Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

reL posted:

If I DOW Gelre, make peace with Friesland by making them my vassal, and then annex Gelre into Friesland, will Friesland give Gelre up to Austria when they inevitably demand their imperial territory?
Maybe it's just when the emperor is a human, but it seems like the only function of that demand is giving the emperor a reason to kick their rear end. I have never seen an AI that would actually hand territory back at least.

PrinceRandom posted:

Is Meghalaya ever not going to be a wasteland
When they implement Vicky II style uncrossable borders.

(Please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bold Robot posted:

On another note, any tips for beating Portugal to the Cape in a Dutch game?

It's pretty doable, depending on what Portugal does. But you grab exploration ideas second, get to Guyana first, then jump to Africa, St. Helena if available, otherwise one of the trade ports, then down to the cape. You'll usually get there first 50% of the time. IF you don't, just take it from them.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Is Reformed any good? The Fervor bonuses look kinda eh compared to the customizable bonuses for Protestantism.

I actually don't think I've ever seen the Portugese in the Cape. I've had 3 games where it's GB and in my Bengal game It's Spain.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

reL posted:

Any recommendations on forming Netherlands with Holland? 1446 Burgundian inheritance fired, before I had a chance to declare independence and take Breda. I have Utrecht and I'm in a position to DOW Gelre which will allow me to annex Gelre and Friesland via an (iffy) war.

If I DOW Gelre, make peace with Friesland by making them my vassal, and then annex Gelre into Friesland, will Friesland give Gelre up to Austria when they inevitably demand their imperial territory?

I'm allied with France, but I'm not sure if that will be even close to enough to help me snipe Breda, should I just restart and hope the inheritance doesn't fire immediately?

You can give Gelre to Friesland in a peace settlement and they won't surrender it to the Emperor. However as far as I know they won't accept it if you try and sell them a non-core province in the HRE, maybe if they have a claim on it.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Holy poo poo. Is there some way for AI Bonuses to get turned on in an Ironman game? I've been getting really frustrated the last week as I've been playing Ironman games (bouncing between Poland, Sweden, and Tunis) trying to figure out how in the hell I was getting so slammed and unable to make any headway compared to others I'd seen in LPs and videos. Turns out I finally decided to hover over force limits in my latest Poland game trying to work out how I could face down the 1460 Ottomans with 75k and a 79 force limit, or Muscovy with just Perm annexed and a 48k army with a 54 force limit. Turns out all my saves had AI bonuses turned on in Ironman mode. I created a normal mode game with default settings, then made a new Ironman and the bonuses were turned off in the new game so hopefully they stay off, but I'm nowhere near hardcore/insane enough to keep playing with those AI bonuses. Especially since Lithuania was only building to about 20-25k even with a force limit of 55 and the idea of not having to face down a united Iberian penisula with over 80k as Tunis would be nice.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is it just me or does 1490 deadline for keeping North Italy in the HRE seem a bit strict? With the massive AE penalty to taking Venetian provinces, I barely had enough time to add just those provinces to the empire before 1490 rolled around.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

does anybody else get really awful stutter at max speed? i'm way over the requirements for the game and yet it's stuttering while looking around the map, but remains smooth when the game is paused

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

Is Reformed any good? The Fervor bonuses look kinda eh compared to the customizable bonuses for Protestantism.

The bonuses don't matter, Calvinism is a disease that must be wiped out in every form.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm trying to be all Serbia Strong in the new patch but I seem to keep getting my rear end kicked. Nobody around me will ally with me at the start. I've got great defensible terrain, great traditions, and a decent army, and I get DOWed by everyone around me when I try to use them.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is it just me or does 1490 deadline for keeping North Italy in the HRE seem a bit strict? With the massive AE penalty to taking Venetian provinces, I barely had enough time to add just those provinces to the empire before 1490 rolled around.

It's not supposed to be easy.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

ThePutty posted:

does anybody else get really awful stutter at max speed? i'm way over the requirements for the game and yet it's stuttering while looking around the map, but remains smooth when the game is paused

If you turn off the fog of war that can happen. The other alternative is if you're on Ironman mode or have monthly autosaves your computer is stuttering at the end of each month so it can save. That happens to me where at speed 5 the game progresses so quickly through a month that it appears as if the game goes super quick for a few seconds then goes unresponsive for a few more when saving, then back again.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The bit I really don't like about it is you have to take Rome, and eat all the poo poo that entails, in order to prevent everyone leaving. That seems pretty lovely imo. Take all the rest of the Papacy's provinces, sure, but when you have a nasty, stab-hit event and a nasty triggered modifier which will hit your chances of holding onto the imperial title? Ouch...

