Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

year199X posted:

What other people said, I basically bought this game just for Monk.

Monk is super enjoyable with the simple creation of two macros, one for all of your rear positionals and one for your flank positionals, then it's just hit the key/button for where you are. It can be annoying if your tank is a jerk and running circles around mobs for no reason but for the most part it's a non issue.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

year199X posted:

Why not? It's worked pretty well for me. Just don't mash the same key 20 times or you'll just do the first move in the rotation.

With GCD abilities, you can queue up the action so that it fires the instant it becomes available. Macros don't allow you to do this because they're executed client-side. The result is that you lose a fraction of a second between each GCD, and that adds up over a long fight. Bottom line: if you actually care about your DPS, don't use macros.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

phone posting but it's because macros don't spam abilities while the gcd is ticking so you end up losing like .5 seconds on gcd abilities or something

Fister Roboto posted:

With GCD abilities, you can queue up the action so that it fires the instant it becomes available. Macros don't allow you to do this because they're executed client-side. The result is that you lose a fraction of a second between each GCD, and that adds up over a long fight. Bottom line: if you actually care about your DPS, don't use macros.

Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. I just liked having a super nice condensed hotbar. :v:

Guess it's time to :gitgud:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

year199X posted:

Why not? It's worked pretty well for me. Just don't mash the same key 20 times or you'll just do the first move in the rotation.

When you hit the a GCD ability before your GCD is up (in the last .5s or so), the client sends the ability to the server preemptively so that the GCD fires off immediately. This is to help compensate for network lag, make the game flow better, etc and is known as ability queuing.

Macros can't queue so you lose ~0.5s every single gcd. Since monks have a ~2s gcd, that means you're losing a whopping 25% of your dps, just by using macros.

Also macroing all of your skills together holy poo poo what where you thinking

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it also severely reduces your flexibility and adaptability. What do you do for Perfect Balance?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

bonewitch posted:

When you hit the a GCD ability before your GCD is up (in the last .5s or so), the client sends the ability to the server preemptively so that the GCD fires off immediately. This is to help compensate for network lag, make the game flow better, etc and is known as ability queuing.

I just want to point out that this is true for all abilities, when cast times are involved, not just GCD ones. I.e., you can queue your cleric stance to turn off as soon as that Ruin finishes casting.

My only wish is that we could set the queue time to be longer. 0.5s isn't too short, but I'd prefer a bit more wiggle room myself. SWTOR had the option of setting it up to 1s, and that had a 1.5s GCD.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, even before I used the macros I almost never used perfect balance because I would just do the 1-2-3 4-5-6 for rear/flank. This is all stuff I never think about cuz I just wanted to punch things in the dick. Sorry, I'm about as casual as MMO players come.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I macro fracture onto every GCD

e. I also party chat every single ability when playing ninja. /p DANCING EDGE: FEAR MY HANZO STEEL

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 2, 2015

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Hey, yeah, macroing is bad, don't do it, but don't browbeat people for trying it. It's available as an option and I don't think many people would think to dig that deep into client-side mechanics to find out how well it works.

The whole "what were you thinking?" question is a waste, because they were thinking "Hey, this is pretty convenient and saves me some hotkey space".

poo poo, I wouldn't have known it myself without someone telling me.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Now if you're macroing bar switches, particularly if you're using a controller, that can really help with monk.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

The whole "what were you thinking?" question is a waste, because they were thinking "Hey, this is pretty convenient and saves me some hotkey space".

Yup, that pretty much nails it.

It's slowly dawning on me that in my /played of 15 days I've been carried hard for most of it. Well only part of that was monk, the other part was white mage and gladiator, which I didn't use macros for outside of the swiftcast + raise macro etc or something that lets me attack while focusing the tank.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

nuru posted:

People are probably reading into the generic AF WAR we saw on the moon far too much.

Maybe, but I nevertheless think the Warrior of Darkness is, essentially, a primal version of the Warrior of Light. Formed from the desperate prayers and wishes of the people of Eorzea, and channeled by an Echo-bearer chosen by Zodiark much like Ysayle was able to channel Shiva.

