Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

PT6A posted:

It may work for a house, since you can open windows on more than one side to get airflow through the house,

It doesn't even do this. If the air temperature outside is hotter than you'd want the inside to be, you'll never cool your house with airflow, not even with hurricane force winds blowing through. The high temperature on Monday was 27C. Go ahead, open a window. Great, now the INSIDE of your house is also 27C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress who doesn't get taught by the time they're old enough to open a window that the way you keep a house cool in Canada is to open all the windows in the evening and button everything back up right after breakfast?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

EvilJoven posted:

What the gently caress who doesn't get taught by the time they're old enough to open a window that the way you keep a house cool in Canada is to open all the windows in the evening and button everything back up right after breakfast?

This works a lot better when the average high is closer to 28 C than 35 C.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ductonius posted:

It doesn't even do this. If the air temperature outside is hotter than you'd want the inside to be, you'll never cool your house with airflow, not even with hurricane force winds blowing through. The high temperature on Monday was 27C. Go ahead, open a window. Great, now the INSIDE of your house is also 27C.

Obviously, but in my condo it's not even possible to get cooler air in during the night/morning.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Buy a condo on the roof of a building and you can open the deck and front door (assuming the front door opens to outside) and get air flow through.

(This is what I have. It is great.)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Shofixti posted:

There's a lot of talk here about how lovely things are (or will be) and how dumb people are. So what should a young, working university grad be doing these days? I read this thread and think "I guess I'll keep renting and save up a larger downpayment until the market cools" but, again, I feel I don't have enough knowledge to know and I'm sure I'm missing something.

Save money, read up on which type of investments make sense for which stage of your life, and keep an eye on the housing market in your area. Read about municipal affairs and understand how your local neighbourhoods are going to develop over time. Even in a crash scenario, certain areas are going to hold their value better than others.

Be an optimist. Being a bear might give you the satisfaction of being right when the crash comes, but cautious and savvy bulls are probably going to come out on top over the long term.

(This is my longabout way of saying go ahead and buy a place if you think it makes sense)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

vis a vis Vancouver and no AC it's worth noting that for 99% of the year it's very cold at night even during the summer, so opening the window at night genuinely is a good way to cool your place.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

vis a vis Vancouver and no AC it's worth noting that for 99% of the year it's very cold at night even during the summer, so opening the window at night genuinely is a good way to cool your place.

It goes down to 11 or 12 at night here, too. There's still the issue of getting and keeping the cool air in the apartment, which is difficult to impossible in a building with positive pressure. I have the balcony door open right now with a big fan in front trying to suck as much cold air in as possible, as well as all other windows in the apartment open. I had a similar configuration last night. It was still 26 degrees when I woke up.

I'm not sure what else I can or should be doing, other than not living in a south-facing condo with lovely airflow. It's not like I've never considered opening the loving window, you know.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What sort of pleb doesn't have a corner unit to get a sick cool cross breeze going through?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm in an East facing unit on the 18th floor, and it's so well insulated thanks to LEED that I can't get it under 28 inside with A/C running constantly. If I turn off the A/C it'll heat up to 33. :suicide:

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
Seriously you are trying to argue that you need air conditioning in Canada?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Why not? It's going to be 30c for three months in Vancouver, it would be nice to be comfortable during that time.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Why not? It's going to be 30c for three months in Vancouver, it would be nice to be comfortable during that time.

How the hell can it get so hot there? Is this an abnormally warm summer?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

OhYeah posted:

How the hell can it get so hot there? Is this an abnormally warm summer?

It's probably the hottest on record, but Vancouver has been steadily getting hotter for the last decade or so. And I mean, it'll be 30c on average. Lots of places hit 40c the other day, and shattered something like 70+ records.

Global Warming is mounting Vancouver, no lube.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=11180738

quote:

Pete McMartin: If Australia’s bubble bursts, is Vancouver’s far behind?