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

It's pretty doable, depending on what Portugal does. But you grab exploration ideas second, get to Guyana first, then jump to Africa, St. Helena if available, otherwise one of the trade ports, then down to the cape. You'll usually get there first 50% of the time. IF you don't, just take it from them.
Is there an idea group that's preferable for the Dutch to take first? I've been happy with exploration first whenever I capture a Portuguese island.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Allyn posted:

The bit I really don't like about it is you have to take Rome, and eat all the poo poo that entails, in order to prevent everyone leaving. That seems pretty lovely imo. Take all the rest of the Papacy's provinces, sure, but when you have a nasty, stab-hit event and a nasty triggered modifier which will hit your chances of holding onto the imperial title? Ouch...

Note you don't have to take Venice itself. When I did it I released Urbino and cancelled their vassalization, sold them Rome. You still have to take and core it and eat the relations hit but you can avoid the modifier for controlling Rome.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

As Austria I find it preferable to let them leave.

If you pu Bohemia and Hungary when italy leaves the hre you have a nice new area to expand into full of rich but weak nations.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, Florence/Tuscany can now choose to elect a de Medici on election, who doesn't cost RT and has random stats. Awesome. Although he died and I didn't get the option so maybe that's a one time thing I missed out on.

He's always a 3/2/1 ruler, and you have to remain Florence:

code:
	option = {
		name = "elections.700.e"	# We need a Medici to rule us
		trigger = { tag = LAN }
		ai_chance = { factor = 90 }
		define_ruler = {
			mil = 3
			adm = 2
			dip = 1					
			fixed = yes
		}
		if = {
			limit = { 
				has_faction = mr_aristocrats 
			}
			add_faction_influence = {
				faction = mr_aristocrats
				influence = 10
			}				
		}
		if = {
			limit = { 
				has_faction = mr_guilds 
			}
			add_faction_influence = {
				faction = mr_guilds
				influence = 10
			}				
		}			
	}

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
The flavor event option was a work in progress, not done and they forgot to remove it for the beta patch. So it isn't guaranteed to work correctly. As is you don't get the option on death and it can produce a ruler that is not a medici.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

As Austria I find it preferable to let them leave.

If you pu Bohemia and Hungary when italy leaves the hre you have a nice new area to expand into full of rich but weak nations.
Plus then you get to add them to the HRE again for extra authority.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, Florence/Tuscany can now choose to elect a de Medici on election, who doesn't cost RT and has random stats. Awesome. Although he died and I didn't get the option so maybe that's a one time thing I missed out on.

On the paradox forums, one of the scriptors mentioned that he was working on that but wasn't finished with it and didn't do a super good job of reverting it to the way the elections worked before. So either expect it to be properly filled out with 1.13 or totally stripped out.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Are Colonial independence wars firing really early for anyone else? In my 1.12/1.13 game, its 1700, and the English and Spanish Colonies have already declared independence wars (English colonies lost, Spanish colonies Won), and Portugal is in the middle of fighting its. The boost to Liberty Desire from Admin efficiency might be a factor, tipping colonies over the 50% edge and then they think their huge swaths of 4 dev provinces can take on the British Empire.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I have a Japan game in the mid-1500s, and my colonial nations in South America are starting to run into Portugal's CNs. Can I leverage this somehow to westernize off them? Or am I better off going to Africa to find a European colony to get adjacent with?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Pellisworth posted:

Note you don't have to take Venice itself. When I did it I released Urbino and cancelled their vassalization, sold them Rome. You still have to take and core it and eat the relations hit but you can avoid the modifier for controlling Rome.

From the HRE map it looks like you only need to take Brescia? Is that wrong? (that obviously doesn't include the insane amount of other stuff in Italy you need to take). Overall it looks like it is better to just leave Italy alone and take it later after you punch France in the face. Otherwise you have way too much AE to remain emperor.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have a Japan game in the mid-1500s, and my colonial nations in South America are starting to run into Portugal's CNs. Can I leverage this somehow to westernize off them? Or am I better off going to Africa to find a European colony to get adjacent with?

If you have a colonial region where you don't have a colonial nation yet and can get a colony next to a European core or European CN core, that'd work. Near Maya in Central America may be a good spot for that. But I don't think you can off of your CN being next to their CN.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

aeglus posted:

From the HRE map it looks like you only need to take Brescia? Is that wrong? (that obviously doesn't include the insane amount of other stuff in Italy you need to take). Overall it looks like it is better to just leave Italy alone and take it later after you punch France in the face. Otherwise you have way too much AE to remain emperor.

I didn't have too much difficulty with AE but it does require mountains of ADM points to core all that stuff. You need all the provinces held by the Papal State and vassal Umbria, plus all the coastal Venetian provinces but Venice itself -- Brescia, Verona, Treviso, Friuli as memory serves.

In retrospect it's probably better to just let them leave, but if you're Austria it's probably a good idea to ally Savoy. Otherwise France likes to kick in the door and eat through northern Italy.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

sloshmonger posted:

If you have a colonial region where you don't have a colonial nation yet and can get a colony next to a European core or European CN core, that'd work. Near Maya in Central America may be a good spot for that. But I don't think you can off of your CN being next to their CN.

