Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
One problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Selling premiums is bad mojo

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Are there any suggested builds out there? Are they actually any good?

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

I've been waiting for the Open Beta and I'm currently installing. I know there are going to be swarms of new players (myself included) but hopefully I'll be slightly less dumb having watched loads of videos and followed some streams.

DiomedesGodshill fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2023

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Jaroslav posted:

My best game so far in a carrier, i've really started to like these things. Against an American carrier that knows what they are doing it is an exercise in frustration, but when they don't... its showtime.

A big plus is also the rage you get, people really seem to dislike carriers for some reason :confused: Just wish i had used a XP flag :<

Carriers are like WoT artillery except I have to suffer through watching the shell fly towards me slowly, knowing I have no mountains to hid behind and that I have only modest dodging options. I'm honestly curious about their vision for carriers.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is there a decent "Beginner's guide to not being an utter travesty of a bote captain" floating around that's not too far out of date? I just can't seem to get a handle on this game - sometimes I do okay, sometimes I do garbage, in each case I have no idea why (other than the very basic reason "because I'm not in TS with goons", which we will ignore for now).

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ChickenWing posted:

Is there a decent "Beginner's guide to not being an utter travesty of a bote captain" floating around that's not too far out of date? I just can't seem to get a handle on this game - sometimes I do okay, sometimes I do garbage, in each case I have no idea why (other than the very basic reason "because I'm not in TS with goons", which we will ignore for now).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVmXzlhZvJVTEOR1bd7vYmu0Ni2ywxAOM
That's wargaming's own boat tutorial series. It teaches some basic stuff. Cruisers (CA) are what you start as. They shoot fairly rapidly and do moderate damage, and are essentially the bread and butter of any fleet.
At T2, Destroyers (DD) open up. Destroyers are faster (usually) and more maneuverable (always) than cruisers, but have significantly less HP. They typically have very high concealment, meaning you need to get close to get detected, or you have to start shooting (which lowers concealment for a brief time). Their bread and butter are torpedoes, which are covered in the video series. Torpedoes are hard to aim, but very satisfying to land hits with. There's a lot of depth to using them, and a lot of it is prediction and mindgames.
At T3, Battleships (BB) are accessible. They're behemoths with tons of HP, thick armor, a skill that lets them repair damage, and huge, long range guns with equally long reload times. They can one-shot a lot of smaller ships in a single broadside, given an AP penetration to the citadel, making them extremely deadly to Cruisers. However, they're slow and have extremely bad concealment, meaning they're big targets for bombers and other long range fire, and a destroyer can often maneuver to avoid Battleship fire and close in for a torpedo run, which the battleship will have difficulty dodging.
And finally, at T4, there are Aircraft Carriers (CV). Sky Cancer. They play totally different from all the other boats. You should check videos to see exactly how they operate, but basically they're long range attackers that fight by remotely commanding flights of aircraft to bomb and torpedo boats, and shoot down enemy aircraft. They can fulfill a lot of roles, but they themselves are virtually unarmed and must stay concealed and away from combat, or they'll get blasted to hell through their thin armor. If they are lit on fire, they cannot land or deploy aircraft, gutting their ability to fight. Right now, CVs are very potent with nigh unavoidable torpedo runs, but they bounce around depending on Wargaming's mood, I guess.

US Boats tend to focus on primary armament and AA over IJN ships, which tend to favor torpedoes, speed, and in the case of battleships, range.

Basic strategy, don't be out in front, let a pubbie do that for you. Shoot people who overextend, only push when others are pushing. Division up with goons for a better chance of winning.

If you have more questions, ask nerds on TS. They should answer. I will, if I'm on.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Wargaming ruined my game again. Saw Kuma 4 km off, sunk it real fast with citadel hit, checked and saw no torps incoming so went on my way. Instead torps finally decided to show up inside 1 km range so I had 3 seconds to react. Less xp per game, more xp to grind, and now this loving bull poo poo :argh:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aesis posted:

Wargaming ruined my game again. Saw Kuma 4 km off, sunk it real fast with citadel hit, checked and saw no torps incoming so went on my way. Instead torps finally decided to show up inside 1 km range so I had 3 seconds to react. Less xp per game, more xp to grind, and now this loving bull poo poo :argh:
I mean, its not REALLY bullshit. Your torp detection range in some ships is really short - any cruiser with torps or DD that has its side to me under ~8km I assume has launched torps.

The Murmansk is super good at farming up Confederate medals, which give you 10x 50% XP boost flags each time. I'm grinding free XP and not really aiming for them, but if we are winning and I know I've shot 3+ ships, I definitely make sure I hit at least 6. Super worth it.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

The combination of spotting, limited smoke, powerful HE and short range on the torps makes US DDs hard to play. I find it really hit or miss, and if there's too many Atagos and Atlantas the match becomes an entire waste of time.

