Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

Jesus, One Piece had only been going for about a year when Stone Ocean was going on.

Steel Ball Run lasted a long time.
steel ball run switched to a monthly magazine a little ways in, so that explains that. only 12 chapters a year as opposed to 52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
So looking at this blog post I found through the other Jojo thread - apparently the prison guard's meteor stand from part 6, called Planet Waves, was originally Earth, Wind, and Fire (the name later given to Mikitaka's stand during part 4 according to that one Jojo sourcebook) during the series' publication in Shonen Jump? Really weird. I know that motorcycle stand in part 8 went through a name change between Ultra Jump serialization and the volume release too, but I guess that really wasn't a first for the series (excluding Pucci's final stand).

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Aurora posted:

Jesus, One Piece had only been going for about a year when Stone Ocean was going on.

Steel Ball Run lasted a long time.
This post actually lead me to look up how long each part ran for, which lead me to looking up when other famous shounen series got their start, which lead me to throw this together because I guess I had the time.

A TIMELINE OF JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE

Part 1 - Phantom Blood
Published from December 1986 to October 1987 lasting ten months.

Part 2 - Battle Tendency
Published from October 1987 to March 1989 lasting one year and six months.

Fist of the North Star concludes in 1988.

Part 3 - Stardust Crusaders
Published from March 1989 to April 1992 lasting three years and one month.

Berserk debuts in 1989.
Hajime no Ippo debuts in 1989.
Slam Dunk debuts in 1990.
YuYu Hakusho debuts in 1990.

Part 4 - Diamond is Unbreakable
Published from April 1992 to November 1995 lasting three years and seven months.

Akagi debuts in 1992.
Detective Conan debuts in 1994.
Rurouni Kenshin debuts in 1994.
YuYu Hakusho concludes in 1994.
Dragon Ball (Z) concludes in 1995.

Part 5 - Golden Wind
Published from November 1995 to March 1999 lasting three years and four months.

Yu-Gi-Oh! debuts in 1996.
Slam Dunk concludes in 1996.
One Piece debuts in 1997.
Hunter x Hunter debuts in 1998.
Shaman King debuts in 1998.
Akagi begins playing against Washizu in 1998.

~EIGHT MONTH BREAK~

Naruto debuts in 1999.
Rurouni Kenshin concludes in 1999.
Something Awful is founded in 1999.

Part 6 - Stone Ocean
Published from December 1999 to February 2003 lasting three years and three months.

Bleach debuts in 2001.
Fullmetal Alchemist debuts in 2001.
Eyeshield 21 debuts in 2002.

~TEN MONTH BREAK~

Gintama debuts in 2003.
Death Note debuts in 2003.
4chan is founded in 2003.

Part 7 - Steel Ball Run
Published from January 2004 to April 2011 lasting seven years and four months.

Shaman King concludes in 2004.
Yu-Gi-Oh! concludes in 2004.
D. Gray-Man debuts in 2004.
Soul Eater debuts in 2004.
Fairy Tail debuts in 2006.
Death Note concludes in 2006.
Guts boards the ship in 2006/7.
Toriko debuts in 2008.
Attack on Titan debuts in 2009.
Eyeshield 21 concludes in 2009.
Fullmetal Alchemist concludes in 2010.

Part 8 - Jojolion
Publishing since May 2011 for four years and two months.

Soul Eater concludes in 2013.
Naruto concludes in 2014.
My Hero Academia debuts in 2014.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 2, 2015

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Akagi begins playing against Washizu in 1998.
:negative:

I can't imagine having to read Steel Ball Run as it was released, the monthly waiting would've been actual murder (even though it began around the same time I started reading One Piece weekly). Now I just have to deal with reading a mystery series semi-monthly!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DIEGO's World was spoiled several months in advance of it having a chance of it being translated. It predates my reading of JoJo, but imagine knowing that had happened but having no clue what the hell it means and what the context really is. It apparently took months for chapters to get SBR translated, so we should be extremely grateful of Hi Wa Mata Noboru.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
we need more warm family moments in jojo

like i just want joseph to hug jotaro and and "i love you grandson" just once

i want jotaro to do the same to jolyne. i would kill for a fan manga of a jojo family reunion (do they even have family reunions in Japan?). could you imagine? who would gently caress up the potato salad, i wonder? :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Race Realists posted:

we need more warm family moments in jojo

like i just want joseph to hug jotaro and and "i love you grandson" just once

i want jotaro to do the same to jolyne. i would kill for a fan manga of a jojo family reunion (do they even have family reunions in Japan?). could you imagine? who would gently caress up the potato salad, i wonder? :v:

