Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
My base defense has crashed trying to resolve the same turn twice in a row now. I suspect it's related to a LoS bug regarding stairs, MECs, and boxes, lately featuring a Sectoid Commander mind controlling a MEC that didn't have line of sight to any aliens. Fortunately the game crashed before resolving the turn and the last time it did so it brought me back to the start of my previous turn, so everything will probably be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Then I'd guess maybe if you hold off super long the ethereals all get replaced with sectopods? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i just realized i never bought iron will which explains why everyones will score blows

I'm doing my first impossible run, with save scummery up the rear end because I'm incredibly lame and bad, and its pretty much been blitz Xcom. I did the base assault before month two was done which was okay I guess since if I hadn't I would have lost. Had around two days to spare before that happened. It was the most take base assault I had; the most intimidating things in there was a single squad of mutons. Other than that, there was just sectoids/drones/bugs.

e: and yes, mechasectoids and cyberdiscs seem to always appear in base defense since that was the first time I had seen them in my campaign and it was pretty happy to throw them at me in a pretty loving cavalier fashion.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 1, 2015

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Internet Kraken posted:

Then I'd guess maybe if you hold off super long the ethereals all get replaced with sectopods? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Or, possibly, the selection of which enemies appear in missions is delivered by a hidden system of weighted random values, and like most things which are variable asserting a system of rules which are sensical to cognitively-biased human minds based on a limited number of anecdotes is fallacious at best?

For what it's worth, my dimly-remembered multi-Ethereal base defense included at least one Sectopod, and I'm pretty sure it was more than one.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Sjonkel posted:

Just finished EW on normal, and it was pretty fun! After the base defense it seemed like it was pretty much over, and the only death I had was a colonel using a tank for cover, when the tank suddenly blew up and hit her for 15 damage.

Want to try classic next, but I really need to improve my game to have much of a chance. So for the first few months, what do you guys prioritize to research?

I'll try to get as many satellites up as possible, but one thing I'm really not sure about is the interceptors. I pretty much went regular interceptors -> interceptors with laser cannons -> firestorms with plasma in my playthrough, but there are tons of other air weapons I didn't touch. Which ones are "worth" it to research and build?

And lastly, what can I safely sell early on to fund all this, and what should I absolutely keep?

I beeline it to mechs right away and build the mechbay as soon as the research finishes. This means I can only afford 1 satellite the first month but the added survivability the mech brings is HUGE.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
of 24 colonels, around 14 of which has 90-120 will, only 2 became Psionic.

Something hosed up has happened to my game.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Onmi posted:

Probably the fact you have 24 colonels

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Onmi posted:

Statistically you should of had 5 or 6 psionics, I think, so RNG sorta boned you. The chance after the first 2 is Will/4 so a 120 will soldier is only 30%.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Iron Rose posted:

Probably the fact you have 24 colonels

well, no I have 28, it's just the remaining 4 are MECs 3 with +90 will (2 with +100)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think psy potential is dynamically adjusted, the fewer psykers you have, the more likely that a newly tested soldier would have it. Conversely, if you already have a bunch, then tests will show no gift.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

I think psy potential is dynamically adjusted, the fewer psykers you have, the more likely that a newly tested soldier would have it. Conversely, if you already have a bunch, then tests will show no gift.

I got 1 when I first did it, 1 in my third test? and then no psykers in the tests I've run since then with my highest willed soldiers at max rank. I do not have an explanation.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Second Wave option More Than Human scales the chance lower based on how many psionic soldiers there are. There also is a bonus chance for the first 2:

quote:

If there are zero current psionic soldiers, the bonus is 75 (rookie), 55 (squaddie), 35 (sergeant), and 15 (lieutenant).
If there is one current psionic soldier, the bonus is 35 (rookie) and 15 (squaddie).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

these are my only Second Wave options. It should be noted that Zhang, who's almost always a Psionic in every game besides this had no potential this time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That reminds me, can someone tell me how absolutely critical works in regards to units that can't take cover? Does your crit rate against them remain the same or do you crit them every single time?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

That reminds me, can someone tell me how absolutely critical works in regards to units that can't take cover? Does your crit rate against them remain the same or do you crit them every single time?

they usually have inbuilt defense which counts as cover.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Onmi posted:

these are my only Second Wave options. It should be noted that Zhang, who's almost always a Psionic in every game besides this had no potential this time.

I don't think he's guaranteed to be psionic - in my second game he wasn't - that may be one reason why Progeny gives you four guaranteed psionics even if they can come a little late in the game.

Speaking of which - in my second game, I never got any of the Progeny missions, and I'm pretty sure I didn't get the first mission and reject it. Then again, it was a bit strange - it took about three weeks (maybe four) for Overseer to show up after I built the Hyperwave Relay. Meh, whatever, won on Normal.

Second Wave settings are fun. You can build some OP soldiers.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I have found this XCOM fanart and I must say... part of it speaks to me. Nothing like seeing someone's beloved ponies get put in the interrogation chamber after all.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i dont forgive you for your curiosity and autism

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like the idea of modded xcom 2 since there will be a lot of warhammer 40K mods that are never finished

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

I like the idea of modded xcom 2 since there will be a lot of warhammer 40K mods that are never finished

And those nearing completion will recieve C&D letters.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Lima posted:

And those nearing completion will recieve C&D letters.