Spotting really is hosed up for DDs right now, in my Sims I can get spotted anywhere from 4 to 12km for seemingly no reason, this becomes even worse if aircraft are involved, a single CA with his fighters can shut you down.

Cool so just get better be patient and be a vulture rather than vanguard.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

cheese posted:

I mean, its not REALLY bullshit. Your torp detection range in some ships is really short - any cruiser with torps or DD that has its side to me under ~8km I assume has launched torps.

The Murmansk is super good at farming up Confederate medals, which give you 10x 50% XP boost flags each time. I'm grinding free XP and not really aiming for them, but if we are winning and I know I've shot 3+ ships, I definitely make sure I hit at least 6. Super worth it.
Well I normally detect from 3~4 km, so only detecting inside 1 km is just not right.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Aesis posted:

Well I normally detect from 3~4 km, so only detecting inside 1 km is just not right.

Typically torps start getting detected at around 2km. If you're in a group with other people, somebody further up could spot them early, detecting them in advance for you. Generally you already need to be taking evasive action before you ever see the torpedoes, especially if its a enemy boat with 60+ knot torpedo speeds. All of the long lances clock in at 67 knots (you'll get maybe 5 seconds to react before impact), and the Tier 10 IJN CA has torpedo speeds of 77 knots, I believe. You'll be dead the second you see the torps.

Taking the level 3 skill "Vigilance" increases the range at which you detect torpedoes. Its not a bad choice. Torpedoes can have situations where they are harder to detect than normal, as well. Smoke can obscure your detection of torpedoes until they hit 1km (and then you're dead), and torpedoes coming around the corner of an island (I call these "blind torps") can be undetected right up until your ship clears the edge, which can be at any range, even point blank. Don't rely on spotting the torps to dodge them.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Yeah I get that, except I have Vigilance and it was a 1v1 in open sea without any smoke or islands around. There was no reason why I shouldn't have spotted it beyond 2 km at all but it happened.

Also jesus Taiho already :stare:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Aesis posted:

If you see destroyers at all, you have to be wary of torpedoes. Just turn away.

Cruisers have much narrower arcs for their torpedoes. Be concerned if Japanese high-tier cruisers are steaming away from you, ahead on a parallel course. You're right in their firing arc. The light cruisers have narrow arcs that project perpendicular from amidships, so they're incredibly vulnerable if they try to launch a spread at you.

If you aren't distracted, dodging torps is easy. Spot a torp-carrying ship, turn away.

If you're in a destroyer, you can cut your speed and pilot your ship through the torpedoes.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I said Kuma not destroyer!

e: Doing 20k damage to pubbie NC in the team refusing to go forward and sitting back, still getting 150 more xp than him :psyduck: Shame I didn't have torpedo because Cleveland.
e2: tbh it's partially my fault for thinking he didn't poop torp, because everyone always poops torps.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jul 2, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

You will get a feel for what torpedo attacks from destroyers and cruisers looks like, especially since the vast majority have side or side/rear mounted torps and must swing to broadside to launch.

I kinda feel like Carriers should be more vulnerable. The distance to speed ratio compared to WoT means they almost never have to worry about destroyers sneaking through their fleet and torping them.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

cheese posted:

You will get a feel for what torpedo attacks from destroyers and cruisers looks like, especially since the vast majority have side or side/rear mounted torps and must swing to broadside to launch.

I kinda feel like Carriers should be more vulnerable. The distance to speed ratio compared to WoT means they almost never have to worry about destroyers sneaking through their fleet and torping them.

Perhaps not in early tiers, but later tiers have to account for BB range and the ever increasing torp range of IJN DDs. Pre-patch, I've hit max range torps on high tier carriers before, and they never knew it was coming until it was too late, and they possibly didnt even know they were about to die (as they were micromanaging planes). Carriers are slow and have bad maneuvering, so they're vulnerable to other CVs, as well.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I got my US cruiser commander to 10 points. What to get (or reset)? Currently have Basics of Survivability, Situation Awareness, Aiming Expert, Fire Prevention and Vigilance.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Perhaps not in early tiers, but later tiers have to account for BB range and the ever increasing torp range of IJN DDs. Pre-patch, I've hit max range torps on high tier carriers before, and they never knew it was coming until it was too late, and they possibly didnt even know they were about to die (as they were micromanaging planes). Carriers are slow and have bad maneuvering, so they're vulnerable to other CVs, as well.
Early tiers are going to make or break this game as a success. "Well its fine at tier 8" is not a good way to make sure the game is a success.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Getting caught in the open sea in a low-tier BB against a good minekaze skipper is terrifying. WHERE ARE ALL THESE TORPEDOS COMING FROM :psyduck:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is there going to be a wipe after open beta, or was this one the last?