Josuke, because he tried to use shenanigans to do it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Bad Seafood posted:

This post actually lead me to look up how long each part ran for, which lead me to looking up when other famous shounen series got their start, which lead me to throw this together because I guess I had the time.

A TIMELINE OF JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE

That's pretty handy, thanks for doing the research! Do you mind if I make a timeline image out of this (with credit to you on it, of course)?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xibanya posted:

That's pretty handy, thanks for doing the research! Do you mind if I make a timeline image out of this (with credit to you on it, of course)?
if you make a timeline image be sure to have random panels from akagi vs washizu floating around from every point after it starts

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

if you make a timeline image be sure to have random panels from akagi vs washizu floating around from every point after it starts

As someone who knows almost nothing about Akagi, I'm guessing this match up is still going to this day?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goodbye balanced game, hello Pet Shop.

e: If you're keeping count, this puts the Part 3 representation up to 11 without shoe-ins like Ice and DIO even confirmed yet.

Diego is still the only post Part 4 character. This game's roster is going to be insane, even if the game's not great.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who knows almost nothing about Akagi, I'm guessing this match up is still going to this day?

Yes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Aurain posted:

DIEGO's World was spoiled several months in advance of it having a chance of it being translated. It predates my reading of JoJo, but imagine knowing that had happened but having no clue what the hell it means and what the context really is. It apparently took months for chapters to get SBR translated, so we should be extremely grateful of Hi Wa Mata Noboru.
For the longest time we only had the first three volumes of Part 6 and the first five volumes of SBR translated, so when someone finally got around to it they had a multi-year backlog to contend with. Furthermore, according to a translator I chatted with once, the jump from a shounen magazine to a seinen magazine meant an increase in the complexity of language Araki was allowed to use. It's been years since I had that conversation though, so take my hazily remembered recollection with a grain of salt.

Xibanya posted:

Go right ahead.

I was gonna chip in on the panel discussion as well, but wound up being busy yesterday.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Translated ver.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

steel ball run switched to a monthly magazine a little ways in, so that explains that. only 12 chapters a year as opposed to 52.

Yeah, I can't imagine what it must have been like for Japan to have to wait over a year for the Valentine fight to be over.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hope that gets localized even if it is a piece of poo poo.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

littleorv posted:

I hope that gets localized even if it is a piece of poo poo.

I'm sure it will be, but there's no way in hell I'm buying it after my experience with J Stars Victory Vs

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm sure it will be, but there's no way in hell I'm buying it after my experience with J Stars Victory Vs

Please support all Jojo's that are brought over to the west

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
One thing I've noticed, I dunno if it's an evolution of something I missed out on in Part 5 that was Araki's style developing (I think not though) is that Jolyne really comes across like she actually knows how to fight, in a way previous Jotaro and Josuke didn't. Jotaro mostly just stood by and let his stand do the punching, occasionally throwing a few ORAs using his actual hands occasionally, Josuke is the same (except with DORA). Jolyne, however, as well as being a lot more kick heavy, seems to stand in actual martial arts stances, and does a lot more of just outright hitting someone rather than having Stone Free do everything (though she lets it get in a few ORAs here and there). Jolyne gets her hands dirty (also turned inside out).

