Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Lichtenstein posted:

It's called a prototype, dude.

You know, I knew that 3 years ago but forgot it. It still speaks volumes for how poorly documented VASSAL is, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Going to my board gaming club tonight for the first time in works. Combination of work and personal events kept me away for a while but time to go back and game again.

I also got Netrunner. Still making my mind up about it. Like the theme, like the mechanics. not fussed about the deck building side really. I only have a core set for now, and while people have said "Oh you'll be fine with a core set." the few times I've gone to a local Netrunner club people seem a bit unwilling to play either against my core decks with their own or even use my unused Runner or Corp deck while I play the other. If I've got to spend £20, £30 or £40 on data packs just to get a handful of "good cards" then to be honest, I'd rather by another Dominion expansion for that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Broken Loose posted:

You know, I knew that 3 years ago but forgot it. It still speaks volumes for how poorly documented VASSAL is, though.

The best way to go around it is to just keep CTRL-Fing this document and forget all the other wikis and poo poo. Or just git gud.

What Vassal really needs though is a one Joel Toppen-quality example module showcasing all sorts of fancy stuff without actual game content to confuse you.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I'm really tempted to try out some foamcore and make my on inserts.

I'm just not the best when it comes to crafting stuff.

How much of a hassle is working with foamcore?

And is it worth it or should I just stay with ziplock bags?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

lol "rapid"

Count put it very eloquently and kindly:

I have spent multiple nights bitching to this man about the massive pain in the rear end that is VASSAL mod construction. Sometimes it's just tedious (deck construction requiring you to individually define each card's function and front/back details without being able to save a template of any kind) and sometimes you get bizarre glitches that remove basic functionality for completely unexplained reasons. I often find myself lacking basic options until I copy-paste what I want from another module, despite there being literally no apparent difference in the source object and no documented way of unlocking the options manually. I spent 3 hours trying to fix a mysterious graphical glitch with the backs of a deck of cards only to realize the problem solved itself automatically by closing and reopening the program. VASSAL has on multiple occasions drained my entire motivation to work on projects. I'm drat near tempted to get a copy of Tabletop Simulator. Jesus loving Christ.

As much as I'll take any chance to poo poo on Tabletop Simulator (it really is horrible for actually playing games) I can see it being a relatively easy way to do virtual prototyping. I only wish you didn't have to go and muck around with template images to make cards, like why can't they just let me ctrl-a the folder that has all my card images, and drag-drop them onto the TTS window? I know the way it's built is all the images have to be stored on some image host, but they could just have the program mash the card images into the template, upload the resulting image, and presto.

Still probably easier than making a VASSAL module.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Anyone have any opinions on Harbour? My wife and I picked it up last night and it was certainly...an experience. It feels like they tried so hard to cram the rules into that small little fold out that they lost a lot of clarity. I had to read the rules twice before I could even start talking to her about how it played. Then we really got into the game and the building descriptions(whether it was words or icons) were so vague it was nearly impossible to discern what was actually intended. We ended up finding an FAQ on BGG that shed some light on how various buildings worked, but that really shouldn't be necessary for a 30 minute game. Beyond that, the suggested start for a newbie game started us with almost all $10-12 dollar buildings so it felt like a complete slog trying to finally get the resources needed to push the game forward. Finally, I purchased my fourth building, my wife realized the entire market had shifted and was only able to buy a $7 building. It felt like being the end game initiator gave you way too much sway. I can't even imagine how that would scale up in a 3-4 player game where the last person to act would have absolutely no idea what the market would look like when they needed to buy their final building.

It seems like such a missed opportunity to be honest. The actual meat and mechanics of the game are really great, but the rulebook is atrocious and would benefit greatly from at LEAST a reference in the back with a better description of how the buildings work. I think some combination of secret objectives+named characters may alleviate some of the end game conditions but again, these problems shouldn't be so glaring in an introductory game. We'll probably give it another go or two, maybe I'll take it to the shop and see if a fresh perspective makes it any better. Ultimately I guess no major loss as we only paid $12 for it.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

I found the rules pretty simple but the game was super lacklustre.

Maybe I misinterpreted something that would make the game more fun then

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Having been the one to make a Final Attack TTS module in the first place, I can absolutely say it is SO much easier than Vassal.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Having been the one to make a Final Attack TTS module in the first place, I can absolutely say it is SO much easier than Vassal.

Yeah, I've ported stuff to TTS before myself and if I can do it any idiot can. I'd recommend it for playtesting purposes and I have actually had a lot of fun just playing board games with people over it however incredibly awkward it can be for that purpose sometimes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Selecta84 posted:

I'm really tempted to try out some foamcore and make my on inserts.

I'm just not the best when it comes to crafting stuff.

How much of a hassle is working with foamcore?

And is it worth it or should I just stay with ziplock bags?