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

KoldPT posted:

Is there going to be a wipe after open beta, or was this one the last?

No more wipes, you keep everything after this point.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Vatek posted:

Getting caught in the open sea in a low-tier BB against a good minekaze skipper is terrifying. WHERE ARE ALL THESE TORPEDOS COMING FROM :psyduck:
Once you have gotten a taste of what its like to have 10km torps and a 7km detection range, you won't be able to stomach US DDs.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

cheese posted:

Once you have gotten a taste of what its like to have 10km torps and a 7km detection range, you won't be able to stomach US DDs.

I dunno...it is pretty satisfying to dodge an IJN DD's torps and then shoot the absolute living poo poo out of him while he is reloading and trying to run away. So many fires...

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
After playing like 400 games I just can't help but feel that WoWS is just plain broken compared to WoT. There are many good ingame mechanics in WoT that WoWS could have used that were not ported over, and I just can't help but feel that Wargaming made WoWS way too simple (and more grindy).

'It's only OBT' apology just doesn't work.

e: My biggest discontent is that there's no point in risking at all because it just means you'll die fast and the reward will be small. Better to just sit back and spam HE or hope AP will damage citadel.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 2, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Aesis posted:

e: My biggest discontent is that there's no point in risking at all because it just means you'll die fast and the reward will be small. Better to just sit back and spam HE or hope AP will damage citadel.

Then stop going in guns blazing. If I remember correctly, this tends to get you killed in tanks, too, except this time you can't one-shot people and try to moonwalk out by using cover. This game is about positioning properly, making yourself as hard a target as possible for your opponents while nullifying their ability to do the same. DD's do this by scouting out enemies and launching torpedoes at targets that have put themselves in a position where they can't maneuver or are isolated and therefore can't detect the DD deploying torpedoes against them. CAs do this by skirmishing at mid-long range and screening their BBs and CVs from enemy DDs and opportunistic CAs, as well as defending from plane attacks. BBs do this by attacking at range and (hopefully) focusing down priority targets to create a man advantage for their team. CVs do this by scouting with fighters, engaging enemy aircraft, and sending out bombers to punish bad positioning by the enemy's CAs and picking off unguarded foes.

You can't be a hero and waltz into an enemy group and kill them all because you're brave and strong and invincible. You've got to pick your battles and know when you are in danger and where you can be aggressive. Ships take a while to die, even DDs sometimes. A small mistake isn't game-ending, but a serious mistake or a series of poor decisions will end you, and no amount of good decisions after that point will save you.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

Then stop going in guns blazing. If I remember correctly, this tends to get you killed in tanks, too, except this time you can't one-shot people and try to moonwalk out by using cover. This game is about positioning properly, making yourself as hard a target as possible for your opponents while nullifying their ability to do the same. DD's do this by scouting out enemies and launching torpedoes at targets that have put themselves in a position where they can't maneuver or are isolated and therefore can't detect the DD deploying torpedoes against them. CAs do this by skirmishing at mid-long range and screening their BBs and CVs from enemy DDs and opportunistic CAs, as well as defending from plane attacks. BBs do this by attacking at range and (hopefully) focusing down priority targets to create a man advantage for their team. CVs do this by scouting with fighters, engaging enemy aircraft, and sending out bombers to punish bad positioning by the enemy's CAs and picking off unguarded foes.

You can't be a hero and waltz into an enemy group and kill them all because you're brave and strong and invincible. You've got to pick your battles and know when you are in danger and where you can be aggressive. Ships take a while to die, even DDs sometimes. A small mistake isn't game-ending, but a serious mistake or a series of poor decisions will end you, and no amount of good decisions after that point will save you.
I think a lot of people who play WoT are used to being able to hop into their Type 59 and reliably carry many games. You can certainly make clutch plays but its much harder to do that in WoWs. Whether that ends up being a good or something that keeps good players irritated and frustrated, who knows.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
WoWS and WoWP suffer equally in the sense that both of them absolutely *require* the team to work with at least some semblance of cohesion, but offer absolutely no incentive for people to do so unless they division/platoon with one another. In an ideal world you'd get bonuses for a cruiser sticking close to a battleship (other than the BB being able to passively enhance its AA envelope). Or a squadron of destroyers working in tandem (or at least staying nearby one another) having a multiplicative effect on their reloads, etc.

Wargaming had a chance with WoWS to do something new, but it honestly just really feels like a 'slower' WoT. Someone should do a reward vs. time study to figure out how long you should bother staying in a match before you should have just gotten yourself killed and gone on to another boat, because these 15 minute Domination mode draws I keep seeing cannot be worth it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hazdoc posted:

I don't go in guns blazing tbh. It's just that I find it extremely boring with current game flow of clustering up around battleships sitting at max range shooting nothing but HE. There's virtually no positioning involved tbh. I try to poke around area where enemy presence is weak and commit if possible, but in the end my team somehow gets wiped within 5 minutes. And compared to WoT even the ammunition selection seems pointless for cruisers because HE works like magic despite low damage thanks to non-stop fire.

