Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

I was just about to post this. I just got an email from Fender about it. I'm not really sure if I like it or not. Was never this biggest Tele fan to begin with, but I am sure it could grow on me the same way the Tele has in the last few months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I kind of like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3akoScKyJo&t=36s

Here's an older one, sort of:

Which I love

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 2, 2015

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I'm really digging this jam session. These wouldn't happen to be covers would they? What would you categorize this music as? I want to play more of it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Guitar Center has an Acoustic G20 Combo Amp on sale for 50 bucks for the next couple days. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Lead-Guitar-Series-G20-20W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106702475-i1909600.gc) The internet says this is a quality amp for the price. Is it worth my money?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

It breaks my head looking at it, but not in a bad way. Much cooler than double cut les paul.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
So I ordered all the parts I need to replace the black hardware with chrome on my guitar and I'm gonna start with the pickup rings. How hard can I expect this to be? I'm reading places telling me that I'll have to deal with springs that hold the pickup to the rings, other places say it's just a long screw. I'm too much of a weenie to go and see in case I can't undo it. It's an EMG 81/85 set and the guitar's a limited edition Metallica graphic LTD.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Rhopunzel posted:

So I ordered all the parts I need to replace the black hardware with chrome on my guitar and I'm gonna start with the pickup rings. How hard can I expect this to be? I'm reading places telling me that I'll have to deal with springs that hold the pickup to the rings, other places say it's just a long screw. I'm too much of a weenie to go and see in case I can't undo it. It's an EMG 81/85 set and the guitar's a limited edition Metallica graphic LTD.

It's typically a long screw with a spring around it. It's not a big deal.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Measure the distance of the pickup (bass and treble sides) to the strings so you'll know what height to set it at after you put it back together.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

unlawfulsoup posted:

It breaks my head looking at it, but not in a bad way. Much cooler than double cut les paul.

wrong

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm not sure if I like it because of the shape or because I'm a sucker for natural finishes.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:agreed:

edit: my one money-is-no-object guitar that I will never, ever own is a Gibson LP Special doublecut in TV yellow.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 3, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
let the record show i support neither tv yellow nor les paul juniors

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I really hate everything about that. Symmetrical shapes on guitars look awful.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Y'all have terrible taste. I want one. I'd learn some country, get a big white hat, play it on the tailgate of a truck while looking out over empty wheat fields... Yeeehaw!

But seriously, I want one.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Finally a double-cutaway! *plays tasteful wheat-based licks at the 22nd fret*

Seriously that thing has better fret access than my Strat copy. T'aint natural

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Exceptions: classical guitars and noncutaway archtops.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

One of my favorite things about a Tele is the big hunk of wood. If you take some away for no reason other than looks I don't know if I could want one. It kinda looks nice but... wood. I can already hit all the notes on a regular Tele. singlecuts4life.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I want a double cut Tele, except in Esquire configuration.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Something is driving me mad, it's just from excitement on my part.
I've got a load of gigs coming up and I've not done one in literally 12 years, but I can't really shout about them so it's frustrating :(

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 3, 2015

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I'm excited for you and I don't even know what it is you're doing :buddy:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Counterpoint: my ears are still ringing from abuse by this thing last night:

It's so great to live in a world where both King Buzzo and J. Mascis have signature guitars. The future isn't so bad, guys! :unsmith:

(I should contact Electrical to see how much it would cost to get an acrylic one in neon snot green...)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Something is driving me mad, it's just from excitement on my part.
I've got a load of gigs coming up and I've not done one in literally 12 years, but I can't really shout about them so it's frustrating :(

Similar, I'm sort of auditioning with a band soon here. I'm nervous but at least it happens after I get the monte allums mod for my GE-7 here and installed. Looking forward to having that pedal with quiet operation.

Might even be after the new pickups arrive and get installed but that's up to the mercy of what two days off does to the post office. :911:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 3, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

I'm excited for you and I don't even know what it is you're doing :buddy:

It's daft but it's the internet thing, I like the anonymity etc but also at the same time want to share stuff with you guys because I think you'd like it, nnnnng!

I'll take some pics when it happens from the stage or something, it's going to be good hopefully, it's a sell out to about 800 people to kick off a series of gigs.

I'm really excited and nervy as well...

Shugojin posted:

Similar, I'm soet of auditioning with a band soon here. I'm nervous but at least it happens after I get the monte allums mod for my GE-7 here and installed. Looking forward to having that pedal with quiet operation.

Might even be after the new pickups arrive and get installed but that's up to the mercy of what two days off does to the post office. :911:

Good luck man, and yeah if possible get your gear right, comfort is a big part of doing well at these things :)

After The War posted:

Is that a Travis Bean?