Either that or they go the way EYE: divine cybermancy did.

Actually, does parody clause count for IP's?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Isn't GW generally fine with mods as long as they are total conversion?

VVVVV true

Kennel fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jul 2, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Warhammer is boring as heck.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I don't think there's any other company that micromanages their IP as hard as GW. They shut down a DoW mod that added squirrels as spehs mehreens fighting squirrels was found to be lacking in grimdark.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Kennel posted:

I'll let trad gaming goons to field that one. As far as I know they C&D'd at least 4 fan websites. - e: apparently for using the trademark names as website names and hotlinking/deep linking (wtf is deeplinking) GW's website.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Warhammer is boring as heck.

It's dumb, it's grimderp and that's why it's fun for me.

Musluk fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 2, 2015

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Kennel posted:

VVVVV true

No. That was their strict policy for the Dawn of War games, where you could only distribute a mod if the content was plausibly 'in universe' for 40k, or if it was a total conversion with no collision with 40k content. If you wanted to make an original race of anthro squirrels for DoW then you weren't allowed to have them wear space marine armor, nor could you let them be played against any 40k race. Every possible screenshot or video of the DoW games had to feature all or no 40k content.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Also, advent armor really reminds me of something...

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
As much as i like that, and i really do, i hope we also see some more advent civvy animations that are less outright hostile in a saturday morning cartoon show way.

You know, aggressively grabbing and throwing them away from the combat zone, forceful (by gunpoint) "GET OUT OF THE AREA NON-COMBATANT" one-time only warnings and all that kind of thing.

I'm all for them being cartoonishly evil, but lets make it alittle nuanced eh? ;)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Thyrork posted:

As much as i like that, and i really do, i hope we also see some more advent civvy animations that are less outright hostile in a saturday morning cartoon show way.

You know, aggressively grabbing and throwing them away from the combat zone, forceful (by gunpoint) "GET OUT OF THE AREA NON-COMBATANT" one-time only warnings and all that kind of thing.

I'm all for them being cartoonishly evil, but lets make it alittle nuanced eh? ;)
The game's meant to be entertaining, not realistic.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Thyrork posted:

As an American, that seems pretty in line with what I expect from the police.

Real answer: Those civies are running towards the zone, trying to figure out what is going on. Advent is probably worried about potential Xcom sympathizers and is thus taking a zero tolerance stance on ANYONE interacting with them in any way. They control the mass media so its not like they have to worry about bad publicity resulting from a few broken jaws.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

The game's meant to be entertaining, not realistic.

Realism? :raise:

Internet Kraken posted:

As an American, that seems pretty in line with what I expect from the police.

Real answer: Those civies are running towards the zone, trying to figure out what is going on. Advent is probably worried about potential Xcom sympathizers and is thus taking a zero tolerance stance on ANYONE interacting with them in any way. They control the mass media so its not like they have to worry about bad publicity resulting from a few broken jaws.

I know, its just a little detail I'd enjoy. I'm sure they'll be a range of mean spirited animations that the Advent will use to keep potential hostiles/civilians out of the combat zones.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
That would be a really interesting type of mission.

"Sneak into this area. Make it over to this 'free speech' zone. Record imagery, from multiple angles, of Advent troops beating the crap out of innocent civilians. Exfiltrate without being detected."

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I've beaten EU and EW on Classic and not enough of a masochist for Impossible, but Invisible Inc got me in the mood for turn-based tactical where I can shoot back. Jagged Alliance 2 seemed too daunting even though I already own in on GOG, and Breach & Clear was a bit too low-budget. Is there another game that might scratch the itch? Doorkickers?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Doorkickers is real-time with pausing, so it's not exactly the same thing. It's definitely fun, but the game's own rating system is inconsistent at best so don't worry too much about acing everything ever. Also the controls REALLY take some getting used to.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Shumagorath posted:

I've beaten EU and EW on Classic and not enough of a masochist for Impossible, but Invisible Inc got me in the mood for turn-based tactical where I can shoot back. Jagged Alliance 2 seemed too daunting even though I already own in on GOG, and Breach & Clear was a bit too low-budget. Is there another game that might scratch the itch? Doorkickers?

Have you tried Long War? Normal difficulty with the Dynamic War second wave option and the one that increases Interceptor accuracy (away from computer and don't remember the name of it) is a natural extension off of EW Classic.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

TheCenturion posted:

"Sneak into this area. Make it over to this 'free speech' zone. Record imagery, from multiple angles, of Advent troops beating the crap out of innocent civilians. Exfiltrate without being detected."

Thank you for saying exfiltrate

100% unironically

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

MrBims posted:

Have you tried Long War? Normal difficulty with the Dynamic War second wave option and the one that increases Interceptor accuracy (away from computer and don't remember the name of it) is a natural extension off of EW Classic.
Not yet but the list of endorsements looks like high praise. It's either that or JA2.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

it'd be a bit poo poo imo

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

TheCenturion posted:

camera missions are always one of the worst things when you're replaying any game

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

camera missions are always one of the worst things when you're replaying any game

Someone never played Dead Rising

best song here

• Locked thread