Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

PT6A posted:

On the other hand, you could've just moved right like you were supposed to before he came up on you, because "oh I have to change lanes to overtake a truck every few minutes" is not a huge burden.

Traffic just works so much better when everyone moves right whenever possible.

Funny thing is I was about to move over until he started to flash his lights repeadetly and tailgate me. I could have, should have, and almost did move over until he started acting like a dick. Part of being on the road is learning how to cooperate with other drivers, that means not tailgating and cutting off people for not bowing to your every desire.

Maybe I didn't make the best decision but I don't want to reward poor behavior, so I acted like I was as ignorant as the left lane campers you run into every hundred feet on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

I was approaching a semi tailgating a another truck and signalling to pass. The semi was a long distance ahead of me, and the left lane was completely empty. It took a couple minutes for me to get close to the truck, the lane was available, he was signalling, he had his chance to switch lanes without interfering. Instead the dipshit in the semi swerved in front of me at the last moment, braked hard, and then flipped me off after he got back in the right lane.

I'm starting to wonder what kind of people trucking/delivery companies are hiring now - literally 2 days ago I'm merging on the interstate, from the on ramp, with barely any traffic around. Interstate is flowing smooth, it's a weekend, no major traffic and the only other vehicle I see in the right most (inside) lane I'm merging into is a semi. He's pretty far back from the on ramp so I hit the gas, get up to about 65, and see that the semi started speeding up too. He had 2 full, open lanes to his left he could have moved into, but instead the rear end in a top hat decides it'll be a fun day to race or run a mid-size car off the loving interstate for no reason. Dude already got way too close to me as it was by doing that, so I just gunned it to 80, merged over a couple lanes and then slowed down and let the jackass go on his way. That was the first (and hopefully) only time I'll have to deal with that, but seriously?

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 29, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

I'm starting to wonder what kind of people trucking/delivery companies are hiring now

They earn minimum wage pay, work 60hr+ weeks, live in a box and deal with traffic all day. The only requirement to get the job is to be 21 with a relatively clean background, its no surprise they get the bottom of the barrel.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Pedestrians with phones. Bane of my life.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
There's this one road on my commute with a fairly sharp blind bend on it, and it seems like there's been someone doing something stupid there every morning lately. Last week I almost ran over a couple jaywalkers who walked right out in front of traffic on the other side of the bend; they came from the center median and there was a car ahead of me to my left that blocked my view, so I didn't even see them until they were in the middle of my lane about thirty feet away. Had to hit the brakes so hard that the ABS kicked in. Next day I came around that bend to find an SUV parked in the right lane picking up some dudes from the sidewalk (because apparently walking a hundred feet down the road to the nearby parking lot would have been too much effort). This morning it was one of those beat-up gas cylinder trucks who suddenly stopped in the middle of the right lane just past the bend where the median ends and then made a Russian U-turn (without signalling, naturally). :cripes:

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

On the way home from the gym I'm coming up a slip road to join a more or less empty dual carriage way, and theres a person in the lane next to me who decides not to move over to let me on. Which is fair enough, they have right of way and all that, so I bleed a bit of speed to join the road behind them.

Except they slow down to more or less my speed and actually block my entry onto the road. I slow down more, and they slow down more. Eventually I ended up going down to about 15mph as I ran out of slip road while they trundled past flashing their lights before I gunned it to get back up to speed as soon as I was on that carriageway. loving hell if you want to be nice and let me on, move over to the other empty lane, don't loving slow down to let me on creating an incredibly dangerous situation where I cannot merge onto the road because your loving shitbox is in the way matching my speed. You have right of way, just keep at the speed you was doing and I will adjust mine to fit into a gap.

Cunts.

Then further down the road there was a lorry in the inside lane doing 56mph and a Prius overtaking it...at 59mph. This is a 70mph dual carriageway.

Cunts.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The construction workers you share a quarry with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf9nBHZEzxg

Stupid, but you gotta admire their ability to manipulate the controls like that.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The post office I go to has three speed bumps. Today, as I'm leaving it, I get behind a Ford Excursion that would approach the speed bump, stop, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease up over the bump, pull forward until the back wheels touched the bump, stop, eeeeeeeeeeeeeease up over the bump and drive forward to the next one. And then the third one.

Seriously? Can you even feel the loving bump in that tank?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mister Kingdom posted:

The post office I go to has three speed bumps. Today, as I'm leaving it, I get behind a Ford Excursion that would approach the speed bump, stop, eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease up over the bump, pull forward until the back wheels touched the bump, stop, eeeeeeeeeeeeeease up over the bump and drive forward to the next one. And then the third one.

Seriously? Can you even feel the loving bump in that tank?