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 3, 2015

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

Is that a Travis Bean?

In the spirit of...

http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/models/

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ah cool!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Does anyone know how EVH gets that "chainsaw" sound? By what I gather it's a JCM 800 cranked to 10, but there has to be more to it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

OhDearGodNo posted:

Does anyone know how EVH gets that "chainsaw" sound? By what I gather it's a JCM 800 cranked to 10, but there has to be more to it.

He goes through loads of his techniques here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlK15EEQ7Y

In the related vids you'll find a 55 minute version, so far it's awesome, maybe it's in there?
I post this because it's the man himself talking about how he does stuff.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

After The War posted:

God I'm super lame but I always appreciate a gig when I don't have to worry about loving my ears up because it's only pretty loud as opposed to stupid loud.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

sout posted:

God I'm super lame but I always appreciate a gig when I don't have to worry about loving my ears up because it's only pretty loud as opposed to stupid loud.

I just bring earplugs to any show I go to

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

He goes through loads of his techniques here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlK15EEQ7Y

In the related vids you'll find a 55 minute version, so far it's awesome, maybe it's in there?
I post this because it's the man himself talking about how he does stuff.

First thank you- watching right now.

Second, I just realized I could walk by him these days and never recognize him.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

OhDearGodNo posted:

Second, I just realized I could walk by him these days and never recognize him.

:stare: yeah ...

It's clearly him when they show his face close up but I wouldn't know it if it wasn't in the context of that video. Looks like a cross between the Ultimate Warrior and Just Some Dad.

Wanted to see what a no-cut Tele would look like due to all the hubbub. I actually don't hate this one either.

e: Forgot to brush off the bottom strap thing. :effort

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

haha it has boobies

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Dad Halen is awesome!

In other news, some buddies of mine were in a band called The Chameleons and they (the drummer, guitarist and loads of other folk) have just released a new album for pre order.
I sat in some sessions so I am excited to see how it comes out:

https://thekaboomroom.wordpress.com/2015/07/02/the-red-sided-garter-snakes-endless-sea-album-july-24-2015/

I've heard varying reports and it's been a bit of a drama magnet but wanted to share, this is The Chameleons other stuff, I love the guitaring and he's a top guy as is the drummer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYNHjmnlZbA

We're doing some gigs with them at some point, but no one knows much about when or where yet, the album linked above was a huge collaboration and getting it on stage is a big ask.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

haha it has boobies

Titcaster

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Thinking of picking up a Godin A6 in the morning

Any similar guitars I should look into instead? Looking for an acousticy electric for mostly clean jazzy r&b kind of stuff.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010

philkop posted:

Thinking of picking up a Godin A6 in the morning

Any similar guitars I should look into instead? Looking for an acousticy electric for mostly clean jazzy r&b kind of stuff.

From Experience:

I would suggest something more like a telecaster or hollow body electric with an actual bridge pickup. It sounds super acoustic with the bridge transducer, and the neck pickup sounds kinda like you would expect a neck pickup on any other hollow body electric guitar. If you play it unplugged it sounds twangy almost like a deep mandolin/guitar hybrid. Give it a try in a shop before you buy it for sure.

I somewhat regret getting it because it doesn't fill any specific role particularly better than something else. It's cool and gimmicky though. If you just want something unique then go for it. I'd probably rather have an $300 electric and $300 acoustic.

E: that said I'm going to change the strings on it now because it's cool and gimmicky.

precedence fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 4, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

precedence posted:

From Experience:

I would suggest something more like a telecaster or hollow body electric with an actual neck pickup. It sounds super acoustic with the bridge transducer, and the neck pickup sounds kinda like you would expect a neck pickup on any other hollow body electric guitar. If you play it unplugged it sounds twangy almost like a deep mandolin/guitar hybrid. Give it a try in a shop before you buy it for sure.

I somewhat regret getting it because it doesn't fill any specific role particularly better than something else. It's cool and gimmicky though. If you just want something unique then go for it. I'd probably rather have an $300 electric and $300 acoustic.

E: that said I'm going to change the strings on it now because it's cool and gimmicky.

Good to know. I'll definitely try to find one to try out first.

I'm mainly looking to get that slappy palm meeting subtlety of an acoustic. I should build a condenser mic into my electric lol.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
This was at the local shop. It's like if you actually met Bigfoot in person after always thinking of it as a myth.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
That is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

OhDearGodNo posted:

Basically a 60s/70s 100W Marshall with everything dimed except bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rcv_nB2N5E