I've found it pretty easy so far, but I'm an engineer with access to drafting tools, so I can cut perfect right angles with them. You need a way to cut right angles well.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Zveroboy posted:

I also got Netrunner. Still making my mind up about it. Like the theme, like the mechanics. not fussed about the deck building side really. I only have a core set for now, and while people have said "Oh you'll be fine with a core set." the few times I've gone to a local Netrunner club people seem a bit unwilling to play either against my core decks with their own or even use my unused Runner or Corp deck while I play the other. If I've got to spend £20, £30 or £40 on data packs just to get a handful of "good cards" then to be honest, I'd rather by another Dominion expansion for that.

You can deck build using only the core set and make something decent enough to play casually against more up-to-date decks. Knowing your deck well can make up for missing some of the more synergistic cards. Netrunner DB lets you search for deck lists by the sets that you own, so that should help out if you don't like the actual process of deck building.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I really want to like Netrunner, I picked it up awhile back and played a few game with friends, and I love the themes and the unique style and asymmetry of it all. But as a game it just doesn't hold my attention for too long, I can't imagine what 'serious netrunner' would be like.

I just picked up Talisman and holy poo poo, why have I not played this game sooner? I've heard good things before but something about it just sounded generic? But I love Fantasy Flight and the idea of them revising Games Workshop sounds like a plan for success to me, so I picked it up and I'm already completely in love. The board is amazing, the art is great, the rules are simple and yet there's a freaking ton of variety.

I've bought half the expansions and I'm probably going to buy the other half before the week is through.

I'm also going to house-rule the poo poo out of this game, and I like that it seems to inherently embrace that mentality with lots of optional rules and alternate objectives.

Trying to think of how I could make my own cards that don't look completely poo poo. Probably my best bet is to buy a second copy of talisman and then put printed out cards into sleeves with real card backs? I don't want it to be obvious which cards in the deck are printed or not. I've never tried printing on cardstock, is that something Kinko's can do that won't be totally poo poo? I mean I figure even if its professional you'll be able to tell the difference versus a game card.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaphod42 posted:

I really want to like Netrunner, I picked it up awhile back and played a few game with friends, and I love the themes and the unique style and asymmetry of it all. But as a game it just doesn't hold my attention for too long, I can't imagine what 'serious netrunner' would be like.

I just picked up Talisman and holy poo poo, why have I not played this game sooner? I've heard good things before but something about it just sounded generic? But I love Fantasy Flight and the idea of them revising Games Workshop sounds like a plan for success to me, so I picked it up and I'm already completely in love. The board is amazing, the art is great, the rules are simple and yet there's a freaking ton of variety.

I've bought half the expansions and I'm probably going to buy the other half before the week is through.

I'm also going to house-rule the poo poo out of this game, and I like that it seems to inherently embrace that mentality with lots of optional rules and alternate objectives.

Nice try, but you screwed up the landing.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
I'm looking forward to the Rutibex post with pictures, I don't know why but I like looking at that crazy Talisman collection.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Serious Netrunner is basically the opposite of Talisman

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've never actually used TTS, is something that requires realtime reflexes even halfway viable? And doesn't FA! have a lot of real world gimmicks to it like pulling cards from other players' hands, how does that transfer?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Trying to think of how I could make my own cards that don't look completely poo poo. Probably my best bet is to buy a second copy of talisman and then put printed out cards into sleeves with real card backs? I don't want it to be obvious which cards in the deck are printed or not. I've never tried printing on cardstock, is that something Kinko's can do that won't be totally poo poo? I mean I figure even if its professional you'll be able to tell the difference versus a game card.

:golfclap:

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
It must be a slow day when the boardgame thread has trolls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Countblanc posted:

I've never actually used TTS, is something that requires realtime reflexes even halfway viable? And doesn't FA! have a lot of real world gimmicks to it like pulling cards from other players' hands, how does that transfer?
In a way, yes. The problem is that the physics are very wonky, so that makes most dexterity games much harder. Jenga would be impossible, for example, but Escape From The Curse Of The Temple would be very doable.

I only had the play test stuff for FA!, but most of it worked just fine. I think... maybe Jungle Speed would be maybe the furthest you could go with TTS and still have it work.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Dirk the Average posted:

I've found it pretty easy so far, but I'm an engineer with access to drafting tools, so I can cut perfect right angles with them. You need a way to cut right angles well.

Care to explain why it is so important?

As I said, I'm not really good a crafting to it might be a super simple reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bottom Liner posted:

Serious Netrunner is basically the opposite of Talisman

I didn't really mean to compare them, and I didn't actually.

I just mentioned netrunner because I have it and people were talking about it. And its fun, but I got bored with it super fast.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Countblanc posted:

I specifically designed Final Attack! to be impossible to play on Tabletop Simulator.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

I specifically designed Final Attack! to be impossible to play on Tabletop Simulator.
You failed, by the way. Worst case scenario, you just have to remove some of the Robeasts.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

You failed, by the way. Worst case scenario, you just have to remove some of the Robeasts.

