Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I don't think they give you any outside of roulettes.

Bingo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

sword_man.gif posted:

and if you're paired with another ast you get to be sects buddies

i'm upset i missed this post a few pages back, because it would've been great for a 'friends with benefics' joke.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Yes.

Luckily, Aurum Vale apparently gives more exp than Dusk Vigil does. :effort:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Minrad posted:

Yes.

Luckily, Aurum Vale apparently gives more exp than Dusk Vigil does. :effort:

When did this

Become hotter than this

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

So, :siren: The very end of Main scenario quest spoilers

Not having read the entirety of the thread including spoilers, am I the only one who found Thordan's last words and point of view of the player character rather ominous? The PC is kind of shown as a shadow there. Is there any speculation who the WoL really is, why is Hydaelyn (if it even is Hydaelyn) "blessing" the PC? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the cinematic almost hints to me that we're not so "good" as we're led to believe. (Insert crazy speculation about Hydaelyn trying to curb PC's original mission statement here - apparently this is a plot in a FF game? I haven't really played any apart from XIV).

Also, have there been any scenes of WoL or anyone redeeming a central antagonist? Could be rather cathartic having a proper antagonist - with decent motivations "seeing the light literally/figuratively" and admit they're wrong. I'm rather surprised I can't think of any instances of this apart from the Crystal Brave recruitment which was kinda minor.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

People are probably reading into the generic AF WAR we saw on the moon far too much.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

eh, if i was someone trying to gently caress with me, I'd think I was pretty loving terrifying too

That scene must be hilarious if you're a lalafell or something

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dessel posted:

So, :siren: The very end of Main scenario quest spoilers

Not having read the entirety of the thread including spoilers, am I the only one who found Thordan's last words and point of view of the player character rather ominous? The PC is kind of shown as a shadow there. Is there any speculation who the WoL really is, why is Hydaelyn (if it even is Hydaelyn) "blessing" the PC? Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the cinematic almost hints to me that we're not so "good" as we're led to believe. (Insert crazy speculation about Hydaelyn trying to curb PC's original mission statement here - apparently this is a plot in a FF game? I haven't really played any apart from XIV).

Also, have there been any scenes of WoL or anyone redeeming a central antagonist? Could be rather cathartic having a proper antagonist - with decent motivations "seeing the light literally/figuratively" and admit they're wrong. I'm rather surprised I can't think of any instances of this apart from the Crystal Brave recruitment which was kinda minor.

Well, you just completely wrecked his awesome master plan to take over the world and rule it as godking, and now he's dying. Not exactly rare for a dying person in fiction to slowly lose their vision and poo poo. In his view, of course you're evil because you just denied the world its chance of peace under his unyielding iron fist. Of course, this is maniacal god-king's POV. It can be taken more literally than that but I wouldn't take it as so ominous. There's not a ton of moral ambiguity on whether the PC is a force of good. You're basically a beacon of hope for all those without dark designs for the world.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Rei_ posted:

eh, if i was someone trying to gently caress with me, I'd think I was pretty loving terrifying too

That scene must be hilarious if you're a lalafell or something

It's the same model no matter who you are. It was mentioned a few pages back.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The trick will be Warrior of Darkness is a shapeshifter who will turn into you for the inevitable instance fight.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Minrad posted:

Man, I didn't even realize how dire the situation was in Northern Thanalan. I was 70k from leveling at 54, so I went to hang a few FATEs and jesus gently caress, even at 8 am on a weekday on Excalibur it's like being in a prime time boss FATE. Everything dies instantly, it's laggy and culled to gently caress, and I can't help but think how cool it would be to see all these dudes spread out in the new expansion zones instead.

What's the situation like on the JP side? Are they complaining about people doing NThan instead of ishgard FATEs? It doesn't even seem like a difficult fix, just make the EXP:HP ratios actually match or be higher than NThan.