A pair of economists predict Australia’s housing market will soon burst. Is Vancouver to follow?
A+
BY PETE MCMARTIN, VANCOUVER SUN COLUMNIST JULY 1, 2015
Philip Soos is 30, an economist and, more significantly, a renter. He’s in no hurry to buy.

Soos lives in Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne’s housing prices have experienced the same alarming rise in value that Vancouver’s have, and, as in Vancouver, many in the public blame Chinese offshore buyers as the main cause.

Soos is not among them. As the co-author of a recently published 810-page doorstop entitled Bubble Economics: Australian Land Speculation 1830-2013, which I have not read, because there are limits to what I am willing to do for this job, Soos and his co-author Paul Egan blame two decades of rampant domestic speculation as the reason for the rise in residential prices.

The Oz obsession with real estate speculation was a common theme among the several Aussie journalists and economists I talked to during the last couple of weeks. Australians, they all said, see a better chance at a big payoff in housing than in more traditional equities. They don’t put their stock in stock. They put it in property.

Last month, Soos told my colleague at The Globe and Mail, Frances Bula, much the same thing (and my thanks to Frances for Soos’ contact information). But since then, Soos enlarged upon his thesis. In a co-authored submission made last week to Australia’s ongoing parliamentary inquiry into housing, he and economist Lindsay David made a prediction of which Metro Vancouverites might take note, since they are caught in the same dynamics as those that afflict the Australian housing market.

“Housing prices across all capital cities,” they wrote, “remain grossly inflated relative to rents, income, inflation and GDP. What event or set of events triggers the beginning of the end of the housing bubble is not yet known.”

But those unknowns aside:

“A bloodbath in the housing market, however, appears a near certainty due to the magnitude of falls required for housing prices to again reflect economic fundamentals. The largest residential land market bubble on record is truly incomparable and dwarfs earlier speculative episodes in the commercial and industrial land market.”

Australians, Soos said in a phone interview, have the third highest household debt to GDP in the world, after Denmark and Switzerland. Canada, he said, is not far behind.

“What’s been driving the bubble is the taking on of unaffordable mortgage debt. We’re so over-debted, it can’t continue on. The debt burden will become so onerous and so toxic that sooner or later the whole thing will just collapse.”

Soos believes the Australian government won’t do anything to correct the situation. Quite the opposite, he said. A raft of generous tax writeoffs and low mortgage rates have only encouraged and sustained the real estate rush, he said.

“The government’s not going to do anything because it’s so deeply in the pockets of the real estate industry and developers.”

Predictions of Vancouver’s bubble bursting have come and gone for two decades now, and the real estate market has blithely ignored them.

But similarities to Australian’s deepening debt position have emerged here. A Royal Bank of Canada report early this year found that Canadians had taken on new record levels of mortgage debt in 2014, and that our combined household debt of $1.82 trillion had surpassed the country’s GDP of $1.65 trillion by last year’s end. And here’s a statistic that’s timely, given the news out of Athens: Between 2007-2014, Canada’s household debt-to-income ratio rose more than any other country except Greece.

Soos was asked what effect Chinese offshore investors might have on a bubble. A recent Credit Suisse study, which I quoted in an earlier column, predicted that $60 billion from Chinese offshore investors and recent Chinese landed immigrants will flow into the Australian residential real estate market. Couldn’t that sustain the market?

Soos agreed, yes, it could, but only for a time.

“Chinese investors may have pushed out the day of reckoning ... but the bubble definitely has to burst.”

There are those who disagree with Soos, including, no surprise this, the Australian government. His is a minority position. Soos takes it happily.

“There are 15,000 economists in the U.S., and you know how many predicted the financial crisis of 2007-2008? Fifteen. That’s 0.1 per cent. You know how many Irish economists predicted the economic collapse there? Three.”

Soos predicts the bloodbath to arrive as soon as 2017, though the influx of offshore money might delay that date.

