Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Arglebargle III posted:

Most of the longswords are literally copies of museum pieces.

yeah, i love the swords in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Riso posted:

The Griffin armour has spikes.

I still want my upgradeable Kaer Morhen armour Comte! You won't get away !

It really is a shame they hand you some of the coolest looking armor at the start of the game and the inventory system necessitates you discard it sooner rather than later. I'd love to be able to upgrade it.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
Is there a sort of generally recommended order to go about doing things, or is it basically do whatever after White Orchard? Because, while awesome and detailed as hell, the Velen-Novigrad area is pretty overwhelming. I'm level 6, I've done the cave thing with Keira and the Baron wants me to find his wife and daughter, and other than that I'm just basically fart-arsing around doing random junk for peasants. Is there some way to get a sense of direction and progression (I have no idea how to tell if my gear is any good, for instance, and no idea how to get better stuff) outside of the main quest-line, which I understand can be burnt thought really quite quickly if that's one's objective?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Is there a sort of generally recommended order to go about doing things, or is it basically do whatever after White Orchard? Because, while awesome and detailed as hell, the Velen-Novigrad area is pretty overwhelming. I'm level 6, I've done the cave thing with Keira and the Baron wants me to find his wife and daughter, and other than that I'm just basically fart-arsing around doing random junk for peasants. Is there some way to get a sense of direction and progression (I have no idea how to tell if my gear is any good, for instance, and no idea how to get better stuff) outside of the main quest-line, which I understand can be burnt thought really quite quickly if that's one's objective?

I got around by constantly chasing the lowest level quests I had. If you follow the story exclusively you'll gain exp so fast you'll outlevel your sidequests almost immediately.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Main questline will still take you 50+ hours, it's huge.

Everyone is different but I've found that I have the most fun if I just forget about items, levels, pacing, etc, and just do whatever is going on in the area and move on when I'm wanting to see something else or have plundered all the nearby "?".

The overall itemization is hit or miss, but with swords/armor mostly works fine if you just let it happen naturally.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
A good idea to do is just hit up all the towns. Roach gallops stamina-free on roads, and that lets you pick up witcher contracts and get a bunch of fast-travel posts. When you get a sidequest/contract near your level you can pursue it if you want. If you encounter something too tough, make a note of it and run away.

Save every 10-15 minutes when you're open-world exploring. Its A Good Idea™.

Avoid the area southwest of Midcopse for a while though. It's mostly higher-level stuff you can circle back to when you're level 12-15ish.

You can also get to Oxenfurt and Novigrad early by just boating/swimming the river. Stay away from the bridges if you do though (they'll actually shoot at you!). Once across no one on the other side cares, and you can pick up fast travel posts to bypass the crossings later.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished this game after sinking like 100 hours into it and I already want to do another playthrough.

drat you people; my free time...

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Until you complete all the main questlines in Velen, Novigrad, Skellige, (and then a a good deal further beyond that) there is really no importance to what order you do anything. You get a very clear warning (A box will pop up and tell you to manually save and that some sidequests might become impossible to complete afterwards) when it comes to the 'point of no return' for the main plot and thats even further down the road

At least one quest involving your Witcher friend Lambert can be failed by going to Kaer Morhen before you meet him or finish the quest.

420 Gank Mid fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Do whatever you find interesting or fun. There's not much reward from leveling up or loot, if you try and grind four levels so you can equip your set of Witcher crafted gear you'll probably just massively overpower yourself. The main quest will dump huge amounts of XP on you, so you're not playing the game "wrong" if you're not leveling very fast.

If you get tired of Velen: Peasant Misery Simulator, head into Novigrad. It's beautiful and huge and a good change of pace.

The main quest chain is very long and will have you revisiting Novigrad, Velen, and Skellige anyway. Don't feel you need to complete an area's sidequests before advancing the main plot, there's higher level stuff in Velen you'll want to come back for later, as an example.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

- Visit all the yellow boards and get all the quests and then start doing them based on their level requirement in the quest log. This is helpful so that you don't level up too much in one game area, visit another game area later on only to see that there are quests there that are way below your level already.

