Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So how legitimate is the advice to go straight STR for tanking atm?

WAR is now one of the best DPS in the game and the other two aren't doing so bad themselves so unless people poopsocksing themselves blind in Ravana Ex ran some numbers, tanking with str jewelry is still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ciaphas posted:

In leveling Summoner I sort of feel like they could take away the pets completely, bolster the potency of the Ruins a bit, and rename the class and nothing would be missed. :(

Better yet, keep the name Summoner and rename and reskin all the previous skills to be derived from a Primal. Bio can be an Ifrit dot, Bio 2 a Leviathan dot and Miasma a Garuda dot. Ruin 1 can be a Titan boulder and Ruin 2 can be a Ramuh bolt since it causes blind. Tri-Bind can be a Shiva skill.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Literally the only time a truly pet centric class has ever been fun in an MMO is Masterminds in City of Heroes, and FF14 is not that style of game. So I'm okay with pets being most forgettable ability turrets that mostly serve to make the job lore distinct.

I think they could do some more interesting cooldowns that buff the pet, at least. Something along the lines of Spur and Rouse, but more visually/mechanically interesting. Enkindle on a 2minute cooldown was a small step in the right direction, it's just overshadowed by everything else.

And personally, I enjoyed playing a Beastmaster-specced hunter towards the start of some of the early expansions, and while they don't have to go full-on that route, I think there's room to make the Egis a bit more interesting.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
So ... all the talk of classes a few pages back was pretty nice, but.

When are we getting Samurai?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Captain Oblivious posted:

Literally the only time a truly pet centric class has ever been fun in an MMO is Masterminds in City of Heroes, and FF14 is not that style of game. So I'm okay with pets being most forgettable ability turrets that mostly serve to make the job lore distinct.

RIP COX, taken too soon before its time.

Though if they did put in Beastmaster, I would like them to go that route, with the Beast being the point from which all the BST's ability's damage comes from, and any actual effects coming from the BST being support or cooldown effects.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 2, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I tanked Bismarck EX with full STR jewelry and had absolutely zero issues, and others have said the same about Ravana EX. Just make sure your left side is good and you should be fine.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I've tanked both with plenty of hp to spare as a DRK so I guess that makes sense, just wasn't sure if the hp buffer was more important in the long run or not.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
NThan fates just shouldn't give xp once your class is 51+. The end.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/06/29/final-fantasy-xiv-heavensward-review

This was posted before but every single comment on this review is negative, everybody is destroying this guy, and with good reason - what the hell did he expect? Although, what the hell did WE expect, it is IGN after all. As someone pointed out, even Kotaku can review better than this guy - and they're the ones who just this week posted an article complaining about the troubling social implications of a plot point that happens midway through Arkham Knight without seeing how it's resolved properly.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
someone needs to make an au ra named Jeffiroth tia

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Espilae posted:

This was posted before but every single comment on this review is negative, everybody is destroying this guy, and with good reason - what the hell did he expect? Although, what the hell did WE expect, it is IGN after all. As someone pointed out, even Kotaku can review better than this guy - and they're the ones who just this week posted an article complaining about the troubling social implications of a plot point that happens midway through Arkham Knight without seeing how it's resolved properly.

neat

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Espilae posted:

I never had an interest in game reviews outside of my subscription to Nintendo Power when I was a tyke, and this and some of the other articles linked in the comments make me glad for that fact. Has "games journalism" always been so politically correct, milquetoast and whiny? Or is it something new that's happening?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Espilae posted:

"we"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

We are so not having a discussion about ethics in games journalism in this thread.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
It's about ethics in n.than fate grinding

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Dungeons give too much exp! Its like 75% of your entire exp bar for a single run. I'm at level 47 and my story quest is only at 44. I'm even skipping most of the side quests to try and catch up.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Velveteen posted:

Dungeons give too much exp! Its like 75% of your entire exp bar for a single run. I'm at level 47 and my story quest is only at 44. I'm even skipping most of the side quests to try and catch up.

It's fine, actually. There's a huge gap in main story quests between 47 and 49.

Also there's no such thing as too much XP.