It's always SUVs that crawl over speed bumps like that. I don't understand. The ride in SUVs is harder than it should be considering how shittily they handle, but they're still presumably designed to go over bumps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's always SUVs that crawl over speed bumps like that. I don't understand. The ride in SUVs is harder than it should be considering how shittily they handle, but they're still presumably designed to go over bumps.

They're pretty fantastic when you have solid axles, no swaybars, and they're at an angle like in front of my local grocer. Minimal disruption.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I took a taxi again. Tonight, the taxi driver was decent*, but we encountered a person going the wrong way down a one-way street (one of the most major ones in the city no less).

How do you gently caress this poo poo up? I could drive loaded as gently caress, and still not gently caress that up.

* Our downtown is laid out with numbered streets and avenues exclusively. Any downtown address will unambiguously determine the street, avenue and side of the road of the destination, without knowing anything else. If you need the GPS to figure out a route, how in the name of gently caress did you obtain a taxi license? My limo driver friend said there's a reasonably rigorous test involved, but it seems like no one's actually passed it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Shout out to the dude in the huge white van that pulled out on me on a roundabout, looked right at me and then jumped on the brakes so I could swerve drastically and avoid him. Today would've been a bad day to have an accident so thank you for noticing me eventually, try looking earlier though, particularly when y'know, you should be.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Depends. Hitting speed humps square-on in something with live axles and heavy leaf springs is not fun.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Depends. Hitting speed humps square-on in something with live axles and heavy leaf springs is not fun.
The true key is to not hit them under braking. If you're already compressing the suspension, speed bumps suck. If you're not, it's not a huge deal.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I'm the person you share the road with. :(

I don't drive an SUV, but I always crawl over speed bumps now after encountering some rear end in a top hat ones that were so high that I bottomed out on them at low speed in my stock ride height car. gently caress speed bumps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I take speed bumps kinda quick in my GTI. My dad made a comment on how he liked my car because it just took the bump and settled down while his (a Forester) rocked a bit. I thought that was weird to say as my car is harsh going over bumps while his is relatively soft, but I guess the rocking bothered him more. :shrug:

Uthor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 1, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
The trick is to have enough speed for the suspension to travel the length of the speed bump before it decompresses again (lifting the car). My m-sport e39 handles speed bumps like a champ at about 25 - 30 kmph, but if you slow down for them it becomes much harsher since the shocks lift the car up halfway over the bump, only to dump it again at the end. At least this is my working theory of why the bumps are much less sever at higher speeds.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah you kinda need to get over the bump before the suspension starts to rebound otherwise you're driving up it and the suspension is extending. We have these lovely plastic speed bumps at work which are about 8" tall and if you hit them at a low speed about 5mph they buck you about the place, hit them about 15mph and you sail over them with minimum fuss.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Don't most shock absorbers also have valving designed to make them reduce resistance on quick jolts? There's probably a point where it's a lot worse at lower speeds because of that, where the hit is hard but not hard enough to trigger the valve in the shocks.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
What I hate more than speedbumps are the assholes who make them necessary.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Speed bumps are hilarious. Busybody geriatrics lobby their local council to have them put in, and then fall down the stairs and get to take an ambulance ride out of their neighborhood right over those same bumps.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

revmoo posted:

Speed bumps are hilarious. Busybody geriatrics lobby their local council to have them put in, and then fall down the stairs and get to take an ambulance ride out of their neighborhood right over those same bumps.

Way back someone mentioned a story about how neighbors lobbied the city to have speed bumps put in after a child got run over. A goon pointed out how that must be a great comfort to the parents, "Oh god, here's where our son was run over" *whump whump*

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

Way back someone mentioned a story about how neighbors lobbied the city to have speed bumps put in after a child got run over. A goon pointed out how that must be a great comfort to the parents, "Oh god, here's where our son was run over" *whump whump*

I'm pretty sure that was a joke that Daniel Tosh did in his stand-up routine.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

dee eight posted:

What I hate more than speedbumps are the assholes who make them necessary.

I hate that there's such a variation in them - some are the big, wide, smooth speed bumps that get put into neighborhoods. Others are way too high/narrow and a pain to get over without feeling like your car's gonna get hosed. Some places have an "in between" that's a shorter bump but designed like the neighborhood ones to travel over smoothly. If they're a requirement, at least put some standardization in place for them.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

mattfl posted:

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

mattfl posted:

Possible, I wasn't sure where I heard it but that would make sense. I just assumed it was the forums.

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 1, 2015

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I take street speed bumps at 20-25 mph in my Corolla with no issues. That one time I drove over one going 35 mph in a Smart car though :stonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

65kph on my dual-sport motorcycle :getin:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The only "good" speedhumps I've encountered were in Japan, where they had a sereis of 3 shallow humps in sequence - they unsettle the car so you don't feel like gong fast over them, but don't batter you.