-At first try to ride everywhere instead of using fast travel - many quests only happen when you stumble upon them and you won't stumble upon anything when you don't travel by horse/run.

-Main quest will level you up real fast so try stalling doing it until you clear all the lower level quests. Of course if that gets boring then go for the main quest anyway but you should just know that it will make you outlevel some of the side quests to the point that the experience reward from them will feel unsatisfactory.

-Or don't do any of the above, do things that seem fun, it's not a game where you have to min-max your experience point income as you'll be death incarnate after the mid-point anyway.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Also a note for anyone that is as much of a loot hoarder as I am. When you first Meet with Triss, in that immediate area The Putrid Grove in Novigrad there is a vendor that sells the max level saddlebags for a few hundred crowns, they give you 160 points of weight capacity and basically let me lug around dozens of weapons/armor pieces on top of all the crafting materials I could ever use, and I basically never have to sell or drop anything I might want to keep just to drop weight.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Really great game, only good things to say about that. I'm quite enjoying the feeling of Novingrad. It's the biggest playable city i have seen in a videogame.
One question tough: is it possible to know the level of a mission before i take the paper off the notice board? I'm at level 11 and i have so many lvl 20 and up in my journal, and it bothers me looking at them there.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
No, you only see the level once you "learn" of the quest. Just get used to having a bunch of unresolved quests in your list. Between the treasure hunts, contracts, and sidequests there are scores and scores of questlines available to you. Do what's around your level, explore, and then when you get tired of it or want a change, do some main quests.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, i love the swords in this game

Same here. I hate many RPG swords because they look so fake. Witcher gets it right.

Just got access across the Pontar and visited Oxenfurt which is really well done.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

MoraleHazard posted:

Same here. I hate many RPG swords because they look so fake. Witcher gets it right.

Just got access across the Pontar and visited Oxenfurt which is really well done.

I'm sad that the University is closed. They talk about it a lot in Witcher 1 and 2 so it was disappointing that I couldn't visit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love big cities in RPG games but more often than not we get tiny rear end Skyrim cities with 20 NPCs so Novigrad was refreshing as gently caress for me.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Taear posted:

I'm sad that the University is closed. They talk about it a lot in Witcher 1 and 2 so it was disappointing that I couldn't visit.

Blame Radovid. Tyrants aren't really fond of scholars and learned people.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moridin920 posted:

I love big cities in RPG games but more often than not we get tiny rear end Skyrim cities with 20 NPCs so Novigrad was refreshing as gently caress for me.

I just started in Novigrad yesterday, but up until then I enjoyed all the little villiages which are literally just a bunch of huts with nothing interesting about them, and a shopkeeper that just sells a bunch of poo poo you don't want.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Lareine posted:

Blame Radovid. Tyrants aren't really fond of scholars and learned people.

I love the "School is closed due to the order of our enlightened king Radovid the Stern, gently caress you Radovid (in latin)" message.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I felt Oxenfurt was lacking in content given its size, but then the first expansion is supposed to be set there, so I guess we'll spend a fair amount of time in the city by the end of the year.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't realize until nearly the end of Velen that it shared the regional map with Novigrad so throughout all of act 1 when I looked up north on the map and saw that giant city I was like "wow that's pretty big, I wonder how huge Novigrad is going to be???"

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Sindai posted:

I didn't realize until nearly the end of Velen that it shared the regional map with Novigrad so throughout all of act 1 when I looked up north on the map and saw that giant city I was like "wow that's pretty big, I wonder how huge Novigrad is going to be???"

Same here, but then I realized that the world map looks awfully familiar.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Huh. I like how the (latest DLC) witcher recognized that I was wearing cat armor when I approached him. Almost makes me wish I'd kept the wolf armor on. Neat touch.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

as a quen user i haven't needed to craft any special witcher armor. it seems like a pain to do when nothing can touch me on normal. I wish the master smiths could be paid a fee to overlook any missing components that they don't have for sale.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Real hurthling! posted:

as a quen user i haven't needed to craft any special witcher armor. it seems like a pain to do when nothing can touch me on normal. I wish the master smiths could be paid a fee to overlook any missing components that they don't have for sale.

But if you don't have the components, and they don't have the components...