KaneTW fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 2, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Velveteen posted:

This is actually a good thing since your first job won't get any Armory Bonus, so the Story Quests having a massive EXP reward helps keep things up.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Velveteen posted:

It sounds like they finally fixed the horrible gap between 47 and 49 where you were doomed to grind N. Thanalan fates for two levels before getting to finish the story. Net positive, IMO.

I also learned today that they modified the level 45 and 50 Job quests to give you the upgraded ilevel 90 AF gear in addition to the ilevel 50 stuff. It's another nice catch-up mechanic to ensure that at least everyone has ilevel 90 left-side equipment.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Espilae posted:

so it was about ethics in games journalism after all!!!!!!

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Whatever, I'm dumb. Back on topic:

HAY GUYZ, is MCH hosed or what!?
(seriously, was that just patch week one overreaction or is it really as bad as people say, I want to shoot things).

Autisanal Cheese fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jul 2, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

vOv posted:

We are so not having a discussion about ethics in games journalism in this thread.

Actually, it's about ethics in Ishgardian clergy.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boten Anna posted:

WAR is now one of the best DPS in the game and the other two aren't doing so bad themselves so unless people poopsocksing themselves blind in Ravana Ex ran some numbers, tanking with str jewelry is still great.

That said, make sure you grab some vit accessorites anyway. Sometimes healers suck or you've having an off day,

That and sometimes healers get really pissy about what gear you have on and yeah you can be a super macho dude and tell him to gently caress off and convince the DPS to votekick him or you can just put on some loving stam gear because the time you spend arguing could be spent finishing the dungeon.

Velveteen posted:

Well then you're in for a treat because leveling slows way the hell down in elflands.

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 2, 2015

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Obligatum VII posted:

If there was a dancer class, it would have to have that Mamool Ja dance as one of its moves. The only animation I can imagine doing it justice is a giant censor bar, though.

Every single person in the raid's screen just cuts to

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The censor needs to be Hildibrand pulling The Most Gentlemanly Pose

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Your main goal should be then, to find a combination of str and fending jewlery that lets you hit the Ravana EX acc cap (it's around 560 last i heard?) in DPS stance. Anything beyond that is gravy.

On a side note, I keep seeing people trying to replacing DPS with Warriors, and it's been hilarious as additional tanks tend to hardcore gently caress up Primal/Raid mechanics due to the way the game decides who gets what in some fights. And WAR is EVENTUALLY getting that nerf in 3.1 (or whatever), and I'd rather have people learning how to play DPS classes now and getting good at those honestly.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 2, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i'm leveling dragoon to 60 solely for tactics ogre dragoon armor

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Verranicus posted:

I never had an interest in game reviews outside of my subscription to Nintendo Power when I was a tyke, and this and some of the other articles linked in the comments make me glad for that fact. Has "games journalism" always been so politically correct, milquetoast and whiny? Or is it something new that's happening?

It has been politically correct, milquetoast, whiny and people forgot it always was somehow. Nintendo power was the poo poo though.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 2, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
please stop unironically using "politically correct" and talk about FFXIV instead

please

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Even as MT on Ravana Ex, on war, with full STR gear and point assignment I was never anywhere close to dying. War takes hits the worst of the three possible tank jobs too so right now, full STR is the way to go. Full law left side and slaying right side pushes you way over the Ravana accuracy cap, I might add, and probably will cap you out for at least the start of Alexander.

That said, if you're planning on doing Alexander (especially Savage in 3 weeks) you are almost certainly going to have to throw more vit on for survivability, but no one knows how much. If you're doing Ex primals and your healers aren't as good at keeping you topped up, you might need more there too.

My advice would be to get both sets of accessories, fending and slaying, now when you have a lot of time on your hands and 1000 law is easier to get. Default to max STR whenever you are doing something and sub in vit accessories as needed to increase survivability.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Man, I didn't even realize how dire the situation was in Northern Thanalan. I was 70k from leveling at 54, so I went to hang a few FATEs and jesus gently caress, even at 8 am on a weekday on Excalibur it's like being in a prime time boss FATE. Everything dies instantly, it's laggy and culled to gently caress, and I can't help but think how cool it would be to see all these dudes spread out in the new expansion zones instead.