Interesting -- I had assumed it had to be Portugal proper, but of course Portuguese CNs have western tech too. I can't beat them in a war but I might be able to settle by them in Brazil or Mexico.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I only just realized how hard it is to convince a monarchy to become a Free City, it seems kinda impossible. I guess for that achiev you have to hunt down the non germanic republics?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

I only just realized how hard it is to convince a monarchy to become a Free City, it seems kinda impossible. I guess for that achiev you have to hunt down the non germanic republics?

There are a bunch of Italian republic minors and Ragusa. That probably means keeping Italy in the HRE, though.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

I got a bunch of dutch opm to agree pretty easily. It's only a -50

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Man, the zone of control either has tons of undocumented exceptions, is buggy, or knowing Paradox, probably both. I was playing as Brandenburg and besiging an unfortified province, surrounded by 3 forts I captured from Poland, and Poland just walked past the forts - literally, they were a ring around the province, and Poland just ignored them to attack my army.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Beamed posted:

Man, the zone of control either has tons of undocumented exceptions, is buggy, or knowing Paradox, probably both. I was playing as Brandenburg and besiging an unfortified province, surrounded by 3 forts I captured from Poland, and Poland just walked past the forts - literally, they were a ring around the province, and Poland just ignored them to attack my army.

Forts you've occupied from the enemy don't give a zoc iirc

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

I got a bunch of dutch opm to agree pretty easily. It's only a -50

I think they're more likely to accept Free City if they feel threatened by you, rather than friendly towards you.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Hambilderberglar posted:

Is there an idea group that's preferable for the Dutch to take first? I've been happy with exploration first whenever I capture a Portuguese island.

Admin is a good first idea.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Trabisnikof posted:

Well, that'd explain it. Where can I see that in-game?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, I thought this was a bug too, until it kept happening and I figured it was probably WAD.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Hey Wiz, has there been any talk of new events for republics? I feel like I've seen the scandal and foreign plot ones a hundred times each.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hambilderberglar posted:

The last time I did it I went Humanist first, which worked out nicely. The rich provinces meant large rebels, so the decrease in Nationalism helped. Now I'd probably take Economic, or even Quantity if I happened to roll a crazy military ruler.

nessin posted:

Holy poo poo. Is there some way for AI Bonuses to get turned on in an Ironman game? I've been getting really frustrated the last week as I've been playing Ironman games (bouncing between Poland, Sweden, and Tunis) trying to figure out how in the hell I was getting so slammed and unable to make any headway compared to others I'd seen in LPs and videos. Turns out I finally decided to hover over force limits in my latest Poland game trying to work out how I could face down the 1460 Ottomans with 75k and a 79 force limit, or Muscovy with just Perm annexed and a 48k army with a 54 force limit. Turns out all my saves had AI bonuses turned on in Ironman mode. I created a normal mode game with default settings, then made a new Ironman and the bonuses were turned off in the new game so hopefully they stay off, but I'm nowhere near hardcore/insane enough to keep playing with those AI bonuses. Especially since Lithuania was only building to about 20-25k even with a force limit of 55 and the idea of not having to face down a united Iberian penisula with over 80k as Tunis would be nice.

It certainly shouldn't turn itself on, but if you had it turned on in a previous game, it'll stay on in your new starts, until you go manually flip it off.

But AI bonuses can be really fun, it makes playing a big blob like France or Russia actually challenging.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 2, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I mostly love Humanist for the accepted culture threshold. It's really really good if you're building a big multi-ethnic empire. With a little playing around and balancing you can basically have every single culture accepted.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

I mostly love Humanist for the accepted culture threshold. It's really really good if you're building a big multi-ethnic empire. With a little playing around and balancing you can basically have every single culture accepted.
I have an unreasonable love for doing this. If you take Diplomatic and have your own acceptance bonus you can get it down to like ~75% of the norm.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bort Bortles posted:

I have an unreasonable love for doing this. If you take Diplomatic and have your own acceptance bonus you can get it down to like ~75% of the norm.

Yeah I'm playing a custom country that already has -20% threshold and once I grab full humanism every 3-4 province culture block gets accepted. And with the new development system it's really easy to just keep investing in minority cultures until they become accepted. Dutch? English? Rhineish? Francian? Sure, all accepted, come on in to this great republic.

\/ Yeah it's sadly about the only thing I really like in the group. I never have trouble with rebels or religious tolerance, it's a total waste but I can't stand not having accepted cultures I want an inclusive safe-space for all the people I'm aggressively blobbing. The -10% idea cost is nice though too. Yeah basically just the accepted culture thing and -10% idea cost, rest is useless.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

I wish some other idea groups did that too. I don't like taking humanist solely for ACT and I feel like I have to in every non colonial game I play

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 2, 2015

• Locked thread