase mod increases the dispersion proportionally as well?

That's what I meant I think.
So if the Kongo has 20 km range, and the New York 15 km range, a Kongo at 15 km would have less dispersion than the listed value, and a New York would have the same dispersion as listed.
With the range upgrade the New York might have 18 km range, but I'm pretty sure its dispersion at 18 km would increase in proportion (so 15 km dispersion would be the same with and without the upgrade).

I don't think anyone has done science on this, but fire control upgrades increase max dispersion and short range ships have really low values.

To put it another way, the max dispersion value is misleading because 200 m dispersion at 20 km is better accuracy than 200 m dispersion at 10 km.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Nothing like turning into a japanese cruiser to close the distance and dodge torpedo's only to have all 6 torps land at point blank, harmlessly splashing against my hull before going in for the win with a ram. :getin:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So uh, I have 7 days of premium, 1000 gold, and 12 port slots now :psyduck:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bolow posted:

So uh, I have 7 days of premium, 1000 gold, and 12 port slots now :psyduck:

Wargaming finally decided to honor the entire humble bundle code.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Just so I'm not wasting a lot of gold respeccing my commanders later, what are the worthwhile skills to spec into for the cruiser and BB lines? Destroyers are basically torps and situational stuff, but do the low-tier gun skills make a difference on anything but the St. Louis? Is 7% Fire Prevention worth two points? I don't even know how many points a commander can possibly obtain, but it's taking forever to get a dude past Lieutenant Commander (5 points).

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Is it just me or do battleships do perfectly fine without any of the 5-point upgrades? Some of them are nice, but I'd rather have the increased secondary range -at least for IJN ones - along with increased fire chance for all guns over anything the 5-pointers offer.

I was thinking the exact same thing for US Battleship.
By the time I get there they will hopefully tweak the last row of skills.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
My best game so far in a carrier, i've really started to like these things. Against an American carrier that knows what they are doing it is an exercise in frustration, but when they don't... its showtime.

A big plus is also the rage you get, people really seem to dislike carriers for some reason :confused: Just wish i had used a XP flag :<

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Because carriers are usually far back enough you'd have to rely on fighters or decent AA to fend any bombers off until you kill rest of the enemy to proceed to where carrier might be. Even then the spot range is rather small so it's not actually easy to find carriers that decide to run around while constantly bombing. That and manual drop is near impossible to dodge unless you turn into torp bombers to get hit before the torps pass arming range (about 500 m). This however doesn't work if the carrier player knows what's going on.

It's more of an issue that there're no direct ways to counter them except form a decent area of AA (not really possible at low tier), hope that carrier player is not good and somehow your team can sink it before it goes into action.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

apparently open beta is live

edit: first langley game: up against a bogue with upgraded fighter loadout - lol, what's the loving point

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
I'm going to start going down the Japanese carrier line, as soon as I finish slogging through the Kawachi. Every negative experience I've had in this game has been because of torpedoes. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Evil_Greven posted:

The above about battleships being kinda... odd right now plus this is:

The Warspite has 5km secondaries. There is an upgrade that both increases secondary accuracy and range, which makes them shoot out to about 6km. Get it on the Warspite.

You definitely don't want the increased turret turn time/decreased reload time one. The Warspite is a brawler and it can turn really loving fast with the rudder upgrade. It is not the fastest battleship (I think it's in the middle of the pack in speed at 24 kph), but you can use terrain in a lot of places to get in and knife fight.

Oh god, yes. We were both running the improved secondary accuracy and range as well as the 'It is dangerous to approach close to this vessel' flags, which also boost range and accuracy. With also focusing the secondaries on a target (ctrl-click!), the Warspite can pretty much melt anything that happens to close to 6km. Other features on the Warspite include a decent armoured belt and positively eldritch torpedo resistance. Ironically, one of the first fast battleships makes for an excellent battlecruiser. Just close in and start removing the faces and hulls of anything silly enough to be smaller than you.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Cleveland doesn't feel like the same ship I used to enjoy in CBT. I'm getting hit for way more fire/crit damage/module damage while I just end up throwing HE shells at 350 damage each. And it's not nimble or small enough to close in distance without taking much hit either. Every game I just kill dumb destroyers getting inside 7 km (basically only when I can spot them) and even then I won't be able to kill them in 3 salvo with HE. Or just hope that I get to shoot battleships.

I'm actually finding Murmansk more enjoyable than Cleveland :stare:

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Aesis posted:

Cleveland doesn't feel like the same ship I used to enjoy in CBT. I'm getting hit for way more fire/crit damage/module damage while I just end up throwing HE shells at 350 damage each. And it's not nimble or small enough to close in distance without taking much hit either. Every game I just kill dumb destroyers getting inside 7 km (basically only when I can spot them) and even then I won't be able to kill them in 3 salvo with HE. Or just hope that I get to shoot battleships.

I'm actually finding Murmansk more enjoyable than Cleveland :stare:

Not sure if I yelled about it here or somewhere else, but the fact that the Cleveland's 6" guns have a higher trajectory/arc (and therefore longer travel times) is throwing me way off. For instance, at 10k, the Cleveland's guns have a 6.8s travel time. The Omaha's 6" guns have a 5.5s travel time. I was scoring a lot more citadels, and actually putting fire out at range, in the Omaha where I seem to be over or under with the Steamer.

And when you get the Pensacola, it's right back to a flatter arc iirc, so the Cleveland is just a 'bump' that's throwing me off.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well it is a bigger Atlanta essentially. It's alright the closer you are to enemy but there's also higher risk of dying. And it's not like those 6 inch guns can penetrate much with AP :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm installing Aslains, which mods are the must-haves? There's a boatload of different scope choices

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 2, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I'm installing Aslains, which mods are the must-haves? There's a boatload of different scope choices

Go with as simple of a scope as you can, because the really complex ones suck. They broke the Eye of Sauron mod too so the scopes with the ring pips are kind of useless clutter now.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAgZvVsW78

OBT starts today looks like. And a nice 4 day weekend to farm people who don't know what smoke does :unsmigghh:

Though prepare for ALL the friendly torp drops .5k away from you.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'll try to tear myself away from Witcher 3 to play some games. Might be hard though.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
I'm having a hard time "getting" destroyer play. I've got a Wickes, and I think I die first every game I play in and rarely kill anything. I had a game or two where I did serious work with the Sampson but just can't seem to get this even a little consistent. Is that just the nature of the beast or is there a secret I need to know?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Had quite the sendoff game for my Kuma. Once I warmed up to it, it turned out to be quite the nice little ship.

Good games to all the mumble bros who have to bear with my occasional bad jokes and frequent killstealing. I just can't help it, ok? DONT JUDGE ME.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mirrors posted:

I'm having a hard time "getting" destroyer play. I've got a Wickes, and I think I die first every game I play in and rarely kill anything. I had a game or two where I did serious work with the Sampson but just can't seem to get this even a little consistent. Is that just the nature of the beast or is there a secret I need to know?

Either go for point blank annihilation by lurking in tight waters and hemorrhaging torps or skirmish from long range, be annoying, light fires, hunt Japanese DDs, and survive to the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
The combination of spotting, limited smoke, powerful HE and short range on the torps makes US DDs hard to play. I find it really hit or miss, and if there's too many Atagos and Atlantas the match becomes an entire waste of time.

Spotting really is hosed up for DDs right now, in my Sims I can get spotted anywhere from 4 to 12km for seemingly no reason, this becomes even worse if aircraft are involved, a single CA with his fighters can shut you down.