On goblin, we barely have enough people to run Coathras fates. Don't have to worry about anyone lvling up with fates in Northern Thanalan.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

Well, you just completely wrecked his awesome master plan to take over the world and rule it as godking, and now he's dying. Not exactly rare for a dying person in fiction to slowly lose their vision and poo poo. In his view, of course you're evil because you just denied the world its chance of peace under his unyielding iron fist. Of course, this is maniacal god-king's POV. It can be taken more literally than that but I wouldn't take it as so ominous. There's not a ton of moral ambiguity on whether the PC is a force of good. You're basically a beacon of hope for all those without dark designs for the world.

We'll be finding out more soon enough. With Lahabrea dead or, at best, floating somewhere between a dragon's spleen and gizzard, Edlibus has started to take a more direct hand in things. And Ed is MUCH more interested in trying to get us on his side than Lahabrea was.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Is this game worth playing on PS3? I don't plan to get a PS4 anytime soon and it'll be a while before I build a gaming PC. I'm a bit wary of the time investment and monthly fee of a MMO but this does seem like the best one going. I'm tempted to run around as a falafel, but if I'm stuck with slowdown and long rear end loading times, it'll just be an exercise in frustration.

Class-wise, is the monk really a pain in the rear end due to positioning or is it more a matter of inconvenience for people who want to do other things while they game? I like the idea of the class and the animations and the idea of being a tiny man punching massive beasts in the toe. I could easily see it as a problem when soloing, which isn't really my preference anyway for MMOs, but it usually comes with the territory for DPS (I'm used to playing a healer).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

dromal phrenia posted:

Is this game worth playing on PS3? I don't plan to get a PS4 anytime soon and it'll be a while before I build a gaming PC. I'm a bit wary of the time investment and monthly fee of a MMO but this does seem like the best one going. I'm tempted to run around as a falafel, but if I'm stuck with slowdown and long rear end loading times, it'll just be an exercise in frustration.

The PS3 is serviceable and if you want to play pending getting a PS4 or PC, it's not unplayably terrible. You'll probably find yourself budgeting for an upgrade sooner rather than later though. If you happen to have an SSD you can use, it will curb the worst of it, which is mostly loading time between zones.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dromal phrenia posted:

Class-wise, is the monk really a pain in the rear end due to positioning or is it more a matter of inconvenience for people who want to do other things while they game? I like the idea of the class and the animations and the idea of being a tiny man punching massive beasts in the toe. I could easily see it as a problem when soloing, which isn't really my preference anyway for MMOs, but it usually comes with the territory for DPS (I'm used to playing a healer).

From what I remember, the PS3 runs between 20-30 fps usually and load times are typical of console games. It has been like a year and a half since I tried it, though, so my memory is probably wrong.

Positioning is not normally difficult. IIRC, monks have a buff they want to keep up at all times and I *think* you need to strike from the flank with a certain move in order to activate it. Regardless, there is no character collision so moving around/through a monster to get to where you need to go is easy.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game on the ps3 also plays like there is a fog weather effect happening 100% of the time.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

I really like the law gear set, but I haven't looked at any of the crafted gear sets yet so I don't know if I will be using this as glamour or not

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

The trick will be Warrior of Darkness is a shapeshifter who will turn into you for the inevitable instance fight.

This is a really funny post for reasons I don't think you understand :v:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

It's unexpected because the Sylphs already did it.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Mazed posted:

Every single person in the raid's screen just cuts to

More like

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

dromal phrenia posted:

Monk is the most fidgety class, but positioning is not as hard as it sounds. Basically you just press left or right every 3 moves or so. It only becomes a pain in the rear end in fights with lots of movement, or if your tank is annoying. You don't need to hit the positionals to maintain your buff, but you miss out on bonus potency which is pretty important to your overall dps. Soloing takes a bit longer since it's almost impossible to get your positionals but it's never a showstopper. Solo content in this game is designed to be beatable by people pressing 1 button every 10 seconds.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

dromal phrenia posted:

Monks are daunting at first but once you get the muscle memory and rhythm down they're the easiest melee dps to play because there's no RNG with positionals (Dragoon) and you don't have to play in the same room as the servers to avoid getting screwed by lag (Ninja). I mean you need to do positional more than Dragoons do but it's always the same order and you can drop Greased Lightning stacks due to lag but it still doesn't happen as much as Ninjas getting messed up because of it.