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
"Here's your armor, master witcher. Per your instructions, I have replaced the leather with a mold cast of melted crowns. I do not normally give clients advice on how to use equipment, but please for Melitile's sake do not wear this thing. Ever."

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is there some way to track elapsed time in quests that are like "come back in a week to get your reward" or "go to location tomorrow."?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Many (all?) update the quest text when they're good to go.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Montalvo posted:

Is there some way to track elapsed time in quests that are like "come back in a week to get your reward" or "go to location tomorrow."?

It will automatically change from "wait a day to see X" to "Go see X" and if you wait too long it "you should see X, you never call anymore"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am trying SO HARD to not start a new game till one of the expansions comes out. I beat it a couple weeks ago and I want to go through it again, but I want to be able to enjoy the expansions...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I am trying SO HARD to not start a new game till one of the expansions comes out. I beat it a couple weeks ago and I want to go through it again, but I want to be able to enjoy the expansions...

I'm in the same boat, lurking the thread for a bit of my fisstech fix. On one hand I really want to restart, on the other it'd be a solid 100+ more hours of playtime and I dunno if I want to invest that before the expansions. Not that it wouldn't be awesomely fun, this game is just fukkin huge

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pellisworth posted:

I'm in the same boat, lurking the thread for a bit of my fisstech fix. On one hand I really want to restart, on the other it'd be a solid 100+ more hours of playtime and I dunno if I want to invest that before the expansions. Not that it wouldn't be awesomely fun, this game is just fukkin huge
Exactly. I think back about the quests I did with Kiera Metz and just "that was the same game?!?" and want to do them again. But yeah, it would be a huge investment of time to need (want) to finish the game again.

Also I am hoping that CDPR fixes up mutagen stacking, potions/oils/decoctions/bombs/ect getting their own inventory tab, general inventory improvement, the Mutagens not provided their full bonus when in slots with appropriate skills, and a few other tiny things before I play again.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

ZearothK posted:

I felt Oxenfurt was lacking in content given its size, but then the first expansion is supposed to be set there, so I guess we'll spend a fair amount of time in the city by the end of the year.

Yeah, it's sort of a shame that there's nothing much to do in Oxenfurt outside of the handful of times a quest takes you there (I think I had to visit for something maybe four or five times, tops, including the one monster contract I found there - 'The Oxenfurt Drunk'), especially how frequently it's mentioned in the books and previous games. I ended up fast travelling in a couple of times just 'cos it's the closest barber to a fast travel point (I think, anyway, or at least it's the one I could consistently remember how to get to from a fast travel point - I always forget where the ones in Novigrad are).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah, it's sort of a shame that there's nothing much to do in Oxenfurt outside of the handful of times a quest takes you there (I think I had to visit for something maybe four or five times, tops, including the one monster contract I found there - 'The Oxenfurt Drunk'), especially how frequently it's mentioned in the books and previous games. I ended up fast travelling in a couple of times just 'cos it's the closest barber to a fast travel point (I think, anyway, or at least it's the one I could consistently remember how to get to from a fast travel point - I always forget where the ones in Novigrad are).

Yeah I was hoping they'd do more with the oxenfurt university and maybe even revisit Shani since I think she went there there in the books. Explore what all the scholars are doing in this whole radovid war situation.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
they were busy knocking down religious sculptures in velen

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Yeah I was hoping they'd do more with the oxenfurt university and maybe even revisit Shani since I think she went there there in the books. Explore what all the scholars are doing in this whole radovid war situation.

Shani was mentioned, basically she's being Hero Medic (that doesn't get a Gwent card) and is probably helping some Redanian pikemen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

10 Beers posted:

But if you don't have the components, and they don't have the components...

listen you can make me a pair of pants sans monster brain. you might not want to but i'll make it worth your while.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Real hurthling! posted:

listen you can make me a pair of pants sans monster brain. you might not want to but i'll make it worth your while.

No monster brains?! Would you tell Picasso no paints?!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Brain fluids of monsters are an important part of treating the fabric!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Can I outlevel quests to the point where they will no longer give XP? I'm about to hit level 10 and my story quests are level 6, should I go do those before I continue my journey of sidequests and question marks on the map?