The most tenuous part of that is admittedly the idea that Zodiark can grant the Echo. Remember, though, Lahabrea and Igeyorhm had that ability if their dialogue before becoming the Ascian Prime was any indication. And I doubt that the same being (presumably Hydaelyn) that gave the WoL that ability would give it to an Ascian.

That said, I'm more curious about what exactly was meant by the Eighth Rejoining. I can't seem to fit that number into the Astral/Umbral Era splits without either too many joinings or too few, but that may be due more to how those splits are determined by political figures.

Alternately, a Rejoining resets the Astral/Umbral cycle entirely: Hydaelyn and Zodiark merge, and everyone turns into LCL or something.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Spaceman Future! posted:

e. I also party chat every single ability when playing ninja. /p DANCING EDGE: FEAR MY HANZO STEEL

This is almost the right way to play. You need some <se.*> in there so people can recognize your skills by sound alone.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
<se.6>

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

(last scenario things which I haven't even finished because I'm bad at not mousing over spoilers)

The thing everyone's describing happens in the level 50 DRK quest, which was (among other things) a straight callback to FF4. It was incredibly deliberate there. So why would they have placeholder generic dude when the DRK thing pulled it off perfectly?[ So they wouldn't think we were just facing "Fray" in a new costume or something? :v:

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Unless I'm mistaken, the Fray stuff happens in an in-engine Cutscene, where as the Warrior of Darkness is a full blown animated cinematic? Probably :effort: to make a "dark copy" of you in that context.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Playing casually is fine, but learning even a basic rotation is incredibly easy and will put you at like ~75% efficiency or whatever. Thats easily the difference between a dungeon run taking 20-30 minutes and 45-60 minutes.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Vahalla posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, the Fray stuff happens in an in-engine Cutscene, where as the Warrior of Darkness is a full blown animated cinematic? Probably :effort: to make a "dark copy" of you in that context.

I'm pretty sure it's just a cutscene because I don't remember it being super pretty, also clicking on speech bubbles.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Maybe the Warrior of Darkness looks like Generic Hyur because we're not supposed to know what they look like yet?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gearhead posted:

Maybe the Warrior of Darkness looks like Generic Hyur because we're not supposed to know what they look like yet?

Old warriors of light that got corrupted. Then they can recycle all those models from the ARR opening movie.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Tenzarin posted:

Old warriors of light that got corrupted. Then they can recycle all those models from the ARR opening movie.

Alright, I like this idea a lot.

On another note, I got SMN to 58 recently and there's some job quest dialogue that has me wondering.

Y'mhitra mentions that I was at the Battle of Carteneau.

Though my character is a 1.0 character, I only have the tattoo and I never really went far at all in 1.0. I don't have legacy status or the special little intro/ending cutscenes that legacy characters get where the Scions and GC leaders recognize you as one of the titular Warriors of Light, as opposed to the successor to the legacy of heroic adventurers.

AFAIK they don't really plan on catering to legacy players much more than that because they also get a discount on sub fees. I"m guessing they're just rolling all PCs into actually being the original warriors of light rather than an echo-touched adventurer who earns that title.

Edit: vvv Ah. I wonder what a non-1.0 character gets for that.

Argas fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2015

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

I got SMN to 58 recently and there's some job quest dialogue that has me wondering.

Though my character is a 1.0 character, I only have the tattoo and I never really went far at all in 1.0. I don't have legacy status or the special little intro/ending cutscenes that legacy characters get where the Scions and GC leaders recognize you as one of the titular Warriors of Light, as opposed to the successor to the legacy of heroic adventurers.

The flag for these dialog forks is sometimes purely based on the time travel tramp stamp.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Argas posted:

I got SMN to 58 recently and there's some job quest dialogue that has me wondering.