Krakkles posted:

The true key is to not hit them under braking. If you're already compressing the suspension, speed bumps suck. If you're not, it's not a huge deal.
Ohnonono, believe me, I'm well familiar with weight-shifting over speed humps in a car or something, This is different. The only thing to save your spine it to take them relatively slowly at an angle. Or, of course, not drive an unladen 1-ton payload truck.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

I hate that there's such a variation in them - some are the big, wide, smooth speed bumps that get put into neighborhoods. Others are way too high/narrow and a pain to get over without feeling like your car's gonna get hosed. Some places have an "in between" that's a shorter bump but designed like the neighborhood ones to travel over smoothly. If they're a requirement, at least put some standardization in place for them.

Speed hump vs speed bump, supposedly humps are less hard on cars. I honestly don't care much about either one so long as they are visible. My mother in laws apartment chose not to paint their speed bumps yellow so they are camouflaged and completely invisible, it sucks.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 2, 2015

insta
Jan 28, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

65kph on my dual-sport motorcycle :getin:

I take them about that fast on my GSXR. Getting your rear end off the seat and taking most of the bumps with your flexed leg muscles works wonders. Turns out humans are springy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Speed humps are fun in a lifted offroad truck at about 40mph. You can always tell if you got air because the revs spike a little bit right after the steering gets light.

This might be why my harbor freight 3 ton hydraulic jack is missing the upper half of the handle. It was there when I put it in the truck bed in the morning and it wasn't there when I got where I was going. :iiam:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Speedhumps are just an excuse for poor road design. So many bumfuck villages here put speedhumps on the through road.
And it's not like you can take the fuckers at anything near the posted speed limit. Sure it may be a 60 zoned road, but you'd better slow down to 25 or break a McPherson strut.

Then again they have hosed up ways here. Want to decrease the speed limit on a stretch of motorway? Rip the barrier out of the central median. That takes it down from 130 to 100, because it is now unsafe to allow higher speeds as there is no barrier to prevent head on collisions anymore.
If you then turn the hard shoulder into a bus lane, the speed limit goes down to 80, as broken down vehicles can no longer get out of traffic and wait on the hard shoulder.

And all that while the stretch of road still looks like a motorway, with slip roads, no level crossings and all that.

Purposely remove safety features to impose a lower speed limit, which is then enforced by average speed cameras, the revenue of which flows directly into the city coffers.

These are the politicians I share a road with...

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Today i shared the road with myself, and my dads car.

The breaks on my dads 2009 Renault Laguna have been squeeking for a while, we know it's the front left break pad that is worn out and needs replacing, but ordering the parts (we're replacing the rotors as well since they looked worn when we had the wheel off last time) has taken some time. The parts are supposed to arrive this weekend hopefully and everything would have been fine. But! Today we were going to the store to buy dinner (tacos) as you do, and i breaked behind someone who takes stopping at stop signs very seriously, and the car acts like i drove into a brick wall. The car cannot go forwards anymore and i'm in the middle of an intersection so time to evaluate the options. Turns out the only thing i could do was reverse 300 meters to the last intersection, against traffic, and turn off there. So we do that and when i get there the breaks lock in reverse too, so now the car will not move at all. We get out, take the wheel off and find that the break pad has been ground so thin it's just fallen out of the socket and gotten jammed in the rotor, seizing the breaks. we take the wheel bolt tightener (the only tool we have) and hammer it out, so now the wheel will spin again, but we can't use the breaks. So we put the wheel back on and drove home with no breaks.

You learn quickly to time intersections and using engine breaking. We're lucky to live in a small town with small slow roads or this would have been much more expensive since we probably would have had to tow it.

Ended up not getting any dinner.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

BRAKE. THE CORRECT WORD IS BRAKE. :tizzy:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpUYjpKg9KY

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 2, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

Well the brake did break when i broke, uh braked, so i'm claiming at least 50% correct.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Saw a parked Prius with completely bald tires at Publix. I left them a note pointing the fact out in hopes that they just don't ever look at them as opposed to willful stupidity. Someone is in for a world of hurt next time it rains, all I can do is hope it's only the driver.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

sleepy.eyes posted:

Saw a parked Prius with completely bald tires at Publix. I left them a note pointing the fact out in hopes that they just don't ever look at them as opposed to willful stupidity. Someone is in for a world of hurt next time it rains, all I can do is hope it's only the driver.

I see cars with bald tires all the time here. To make it even more fun is we get, on average, fifty inches of rain a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sleepy.eyes posted:

Maybe it's because I live in the desert and thus only drive in the rain rarely, but I've had a lot of tires get really dicey in the rain while they still have in the range of 2-4/32 tread on them. I can't comprehend how someone who probably sees more rain than I do, would drive on bald tires in it.