Sure it's playable when players play according to what you mentioned, but currently there's none of it.

cheese posted:

I think a lot of people who play WoT are used to being able to hop into their Type 59 and reliably carry many games. You can certainly make clutch plays but its much harder to do that in WoWs. Whether that ends up being a good or something that keeps good players irritated and frustrated, who knows.
tbh with guaranteed damage I don't think anyone expects to carry the games, but it's just easier being with the herd mindlessly shooting at max range instead of skirmishing around trying to poke.

e: And with no incentives for team play it's just every men for himself because dealing damage is more important for xp than playing as a team and sacrificing yourself.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 2, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

Selling premiums is bad mojo

No really, that ship sucks balls. I don't care how other people love it, I think it sucks and I would rather have the empty slot and not have to look at that lovely ship anymore.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wargaming had a chance with WoWS to do something new, but it honestly just really feels like a 'slower' WoT. Someone should do a reward vs. time study to figure out how long you should bother staying in a match before you should have just gotten yourself killed and gone on to another boat, because these 15 minute Domination mode draws I keep seeing cannot be worth it.
Draws are impossible in Domination. If the game goes the full 15 minutes, whoever has more points wins.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Mirrors posted:

I'm having a hard time "getting" destroyer play. I've got a Wickes, and I think I die first every game I play in and rarely kill anything. I had a game or two where I did serious work with the Sampson but just can't seem to get this even a little consistent. Is that just the nature of the beast or is there a secret I need to know?

Those early US torpedoes are loving horrible. They're so goddamn slow that shooting them at anything other than point blank range gives the other ship plenty of time to dodge them. The Clemson is a huge step up, since when it's fully upgraded it has torpedoes that go farther and faster and it has twice the guns of the Wikes.

But yeah, US destroyers are best played as anti-DD ships that can also kill bigger ships when the opportunity presents itself.

ChickenWing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOL-NwvY4MM

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Vatek posted:

I think trying to face them down with your prow and keep them inside the range of your secondary guns is the best method of dealing with them. Imo a minekaze has a much much stricter margin of error than you do in your carolina or kawachi. Of course after like a day of playing I don't know how good of a minekaze I've seen yet

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It doesn't help that, outside of multiple torpedo hits or a major ship advantage, close range fights are very random and the winner rarely gets away without heavy damage.
And with the way ships work, taking advantage of enemies out of position isn't as much of a thing. If you come around an island and surprise an enemy, unless you blow them up with torpedoes it'll normally just come down to a fight where you got the first shot.

It's not a bad game the way planes was, but there's just not much depth. The same thing that makes boats harder to carry than tanks makes it less interesting, because all those things you did to carry tanks games just don't exist in boats.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

James Garfield posted:

It doesn't help that, outside of multiple torpedo hits or a major ship advantage, close range fights are very random and the winner rarely gets away without heavy damage.
And with the way ships work, taking advantage of enemies out of position isn't as much of a thing. If you come around an island and surprise an enemy, unless you blow them up with torpedoes it'll normally just come down to a fight where you got the first shot.

It's not a bad game the way planes was, but there's just not much depth. The same thing that makes boats harder to carry than tanks makes it less interesting, because all those things you did to carry tanks games just don't exist in boats.
I think there is quite a bit of depth, but a lot of it seems like it would involve team play in a way that just will never happen in a pubbie match.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I haven't played much in .40 yet. But I saw some sort of video in which someone was aiming in scope, and beneath the crosshairs there was a rangefinder with the # of km away the target was, and the # of seconds you should lead (or probably more accurately, shell travel time). Is this something enabled by default? Or is it a mod of some kinds? I went to the Aslains site, and the WoWS download set off every virus alarm in existence.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Leif. posted:

I haven't played much in .40 yet. But I saw some sort of video in which someone was aiming in scope, and beneath the crosshairs there was a rangefinder with the # of km away the target was, and the # of seconds you should lead (or probably more accurately, shell travel time). Is this something enabled by default? Or is it a mod of some kinds? I went to the Aslains site, and the WoWS download set off every virus alarm in existence.
Hitting Alt will show both distance to your cursor and how long it will take your shots to reach that spot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leif. posted:

Alt key will do this, as noted above, or you can go into your settings and turn on the Always On Alt mode, ignore the game complaining about it making your performance suffer, because it won't.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Am I the only one who hates the after score screen? Its somehow less useful than the WoT one. I don't think you can see how much damage you did to a specific ship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Is there any strategy in pubs other than wait, hang back and hope your team forms a murderball?