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

littleorv posted:

Please support all Jojo's that are brought over to the west
Please support Jojo through manga and anime releases, and not through bad video games. Thank you.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I will buy Eyes of Heaven and hell, I'll enjoy it

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Aurora posted:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You won't enjoy it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Yeah I'll just continue to buy Jojonium and the blurays. I already own 2 copies of ASB that I never play.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

You should give me one

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Prison Warden posted:

One thing I've noticed, I dunno if it's an evolution of something I missed out on in Part 5 that was Araki's style developing (I think not though) is that Jolyne really comes across like she actually knows how to fight, in a way previous Jotaro and Josuke didn't. Jotaro mostly just stood by and let his stand do the punching, occasionally throwing a few ORAs using his actual hands occasionally, Josuke is the same (except with DORA). Jolyne, however, as well as being a lot more kick heavy, seems to stand in actual martial arts stances, and does a lot more of just outright hitting someone rather than having Stone Free do everything (though she lets it get in a few ORAs here and there). Jolyne gets her hands dirty (also turned inside out).

Both Jotaro and Josuke tried to look like delinquents but were total softies on the inside. Jolyne is a punk for real.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Jolyne turned into a punk because she was in goddamn prison. Josuke and Jotaro both lead very different lives.

Jolyne is a stereotypical teenage girl before she goes to jail

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ASB is weird, dumb nonsense. It looks and sounds so good but most of the actual design decisions make very little sense.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Both Jotaro and Josuke tried to look like delinquents but were total softies on the inside. Jolyne is a punk for real.
She's as much of a daddy's girl as Jotaro is a momma's boy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
But on the other hand, her daddy is, y'know, loving Jotaro.

I guess that would make him Kakyoin :v:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

I already own 2 copies of ASB that I never play.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aurain posted:

You won't enjoy it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Aurora posted:

Jojo games are more fun if you have friends who don't watch the show, or haven't seen all of it, and you have to explain why the gently caress anything that is happening on the screen is happening.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If you guys want to play I Jojo game, I recommend giving the part 5 game a shot. It's a pretty simple 3D brawler with nothing but boss battles, and I was pleasantly surprised by it.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Aurain posted:

Translated ver.

When's B.T. getting announced?

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 2, 2015

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Aurora posted:

Jolyne is a stereotypical teenage girl before she goes to jail

She has a tattoo from being in a biker gang even before she goes to jail.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
I uh.

I guess Pucci wins?

I mean Emporio got out okay, I suppose.

:smith:

For real though, they still have Weather Report's disc, so I'm guessing Emporio will SOMEHOW use that to kill Pucci. If this weren't Jojo I'd half expect when Pucci dies all of the accelerated time will snap back , meaning that Jotaro, Hermes, Jolyne and Annasui are just in the middle of the sea bleeding out, misising arms or with their head cut in half. Man, I miss Foo Fighters.

Oh wait. Time is cyclical! It looks like whoever died is replaced by a new version of themselves but everyone who lived through the time acceleration still remembers everything? Stairway to Heaven is like a combination of Time Keeps on Slippin' and that other Futurama episode where Farnsworth invents a time bubble that can only go forward in time, so they have to circle back around the long way.

Oh... it's over.

Wow what a batshit insane ending!

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 3, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Jojo games are more fun if you have friends who don't watch the show, or haven't seen all of it, and you have to explain why the gently caress anything that is happening on the screen is happening.

This is true. Several of my friends got into Jojo because of ASB.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Erg posted:

She has a tattoo from being in a biker gang even before she goes to jail.

And she was already in jail or juvy or whatever before Stone Ocean because of said gang. If I remember right, she was on her way to getting her life back on track and going to college before she got framed. The only JoJo I can think of who's been in prison more often is maybe Joseph when he was being a lovely teen and getting into fights all the time, but I can't remember if I saw that on his profile or somewhere else. Something about him being arrested a ridiculous amount of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

BaDandy posted:

And she was already in jail or juvy or whatever before Stone Ocean because of said gang. If I remember right, she was on her way to getting her life back on track and going to college before she got framed. The only JoJo I can think of who's been in prison more often is maybe Joseph when he was being a lovely teen and getting into fights all the time, but I can't remember if I saw that on his profile or somewhere else. Something about him being arrested a ridiculous amount of times.

Jolyne got into trouble because she picked up a guys wallet after he dropped it, he started freaking out and phoned the police when Jolyne tried to explain herself it didn't take so she jumped in his car to escape and immediately crashed it.