In the meantime — and Metro Vancouverites can take away whatever lesson from this they wish — he pays his rent and socks away the rest. In time, he sees prices falling to the point he’ll be able to buy.

pmcmartin@vancouversun.com

© Copyright (c) Vancouver Sun columnist
Email this article
A+

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I think the real story here is this report came from the vancouver sun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quite a few of my friends in lovely Vancouver apartments bought their own little window AC units. It was that or not sleep a few months of the year (or more). It doesn't have to be that hot for an older building, specially if you're up in an attic or top floor, to get ridiculously hot. It could have been a 25 day but at 11pm when you're trying to go to bed it's 26 in your apartment despite being 19 outside and all you have are 3 tiny double-hung windows to open, 1 of which is painted shut, and the building's boiler is on for some reason.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Cultural Imperial posted:

I think the real story here is this report came from the vancouver sun.

Isn't that the one that's not part of the Sun Media awful chain of newspapers? Or am I thinking of something else.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Here's an eastern European trick the A/C manufacturers don't want you to know about. Take a cold shower and go to sleep immediately to sleep to beat the heat. Alternatively buy a house proper, but Vancouver.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

triplexpac posted:

Isn't that the one that's not part of the Sun Media awful chain of newspapers? Or am I thinking of something else.

No the sun is loving garbage.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

AC is kind of necessary if you're in a unit with poor circulation like mine. Even then I've only got a window in my bedroom to use for AC so you've got to position the unit straight at the ceiling fan to get the air to circulate to the rest of the condo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Cultural Imperial posted:

No the sun is loving garbage.

I can't speak to the quality of the paper, but it's not the Sun that has sexy lady photos right?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

jm20 posted:

Here's an eastern European trick the A/C manufacturers don't want you to know about. Take a cold shower and go to sleep immediately to sleep to beat the heat. Alternatively buy a house proper, but Vancouver.

So what happens when its 3am and its still 28*+ in my apartment?

*28 is as high as my thermostat goes and its buried there from March through October. In Calgary where it usually drops off to mid teens at night.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You should be sleeping with a light sheet in your underwear at 3am. If you are again too hot, have a 2 minute cool shower and repeat.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Either that, or buildings should install a proper HVAC system with air conditioning because it's loving 2015.

That's an option too (honestly, I'd jump at the opportunity to pay a "special assessment" to install proper air conditioning, I'd be getting the money back when I sell anyway). Another reason why it sucks when there are too many owners simply renting their units out -- they have every motivation to be cheap assholes, and no motivation to improve the quality of life in the building.

EDIT: You sleep in underwear? Why?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

Either that, or buildings should install a proper HVAC system with air conditioning because it's loving 2015.

That's an option too (honestly, I'd jump at the opportunity to pay a "special assessment" to install proper air conditioning, I'd be getting the money back when I sell anyway). Another reason why it sucks when there are too many owners simply renting their units out -- they have every motivation to be cheap assholes, and no motivation to improve the quality of life in the building.

lmao if you dont have a giant man-sized storage bin filled with salty icewater ineffectually wafting cool air over you with a desk fan

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I keep my Tommie coppers on at max tightness

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

lmao if you dont have a giant man-sized storage bin filled with salty icewater ineffectually wafting cool air over you with a desk fan

...I actually did buy an "evaporative cooler" last year, yes.

It's minimally exceptional.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Franks Happy Place posted:

AC is building code mandatory in Richmond for large strata buildings, as a noise abatement strategy (ie, people can leave their windows shut, meaning you have fewer noise complaints).

I thought that had more to do with 747s flying 50 feet overhead. They have a very strict building height limit for the same reason.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Reverse Centaur posted:

I thought that had more to do with 747s flying 50 feet overhead. They have a very strict building height limit for the same reason.

Airplanes are noise. They are covered under "a noise abatement strategy".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

triplexpac posted:

I can't speak to the quality of the paper, but it's not the Sun that has sexy lady photos right?