Sarrisan posted:

Solo content in this game is designed to be beatable by people pressing 1 button every 10 seconds.

Person who did not do HW MSQ as WHM.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Actually I did... and I'll give you that, HW made that poo poo interesting. There was one near the latter half I wiped about 5 times.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
The bots haven't figured out how to do hw yet that's the real reason nthan is so popular.

Also. Day 13 and still no sign of rmt spam on excalibur. Not sure if I should relax or he scared.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Eej posted:

Monks are daunting at first but once you get the muscle memory and rhythm down they're the easiest melee dps to play because there's no RNG with positionals (Dragoon) and you don't have to play in the same room as the servers to avoid getting screwed by lag (Ninja). I mean you need to do positional more than Dragoons do but it's always the same order and you can drop Greased Lightning stacks due to lag but it still doesn't happen as much as Ninjas getting messed up because of it.

I've actually felt that even as a BLM, the solo MSQ stuff is far more challenging than the stuff in ARR. The NPCs are far less generous with their cures, which has required me to actually make use of my defensive skills, and prioritize targets correctly. It's not impossible by any stretch of the imagination, but i'd certainly say it's harder, even for proper DPS classes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

Day 13 and still no sign of rmt spam on excalibur. Not sure if I should relax or he scared.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Holyshoot posted:

The bots haven't figured out how to do hw yet that's the real reason nthan is so popular.

Also. Day 13 and still no sign of rmt spam on excalibur. Not sure if I should relax or he scared.

They already can do HW. How many of those people in NT are actually people?

At least I haven't gotten any "hi bro" tells in the past few days.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 2, 2015

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

dromal phrenia posted:

What other people said, I basically bought this game just for Monk.

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals, then it's just hit the key/button for where you are. It can be annoying if your tank is a jerk and running circles around mobs for no reason but for the most part it's a non issue.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

year199X posted:

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals

:catstare:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

year199X posted:

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals, then it's just hit the key/button for where you are. It can be annoying if your tank is a jerk and running circles around mobs for no reason but for the most part it's a non issue.
Please don't macro GCD abilities.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Why not? It's worked pretty well for me. Just don't mash the same key 20 times or you'll just do the first move in the rotation.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

year199X posted:

:frogout::gitgud:

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 2, 2015

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
phone posting but it's because macros don't spam abilities while the gcd is ticking so you end up losing like .5 seconds on gcd abilities or something

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Incoming indignant rage from lazy mmo players over the "elite raiders" telling them how to play, because helpful advice like "macroing your GCD abilities will cause you to hemorrhage DPS/HPS, please just learn how to press more than 2 buttons" is discriminating against casuals.

:suicide:

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

year199X posted:

Holy poo poo never ever do this

It's not that many buttons at all. Six positionals in the main rotation. Six buttons. Holy gently caress.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

year199X posted:

:chanpop:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I remember there was a point where the RMT bots just stopped sending tells and would just sit at an aether plaza using say to tell about their gil you could buy. But yeah, not a single one since I started HW.

Does SE actually read and enforce cheating reports? I was out farming crystals in La Noesca and I saw two people in the same guild, one running back and forth between mining nodes, and another that was stuck below a small chasm trying to jump over it, but clearly too dumb to go around. They were in the same FC, so I reported them after neither of them responded to my tells so they were most likely bots. No idea if they get around to checking that.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

year199X posted:

please dont do this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I DPS'd Amdapour Keep at 50 and it didn't actually give me any exp outside of fulfilling my challenge log for that day, so I dunno how exactly the HM dungeons work for exp. I don't think they give you any outside of roulettes.

Well, that's regrettable. I don't have the roulette unlocked yet. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

year199X posted:

Someone posted this earlier

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/199753-Theres-not-enough-macro-space-to-play-Ninja.

Please don't be this person :dogbutton:

• Locked thread