What's the situation like on the JP side? Are they complaining about people doing NThan instead of ishgard FATEs? It doesn't even seem like a difficult fix, just make the EXP:HP ratios actually match or be higher than NThan.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Minrad posted:

Man, I didn't even realize how dire the situation was in Northern Thanalan. I was 70k from leveling at 54, so I went to hang a few FATEs and jesus gently caress, even at 8 am on a weekday on Excalibur it's like being in a prime time boss FATE. Everything dies instantly, it's laggy and culled to gently caress, and I can't help but think how cool it would be to see all these dudes spread out in the new expansion zones instead.

What's the situation like on the JP side? Are they complaining about people doing NThan instead of ishgard FATEs? It doesn't even seem like a difficult fix, just make the EXP:HP ratios actually match or be higher than NThan.

Wait, I somehow missed this. People are using those Fates to level to 60? Do they hate fun?

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's the Destiny loot cave all over again.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boten Anna posted:

Oh yeah also the worst part of that IGN review is that he's whining that BBUT NEW PLAYERS WILL HAVE TO QUEUE FOREVER FOR OLD STUFF PROBABLY ACCORDING TO NUMBERS I PULL OUT OF MY rear end and didn't take like 5 goddamned seconds to notice that there's daily roulettes that cover all the 2.0 story stuff and that this game has never really had a major problem with getting people in to help new players through content ever.

The best thing about the dungeon finder changes is, if you need a dungeon/trial for story, queue solo and you will wait less than 2 minutes even as a dps.* And as a healer class, I get a newbie sprout in my lldr more often than not now, doing babby's first tam-tara. They really fixed this poo poo up.

* As long as there's people queuing anyway, I had to wait 30 minutes for the final HW fight, because the last healer took that long to queue up (at 7am on a weekday, less than a week after release :v:).

jim truds posted:

Wait, I somehow missed this. People are using those Fates to level to 60? Do they hate fun?

Welcome to MMO games autism central.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jim truds posted:

FATES in HW zone's just don't reward greater enough XP to make them worth it.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 2, 2015

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You're supposed to be able to remove the level sync even with a full party, but it's broken:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b7cce54cdfb8bc40675523d5998bec264a0116e0

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
HW FATES give barely more EXP than the ones in N Than, (remember how exp scaled linearly during 2.0? That's how FATE and still scales up to 60, while http://i.imgur.com/DZvEboX.png). Add the fact that HW FATE mobs have dumb amounts of HP to chew through, exp/hr is possibly worse than N Than even in a FATE group?

Also, I'm guessing not everyone has the expansion yet, which is why there's more playerbase for N Than than any single HW zone? :shrug:

Boten Anna posted:

You're supposed to be able to remove the level sync even with a full party, but it's broken:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/b7cce54cdfb8bc40675523d5998bec264a0116e0

This makes sense to me. I found it odd it'd work for 7 people but not 8.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Iron Tusk posted:

FATES in HW zone's just don't reward greater enough XP to make them worth it.

It's not a matter of it being someone sitting down with a calculator and figuring out optimal XP per hour either. FATE XP in HW areas really is just bad. A fraction of a quest's worth of XP and noticeably more difficult to clear than ARR zone FATEs.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Heavensward FATEs would be far preferable if the EXP matched the HP ratio of the mobs.

- Flying mounts make zone travel trivial
- Every zone (except Sea of Clouds, RIP) has a 1-2 level range of FATEs, so you're not sadly looking at the western side of Coerthas Central and wishing more of the mid 30s fates would spawn.
- Zones themselves are larger and hold more FATEs, so you're basically guaranteed to always have FATEs up to do, and less downtime between them.
- it's loving new god drat if I have to do that stupid succubi fate chain in nthan one more time............

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I DPS'd Amdapour Keep at 50 and it didn't actually give me any exp outside of fulfilling my challenge log for that day, so I dunno how exactly the HM dungeons work for exp. I don't think they give you any outside of roulettes.

• Locked thread