I think every new Warrior of Light is just some rando that was at Carteneau and got the blessing of Hydaelyn because Fate or whatever.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
While we're at it, are there other instances of characters having different dialogue based on quests you've done? One of my friends was talking to her for his class quests, and during the MSQ when you talk to her she reacts as if they were friends, whereas for me I don't recall her doing that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what happens if you do The Aery as a DRG. Because holy poo poo that kill steal at the end is dumb.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

year199X posted:

While we're at it, are there other instances of characters having different dialogue based on quests you've done? One of my friends was talking to her for his class quests, and during the MSQ when you talk to her she reacts as if they were friends, whereas for me I don't recall her doing that.

Yeah, there's a couple of times throughout the story (I think it only starts happening in 2.5 and it seems like they're kind of slowly rotating through all of the classes so everyone can have a "hey remember that other thing you did" moment) where you get different dialog based on what classes you've completed-- Estinien mentions you being an Azure Dragoon if you've done the DRG quests, the THM and ACN guild leaders say something about you when you visit them, stuff like that.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Opposing Farce posted:

Yeah, there's a couple of times throughout the story (I think it only starts happening in 2.5 and it seems like they're kind of slowly rotating through all of the classes so everyone can have a "hey remember that other thing you did" moment) where you get different dialog based on what classes you've completed-- Estinien mentions you being an Azure Dragoon if you've done the DRG quests, the THM and ACN guild leaders say something about you when you visit them, stuff like that.

Yeah, as a DRG at least, the one line about "[redacted] won't stand a chance against TWO Azure Dragoons!" was a cool little touch.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Truga posted:

I wonder what happens if you do The Aery as a DRG. Because holy poo poo that kill steal at the end is dumb.

I think the bigger point with the Aery is how real it mimics an MMO, because Estinien creates a raid party, Amphinauld wants to join, and Estinien tells him he can't because he's too much of a newbie.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

I was wondering how much time was supposed to have passed btwn that fight and the end of the MSQ because is Estinien just going to wear that bloody armor for ever?

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

Who could be mad though, when he's just so drat happy in the close-up shot as he rips out Nidhoggs eye. :unsmigghh:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

rock2much posted:

I was wondering how much time was supposed to have passed btwn that fight and the end of the MSQ because is Estinien just going to wear that bloody armor for ever?

How much time passes isn't certain. To be fair, I figure the armor's just stained blood red or something or it's supposed to be symbolic of how he has gone so far over the edge he's bathing in the blood of his enemies.

No worries, though he'll be out of that armor before the story's done. :v:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Opposing Farce posted:

That's pretty rad then, I like when games acknowledge stuff you did. It makes you feel like you're an important figure in the story and characters look up to you as a friend, even if your only response to everything is a nod.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

bonewitch posted:

Playing casually is fine, but learning even a basic rotation is incredibly easy and will put you at like ~75% efficiency or whatever. Thats easily the difference between a dungeon run taking 20-30 minutes and 45-60 minutes.

Also, this is a cooperative multiplayer game. Not at least trying to be baseline good at your job actually DOES effect other people negatively. I would almost go as far to say it's inconsiderate to not try and do as well as you can, though you're never going to get everything 100% correct right off the bat and that's okay.

year199X posted:

Oh, I didn't know this was a thing. I just liked having a super nice condensed hotbar. :v:

Guess it's time to :gitgud:

This macro thing comes up a ton, so don't feel too bad. At least you're trying!

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gearhead posted:

No worries, though he'll be out of that armor before the story's done. :v:

Hahaha awww :smith:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

rock2much posted:

Until such time as he can take it off, sure. He says when he's got some time, he's going to have it reforged and poo poo.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

I'm totally cool with letting Estinien finally getting revenge for his family. This isn't Justice for Thrall.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
hi hello are any excalibur goons able to make the Kirimu Coat? apparently it requires a spergy level of LTW or something dumb but if I know goons I'm sure several of you can make it so please hit me up @ lt. mittens thank you

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Truga posted:

Aery.txt

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Truga posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just a cutscene because I don't remember it being super pretty, also clicking on speech bubbles.

Hm, probably wrong then. No clue what's going on if that's the case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

quote:

of most heroic deeds.

• Locked thread