Not the Vancouver Sun, its owned by the National Post not Sun Media.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

AC is building code mandatory in Richmond for large strata buildings, as a noise abatement strategy (ie, people can leave their windows shut, meaning you have fewer noise complaints).

since when? i lived in a building built in 2012 in richmond and definitely did not have ac

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crashing Asian LNG prices could deliver a body blow to Christy Clark's economic fantasy
http://www.straight.com/news/479606/crashing-asian-lng-prices-could-deliver-body-blow-christy-clarks-economic-fantasy

We all saw this coming, but man oh man are the BC Liberals terrible at business. How the hell does this "right wing governments are good for the economy" meme still get kept alive? Why yes, lets invest in a low-return market that's over-saturated with product priced lower than we can produce. That's runnin' government like a business! Treatin' finances like a household.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Airplanes are noise. They are covered under "a noise abatement strategy".

How you worded it was misleading. And I think you're wrong about mandatory ac too.

p.s. and kassian lol

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bilirubin posted:

Not the Vancouver Sun, its owned by the National Post not Sun Media.

Same company now. I wonder what all the Sun readers are going to do when Post Media closes down the Sun Chain (they already closed QMI)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PT6A posted:

"Proper" air conditioning requires central air though, and it's physically impossible to install that after the fact, and you almost never see that in condos anyways. The only real aftermarket solution is the the window units, or the portable units you run a hose out a window. Of course, most condos don't want those either, because god-forbid people be comfortable in their own homes, people on the street might see an air conditioner or hose in a window and property values would be destroyed!!!

No to mention I find Vancouverites older than about 50 have some sort of psychological block against air-conditioning. It's like they can't accept that even though this is Canada, it's gets gently caress off hot here now. So they sit sweltering in their homes, sweat sheeting off of them, but refusing to install A/C because "..... this.... this is Canada, we can't get A/C, don't be silly."

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 2, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"Proper" air conditioning requires central air though, and it's physically impossible to install that after the fact, and you almost never see that in condos anyways. The only real aftermarket solution is the the window units, or the portable units you run a hose out a window. Of course, most condos don't want those either, because god-forbid people be comfortable in their own homes, people on the street might see an air conditioner or hose in a window and property values would be destroyed!!!

No to mention I find Vancouverites older than about 50 have some sort of psychological block against air-conditioning. It's like they can't accept that even though this is Canada, it's gets gently caress off hot here now. So they sit sweltering in their homes, sweat sheeting off of them, but refusing to install A/C because "..... this.... this is Canada, we can't get A/C, don't be silly."

It's not impossible to retrofit, just expensive. I talked to the building manager, and the study was done and then rejected as being too expensive by the board. I bet if we had our AGM in July or August instead of early May, people would be more amenable to it.

EDIT: Regarding portable A/Cs: I have one, but the adapter kit doesn't fit onto my balcony door properly (a gust of wind will push it out, and there's constant leakage of the hot exhaust air back in), and the window in my bedroom swings out horizontally, and thus cannot admit the venting hose. If I had a simple window that just slid open and closed, I'd be on that like stink on an ape's rear end.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 3, 2015

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Huh, so a cousin who just two weeks ago told me that there was no way he could afford a house, and that we shouldn't compare our lives to our baby boomer parents, is now updating Facebook that he and his wife are looking to buy.

I wonder what bank decided to give them a mortgage, the guy has no career path whatsoever. I guess his wife makes more than I thought she did.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, I held off on bringing my portable A/C unit to my new place for a while now. The building doesn't allow them, but after the crazy high-temps this year, and the fact that virtually every window in my side of the building has one installed at this point, I just said gently caress it and picked it up from my parents place.

It's nice to be able to sit here, dressed in regular clothes, with my computer and TV on throwing out heat, and have cool air blasting me at all times. I almost feel human again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I almost feel human again.

Whoa, whoa, let's not get carried away. You are Canadian.