Most of them. Supposing we assume TTS supports group voice chat (which requires external stuff to make work), only Fornax, Musca, Libra, Cepheus, and Hercules actually work. Saggita, Apus, Caelum, Eridanus, Microscopium, Orion, Chronos, Hydra, and Leo are pretty much impossible to use.

Specifically, the goal wasn't "make it impossible to play on TTS," the goal was to shut up people that inevitably ask, "Why don't you make this into a video game?" when presented with a cool board game (which happened with literally every thing I've done prior).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Selecta84 posted:

You're essentially building lots of little boxes. Without good right angles, the boxes don't fit together properly, which makes them take more space up, which screws up the whole layout. There is definitely some leeway, but you want it to be as precise as you can make it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Gluing is also a pain when edges don't actually line up.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

Selecta84 posted:

Give this video a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hfKaDX2P2k

Lots of tips on getting started making foam core stuff. So far I've made a really complex BSG box that holds all of the good stuff from all expansions in the original box and a fairly simple divider for One Night Ultimate Werewolf to hold the chits and player tokens in place. The ONUW divider took like half an hour, but I spent....well, way too much time on the BSG box. Considering working on a divider for Argent too. Might just get the Go7Gaming divider instead... Depends if I want to invest a bunch of time to save a little money. You can waste a ton of time if you're picky about it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That MtG: HeroScape game is on Amazon prime now. Tempted .. to .. buy .. without.. critical .. thinkenngggghghhh

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Watching Tabletop play Legendary... It's basically cooperative Ascension, huh?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ETB posted:

It's cooperative Thunderstone. Ascension is a bad derivative of Thunderstone.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Legendary is like a mild refinement of Thunderstone. Legendary Encounters: Alien is basically the game each should have been from the start

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ETB posted:

Depends… did they get the rules right? :troll:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

And Thunderstone is a bad derivative of Dominion.

Legendary is like three levels down the inbred board games family tree.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'll be honest, the most fun I've had with thunderstone was doing the "Epic Thunderstone" variant or whatever where you just throw all the poo poo in a few big piles and play it like it was Talisman, aka while doing something else for ~f~u~n~ like talking and drinking and listening to music etc etc etc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

Holy poo poo, how is Ascension worse than Thunderstone? Like, is the box full of brown recluse spiders or something?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Some deals here for 4th of July weekend:
http://boardgamewarehouse.com/deals-and-specials.html

If you want to go all in on Race or ONUW blind or something this might be your chance

Edit: Tash-Kalar $23, Marco Polo $39

Edit: BattleCON:DoI is $43 at Cardhaus today, too

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 2, 2015

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Tippis posted:

Depends… did they get the rules right? :troll:

About 10 or so minutes in I saw one rule that they didn't get "wrong" per se, but omitted something they should have done. When the first villain escapes, they're supposed to K.O. a Hero from the HQ, but they only performed the villain's "Escape" text. Didn't watch enough to see if it happened more than the one time.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Kai Tave posted:

Holy poo poo, how is Ascension worse than Thunderstone? Like, is the box full of brown recluse spiders or something?

Imagine if the entire Village of Thunderstone functioned like the Dungeon part (but without the light restriction), so you're only allowed to buy random cards as they show up (and a bunch of cards have On Buy effects). Also, the combo mechanics are much clunkier somehow, where the game forces you to make a deck out of matching card types without any way of really banking on the cards you want being available on your turn while you can afford them.

Oh, and you score points outside of your deck, so there's no risk in just buying high-VP things all the time.

And the artwork is literally drawn on lined notebook paper.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Now imagine you removed half the cards, made randomly buying and drawing matching cards even more important, replaced VP with life so your game has insane end game swinginess, and people went crazy about it because pew pew spaceship lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Speaking of deckbuilders, I tried for the first time the one that doesn't suck that isn't Dominion: Eminent Domain (with Escalation). It's a great display of how to make a good game with a deck-building mechanic without cloning Dominion except with worse card pool rules.

I mean, technically Eminent Domain has "worse" card pool rules than Dominion in that you're forced to put a card into your deck each round; but the game is built around this mechanic rather than as some gimmicky device that some designer haphazardly threw in to not be Dominion. The deck-building mechanic is essentially also a Puerto-Rico style role selection and that's really cool. Biggest complaint I see going for it is that there's little in ways of random setup even with Escalation; and I could see the Planet Deck screwing you over (less than the Junkyard deck in Arctic Scavengers though). Overall it's the only deckbuilder that wasn't Dominion that I felt was a game that thought about what deckbuilding could add to its design rather than making a deckbuilder that "fixes" Dominion.

...although my copy was missing the twenty small fighters and I had to use cubes from another game for my play. Now to wait for TMG to send spare parts....