Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
I've listened to Beats 1 enough where the repetition is starting to become a major drag. The programming between the big name shows seems to be about 20 songs total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

89 posted:

What does hitting the heart symbol on songs really do? It doesn't add it to your library, right? Kinda confusing. Looks like it doesn't do anything.

It helps tune the recommendations. It's lifted directly from Beats Music, which lifted it almost directly from Zune. Hit the heart on things you love, don't on things you don't. (They omitted Zune's "this sucks" broken heart option.)

Or in Spotify terms, it's like the old star button. Except it actually does something.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
heh. zune

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
I'm trying to figure out why am I still stuck with the "starred" playlist even though they got rid of the star function and replaced it with Your Music...

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP
i still use the star function on spotify.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It suddenly just feels like (almost) everything on iTunes is now free (for three months) and I've wasted thousands of pounds.

:negative:

stev fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 1, 2015

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Pretty stupefying how Apple left up so many barriers to using Beats 1 as a music discovery engine. It's been nearly impossible for me most of the time to save a track that I like or add it to a playlist or do anything that you should be able to do. I'm sure they thought of the use case--one of the strongest arguments for doing this whole big radio station thing.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Software update! :)

But no calming green logo. :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been using Spotify for so long that right now Apples music streaming service is confusing to me and I don't really like it. I think I just need time. For now I still love Spotify, but the software still needs a way to hide and artists Best Of, and Live albums.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I really hope they change the search function so that results pop up as you type instead of just recommended things if u know what I mean it makes sense

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

inSTAALed posted:

i still use the star function on spotify.

How? It was removed from Spotify quite awhile back. I wish I could still use it. :(

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

i was reloading posted:

How? It was removed from Spotify quite awhile back. I wish I could still use it. :(
You don't really "star" things they way you used to, but you can add songs to your Starred playlist like you'd add songs to any other playlist.

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot

queertea posted:

You don't really "star" things they way you used to, but you can add songs to your Starred playlist like you'd add songs to any other playlist.

I suppose that makes sense. When the update rolled out, I moved all of my starred music to "Your Music" and tried to delete the starred playlist but couldn't. Did some research on their community suggestion page and Spotify flat out said that the starred playlist will remain permanent. Makes no sense.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I believe Your Music has a limit of 10.000 songs, just like regular playlists have. There have been people in this thread who have said they have way more than 10.000 Starred songs.

If you put those two together then it's a simple case of them not being able to convert those Starred playlists when they introduced Your Music, not without pissing off hardcore Spotify users. They had to keep it around.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

What kind of jerkoff has more than 10,000 starred songs. Have some morals

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

who even remembers more than 10000 songs lol amirite

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I'm....I'm sorry :(

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I have nearly 500 saved tracks by Elvis Presley alone. 10,000 total isn't as crazy as it seems.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahahah Apple Music has a "Rappers criticised by Bill O'Reilly" playlist

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

I have nearly 500 saved tracks by Elvis Presley alone. 10,000 total isn't as crazy as it seems.

What? 500 Elvis songs saved is even crazier than it seems

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

What? 500 Elvis songs saved is even crazier than it seems

The man recorded a lot of soundtracks to terrible movies that I find endearing for whatever reason. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Bown posted:

Hahahah Apple Music has a "Rappers criticised by Bill O'Reilly" playlist

This one got copied over from Beats Music if I'm remembering correctly. Beats had some really random playlists.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

I have like 15,000ish

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I guess that different people interpret "favourite songs" differently. For some people it's songs that have special meaning to them, or represent the absolute best form of an artist's work. For others, it maybe is "songs I don't hate and wouldn't mind listening to again in the future". Sort of like making your own personal radio station. Neither approach is wrong, IMO, but whoever implemented it originally was leaning more towards one interpretation than the other.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Josh Homme's beats1 show is loving great.

I know we probably need a separate Apple Music/Beats1 thread but I don't wanna be the one to make it

silly
Jul 15, 2004

Bown posted:

I know we probably need a separate Apple Music/Beats1 thread but I don't wanna be the one to make it

Haha agreed. His signoff in particular was brilliant.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away

Bown posted:

Here you go. Can we stick to discussing Spotify in this thread?

i was reloading
Aug 15, 2015

by zen death robot
Are any of you switching to Apple Music? I've been a loyal Spotify user for years and I love it to bits, however this Apple Music looks pretty promising.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit: ^^^ yes but i would be anyway cause of the family thing. i think the app is far better as well though.

Well what's it doing in the DORK FORUM >: (

edit2: that thread sucks why isn't anyone talking about actual music

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 2, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
It's been two days. Everyone's still trying to figure out how to use the thing. I'm curious how the thread will evolve though, since there isn't as much of a social component (yet) as there is with Spotify. Not like the thread can form a community playlist, or even share their id information for others to follow.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

i was reloading posted:

Are any of you switching to Apple Music? I've been a loyal Spotify user for years and I love it to bits, however this Apple Music looks pretty promising.

No, which surprises me as I was expecting it to be a complete no-brainer. But it's missing some of the music I'm currently listening to on Spotify, and I don't see the point in cutting myself off from that music, Spotify's abysmal software updates notwithstanding.

In fact, I've only ever used Spotify and (probably naively) thought that different streaming services would basically have the same catalogue to choose from, except for a relatively small number of artists signed exclusively to a particular service. I'm not sure why I thought that, but I guess I just presumed once the streaming rights for an artist or album have been worked out on one platform, it would make it straightforward for other platforms to stream it if they chose to.

Has anyone else run into this, or am I an outlier?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

i was reloading posted:

Yeah I cancelled my spotify subscription.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's hard to switch instantly when you mostly use it to discover music and you have a backlog of two maxed out playlists.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

i was reloading posted:

I cancelled my Spotify sub and intend to stick with Apple Music for at least the duration of the trial period. It's kinda janky right now, at least in my experience, but I figure three months is plenty of time for Apple to tighten things up.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
For now I'm sticking with Spotify because
a) there's no Android app yet
b) the desktop version of iTunes/Apple Music is a laggy, overcomplex piece of poo poo

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
The biggest killer for me, other than Apple Music's inability to scrobble natively, is having to use iTunes on a desktop -- which may just be the most bloated, annoying, unintuitive piece of software that for some reason is still massively popular.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

i was reloading posted:

yes probably. I already have all of my local files in iTunes, now I can combine it will Apple's library. Spotify has never been able to do this competently. the iOS and desktop apps for Apple Music are better than Spotify imo (although a little slower, I think they'll work out the kinks soon enough). also for $14.99 I can get a family plan for my wife and me to share.

the only problem is recreating playlists from spotify. i have done one by hand and it took a long time but i find Apple's UI makes a lot of sense most of the time. there are a few things that could be improved

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i was reloading posted:

No, cause gently caress itunes. I mean spotufy isn't great but I definitely don't want to have to use that thing on my desktop and no Android usage.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

i use starred like i would use itunes i just throw any full album or artist discography in there i want and shuffle it like a radio station

i have like 35000 songs on there right now after culling it down a little bit the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Why is Spotify for Android re-downloading half of my playlists when I go online? Last night I went online to update it with a few songs and it randomly redownloaded 70% of a playlist.

• Locked thread